mtbr member
    Jan 2016

OT : Coe Open At Night and Parking Lots Open/Not Gated?

My GF and I are planning a hike at Coe where we start w/some daylight but finish as itís getting dark or is dark. W/strong headlamps of course.

Not having ever been to Coe at night I just wanted to confirm that the parking lots are open and not gated 24/7? Most likely Hunting Hollow entrance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have left my car there while backpacking many times----I do not believe there is a gate----but just call the HQ and ask

middle ring single track
    3 of Coe's entrances are open 24/7; Headquarters at the end of E Dunne Av; Hunting Hollow on Gilroy Hot Springs Rd and Bell Station Picnic Area off of Highway 152. The Coyote Creek entrance at the end of Gilroy Hot Springs Rd is likewise open but there's no legit parking there. The Dowdy entrance is seasonal weekends-only and then day use only.

Here's the page for Hunting Hollow Gilroy Hot Springs Rd. That was found here Visitor Centers and Park Entrances

It's always self-pay at HH; that lot is never staffed. For the CC entrance park at HH and hike to the gate.

Bell Station Picnic Area is no charge but it's 7 miles of gravel road past a locked gate before you get to the park proper. A bit risky to park there IMHO.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks all! We'll go out of HH tonight. Try to leave by 7:00 for a 2-3 hour hike that will get us back after dark. Should be interesting. We've done lots of long hikes in the afternoon and lamented the lack of wildlife to be seen. Going out at dusk should remedy that.