Junior flyer
    Jun 2010

OT: California Schools Podium!

America's Top Colleges - Forbes

First and second--not too shabby.

My school, Cal Poly SLO, finished 170th, but these kinds of rankings are always biased. We would have finished much higher if mountain biking and Ultimate Frisbee had been factors!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    each source (usnews, business week, etc) has some pretty wide variances, but this is the first time in my life that i've seen swarthmore, pomona and williams in the top 10.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

190lbs of climber
    Cal Poly (my school also) always finishes high when they rank only school that don't grant PhD's. I think these rankings take into account research produced and papers published, which is naturally lower at a most undergrad school with only a few masters student.

Go DOTS!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Good point! And we actually had professors teaching the classes instead of grad students.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wish they would compare Tuition vs. Avg Starting Salary for a bachelors.... It would put some of these tiny liberal arts or private schools into perspective. For example, I went to a public university in Alabama (Auburn!), and my office mate went to USC. We both had the same job, same starting salary etc.. Difference was that he paid $20k per year and I didn't pay $20k for my entire education...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After working for all these years, i finally understood is not what school you came from, but what you did with your degree that matters.

Having said that, it is surprising that the UCs didnt even register remote near the top while college in the middle of no where got high marks.

mtbr member
    High Times magazine has my school #8. Does that count?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: OT: California Schools Podium!

#72. We're usually top 20 on the ROI ranking, but a lot of that is simply location. Still, pretty much everybody I know who went there is still obsessed with it. I enjoyed.

Sent from a tricorder using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

OT: California Schools Podium!

The rankings are at hoc based on the specific factors of the organization publishing the report. In addition, trying to rate an entire school is nuts, some departments are better than others. Using the example of Cal Poly, for architecture it is one of best the schools in the country. Conversely, University of Oregon law school is not rated as high as the UC law schools because many graduates enter public service jobs which drives salaries down.

In short, trying to rate an entire school is about as reliable as trading securitized mortgages on a single number risk factor. Anyone looking at colleges should be looking at how the school is for their major, overall cost, etc. for your first job, how you perform at the school you choose is very important. 5 years after you graduate, nobody will care, they will want to know what you have done. In that regard, big name schools can help open doors, but experience and personal reputation are far more important.
    Riding slowly since 1977.