Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT: Bored. What did your parents Make you listen to?

4K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  Bikemaya 
#1 ·
I am going through a trial. My kid's music sucks! Sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!! Seriously, they have 4 stations on the radio that just play the same 10 songs over and over and there doesn't appear to be anything special about the passion or creativity...where did I do wrong here? I had a brief encounter with Disco in my youth but saved it early with Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd....u get it I presume.

My parents took me to Woodstock when I was 2...we left when it started raining. Me, I recall lots of Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor...Bach and that. Wife's parents were hooked on Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka...agh. Let's hear it...what did your parents make you listen to?

#2 ·
Lot's of awful 80's music. My mom was really into Jazzercise, and still does it at the age of 66. LOT'S of Stevie Wonder, which isn't that bad.

My Dad liked Lionel Richie.

Found my way the first time I heard Public Enemy on the UCSC radio station. Shortly after, discovered Black Flag, NWA, etc.

#3 ·
I hear ya on the radio crap. My 13 year old girls are stuck on all that junk too. I'm almost welcoming losing my hearing as I age.
I was like you - lucky enough to have diversity in the music of my youth. From Leon Russel to AC/DC. My dad was an audiophile too, so it always sounded awesome. Some of the more memorable "Sunday morning wake-ups"
- Bob Seger
- Leon Russel
- Janis Joplin
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Tchaikovsky
- Zepplin
- Dave Brubeck

I remember my friends freaking out that my dad would crank Highway to Hell. For a few weeks I had the coolest dad in the neighborhood :)

#5 ·
My parents are both musicians and had a band. I was constantly listening to Beatles, Eagles, Doobie Brothers. There was also Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc. I would say I got a pretty decent exposure to some good music at a young age. Then my dad bought Van Halen's 1984 and ZZ Top's Eliminator when I was nine years old. I have been stuck on the heavy rock since then.

My mom used to complain that all the music on the radio had the same 4/4 beat. She would listen to Dixie Dreggs, as well as classical. She played piano and violin. Now I am heavily into progressive stuff like Planet X and Liquid Tension Experiment and I blame it on her. Unfortunately, it made me somewhat of a music snob. Or maybe that's not such a bad thing.

#7 ·
From my Parents Beethoven, Bach, Stravinsky, etc early on. followed by Folk Music , Peter Paul and Mary, Chad Mitchell Trio, Joan Baez etc. But then in the family restaurant the jukebox played Hendrix, Procol Harem, Led Zepplin, Beach Boys, Elvis, War, Mungo Jerry, The Dead, Traffic and so on....good times

Me I liked Punk Rock from early on Ramones, Black Flag, PIL Anthrax later it was Butthole Surfers, Janes Addiction, Beasty Boys, Angry Samoans. Green Day, Can't stand top 40

#8 ·
My parents would say they listened to "both types of music, country and western."
Older stuff. Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Crystal Gayle, John Denver, etc.

I tormented them with rap. NWA, Ice T, Too Short, Two Live Crew, Public Enemy.
My musical tastes turned around in high school. The UCD frat party scene was alive with seriously good bands that were starting to breakout. Green Day, Korn, Oleander were all regulars around Davis in the early nineties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
"Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

FWIW, my daughter is into Sublime and MIA and the Doobie Brothers. :thumbsup: Hoping it stays that way but she recently mentioned a "boy band" which immediately got vetoed.

-slide

#18 ·
"Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

/QUOTE]

Yeah, my folk had that album too. I remember long gazes at that cover and feeling strange, strange stirrings. :???:

#11 ·
My parents were older and not into rock n roll so I grew up listening to the crooners, folkies like Pete Seeger and the Kingston Trio (don't laugh, "MTA" is still an awesome song), bad country, and musicals. Knowing all the lyrics to Camelot didn't make me a lot of friends in middle school, and a sense of humor shaped by Tom Lehrer and Victor Borge only made it worse. They tolerated my interest in punk and rap in high school but I think my bringing home Bauhaus and Big Black must have made them worry I'd gone deaf.
Despite being raised on Rancid and first-wave ska, WheelsJr likes dub step and synth-heavy disco, and he's got all his fave artists bookmarked on Pandora so we don't listen to the radio much. I've actually grown to like some but most annoy the piss out of me. As long as he doesn't get into Justin Bieber or One Direction I think I can handle it.

#12 ·
The Motown Sound is what spun on our record player and got chewed up in the 8-track player when we traveled. I rebelled in the late 80's, turned to punk rock in the 90's, then industrial in the 2000's and now I am finding my way back to my roots......some smooooth motown jams.

So I listen to gospel to skinny puppy to new country to motown.......I hope my kid doesn't turn out a screwed up as I am...musically speaking :D:D:D:D:D I think it's too late because he's a WCT trained (in-training) pianist who wants to start a garage band. I'm shooting for a backyard band because I do not want his friends in eye shot of my tools and bikes :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#14 ·
This is cracking me up! (Slide, your kid is quite possibly the coolest kid ever...i still remember seeing her trying to boost some air as we prepped to ride earlier this year...good times...and Herb Albert is way ok in my book)

oh yeah, Willie Nelson had a home at the Davidson's. If anyone is looking for some excellent parent tunes try Cat Stevens on Pandora. Monty Python and Steve Martin were also highly regarded...keep em coming!

#20 ·
This is cracking me up! (Slide, your kid is quite possibly the coolest kid ever...i still remember seeing her trying to boost some air as we prepped to ride earlier this year...good times...and Herb Albert is way ok in my book)
More good times ahead! Going to be down your way end of the year, let's ride if you're around (and you should come back up here again for a ride that will test that mojo HD :thumbsup: )

-slide

#15 ·
My dad was the rolling stones and my mom was the beatles. I still remember the Griswold style road trips. First stop was the music store where we would get exactly 2 new cassette tapes. Some examples (you guess which parent picked what)
Linda Rondstadt vs. The Motels
The Eagles vs. ZZ Top
Steve Miller Band vs. KC and the Sunshine Band

Other than that my dad was strictly vinyl through all the trends - from Eric Clapton to Billy Joel all the way up to the Black Keys. He's finally gone digital but I think that's for the portability of it all. My mom added the classical music and opera plus donated an inordinate amount of love for Elton John to my musical schizophrenia.

First music album (we had a bunch of storybook albums): the point By Nillson
First album I bought myself: Quiot Riot, my brothers: Rick James
Most embarrassing purchase: Vanilla Ice or New Edition, but I was young and I think it was my brother who bought Vanilla Ice.
I toyed with rap for a while particularly in the late 80's early 90's but my favorite genres involve heavy bass guitar or steel drums.
Most recent purchases: Bassnectar, and Autonomics

#16 ·
from zero to hero

To this day, I am consistently having to explain 60's and 70's music to my parents, and my wife's parents? Where TF were they?

There were a few Beatles albums lying about the house while I grew up, sure, but I think my dad, as a doctor, famously said that he had "no time for music". My mom had easy listening on the radio...Debbie Boone, Engleburt Humperdinck, and whatnot.

But why is it that *I* need to explain all the pop-music references from that generation to my parents and my wife's parents? ........that, for example, yes "Dusty" can be a girl's name! Dusty Springfield. You guys don't remember Dusty Springfield?! --somewhat obscure reference now, sure, but THEY should know more about who that is, not ME...you get my point.

For my part, I've always been hip to it. I had to discover AC/DC and KISS myself. I noticed that the 60s and 70s were awesome, but that the 80s was the penultimate decade for rock/pop music (90s being largely a nosedive, and the 00s being a time now where you really need to pick your bands carefully). For all intents and purposes, it appears that the 80s (and the entire history of pop/rock music) peaked on the legendary and unforgettable Memorial Day weekend in 1983, out near San Bernadino, CA, at Steve Wozniak's *US Festival*, which featured:

New Wave Saturday: INXS, Oingo Boingo, Flock Of Seagulls, Stray Cats!, Men At Work, The Clash!, etc.
Heavy Metal Sunday: Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Van Halen, etc.
Modern Rock Monday: Los Lobos, U2!, Pretenders!, Stevie Nicks, David Bowie!, etc.

Heavy Metal Sunday dominated the event (of course!) while *setting the USA's single-day concert attendance record* at 375,000 people! It is generally agreed that Judas Priest put on the most brilliant performance of the US Festival.

Lesser known fact: My brother's leg fell asleep in the afternoon heat during The Flock Of Seagulls, and when we were getting up to go grab a hamburger, he (a big boy; leg still asleep, mind you) fell completely on top of a leathered biker dude and his topless sunbathing girlfriend next to us -- *completely* decimating the guy's cheap beer cooler and more-or-less getting his grubby hands momentarily intertwined with the girlfriend.

#25 ·
...Lesser known fact: My brother's leg fell asleep in the afternoon heat during The Flock Of Seagulls, and when we were getting up to go grab a hamburger, he (a big boy; leg still asleep, mind you) fell completely on top of a leathered biker dude and his topless sunbathing girlfriend next to us -- *completely* decimating the guy's cheap beer cooler and more-or-less getting his grubby hands momentarily intertwined with the girlfriend.
Waiting for the resolution...I'm thinking blood and chaos.

#22 ·
I grew up with Peter Paul and Mary, Vicki Carr, Tijuana Brass, Niel Young and Cat Stevens.
One day I found all my old cassette tapes in my 14 year old son's room, along with an old walkman. Who, Zep, Beatles. And REM, Cars, Devo. He had thought he would be in trouble for listening to them so he was keeping it hidden. Could have been worse I guess. At least I never had to deal with Rap in my house, no offense.

#23 ·
Snoring, mostly.

My parents were 'tweeners: Too young - or "refined" ;) to be Elvis fans, but had kids by the time the acid droppin' hippies were dancing during Nam. They landed somewhere at the junction of Beatnik and Folkster (they were in some overlapping circles with Joan Baez supposedly).

I listened mostly by choice to The Beatles, Peter, Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkel, some Bellafonte, Judy Collins, John Denver - mostly my mom's stuff. My dad liked the Beatles too, but I remember him bringing home the Eagles "Hotel California" album, and my older brother (who was too young to be as big a Zeppelin fan as he was) and I both rocked out to Life in the Fast Lane; My dad scored some serious cool points that day.

#24 ·
Heh... my mom had a full stash of Firesign Theater. :thumbsup: ... and Cat Stevens, S&G, Judy Collins, that kinda stuff.

My dad was into Zappa, ELO, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, and a bunch of acid rock kinda stuff I never heard of.

My parents are so cool.

My 2.5 year older sister was into David Cassidy. :rolleyes: My other sister who is 9 years older was into disco, funk, EW&F, stuff like that, and Jackson 5.

#26 ·
My parents didn't make me listen to anything. All kids define themselves at different stages, and one of the ways they do that is via music. My 13-year-old is very social, and in touch with what her peers think in an extremely fine way. She is just coming out of the other side of a phase where she listened to awful teeny-bopper, Disney-inspired music. But she always had a streak of personal taste intertwined, and she tends toward a genre that isn't the most popular among her peers. Now I catch her listening to good stuff, varied stuff, stuff that isn't so popular. My 15-year-old has always listened to "boy music." That was his definition of what he liked when he was 5 or 6. He has picked up some good stuff from me I think, but he's definitely his own man. I catch what he's listening to when the headphones come off, or when I watch one of the mtn bike movies he's made.

Meanwhile my wife and I have a sizeable music collection, and my kids sometimes hear it, whether they like it or not. Hopefully it's varied enough that they get something from it.

Don't make your kids listen to anything. Encourage them to listen to music, any kind of music, even if it drives you batshit crazy. Same with any other form of art. It helps them develop into who they are and will be. It shouldn't be what you like, necessarily. It definitely won't be, as they start to pull away and define themselves. But hey, when they get older they will probably turn you onto some music that's new to you, and totally rocks.

Another Dad

#27 · (Edited)
Aagro-- Regarding my bro's US Festival mis-step & the resolution... blood and chaos? It should have been, but I was 13 and skinny and fast as hell, I was long gone before all of the pieces of the exploded cooler and ice had returned to earth. My big brother...he could talk his way out of anything-- and I do mean ANYTHING. He took full advantage of everyone's paralysis / sheer astonishment: he emitted some B.S., and then scrammed before any blood spilled or FURTHER chaos descended.

#28 ·
My dad was always listening to jazz in the 60s and 70s- usually radio- KBCA in LA- great music though I really did not appreciate it at the time but grew to love it. I can still remember listening to his Brazilian 8 track tapes on road trips in the Pontiac Bonneville- Sergio Mendes , Cal Tjader, etc- classic stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.