Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 179
  1. #1
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305

    Organizing Cheering Section for Mike V's Arraignment Tomorrow 6/2 2PM

    I can probably go tomorrow. Who else is in?

    What rules of the courthouse should we be aware of beforehand?

    I assume pictures are allowed in courthouses?

    WILEY W. MANUEL COURTHOUSE
    661 Washington Street, Oakland
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  2. #2
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Pants are optional from my past court dates.

    Please take pictures.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,094
    Rules: no weapons, cameras or recording devices in the courtroom (w/o press pass). Dress professionally/respectfully: it's a courthouse. Put on a collared shirt, or suit up as for work. No outbursts, cheering or disruption. No soy products. (Okay, made that last one up)

    Cameras ARE allowed outside in the public venue... look for him, stake it out, have others outside to verify where he goes. Send the press to interview him.

    I'd think a DSLR with a rapid frame rate and a 200mm lens ought to be effective for many photos of the perpetrator, from a safe distance. He's apparently known to bite, after all.

  4. #4
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    No way I can make it, much as I'd like to. I used up my day-off last Friday. I'd wear an MTB jersey, but not mtbr.com please. Bring a drawing pad if you can draw. I always loved those courtroom drawings. Someone take notes. It will be quick. He'll plead not-guilty and they'll set another court date of some kind.

    Be cool, as in silent and respectful. Don't antagonize the defendant (other than wearing a jersey to identify why you are there). This isn't the hearing scene from Animal House.

  5. #5
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Rules: no weapons, cameras or recording devices in the courtroom (w/o press pass). Dress professionally/respectfully: it's a courthouse. Put on a collared shirt, or suit up as for work. No outbursts, cheering or disruption. No soy products. (Okay, made that last one up)

    Cameras ARE allowed outside in the public venue... look for him, stake it out, have others outside to verify where he goes. Send the press to interview him.

    I'd think a DSLR with a rapid frame rate and a 200mm lens ought to be effective for many photos of the perpetrator, from a safe distance. He's apparently known to bite, after all.
    Not sure if I want to bring my good camera - in the unlikely event Mike causes any trouble. Nevertheless - will do what I can to get some decent pics!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  6. #6
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,644
    Is it going to be a general araignment or a formal one. IOW is there a scheduled time for him to appear or is it one of those things where you could be sitting in the benches for hours on end?

    I might just have to attend myself.

    EDIT..from the other thread.

    Party Name Hearing Date/Time Department Case Type Case Number
    VANDEMAN, MICHAEL JOSEPH 02-Jun-2010 14:00:00 112 Criminal 00443657

    WILEY W. MANUEL COURTHOUSE
    661 Washington Street, Oakland

    Dept Floor Judge/Comm.
    112 6A THOMPSON-STANLEY, TRINA (SJ)

  7. #7
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,644
    *X-post from the other thread..

    For posterity.. I am now also in posession of the print off of that page. Gonna keep it for a while then consider whether or not to auction it off on ebay when I'm in my later years and needing cold hard cash.

    The ad will read.. "The Other Day The World of Mountain Biking Changed".

    I'm also trying to reach Mike Sinyard as well as Gary Fisher..if anyone has more pull please get in touch with them and ask that they please show up at this hearing as representatives of our industry it will create a strong powerful presence the press can't help but ignore.

    Quote Originally Posted by http://police.berkeley.edu/bulletins/05282010.htm

    Daily Activity Bulletin
    University of California, Berkeley
    Police Department
    Date: Friday, May 28, 2010
    Case Number and Assigned
    Classification(s) Synopsis
    Officer(s)

    .
    Communications M. Erazo
    Corporal T. Zuniga

    .
    10-02122
    Alarm Activation 12:12 AM - Alarm activation #2000054201. Unknown cause, reset. M. Wyckoff


    .
    10-02123
    12500a VC 2:10 AM - WU, Yiting (FA-20-O) cited for being an unlicensed driver, 2600 N. Hernandez

    blk Durant.

    .
    10-02124
    Fire 4:10 AM - Trash can fire, IFO 2610 Channing Way. BFD responded, M. Wyckoff

    extinguished by UCPD.

    .
    Field Interview Card 3:00 AM - Suspicious person, IFO 2515 Channing: C. Manchester

    (FB-32-O).

    .
    Field Interview Card 3:20 AM - Lodging, Crossroads: M. Miceli

    (FW-52-O).

    .
    Communications A. Duffy

    T. Morrison
    Sergeant(s) M. Shipman

    .
    10-02125
    Alarm Activation 6:30 AM - Alarm activation #2000037803, employee error: RODRIGUEZ, M. Shipman

    Carmen (FHA-E), reset.

    .
    10-02126
    148 PC 7:38 AM - CASTELBLANCO, Seamus (MW-27-O) resisting arrest and duty R. Florendo
    834 PC to submit to arrest, JGP. Warrant to be sought. Under investigation. A. Jacobs


    .
    10-02127
    245 PC 9:07 AM - (MW-33-O) victim of assault via saw, East/West Trail. S. Aranas
    626.6 PC

    SUSPECT: VANDEMAN, Michael J (MW-67-O) arrested for two counts of

    assault with a deadly weapon, and excluded from UC campus for 7 days,

    3025 Bateman St, Berkeley, to BPD Jail. Case closed.

    .
    10-02128
    Alarm Activation 10:03 AM - Alarm activation R. Florendo

    A. Jacobs

    Page 1 of 2

  8. #8
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,764

    Are there bike racks there?

    Great reason to hit merchants and last stand. Wear what you'd wear if riding.. Also its BART close...
    Last edited by jrm; 06-01-2010 at 06:58 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,670
    From my limited experiences in courthouses - no hats or sunglasses.

    Big thank you to every body that is going. Wish I could be there.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  10. #10
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    997
    Send my KPIX neighbor camera man and Gary Fisher messages referencing these two threads.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    What time does the tailgate party start?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Crazy is as crazy does. This needs to haunt him forever.

  13. #13
    YESBRO!!!
    Reputation: datenschwanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    Is he in custody or not? If he is he will be brought in through a secure area and if not, then he may enter through the front door like the rest of us (non-perps).

  14. #14
    Young, Shawn Young
    Reputation: Redmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,101
    Here are the charges and a picture:

    http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

    Dont make me be the bad guy...

    Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peletonnissen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    304
    wish I could attend, in fact everyone at the shop would love to be there.. Get some good photos Chuck!!!

    Perhaps when this is all said and done, I can have this story published in BIKE.....would be a great article!!
    Ibis Cycles
    www.ibiscycles.com

  16. #16
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Very likely ROR since he lives in the neighborhood and has owned his house for many years.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    I have a meeting. I hope a ton of MTB'ers show up and cause such a rukus that it makes the news tonight. Please report back here!

  18. #18
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    ... and video!

    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Pants are optional from my past court dates.

    Please take pictures.
    Most digital cameras take pretty decent quality video these days.

  19. #19
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I have a meeting. I hope a ton of MTB'ers show up and cause such a rukus that it makes the news tonight. Please report back here!
    I don't plan on raising any sort of "ruckus." I plan on attending, taking pictures when possible and taking notes. I don't want to be involved with any effort that makes us look like a frenzied fringe group.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  20. #20
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Most digital cameras take pretty decent quality video these days.
    Not allowed in court, is it?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  21. #21
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Anybody contact the media?

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I can probably go tomorrow. Who else is in?

    What rules of the courthouse should we be aware of beforehand?

    I assume pictures are allowed in courthouses?

    WILEY W. MANUEL COURTHOUSE
    661 Washington Street, Oakland
    Seems to me this has sensationalism all over it. I mean, a vigilante cutting mountain bikers? I dunno... could backfire. I would just love to see him all over the 6 o'clock news.

  22. #22
    graps the nettle
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    490

    brilliant!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I have a meeting. I hope a ton of MTB'ers show up and cause such a rukus that it makes the news tonight. Please report back here!
    that'll make us mountain bikers look like a great buncha folks in the public eye, won't it? awesome idea...

    mob mentality, no matter how righteous the mob thinks it is, or how seemingly justified the behavior seems in the heat of retaliatory anger, always ends up ugly. let the process take place. crazy old kook is going to court, and there is already a mountain of evidence. organizing a "cheering section" sounds just a little bit creepy to me. unless you were directly assaulted by the guy, do you really have any reason to be there? "to see that justice is carried out"? no.

    if you really get off on watching the process of our court system at work, please at least be respectful of the proceedings and stand silent witness. causing a ruckus will only make us look like a bunch of rabid ******s, which then lumps us in the same crazy boat as ol' mikey V as far as the general public is concerned.
    hold my beer...

  23. #23
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF
    that'll make us mountain bikers look like a great buncha folks in the public eye, won't it? awesome idea...

    mob mentality, no matter how righteous the mob thinks it is, or how seemingly justified the behavior seems in the heat of retaliatory anger, always ends up ugly. let the process take place. crazy old kook is going to court, and there is already a mountain of evidence. organizing a "cheering section" sounds just a little bit creepy to me. unless you were directly assaulted by the guy, do you really have any reason to be there? "to see that justice is carried out"? no.

    if you really get off on watching the process of our court system at work, please at least be respectful of the proceedings and stand silent witness. causing a ruckus will only make us look like a bunch of rabid ******s, which then lumps us in the same crazy boat as ol' mikey V as far as the general public is concerned.
    It ain't gunna happen, Mike. Of those I know of planning to attend - all are mellow dudes. (Except for me of course - but I'll behave! )

    There is real value in knowing what happens at this hearing. In knowing what the outcome is, etc. Mountain bikers need to know who this guy is - to protect ourselves and avoid confrontation when we cross paths.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF
    that'll make us mountain bikers look like a great buncha folks in the public eye, won't it? awesome idea...

    mob mentality, no matter how righteous the mob thinks it is, or how seemingly justified the behavior seems in the heat of retaliatory anger, always ends up ugly. let the process take place. crazy old kook is going to court, and there is already a mountain of evidence. organizing a "cheering section" sounds just a little bit creepy to me. unless you were directly assaulted by the guy, do you really have any reason to be there? "to see that justice is carried out"? no.

    if you really get off on watching the process of our court system at work, please at least be respectful of the proceedings and stand silent witness. causing a ruckus will only make us look like a bunch of rabid ******s, which then lumps us in the same crazy boat as ol' mikey V as far as the general public is concerned.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this whole thing is getting creepy.

  25. #25
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Anybody contact the media?

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I can probably go tomorrow. Who else is in?

    What rules of the courthouse should we be aware of beforehand?

    I assume pictures are allowed in courthouses?

    WILEY W. MANUEL COURTHOUSE
    661 Washington Street, Oakland
    Seems to me this has sensationalism all over it. I mean, a vigilante cutting mountain bikers? I dunno... could backfire. I would just love to see him all over the 6 o'clock news.

  26. #26
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    It's not creepy. When the judges and DAs see there are people watching, they will be less likely to seek a lower level charge to get a faster resolution and spend less in resources.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Seems to me this has sensationalism all over it. I mean, a vigilante cutting mountain bikers? I dunno... could backfire. I would just love to see him all over the 6 o'clock news.
    Stienstra might care about this. Not sure about the TV peeps, kinda doubtful. Maybe contact the reporter from KTVU who did the piece on trail access in Marin about a year ago. Mike Mibach I believe.

  28. #28
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Here are the charges and a picture:

    http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm

    Priceless!!!


    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF
    that'll make us mountain bikers look like a great buncha folks in the public eye, won't it? awesome idea...

    mob mentality, no matter how righteous the mob thinks it is, or how seemingly justified the behavior seems in the heat of retaliatory anger, always ends up ugly. let the process take place. crazy old kook is going to court, and there is already a mountain of evidence. organizing a "cheering section" sounds just a little bit creepy to me. unless you were directly assaulted by the guy, do you really have any reason to be there? "to see that justice is carried out"? no.

    if you really get off on watching the process of our court system at work, please at least be respectful of the proceedings and stand silent witness. causing a ruckus will only make us look like a bunch of rabid ******s, which then lumps us in the same crazy boat as ol' mikey V as far as the general public is concerned.
    Give me a break.

    This is a courthouse with armed bailiffs and police officers everywhere.

    I think a nice show of bike solidarity is cool, but I bet 3 mountain bikers show up.

  30. #30
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Give me a break.

    This is a courthouse with armed bailiffs and police officers everywhere.

    I think a nice show of bike solidarity is cool, but I bet 3 mountain bikers show up.
    I'm with you on that. Even as these threads show, the bike community is all about themselves before the community, and can never put petty differences and ego aside long enough to get anything done.

  31. #31
    Fat Guy Riding
    Reputation: jschwart73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    I second MtotheF's message - Stand silent witness. We will be much better perceived if we are the victims and he is the perp. Do not engage in any of his rants, tirades or arguments, it will only make us look bad.

    Oh, and I freaking love the pic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oakhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    910
    I hope there is no leniency for him... Does he work for the UC?

    This jerk is a criminal.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    ... Does he work for the UC?
    Nope. The arrest report describes him as a non-affiliate. That means he's not faculty, student, or staff, and is how they can ban him from campus. And win, lose, or draw on the criminal case, I'd bet they take steps to ban him a lot longer than the initial 1 week he got when arrested. It just takes time to do the legal administrative process. Once a ban is in place, they can pop him for trespass just for setting foot on UC property.

  34. #34
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73
    I second MtotheF's message - Stand silent witness. We will be much better perceived if we are the victims and he is the perp.
    Oh, and I freaking love the pic!

    Just as an aside...cracks me up....I love the use of the word "Perp" on a Nor-Cal board...seems like some people here have been watching too many Law and Order reruns.

    "Perp" is an east-coast word.

    Law enforcement, the DA's, Judiciary, and media in California simply use the word "Suspect".

    Sorry, just found it funny.


    ....you may return to your regularly scheduled program......

  35. #35
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    997

    The story will be on TV today.

    Ok, KPIX 5 will be there with a crew at the hearing and for a live shot at 5 PM.

    We need witnesses to MV's actions for the background story at 2 PM today. That's the hearing time.

    You can reach the story producer, Don Fernandez, at 415-760-6352.

    Richard
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

  36. #36
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,150
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    Ok, KPIX 5 will be there with a crew at the hearing and for a live shot at 5 PM.

    We need witnesses to MV's actions for the background story at 2 PM today. That's the hearing time.

    You can reach the story producer, Don Fernandez, at 415-760-6352.

    Richard
    Nice.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  37. #37
    That makes me smart
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13,915
    .
    .
    .
    .
    <--------------------- Can't believe I'm the only one who's thought of this.

    Edit: Nope! :^D
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

    mtnbkrmike

    A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

  38. #38
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    230

    You DO realize

    that getting a news crew there will mean that they will want to interview him too, which will give him prime time soapbox for his crazy. He will be thrilled.

  39. #39
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    230
    by the way can somebody make his mugshot the default avatar for mtbr forums?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: worthy_4242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    741
    i am going to leave work early to see this jackoff on t.v. tonight.

  41. #41
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsj
    that getting a news crew there will mean that they will want to interview him too, which will give him prime time soapbox for his crazy. He will be thrilled.
    he cut someone with a freaking SAW man. I think anything he says from now on won't matter too much.

    audience: oh wow, he made a good point about those mtn bikers on private land.
    rationalaudience: yeah lets all listen to the guy that SAWS PEOPLE.

    lol

  42. #42
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus
    Stienstra might care about this.
    I sent him an email.

  43. #43
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    .
    <--------------------- Can't believe I'm the only one who's thought of this.
    You did it best. Classic.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffinsj
    that getting a news crew there will mean that they will want to interview him too, which will give him prime time soapbox for his crazy. He will be thrilled.
    For assault?

    There hasn't been a story in any of the papers or on the web.

    Only we care about this.

  45. #45
    YESBRO!!!
    Reputation: datenschwanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    For those of us who can't make it to this afternoons event, will the rest of you use your camera phones to show us pics of this fiend arriving?

    maybe ask him some pointed questions about his actions as he ascends the courthouse steps?

    "Mr. V.. why do you think it's ok to attack people with deadly weapons?"

    "will this affect your actions in the future?"

    "did you do it? was your intent to kill or just maim?"

    some video of that would be SUH-WHEET!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oakhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    910
    I'm in for the hearing.....
    It should be interesting....

  47. #47
    YESBRO!!!
    Reputation: datenschwanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,163
    who can live blog it?? tweets people, we need tweets!!!

    "he's entering the courtroom now... he looks angry and disheveled..."

  48. #48
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    For those of us who can't make it to this afternoons event, will the rest of you use your camera phones to show us pics of this fiend arriving?

    maybe ask him some pointed questions about his actions as he ascends the courthouse steps?

    "Mr. V.. why do you think it's ok to attack people with deadly weapons?"

    "will this affect your actions in the future?"

    "did you do it? was your intent to kill or just maim?"

    some video of that would be SUH-WHEET!
    How do I post pics from an Iphone?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  49. #49
    Safety Consultant
    Reputation: Turd Fergusen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    230
    I just noticed a reference on his website to his involvement with Synanon! Major league wacko stuff. Was I the only one that didn't know this?:

    From Wikipedia:
    The Synanon organization, initially a drug rehabilitation program, was founded by Charles E. "Chuck" Dederich, Sr., (1913–1997) in 1958, in Santa Monica, California, United States. By the early 1960s, Synanon had also become an alternative community, attracting people with its emphasis on living a self-examined life, as aided by group truth-telling sessions that came to be known as the "Synanon Game". Synanon ultimately became the cultish Church of Synanon in the 1970s, and Synanon disbanded permanently in 1989 due to many criminal activities, including murder and attempted murder, and civil legal problems, including Federal tax-evasion problems with the Internal Revenue Service.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iSlowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    319
    Can someone fill me in to this? I've been off MTBR for a few months.

    ***Nevermind, found the other thread***

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    Just as an aside...cracks me up....I love the use of the word "Perp" on a Nor-Cal board...seems like some people here have been watching too many Law and Order reruns.

    "Perp" is an east-coast word.

    Law enforcement, the DA's, Judiciary, and media in California simply use the word "Suspect".

    ...
    Law and Order has been on for 20 years. I suspect it has influenced a few people.

    Personally, I prefer "scumbag".

  52. #52
    commie
    Reputation: sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    245
    ADW is what's known as a "wobbler" as it can go either way, misdemeanor or felony.

    If it's a felony, it carries up to four years in state prison and each count would count as a Strike under CA's Three Strikes law. He's been charged with two counts.

    The DA's office seems to be taking this very seriously as they have decided to charge him with two counts of felony ADW. Or they are just positioning themselves for an easy plea arrangement with a reduction to a misdemeanor.

    PC 245(A)(1) F
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Organizing Cheering Section for Mike V's Arraignment Tomorrow 6/2 2PM-mv.jpg  


  53. #53
    Feeling a little taller
    Reputation: Dan'ger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    6,701
    In case you haven't seen it, Evergreen MTB has this on their website: http://evergreenmtb.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=32
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.


    Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

  54. #54
    sunnyside up
    Reputation: knobbyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,193
    $30,000 bail? Wow.
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik
    The DA's office seems to be taking this very seriously as they have decided to charge him with two counts of felony ADW. Or they are just positioning themselves for an easy plea arrangement with a reduction to a misdemeanor.

    PC 245(A)(1) F
    Probably plea bargain to PC 417(a)(1). 30 days in jail.

    I hope not.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    “Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    This was on Mike's page about the psychology of mountain bikers.

  57. #57
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Where is Terri? She has been to quiet.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    “Violence does not live alone and is not capable of living alone: I is necessarily interwoven with falsehood. Between them lies the most intimate, the deepest of natural bonds. Violence finds its only refuge in falsehood. … Any man who has once acclaimed violence as his method must inexorably choose falsehood as his principle.” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    This was on Mike's page about the psychology of mountain bikers.
    Nice. Very appropriate.

    Mike V. - the face of eco-terrorism.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,737
    Isn't someone with photoshop going to integrate his mugshot into a "Saw" movie poster or something?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

  60. #60
    rubber side down
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    113

    Exactly...

    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Where is Terri? She has been to quiet.
    ...what i was thinking baycat.

  61. #61
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Probably plea bargain to PC 417(a)(1). 30 days in jail.
    He may be whacked enough to not accept a plea deal and act as his own counsel. We can dream, can't we?

    A couple packs of cigarettes would probably buy a butt-reaming at Santa Rita.

  62. #62
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by daleydouble
    ...what i was thinking baycat.
    Well, I am one of two mtbr's who showed up. Guess who's going to be on channel 5 tonight?!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  63. #63
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,764

    Stuck @ the Laundromat

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Well, I am one of two mtbr's who showed up. Guess who's going to be on channel 5 tonight?!
    washing the sleeping bag.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Well, I am one of two mtbr's who showed up. Guess who's going to be on channel 5 tonight?!
    What happened? TELL US.

  65. #65
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    What happened? TELL US.
    He aint here yet. Were still waiting.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  66. #66
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    The trial is only just starting.

  67. #67
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Guess who's going to be on channel 5 tonight?!
    DVR is all set. I'll see if I can figure out how to get it up on youtube.

  68. #68
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Channel 5 should have it hosted on their website in the video section.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    He aint here yet. Were still waiting.
    Ohh live blogging, I can dig it.

    Do we have a sketch artist to capture Voldemort's expression when they read the charges?

  70. #70
    J
    J is offline
    ROOOOOOOO
    Reputation: J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,669
    F5ing this thread

  71. #71
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    the jerk changed courtrooms on us! We're in hot pursuit and the reporter is pissed!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  72. #72
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,150
    Great suspense. Keep it up. MTBR peeps hot on MVD's trail!!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  73. #73
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,644
    What next, trial moved to L.A.?

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,094

    Idea!

    FYI, this is an "arraignment", not a trial. Arraignment is when the state articulates the charges against the accused, and the accused enters a plea. If the accused pleas Guilty, then he is immediately exec..er, then they set a sentencing hearing in the future. If the accused pleas Not Guilty, then they set a trial date. They will likely also discuss any new bail or "own recognizance" issues that arise.

  75. #75
    Medium?
    Reputation: Fast Eddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    the jerk changed courtrooms on us! We're in hot pursuit and the reporter is pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Great suspense. Keep it up. MTBR peeps hot on MVD's trail!!

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    FYI, this is an "arraignment", not a trial. Arraignment is when the state articulates the charges against the accused, and the accused enters a plea. If the accused pleas Guilty, then he is immediately exec..er, then they set a sentencing hearing in the future. If the accused pleas Not Guilty, then they set a trial date. They will likely also discuss any new bail or "own recognizance" issues that arise.
    When do they discuss any plea bargain arrangements?

  77. #77
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Indeed. Iheart needs to tweet the play by play.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  78. #78
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Well, I am one of two mtbr's who showed up. Guess who's going to be on channel 5 tonight?!
    Guess I'm on B roll now that witnesses are here to tell their tale.

    I've been at the front door for an hour, did not catch him entering the building.

    Should be a great time for a ride on the trails in question.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

  79. #79
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Indeed. Iheart needs to tweet the play by play.
    We're waiting in the courtroom. They are backlgged on paperwork and non one is be processed at the moment.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,028
    "B-roll". "Perp Walk". I'm having flashbacks.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We're waiting in the courtroom. They are backlgged on paperwork and non one is be processed at the moment.
    Iheart,

    Who's the reporter with Don or is Don by himself?

  82. #82
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We're waiting in the courtroom. They are backlgged on paperwork and non one is be processed at the moment.
    I was afraid they would have finished it before you got there. Good deal.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy

  84. #84
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We're waiting in the courtroom. They are backlgged on paperwork and non one is be processed at the moment.
    Mjv just appeared. Wearing a white under shirt n jeans. His lawyer no showed. Update soon...
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Wearing a white under shirt .
    A wifebeater?

  86. #86
    That makes me smart
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    13,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    When do they discuss any plea bargain arrangements?
    When do they bring out the guillotine?

    OFF WITH 'IS 'EAD!!!

    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

    mtnbkrmike

    A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

  87. #87
    Silence! I kill you!
    Reputation: Jorgemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,050
    Geez, the suspense is killing us!
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

  88. #88
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Did the gloves fit?

    getting bloggage cover

    http://www.cyclelicio.us/2010/mike-v...deadly-weapon/

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    35
    ...court paperwork wasn't in order at 2:35...had to make my way out, back to work (sigh). There was a scrappy looking character sitting off to the side of the courtroom (looked like our man MV), scribbling in a notebook - perhaps he is preparing a Kaczynski-esque publication?

  90. #90
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Geez, the suspense is killing us!
    So Mike V was processed today. He was read the complaints, one count of assault with deadly weapon, and one count vandalusm. His bail was decreased to $12500 and he had multiple restaining orders applied, protecting Ian and someone named John.

    He opened his mouth about not being able to recognize the two, so the judge extended the restraining order to cover all UC trails!

    He was in handcuffs during ingress and egress, and if he doesn't make bail, will be provided accomidations at Santa Rita jail tonight.

    Tomorrow he will be back with his lawyer.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    So Mike V was processed today. He was read the complaints, one count of assault with deadly weapon, and one count vandalusm. His bail was decreased to $12500 and he had multiple restaining orders applied, protecting Ian and someone named John.

    He opened his mouth about not being able to recognize the two, so the judge extended the restraining order to cover all UC trails!

    He was in handcuffs during ingress and egress, and if he doesn't make bail, will be provided accomidations at Santa Rita jail tonight.

    Tomorrow he will be back with his lawyer.

  92. #92
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    So Mike V was processed today. He was read the complaints, one count of assault with deadly weapon, and one count vandalusm. His bail was decreased to $12500 and he had multiple restaining orders applied, protecting Ian and someone named John.

    He opened his mouth about not being able to recognize the two, so the judge extended the restraining order to cover all UC trails!

    He was in handcuffs during ingress and egress, and if he doesn't make bail, will be provided accomidations at Santa Rita jail tonight.

    Tomorrow he will be back with his lawyer.
    "I've assaulted so many people I don't know which ones I have to avoid"

    Good to see he's in cuffs. I was hoping there would be a few more incidents tied to this.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,094
    Great reportage, iheart! It's good to know the facts and procedures plainly and nearly in real time.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    He opened his mouth about not being able to recognize the two, so the judge extended the restraining order to cover all UC trails!
    That's newsworthy right there!

    At $12.5k bail, that's only $1250 on a credit card. I can't believe he stays in the clink but did it look to you as though he had, so far??

  94. #94
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    "I've assaulted so many people I don't know which ones I have to avoid"

    Good to see he's in cuffs. I was hoping there would be a few more incidents tied to this.
    Is that an actual quote?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  95. #95
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    "I've assaulted so many people I don't know which ones I have to avoid"

    Good to see he's in cuffs. I was hoping there would be a few more incidents tied to this.
    +1

    Thanks,

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  96. #96
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Is that an actual quote?
    No, I wasn't there. Just paraphrasing Chuck's comment about not recognizing them.

  97. #97
    aka dan51
    Reputation: d-bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,980
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hickey
    ditto!

  98. #98
    Fat Guy Riding
    Reputation: jschwart73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    877
    So, he can't openly assault anyone anymore, but I can't imagine he's not utterly furious about this and will be setting up booby traps up there when he can.

    Be careful up there kids, this is far from over - He's way too committed to let this be the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73
    So, he can't openly assault anyone anymore, but I can't imagine he's not utterly furious about this and will be setting up booby traps up there when he can.

    Be careful up there kids, this is far from over - He's way too committed to let this be the end.
    Lesson learned: Don't get caught. This has a good chance of making him more dangerous when he's released again.

  100. #100
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,644
    ^He's still a sad little man though when it all boils down.

    @Ogre..How about someone finds out if there are a bunch of second hand bike or moto jerseys available and just head out to Telegraph and start handing them out to everyone, having them put them on. Imagine the look on his face over the next few days not knowing who to threaten or not as everyone would be in the same garb.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •