mtbr member
    Apr 2008

OT: D-Bag fixie drafter rant

I was driving down College Avenue in Rockridge yesterday morning, going to drop the kids off at the pool.

Passed a not-hipster on a SS or fixie, who suddenly appeared in my rear-view mirror on the far right. He was either drafting off me, or had grabbed the spare tire holder to skitch a ride.

Now, if you know College Avenue in Rockridge, you know there's a ton of traffic, lots of side streets, inept pedestrians, busses, etc. All the urban hazards.

And I thought, wow, does this guy see my Yakima and think I'm a friendly biker? Because I'm not. Not on a busy shopping street, with my kids in the car, with unpredictable stuff going on.

At the light, I thought about speaking to him. And then I thought, what's that going to get me? He did it a couple more times in the next block, the turned away. I hope he had a good day.

Dropshot Champ!
    Should have sped up, he could have had a strava kom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    should have sped up, he could have had a strava kom.
    +1:d

Lightly salted
    2 words,
    Brake check

mtbr member
    I don't see the big deal, you would have no liability if he was injured and I don't think that he posed a threat to you or your kids. True it is not cool to hitch a ride on a car with or without permission nor is it safe, but why let it get to you. Like you said, he may have even been drafting instead of holding on to your car, unless he hit your car and dented or scratched it, what's the big deal.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member
    You were mistaken. That was Marty McFly on his hoverboard.

jrm
    mtbr member

Sounds like he was trying to stay

where you could see him in your rear view. i use that maneuver all the time. It's saved my ass many times
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

YESBRO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    2 words,
    Brake check
    That's a horrible idea.

That's really not even funny to joke about.

Now... get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger13 View Post
    I don't see the big deal, you would have no liability if he was injured and I don't think that he posed a threat to you or your kids. True it is not cool to hitch a ride on a car with or without permission nor is it safe, but why let it get to you. Like you said, he may have even been drafting instead of holding on to your car, unless he hit your car and dented or scratched it, what's the big deal.
    The big deal, to me, is that if he got hurt due to any of my actions, even if I'm not liable, it would still be a heavy burden to handle, if the hurt was bad. I certainly wouldn't have brake checked him, but if I had to stop suddenly due to a Oakland/Berkeley knucklehead, he'd have been in a world of hurt, and I would be sucking guilt.

The big deal is, it's uncool to put other people in that situation.

But that's just me. And I'm a lot more risk-averse since I grew up, got married, had kids, etc.

mtbr member
    I'm a pretty laid back guy and I don't think I'd be too impressed with someone grabbing my car to hitch a ride. I will say I've thought about doing it myself. But I just shoot it down right away because I remind myself that I'm on a bike to get a workout or because I enjoy it. If I wanted an effortless ride I'd just take my car.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I think I would have waited for the right opportunity to downshift and floor it and blow out his ear drums.

My car is not CA registered so I don't need to worry about CARB and thus have an extensively modified exhaust.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I think I would have waited for the right opportunity to downshift and floor it and blow out his ear drums.

My car is not CA registered so I don't need to worry about CARB and thus have an extensively modified exhaust.

eBiker
    When I ride through busy cross streets with lots of chaos, I'll follow or parallel a car going down the same street. The car acts as a shield & everyone is aware of that vehicle. It also keeps me at the pace of traffic which is another safety measure and should keep other drivers happy.

Hitching a ride doesn't sound cool tho...

... later that day ....

P

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi View Post
    You were mistaken. That was Marty McFly on his hoverboard.
    este. +1.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unless it does kill you, in which case, you wouldn't be here to dispute the point.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    That's a horrible idea.

That's really not even funny to joke about.

Now... get off my lawn!
    That was a bad joke and horrible idea, not something I would actually do. I wouldnt want the bad karma.