Thread: OT: Bird Pix...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OT: Bird Pix...

i hope you don't mind, but my wildlife pix get some good reviews here so i thought i would tempt fate again....here are a couple of hummingbird shots from late saturday afternoon at our feeders, and then this evening when i got home from playing golf....ummm, i mean from work, there were two great horned owls on top of trees back behind our house screeching at each other...or maybe sceeching for their friends or parents perhaps...anyway, difficult light at dusk but i did the best i could. enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Bird Pix...-_dsc3970.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-_dsc3946.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-_dsc4013.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-_dsc4026.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome. I really like the 2nd owl pic. Interesting eyes and camo feathers.

mtbr member
    Nicely done! Details? Cam, lens, exposure?

Owls are so friggin cool.

swag ho Administrator
    my daughter likes your pictures.

fc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Nicely done! Details? Cam, lens, exposure?

Owls are so friggin cool.
    i love seeing the owls, but at least near me they are rarely seen and are never seen when the light is good. only at dusk, and sometimes we can hear them in our trees at night but that doesn't do me any good in terms of pix.

all of the pix were taken with a nikon d3s with 500mm vr lens. the hummingbirds (i can't bring myself to call them 'hummers'!) were all shot at 1/4000 sec shutter speed, lens pretty wide open at f/4, with some at higher iso. i've been schooled by my pro and advanced amateur friends to slow the shutter speed down a bit and to shut the lens down a tad as well. i'll try that next time to see if i can draw more detail out of the shots that way. spot metering on the little guys, the light was so bright they seemed to be exposed better that way. on the owls, i really just ran inside and grabbed the camera and started shooting before it got dark. these were somewhere between 1/500-1/800 second, lens around f6.3, some shot at very high iso (12,000 or so)...the camera is amazing at high iso shots and they clean up well in post processing as you can see.

it was way cool to see the owls up close, and i hope the screeching sound doesn't mean they were in any distress...

glad you like 'em!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Those pictures are incredible!

Photography is on my long list of things to get better at, your pictures give me motivation!
    Nicely done

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Trying my luck at posting pix... Cohen hope you don't mind stinking up your thread with my attempts...
    Hummingbird at Independence Lake, Mtn Chickadee (aka "Cheeseburger bird" because that's what you hear them say in the Sierra all spring and summer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Bird Pix...-065-cropped.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-baby-bird-cropped-2.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-072-cropped.jpg  

OT: Bird Pix...-i-lake-humming-bird-2-cropped.jpg  

mtbr member
    I was riding demo a couple weeks back coming down Corral when I saw this bird coming in hot to my right. Even though I was closing in on 30mph down the straight away, managed to pull my iPhone out and capture this shot. Pretty lucky shot really:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Bird Pix...-screen-shot-2012-09-13-10.00.46-am.jpg  

Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I was riding demo a couple weeks back coming down Corral when I saw this bird coming in hot to my right. Even though I was closing in on 30mph down the straight away, managed to pull my iPhone out and capture this shot. Pretty lucky shot really:
    taken with my iphone 3

fc

mtbr member
    Sharp Shinned or Cooper's Hawk in my front yard. I have a hard time distinguishing between the two. Every time I see one I go look it up, but I never remember the differences when I see one again

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'd have to look that up in a book...cool shot though. we have lots of hawks around and i've posted on some sightings in our local trees...but lately they are staying high and far away from my camera!

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    i hope you don't mind, but my wildlife pix get some good reviews here so i thought i would tempt fate again....here are a couple of hummingbird shots from late saturday afternoon at our feeders, and then this evening when i got home from playing golf....ummm, i mean from work, there were two great horned owls on top of trees back behind our house screeching at each other...or maybe sceeching for their friends or parents perhaps...anyway, difficult light at dusk but i did the best i could. enjoy!
    Wow, these are so cool!

default title
    Mar 2008
    Best raptor ID guide: Wheeler's "Raptors of Western North America".
    Juv & adult shots from multiple angles.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Great pix! I've got a friend who retired from the tech industry, moved to Florida and makes a living just taking and selling bird photographs!

As a contribution, here are a couple I took on a walk around Redwood Shores last weekend

From Redwood Shores - Sep 2012

From Redwood Shores - Sep 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: Bird Pix...-img_9556.jpg