Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

OT: 2011 Subaru WRX

13K views 121 replies 40 participants last post by  flipnidaho 
#1 ·
I've never really driven any Subarus but I got to try this one for a couple of days. It is $25k, has the STI wide body and 265 hp.

I've driven quite a few cars with 300 hp but I've never driven one this fast. It is just unbelievable with 0-60 in 4.7 seconds according to Car and Driver. It's even faster than the STI.

Derek and I call this car the whiplash car. It hits and corners that hard! Cool thing is it's got a lot of suspension travel so it is not harsh.

Now there's a lot of cheap parts in the interior, specially the radio. but when you get past 3000 rpm, all is forgiven.

Btw, I try to drive safe even when testing a car. I have a spotless driving record and I try to envision my wife is roadbiking in front of me when I'm on a mountain road. Cause she might be! That being said, this car is too fast for me. I'm trying to get a Golf Diesel!

The Subaru engine sounds funny. Plus it makes this whining noise every few seconds.

Attachments

See less See more
1 10
#30 ·
shredchic said:
The hood scoop is functional - it's not just an ornament. It goes to the intercooler for the engine. But, yeah, it probably has an effect on the aerodynamics. The 2011 scoop seems much more low profile than on my 2004.
Shredchic is your sub a blue wagon? I think I've seen it parked in boggs before. "not being nosey, you just notice that kind of thing when you live in a small town like Cobb" conditions sure are sweet in there right now!!

#31 ·
Thanks for the review, I just bought one of those bad boys, WRX 2011 Satan White Pearl color, hatch back. Only problem is I had to special order it, still waiting but it will be worth the wait. Hope to get it by end of this month or beg. Dec. So stoked on the photo you took with the bike in it! Was not sure if I could get my bike in but now I know:D

#32 ·
francois said:
That's the thing... there is no sway. There is no understeer. And the thing is comfortable! Great tires too. I think they use old STI suspension on this car.

All the cars I own have upgraded suspension. It's easy to screw up the ride IMHO. I'm sure the WRX can be improved, specially for the track.

But indeed the best upgrade in general is a bigger rear swaybar. It reduces the normal understeer programmed into cars for lame drivers.

fc
Not really, the engine location creates an unrdersteer condition. It can be countered, but its always present when the car is pushed to the limits. The 2009 wrxs were stiffened up, and the new ones have a wider track, but its not an sti, with sti anti-sways, aluminum parts, better shocks, and so on (there are still a lot of differences).

The 08s were a bit lame, but otherwise the other years are pretty good.

#34 ·
friends 06 wrx got stuck on an unplowed road near south lake tahoe. Like...4? inches of snow on the ground. Going up a hill, it was juuuust starting to plow it when he got stuck.

The dodge driver that towed him out said...

"legendary subaru awd huh?"

i laughed my ass off!

#35 ·
Nice! If something ever happens to my Legacy GT wagon, I'll probably have to get a WRX 5-door since Subaru stopped making Legacy wagons a few years ago in favor of the jacked-up Outback. :madman:

Good to know that a bike fits w/ the front wheel turned. The difference is I can get a six-foot plus bike into the back of my wagon w/ the wheel straight.

#36 ·
I'm seriously eying the WRX STI for my next car. The performance and HP is very impressive, but I also think the price tag is pushing luxury sedan, or used Porsche 911 range. Not that $35 - 40K is unreasonable for the performance and handling you are getting, it's just a little hard to spend that kind of money when my price range is realistically in the mid $20s. I'll be looking for low mileage used for sure.

My wife drives a 4 cylinder outback and it is the most gutless car (to the point of frustration when you need to get out in front or pass) I have ever been in. It's reliable though and just unreal in snow or off-road. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Subaru, especially one that can more than get out of its own way.

#37 ·
redmr2_man said:
friends 06 wrx got stuck on an unplowed road near south lake tahoe. Like...4? inches of snow on the ground. Going up a hill, it was juuuust starting to plow it when he got stuck.

The dodge driver that towed him out said...

"legendary subaru awd huh?"

i laughed my ass off!
We had to get our 4-runner towed out by a subaru legacy one time near Kirkwood. The "4wd" system on the 4-runner at the time simply sent the most power to the wheel with the least traction, horrible.

One thing though, if you have street performance tires on your WRX/STI, it ain't going to do very well in snow. Tires make a huge difference. It's also easy to over-power your traction with the HP/turbo. Otherwise there's just knowing how to drive and techniques associated with snow-driving.

#38 ·
isleblue65 said:
I'm seriously eying the WRX STI for my next car. The performance and HP is very impressive, but I also think the price tag is pushing luxury sedan, or used Porsche 911 range. Not that $35 - 40K is unreasonable for the performance and handling you are getting, it's just a little hard to spend that kind of money when my price range is realistically in the mid $20s. I'll be looking for low mileage used for sure.

My wife drives a 4 cylinder outback and it is the most gutless car (to the point of frustration when you need to get out in front or pass) I have ever been in. It's reliable though and just unreal in snow or off-road. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Subaru, especially one that can more than get out of its own way.
Yep, that's why the standard WRX is special. It gets you the most awesome performance in the $25k range. The other contenders are the Mazadaspeed 5 which is a rocket but is really flawed in 2wd form.

The STI is expensive. And now the WRX has closed the gap with the identical flared out body.

The new 4-cyclinder Outback is so slow it's funny. You can't get into trouble in harsh weather. But you can't accelerate out of trouble either.

fc

#39 ·
Spokeman said:
Thanks for the review, I just bought one of those bad boys, WRX 2011 Satan White Pearl color, hatch back. Only problem is I had to special order it, still waiting but it will be worth the wait. Hope to get it by end of this month or beg. Dec. So stoked on the photo you took with the bike in it! Was not sure if I could get my bike in but now I know:D
Lucky!!!! Any good deals out there?

That bike is a 16 inch Kona btw. But I didn't have to push the front passenger seat forward.

fc

#41 ·
francois said:
Yep, that's why the standard WRX is special. It gets you the most awesome performance in the $25k range. The other contenders are the Mazadaspeed 5 which is a rocket but is really flawed in 2wd form.

The STI is expensive. And now the WRX has closed the gap with the identical flared out body.

fc
To add to this, the WRX is more comfortable to drive in every day conditions than the STI due to the 5 speed transmission and softer suspension. I do like the look of the wide body, but I'm happy with my 2009's more professional, subdued, and cop-friendly look. I believe 2012 will bring a complete redesign for the Imprezas, so if you are on the fence about the purchase, you may want to wait.

It's also important to look at the obvious contender in this space, the Lancer Ralliart. At the time I was buying, Mitsu only offered a dual-clutch gearbox with the paddle shifters and that was a big turn off for me. I also wanted the convenience that the WRX hatchback offers. However, rumors were going around that the 2011 Ralliart now offers a standard 5 speed manual transmission. I'll take the jellybean WRX over the Lancer Sportback any day.

#42 ·
francois said:
Lucky!!!! Any good deals out there?

That bike is a 16 inch Kona btw. But I didn't have to push the front passenger seat forward.

fc
I think I did ok, I bought the limited, leather and HID Lights, total out the door, tax, etc.. $30,100. Bought it at Capitol Subaru, they are great to deal with. It's $800 below invoice. Still alot of $$ but I went for it, should do all I want it to do and then some! Yeah I'm going to have to get the rack on top for hauling the bikes, I ride 20 in. bikes. I can't wait for this it's killing me! :madman:

#44 ·
Captain Cobb said:
Shredchic is your sub a blue wagon? I think I've seen it parked in boggs before. "not being nosey, you just notice that kind of thing when you live in a small town like Cobb" conditions sure are sweet in there right now!!
Yeah, I know - the town is so small, lol - that's most likely me :) I wonder if we've even run into each other on the trails before? I have a Ibis mojo, black, and briefly struggled up a fireroad alongside another rider last weekend. Beautiful weather this weekend, sunny with the wind blowing through the trees. I feel silly asking everyone I meet on the trails what their mtbr handle is, but probably should, lol.

#45 ·
I wonder how the WRX handling is compared to STi? Lots of power/ torque with cushy body roll and understeer would lose the point, though I'm sure it's not that bad.

Spokeman, do you have a photo of your new ride? I'd like to see it!

#47 ·
isleblue65 said:
I wonder how the WRX handling is compared to STi? Lots of power/ torque with cushy body roll and understeer would lose the point, though I'm sure it's not that bad.

Spokeman, do you have a photo of your new ride? I'd like to see it!
I test drove the STI and WRX. STI has a "harsher ride" more rally car/race car feel, I liked the STI but could not justify the price. WRX feels more driveable all around everyday car which is what suits me more. I don't have the car yet, it's being built to my spec. with the options I wanted, short throw shifter, all weather floor mats, SPC turbo boost gauge, and car cover. I'm thinking I should add the SPT Exhaust, the sound is incredible with this exhaust maybe add this later. I will post pics as soon as I get this bad boy.

#50 ·
rensho said:
How much is insurance on a WRX or STI for 6mos?

For the outback, the XT is a decent option when power is preferred.
My insurance thinks my impreza wrx wagon is an "impreza wagon", so it's not very expensive (even though they full well know it's the wrx). Sti would be more I'm sure.

#51 ·
Spokeman said:
I'm thinking I should add the SPT Exhaust, the sound is incredible with this exhaust maybe add this later. I will post pics as soon as I get this bad boy.
Hold off on that, there are usually much better exhausts out there, plus if you aren't doing a downpipe+full exhaust, it's not really doing anything for you (other than sounding different). A turbo-back exhaust can mean some pretty impressive gains in a turbo car, not that you have to program to take advantage of them, but doing the "axle back" or even "cat back" exhaust doesn't really have much of an effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.