Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bicycle rider
    My parents didn't make me listen to anything. All kids define themselves at different stages, and one of the ways they do that is via music. My 13-year-old is very social, and in touch with what her peers think in an extremely fine way. She is just coming out of the other side of a phase where she listened to awful teeny-bopper, Disney-inspired music. But she always had a streak of personal taste intertwined, and she tends toward a genre that isn't the most popular among her peers. Now I catch her listening to good stuff, varied stuff, stuff that isn't so popular. My 15-year-old has always listened to "boy music." That was his definition of what he liked when he was 5 or 6. He has picked up some good stuff from me I think, but he's definitely his own man. I catch what he's listening to when the headphones come off, or when I watch one of the mtn bike movies he's made.

Meanwhile my wife and I have a sizeable music collection, and my kids sometimes hear it, whether they like it or not. Hopefully it's varied enough that they get something from it.

Don't make your kids listen to anything. Encourage them to listen to music, any kind of music, even if it drives you batshit crazy. Same with any other form of art. It helps them develop into who they are and will be. It shouldn't be what you like, necessarily. It definitely won't be, as they start to pull away and define themselves. But hey, when they get older they will probably turn you onto some music that's new to you, and totally rocks.

Another Dad

mtbr member
    Aagro-- Regarding my bro's US Festival mis-step & the resolution... blood and chaos? It should have been, but I was 13 and skinny and fast as hell, I was long gone before all of the pieces of the exploded cooler and ice had returned to earth. My big brother...he could talk his way out of anything-- and I do mean ANYTHING. He took full advantage of everyone's paralysis / sheer astonishment: he emitted some B.S., and then scrammed before any blood spilled or FURTHER chaos descended.
    Last edited by primordial; 11-26-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add the word FURTHER

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My dad was always listening to jazz in the 60s and 70s- usually radio- KBCA in LA- great music though I really did not appreciate it at the time but grew to love it. I can still remember listening to his Brazilian 8 track tapes on road trips in the Pontiac Bonneville- Sergio Mendes , Cal Tjader, etc- classic stuff.

partsman
    Dec 2007
    the ink spots, the McQuire sisters, spade cooly, corla pandet, tommy dorsey, benny goodman

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I am going through a trial. My kid's music sucks! Sucks, sucks, SUCKS!!! Seriously, they have 4 stations on the radio that just play the same 10 songs over and over and there doesn't appear to be anything special about the passion or creativity...where did I do wrong here? I had a brief encounter with Disco in my youth but saved it early with Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd....u get it I presume.

My parents took me to Woodstock when I was 2...we left when it started raining. Me, I recall lots of Grateful Dead, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor...Bach and that. Wife's parents were hooked on Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Neil Sedaka...agh. Let's hear it...what did your parents make you listen to?
    And I look upon you with scorn. You, listening to Classic Rock radio that plays the same 10 Hendrix, Zeppelin & Floyd songs over & over & over.

Who made you the Music God who determines what music is worth listening to?

Here is your penance.

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    The 'make' is not literal here though I do have a rule that when the same Maroon 5 song has been played three times on a road trip in the first 10 minutes, we parents get to listen to one of our songs. I also, spend most of my time on 103.3, 90.5, 90.1, 89.7 which is college radio...I am sure to not hear the same song twice in a week.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Finch Platte;9913647]

QUOTE]

Would you please do me a HUGE favor and spend a full day listening to nothing but 101.3, 99.7, 106.5, 97.3 (in the Bay Area) and get back to me on how your day went.

Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Sweat is just fat crying.
    [QUOTE=squashyo;9913852]
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

QUOTE]

Would you please do me a HUGE favor and spend a full day listening to nothing but 101.3, 99.7, 106.5, 97.3 (in the Bay Area) and get back to me on how your day went.

Lol. I refuse to listen to the radio! You can't make me!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    My mom was an opera singer, so I could sing along with Die Fledermaus as a kid, but I didnít learn about the wheels on the bus going round and round until I was in my 30ís. My favorite as a kid was Sorcererís Apprentice. Dad and I would listen to that over and over while I did homework and he did paperwork at home.
    But my much older siblings would play Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, lynyrd skynyrd, Boston etc. in the car.
    My kids love the beach boys, country music, Taylor Swift. They are all over the map.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Jim Neighbors, yeah I said it - Gomer Freakin' Pyle! And at christmas, Johnny Mathis.

mtbr member
    My dad was a workoholic so I dont remember him ever listening to music.
    My mom listen/danced to Billy Jean & Tom Jones on the turn table while vacuuming the house.
    My mom also bought me single 45 LPs like Village Peoples 'Macho Man'.
    My older bro listen to Abba Gold & Jay Gyles Band.
    My older sister listen to Thompson Twins & Material Girl.
    So basically I was screwed!! Until.....

MTV!!!!
    I remember seeing the video '74 JailBreak for the first time. I wanted to be Bon Scott all that next summer. I was ruined from rock/metal....well I still am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Had to listen to my parents getting it on...used to wake up crying because I thought they were fighting..

As far as music, my parents were 40 when I was born in 60'. I had to up with big band stuff..still have all their records.
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Classic rock. I loved it, still do. One of my favorites has always been Queen. When Vanilla Ice released Ice, Ice, Baby, I nearly cried. No one knew the song I was singing, and I didn't know the horrible (c)rap they were singing. I had a conflicted childhood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher View Post
    My parents didn't make me listen to anything. All kids define themselves at different stages, and one of the ways they do that is via music. My 13-year-old is very social, and in touch with what her peers think in an extremely fine way. She is just coming out of the other side of a phase where she listened to awful teeny-bopper, Disney-inspired music. But she always had a streak of personal taste intertwined, and she tends toward a genre that isn't the most popular among her peers. Now I catch her listening to good stuff, varied stuff, stuff that isn't so popular. My 15-year-old has always listened to "boy music." That was his definition of what he liked when he was 5 or 6. He has picked up some good stuff from me I think, but he's definitely his own man. I catch what he's listening to when the headphones come off, or when I watch one of the mtn bike movies he's made.

Meanwhile my wife and I have a sizeable music collection, and my kids sometimes hear it, whether they like it or not. Hopefully it's varied enough that they get something from it.

Don't make your kids listen to anything. Encourage them to listen to music, any kind of music, even if it drives you batshit crazy. Same with any other form of art. It helps them develop into who they are and will be. It shouldn't be what you like, necessarily. It definitely won't be, as they start to pull away and define themselves. But hey, when they get older they will probably turn you onto some music that's new to you, and totally rocks.

Another Dad
    Wow. This is one of the best things I've ever read on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    The 'make' is not literal here though I do have a rule that when the same Maroon 5 song has been played three times on a road trip in the first 10 minutes, we parents get to listen to one of our songs. I also, spend most of my time on 103.3, 90.5, 90.1, 89.7 which is college radio...I am sure to not hear the same song twice in a week.
    KSCU
    KSJS
    KZSU
    KFJC

Do I get nerd points?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Classic rock. I loved it, still do. One of my favorites has always been Queen. When Vanilla Ice released Ice, Ice, Baby, I nearly cried. No one knew the song I was singing, and I didn't know the horrible (c)rap they were singing. I had a conflicted childhood
    Under Pressure is the jam.

mtbr member
    A couple things I've learned from this thread...

A) You guys are old.
    B) Squashyo knows how to start an OT thread.
    C) We need the "What did you make your parents listen to"? thread.

NONDURO
    I was raised on: Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beach(ed) Boys (blah!!!), Leo Kottke, Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Fleetwood Mac, Jean-Michel Jarre, various Windham Hill label artists (such as Michael Hedges), Jim Croce, Queen, Sammy Haggar, Jimmy Buffett and The Coral Reefer Band, Ray Charles, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Wayne Shorter, Billy Cobham, and of course Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 11-30-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=Bigfoot;9904910]
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    "Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

/QUOTE]

Yeah, my folk had that album too. I remember long gazes at that cover and feeling strange, strange stirrings.
    King of the thrift store record shelves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Under Pressure is the jam.
    Oh, trust me. I know. One of my favorites

One of my other favorites is the theme they did for Highlander, Princes of the Universe. Don't judge!! THAT is my kind of power ballad! Most of my favorites are from their late stuff, because that was the stuff that came out when I was growing up and listening

My parents didn't have the heart to tell me when Freddy died, because I was too young. I found out a couple years later when I expressed how much I wanted to see a Queen concert

Besides Queen, the cassettes I remember playing the most were Elton John and Moody Blues. I think I also would pop in Earth, Wind, and Fire every once in a while too. I honestly picked out music according to what the album art looked like, because I could never keep track of who was who! I made a point to remember my favorites, which were Queen (Live Killers), Elton John (Yellow Brick Road), and Moody Blues (ETA: I had to look up the album, cause I only remember the cover art. It was 'Voices in the Sky: Best of Moody Blues'). My dad got a big CSN collection at one point too, and I liked those quite a bit as well. Otherwise, I kept the radio on the same classic rock station all the time. I loved everything that they played

My mom's music collection was holiday music and musicals. I stayed out of her stuff

For some reason, my dad now listens to a lot of easy listening and smooth jazz. I am a bit ashamed

I don't really listen to much Moody Blues or Elton John anymore. I like a much harder rock sound... except when I don't, of course I just mix all the classic rock up, and listen to Queen only slightly more than the others

Oh, and I am not old! I was just raised with good taste
    Last edited by Bikemaya; 11-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    "Up, up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon"

... and Jesus Christ Superstar (which if I recall correctly featured Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, so not that bad.)

And this. Don't remember what it sounded like, just remember the cover....

FWIW, my daughter is into Sublime and MIA and the Doobie Brothers. Hoping it stays that way but she recently mentioned a "boy band" which immediately got vetoed.

-slide
    Funny I've got that LP amongst other classic rock albums. Funny thing I'm the one that got my parents into listening music... I remember getting 1984 and they said what is the his headbanger stuff!

mtbr member
    If the classics fail, this is my next move.....actually it rocks too.

jrm
    mtbr member

Yeah im bored

beatles, steely dan, jeff beck, herb albert & TJ brass, stevie wonder, aretha franklin, boz skeggs, glenn campbell, honk, broadway shows, classical and opera.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Bach. My mom would play Brandenburg concertos and the Well-Tempered Clavier like daily. Lots of flamenco guitar as well - and they made me learn to play that as well. I did not really mind.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    For some reason, my dad now listens to a lot of easy listening and smooth jazz. I am a bit ashamed
    My dad grew out of the smooth jazz phase about twelve years ago, but all he listens to now is blues, and he criticizes everyone who does NOT listen to the blues.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast