Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT: Bored. What did your parents Make you listen to?

4K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  Bikemaya 
#1 ·
I am going through a trial. My kid's music sucks! Sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!! Seriously, they have 4 stations on the radio that just play the same 10 songs over and over and there doesn't appear to be anything special about the passion or creativity...where did I do wrong here? I had a brief encounter with Disco in my youth but saved it early with Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd....u get it I presume.

My parents took me to Woodstock when I was 2...we left when it started raining. Me, I recall lots of Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor...Bach and that. Wife's parents were hooked on Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka...agh. Let's hear it...what did your parents make you listen to?

#31 ·
The 'make' is not literal here though I do have a rule that when the same Maroon 5 song has been played three times on a road trip in the first 10 minutes, we parents get to listen to one of our songs. I also, spend most of my time on 103.3, 90.5, 90.1, 89.7 which is college radio...I am sure to not hear the same song twice in a week.

#34 ·
My mom was an opera singer, so I could sing along with Die Fledermaus as a kid, but I didn’t learn about the wheels on the bus going round and round until I was in my 30’s. :) My favorite as a kid was Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Dad and I would listen to that over and over while I did homework and he did paperwork at home.
But my much older siblings would play Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, lynyrd skynyrd, Boston etc. in the car.
My kids love the beach boys, country music, Taylor Swift. They are all over the map. :)

#36 ·
My dad was a workoholic so I dont remember him ever listening to music.
My mom listen/danced to Billy Jean & Tom Jones on the turn table while vacuuming the house.
My mom also bought me single 45 LPs like Village Peoples 'Macho Man'.
My older bro listen to Abba Gold & Jay Gyles Band.
My older sister listen to Thompson Twins & Material Girl.
So basically I was screwed!! Until.....

MTV!!!!:band:
I remember seeing the video '74 JailBreak for the first time. I wanted to be Bon Scott all that next summer. I was ruined from rock/metal....well I still am.

#43 · (Edited)
I was raised on: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beach(ed) Boys (blah!!!), Leo Kottke, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Fleetwood Mac, Jean-Michel Jarre, various Windham Hill label artists (such as Michael Hedges), Jim Croce, Queen, Sammy Haggar, Jimmy Buffett and The Coral Reefer Band, Ray Charles, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Wayne Shorter, Billy Cobham, and of course Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.