mtbr member
    Oct 2009

OT: AMA SuperSport: Elena Myers Makes History

I know her Dad, Matt, from Stockton Motorplex and raced against (well, lost against, badly... ) against Elena when she was just a little girl - WTF? She's still a little girl! I also used to run some of the SuperMoto Trackday events there and she'd always ride with us. Anyhow, it's amazing to see her come up the way she has. We all knew from the get-go that Elena was gifted.

AMA SuperSport Report

Elena Myers, a teenager from Discovery Bay, made history on Saturday at Infineon Raceway, becoming the first female in history to win an AMA Pro Motorcycle Road Race.

Myers, who came close to victory earlier this season in Fontana (fourth) and Daytona, Fla. (seventh), came away with the win in the SuperSport class in front of a roaring hometown crowd in the Sonoma Valley.

Elena Myers says: "I'm in another world right now," Myers said minutes after the race. "I can't believe it."

Myers (Suzuki) started eighth on the grid of the scheduled 18-lap race and moved her way through the field. She passed race-leader Joey Pascarella (Vacaville) on lap 9.

Pascarella lost control of his Ducati just long enough for Myers to pass on the inside entering Turn 7.

Pascarella crashed in Turn 10 on the same lap, bringing out the red flag. AMA officials declared the race final at that point, giving Myers the win. She was followed by top-qualifier Cameron Beaubier from Roseville (Yamaha) and Petaluma's Tyler O'Hara (Yamaha). Pascarella wound up 18th.

Myers continues: "I'm just on another planet right now," said Myers, who just attended her high school prom a few weeks ago and was competing in her first-ever professional race at Infineon Raceway. "The race went really good for me and some people made mistakes and I took advantage of it. It's great to be at the top of the box. I don't think it has quite sunk in yet."

O'Hara understood the historical significance of Myers' victory.

"I think it's huge for the sport," he said. "I think Elena just broke the barrier as a woman on a motorcycle at the top level. I'm proud of her, and happy and I like racing with her. ... it's going to bring a lot more fans and some more sponsors and make everything better."

VIDEO from KRON: http://www.facebook.com/video/video....6962429&ref=nf

mtbr member
    Woohoo!!! Fast chicks are hot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m.
    Woohoo!!! Fast chicks are hot!
    Elena Myers, a teenager from Discovery Bay...

bike buster
    18 = Teenager.

Haha!

I love on that show when those dirtbags go "I wasn't gonna do nothin, I swear! I know it's wrong! I just came to hang out!" and Chris Hanson replies with "... but you brought beer and condoms." Oh man, the look on their faces is priceless.

mtbr member

Beats me....

Was it worse for those boys to be beat by a girl or by a teenager?
    Hats (helmets) off to Elena!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "A RIDE, that's a GOOD IDEA!"

V-Shaped Rut
    I remember reading an article in sport rider a few years back about her. Awesome! I always though motorsports to be one of the equalizers between men and women. After all, the motor is doing the work, you just bring the skill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    After all, the motor is doing the work, you just bring the skill.
    One needs a ton of strength to handle these machines, think of the abs you need just to stay on the bike during corneriing and braking.

Congrats to Elena, I'd like to see her in MotoGP!

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    One needs a ton of strength to handle these machines, think of the abs you need just to stay on the bike during corneriing and braking.

Congrats to Elena, I'd like to see her in MotoGP!
    I'm a sportbike rider. Its really not so much strength. My quads will get a burn shifting to one side or the other to hang off for corners. Abs not really. Forearms a little bit.

You don't need to be strong, you just need some specific endurance. Its well within the reach of any woman. The physical ability I mean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion

Hahah!! I knew she's a teenager, dummy. Hot doesn't need to mean "hot." Hahaha!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    At that level of racing, physical endurance is definetely an issue. Even when I was racing sportbikes you can feel it. Supermoto and offroad is a major workout, I've personally ridden with Elena (even got some great on board camera stuff), and she can whip around a 450 fourstroke as well as any grown man. It's quite amazing. Oh, and she can wheelie like a hooligan.

brake later, pedal sooner
    i quit riding on the track and was going to race AFM... but wow, ive seen elena before out at stockton years ago and at thunderhill within the past couple of years... and she's smoking fast. congratulations to her on the podium, that f'n rocks.

if i could only convert all of my motorcycle skill into mountain biking i'd be where i'd want to be at
    http://www.railmaster.net/r1/r1sparky.jpg

Pee's in the H8teraid
    I'm a sportbike rider. Its really not so much strength. My quads will get a burn shifting to one side or the other to hang off for corners. Abs not really. Forearms a little bit.

You don't need to be strong, you just need some specific endurance. Its well within the reach of any woman. The physical ability I mean.
    Umm, No.
    There is a huge difference between riding a Sportbike and Racing one..Especially racing one at Sears Point.

Congrats to Elena!
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Congrats Elena!

mtbr member

Pushing it

As far as upper body strength, one of the Suzuki team members told me that they expect that the riders are going to be doing the equivalent of six push ups a lap, maybe more at a track like Sears P....so that 6x22 in 30-45 min with a lot else going on....

Last edited by twistgripper; 05-17-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    "A RIDE, that's a GOOD IDEA!"

V-Shaped Rut
    You're off base if you're trying to educate me, I know the difference between riding and racing and I was not saying that I get anything like a workout road riding, lol!

My comment was in regards to the "ton of strength" comment. Absolute strength is the maximum amount of force a muscle can generate at one time.

Muscular endurance is the ability to sustain repeated contractions over time, usually against a much lighter resistance than testing absolute strength.

Powelifters have absolute strength, sportbike racers have muscular endurance, particularly in the quads, upper arms/shoulders and forearms. I doubt there are many 200+ lb bench pressers in the MotoGP grid. You need to be conditioned, not strong.

The pushup analogy is a good one. Men and women are both capable (with a little conditioning) of doing 130-150 pushups over half an hour to 45 minutes.

The whole point I was making (sorry if it got lost in people reading in to my comments), is that there are no significant PHYSICAL barriers to women entering the sport, even at a high level. And that is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by DucDucGoose
    Umm, No.
    There is a huge difference between riding a Sportbike and Racing one..Especially racing one at Sears Point.

Congrats to Elena!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    FWIW, I'm also friends with Jocelin Veilleux (Snow is her married name) and she is a super-fast gal; very talented. She used to race the 250's in the AMA and gave the men a run for their money back in the 90's and early '00's. Unfortunately, she had a horrible accident that pretty much ended her professional racing career.

She now teaches off-road and can ride a SuperMoto like a champ. I really hope Elena can make it far without an accident like what Jocelin experienced

Another fast gal who's older but still races pro, is Michelle Disalvo. INCREDIBLE Supermoto and flattrack rider. It's quite humbling to be going as fast as you could around a turn on your SuperMoto and see Michelle slide around you like you're standing still.

*I think Elena was slightly faster, though*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistgripper
    As far as upper body strength, one of the Suzuki team members told me that they expect that the riders are going to be doing the equivalent of six push ups a lap, maybe more at a track like Sears P....so that 6x22 in 30-45 min with a lot else going on....
    Good analogy. I used to think of it as a bodyweight bench press while keeping my touch at the controls delicate enough to play a game of "Operation". Deep braking moves tired me out more than anything else in my roadracing days.

I started off racing motorcycles - with experience in AFM, WSMC, AMA, and WERA Endurance racing. I discovered mountain biking when I was trying to come back from a big roadracing crash, when I eventually realized that mountain biking is cheaper, healthier, and even more fun than racing motorcycles! Finally sold my track / racebike a couple of months ago, and haven't looked back

Quote Originally Posted by twistgripper
    Was it worse for those boys to be beat by a girl or by a teenager?
    Hats (helmets) off to Elena!
    I would guess that Elena is treated as an equal by her competitors. Those aren't inexperienced track day riders or club guys she's dealing with. If she's any more of a target than anyone else up there, it's because she is so well known and highly regarded.

BTW, I've already recruited another one of the riders in that SuperSport race into the mountain bike world. Yet another one has expressed interest in it as well, after feeling fatigued during a club sprint race.

Just doing my part to turning motorcyclists into mountain bikers, one rider at a time

V-Shaped Rut
    Its funny you mention that, I've been considering selling my sportbike because I spend so much time on the pedal bikes these days. Plus the expense is so much less, potential for SERIOUS injury (hospital stay) is much less, health benefits, and..... it is just fun as hell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I still have my hooligan bike (DRZ400SM), which is a step down from the beasts I was riding before. I love that bike - problem is, is that I can't not ride it like an idiot. I ride up and down stairs, jump loading docks, jump railroad tracks, wheelies, stoppies, spin 180's and 360's - it's like having a BMX bike with a motor. Heck, we've even ridden cement skateboard parks on our SuperMotos.

I also have a CRF250X so at least if I'm going to be goofing off, I can do it on the trail (of course out of sight of rangers). But alas, I get my trail fix on my MTB's and it's all right outside my door.

I love having my motos, but the way I want to ride my SuperMoto lands tickets in a big way. If there was such a thing as a street legal trials bike, I'd be in prison.

I have grown to hate sportbikes.