Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

OT: Bored. What did your parents Make you listen to?

I am going through a trial. My kid's music sucks! Sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!! Seriously, they have 4 stations on the radio that just play the same 10 songs over and over and there doesn't appear to be anything special about the passion or creativity...where did I do wrong here? I had a brief encounter with Disco in my youth but saved it early with Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd....u get it I presume.

My parents took me to Woodstock when I was 2...we left when it started raining. Me, I recall lots of Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor...Bach and that. Wife's parents were hooked on Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka...agh. Let's hear it...what did your parents make you listen to?
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lot's of awful 80's music. My mom was really into Jazzercise, and still does it at the age of 66. LOT'S of Stevie Wonder, which isn't that bad.

My Dad liked Lionel Richie.

Found my way the first time I heard Public Enemy on the UCSC radio station. Shortly after, discovered Black Flag, NWA, etc.

my body breaks the falls
    I hear ya on the radio crap. My 13 year old girls are stuck on all that junk too. I'm almost welcoming losing my hearing as I age.
    I was like you - lucky enough to have diversity in the music of my youth. From Leon Russel to AC/DC. My dad was an audiophile too, so it always sounded awesome. Some of the more memorable "Sunday morning wake-ups"
    - Bob Seger
    - Leon Russel
    - Janis Joplin
    - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    - Tchaikovsky
    - Zepplin
    - Dave Brubeck

I remember my friends freaking out that my dad would crank Highway to Hell. For a few weeks I had the coolest dad in the neighborhood
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Ah, my mom loved Earth, Wind, and Fire. Me, well not so much

My sons are into similar music I am, but my daughters follow after their mom - they love country music. Once again - me, not so much

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My parents are both musicians and had a band. I was constantly listening to Beatles, Eagles, Doobie Brothers. There was also Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I would say I got a pretty decent exposure to some good music at a young age. Then my dad bought Van Halen's 1984 and ZZ Top's Eliminator when I was nine years old. I have been stuck on the heavy rock since then.

My mom used to complain that all the music on the radio had the same 4/4 beat. She would listen to Dixie Dreggs, as well as classical. She played piano and violin. Now I am heavily into progressive stuff like Planet X and Liquid Tension Experiment and I blame it on her. Unfortunately, it made me somewhat of a music snob. Or maybe that's not such a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Beatles (dad). and l loved it!

Resident Curmudgeon
    From my Parents Beethoven, Bach, Stravinsky, etc early on. followed by Folk Music , Peter Paul and Mary, Chad Mitchell Trio, Joan Baez etc. But then in the family restaurant the jukebox played Hendrix, Procol Harem, Led Zepplin, Beach Boys, Elvis, War, Mungo Jerry, The Dead, Traffic and so on....good times

Me I liked Punk Rock from early on Ramones, Black Flag, PIL Anthrax later it was Butthole Surfers, Janes Addiction, Beasty Boys, Angry Samoans. Green Day, Can't stand top 40
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    My parents would say they listened to "both types of music, country and western."
    Older stuff. Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Crystal Gayle, John Denver, etc.

I tormented them with rap. NWA, Ice T, Too Short, Two Live Crew, Public Enemy.
    My musical tastes turned around in high school. The UCD frat party scene was alive with seriously good bands that were starting to breakout. Green Day, Korn, Oleander were all regulars around Davis in the early nineties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

(slight return)
    "Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

FWIW, my daughter is into Sublime and MIA and the Doobie Brothers. Hoping it stays that way but she recently mentioned a "boy band" which immediately got vetoed.

-slide

It's about showing up.
    KSFO-Don Sherwood, Al "Jazzbo" Collins.

Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Kay Starr, Tony Bennet, Jack Jones, Ed Ames, Harry Belafonte, Everly Brothers, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Andy Williams, Lena Horne, Patti Page.
    I don't rattle.

padded
    My parents were older and not into rock n roll so I grew up listening to the crooners, folkies like Pete Seeger and the Kingston Trio (don't laugh, "MTA" is still an awesome song), bad country, and musicals. Knowing all the lyrics to Camelot didn't make me a lot of friends in middle school, and a sense of humor shaped by Tom Lehrer and Victor Borge only made it worse. They tolerated my interest in punk and rap in high school but I think my bringing home Bauhaus and Big Black must have made them worry I'd gone deaf.
    Despite being raised on Rancid and first-wave ska, WheelsJr likes dub step and synth-heavy disco, and he's got all his fave artists bookmarked on Pandora so we don't listen to the radio much. I've actually grown to like some but most annoy the piss out of me. As long as he doesn't get into Justin Bieber or One Direction I think I can handle it.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    The Motown Sound is what spun on our record player and got chewed up in the 8-track player when we traveled. I rebelled in the late 80's, turned to punk rock in the 90's, then industrial in the 2000's and now I am finding my way back to my roots......some smooooth motown jams.

So I listen to gospel to skinny puppy to new country to motown.......I hope my kid doesn't turn out a screwed up as I am...musically speaking I think it's too late because he's a WCT trained (in-training) pianist who wants to start a garage band. I'm shooting for a backyard band because I do not want his friends in eye shot of my tools and bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    prarie home companion. life on lake wobegon.

mtbr member
    This is cracking me up! (Slide, your kid is quite possibly the coolest kid ever...i still remember seeing her trying to boost some air as we prepped to ride earlier this year...good times...and Herb Albert is way ok in my book)

oh yeah, Willie Nelson had a home at the Davidson's. If anyone is looking for some excellent parent tunes try Cat Stevens on Pandora. Monty Python and Steve Martin were also highly regarded...keep em coming!
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My dad was the rolling stones and my mom was the beatles. I still remember the Griswold style road trips. First stop was the music store where we would get exactly 2 new cassette tapes. Some examples (you guess which parent picked what)
    Linda Rondstadt vs. The Motels
    The Eagles vs. ZZ Top
    Steve Miller Band vs. KC and the Sunshine Band

Other than that my dad was strictly vinyl through all the trends - from Eric Clapton to Billy Joel all the way up to the Black Keys. He's finally gone digital but I think that's for the portability of it all. My mom added the classical music and opera plus donated an inordinate amount of love for Elton John to my musical schizophrenia.

First music album (we had a bunch of storybook albums): the point By Nillson
    First album I bought myself: Quiot Riot, my brothers: Rick James
    Most embarrassing purchase: Vanilla Ice or New Edition, but I was young and I think it was my brother who bought Vanilla Ice.
    I toyed with rap for a while particularly in the late 80's early 90's but my favorite genres involve heavy bass guitar or steel drums.
    Most recent purchases: Bassnectar, and Autonomics

mtbr member

from zero to hero

To this day, I am consistently having to explain 60's and 70's music to my parents, and my wife's parents? Where TF were they?

There were a few Beatles albums lying about the house while I grew up, sure, but I think my dad, as a doctor, famously said that he had "no time for music". My mom had easy listening on the radio...Debbie Boone, Engleburt Humperdinck, and whatnot.

But why is it that *I* need to explain all the pop-music references from that generation to my parents and my wife's parents? ........that, for example, yes "Dusty" can be a girl's name! Dusty Springfield. You guys don't remember Dusty Springfield?! --somewhat obscure reference now, sure, but THEY should know more about who that is, not ME...you get my point.

For my part, I've always been hip to it. I had to discover AC/DC and KISS myself. I noticed that the 60s and 70s were awesome, but that the 80s was the penultimate decade for rock/pop music (90s being largely a nosedive, and the 00s being a time now where you really need to pick your bands carefully). For all intents and purposes, it appears that the 80s (and the entire history of pop/rock music) peaked on the legendary and unforgettable Memorial Day weekend in 1983, out near San Bernadino, CA, at Steve Wozniak's *US Festival*, which featured:

New Wave Saturday: INXS, Oingo Boingo, Flock Of Seagulls, Stray Cats!, Men At Work, The Clash!, etc.
    Heavy Metal Sunday: Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, etc.
    Modern Rock Monday: Los Lobos, U2!, Pretenders!, Stevie Nicks, David Bowie!, etc.

Heavy Metal Sunday dominated the event (of course!) while *setting the USA's single-day concert attendance record* at 375,000 people! It is generally agreed that Judas Priest put on the most brilliant performance of the US Festival.

Lesser known fact: My brother's leg fell asleep in the afternoon heat during The Flock Of Seagulls, and when we were getting up to go grab a hamburger, he (a big boy; leg still asleep, mind you) fell completely on top of a leathered biker dude and his topless sunbathing girlfriend next to us -- *completely* decimating the guy's cheap beer cooler and more-or-less getting his grubby hands momentarily intertwined with the girlfriend.

Serenity now!
    My folks were WW2 era, so I got to listen to Big Band music. Good old Glenn Miller-good stuff!

Fortunately my older brothers and sister liked music too, so I also heard the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, and the Steve Miller Band.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=slide mon;9903528]"Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

/QUOTE]

Yeah, my folk had that album too. I remember long gazes at that cover and feeling strange, strange stirrings.
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

Save Jesus
    My parents listen to classical and I listen to Classical so there is no problem.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    This is cracking me up! (Slide, your kid is quite possibly the coolest kid ever...i still remember seeing her trying to boost some air as we prepped to ride earlier this year...good times...and Herb Albert is way ok in my book)
    More good times ahead! Going to be down your way end of the year, let's ride if you're around (and you should come back up here again for a ride that will test that mojo HD )

-slide

mtbr member
    My mom took me to see Neil Diamond and lots of Broadway musicals.

My 4 year-old son's favorite song is Crazy Train, followed by Seven Nation Army and Nellie the Elephant by the Toy Dolls.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I grew up with Peter Paul and Mary, Vicki Carr, Tijuana Brass, Niel Young and Cat Stevens.
    One day I found all my old cassette tapes in my 14 year old son's room, along with an old walkman. Who, Zep, Beatles. And REM, Cars, Devo. He had thought he would be in trouble for listening to them so he was keeping it hidden. Could have been worse I guess. At least I never had to deal with Rap in my house, no offense.

Uncle
    Snoring, mostly.

My parents were 'tweeners: Too young - or "refined" to be Elvis fans, but had kids by the time the acid droppin' hippies were dancing during Nam. They landed somewhere at the junction of Beatnik and Folkster (they were in some overlapping circles with Joan Baez supposedly).

I listened mostly by choice to The Beatles, Peter, Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkel, some Bellafonte, Judy Collins, John Denver - mostly my mom's stuff. My dad liked the Beatles too, but I remember him bringing home the Eagles "Hotel California" album, and my older brother (who was too young to be as big a Zeppelin fan as he was) and I both rocked out to Life in the Fast Lane; My dad scored some serious cool points that day.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

ballbuster
    Heh... my mom had a full stash of Firesign Theater. ... and Cat Stevens, S&G, Judy Collins, that kinda stuff.

My dad was into Zappa, ELO, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, and a bunch of acid rock kinda stuff I never heard of.

My parents are so cool.

My 2.5 year older sister was into David Cassidy. My other sister who is 9 years older was into disco, funk, EW&F, stuff like that, and Jackson 5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by primordial View Post
    ...Lesser known fact: My brother's leg fell asleep in the afternoon heat during The Flock Of Seagulls, and when we were getting up to go grab a hamburger, he (a big boy; leg still asleep, mind you) fell completely on top of a leathered biker dude and his topless sunbathing girlfriend next to us -- *completely* decimating the guy's cheap beer cooler and more-or-less getting his grubby hands momentarily intertwined with the girlfriend.
    Waiting for the resolution...I'm thinking blood and chaos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast