Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Only the best Sobe bikes are free

888 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Rudeyboy 
#1 ·

Here she is, my CAAD 2 2001 hardtail, salvaged from a UPS screw up that cost her 2 months in a Seattle warehouse, fully rusted the BB and just about everything else not alum. on it. But paid for completely by UPS and restored with my handiwork and as much as the price more put into it.

I am on the Sonoma coast where the only way in and out is via 18% grade hills, steepest allowed roads and a few good dirt trails through the rugged canyons. Hence the fat tires, exiwolf 2.3, may go down to a 1.95 eventually. The rims are Mav ceramic 517 rear and 717 front, XTR hubs, with Avid SD7 brakes and Koolstop green pads. So the braking is OK, it would be a stretch to put discs on this bike. I usually do more hiking than biking on these hills but this bike seems up to the challenge.

So this leads to the 1 question: with tires this fat I notice the clearance away from the frame especially in the rear, the front is OK and will ride even. But the rear clearly needs a longer axle spacer, the tire rides about 2 cm toward the non drive side. The rims are true and it's a consistent imbalance. Right now it's got an extra copper washer beyond the 1 alum. and a 2cm spacer shim that puts it about 1+ cm off. What is the best way to offset this and how long can that space between the hub and the frame ultimately get safely?

Zak

See less See more
#2 ·
Rudeyboy said:
But the rear clearly needs a longer axle spacer, the tire rides about 2 cm toward the non drive side.
Sounds like the spacers in your hub have been messed with, or else the wheel wasn't dished correctly. Only other cause I can think of is a bent frame. You want to be sure your rear hub width is 135 mm (see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html), and that your cassette is positioned correctly so your chainline will be right. Once those two things are established, the wheel needs to be re-dished if the rim isn't centered in the frame.

Hopefully it is just a question of the spacers for you. See if you can get a parts diagram online, and make sure you have the right spacers in the right places.

#3 ·
Thanx. My first thought was the frame given the UPS debacle but further exploration showed it has to be a spatial issue it is right on 135mm. 1 factor could be that the cassette was a single speed when I got the rims, never used, and has now been reconverted to a 9 speed.The spacing on the non-drive side wasn't changed initially and the hub gave a perfectly equidistant remainder on the axles, about 3mm. In order to space it more means leaving less on the non-drive side. But admittedly we're talking mm in the spacing that will yield the correction, probably another 1mm width copper washer would do it. But IDK if that is a proper remedy.

In terms of the cassette what more affects it besides torque? I torque it to about 40 Nm with a very accurate Snap-on. I suppose increasing the torque could also help.

Bottom line my plan is to try the spacing issue first so should I look for another length spacer or just go with washers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.