mtbr member
    Sep 2016

One day/trail to ride in Tahoe?

I am heading up to the mountains this weekend and I am looking for a recommendation for the best trail/trails to ride in tahoe area.

I will be riding Downieville on Saturday, then I am riding North Star Sunday. I have never ridden any trails besides those two areas in the Sierras.

I will most likely be riding solo. I am up for anything. I can do big days, ie. 30+miles and 6-8k in climbing. I am just looking for some recommendations for spending the best day riding in tahoe area. This could be north or south lake.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Over the Edge shuttle to Kingsbury >> Tahoe Rim Trail to Armstrong/Connector/Corral or Mr Toads Wild Ride

20 (armstrong) to 30 (toad's) miles, probably 2-3k vertical. Peaking at near 9000' ft on Freel.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Over the Edge shuttle to Kingsbury >> Tahoe Rim Trail to Armstrong/Connector/Corral or Mr Toads Wild Ride

20 (armstrong) to 30 (toad's) miles, probably 2-3k vertical. Peaking at near 9000' ft on Freel.
    Or, if you're whipped and want scenery, ride the Flume out & back.
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member

Yeah this but Id bypass Corral keep going to Toads.

L1MEY
    Park at the Incline Flume trailhead, head up around Incline Lake, cross the highway to the Tahoe Rim Trail, take the TRT to Tunnel Creek Road, go down the road a bit and hang a right onto the Incline Flume and back to your car. 19 miles, lots of scenery, and a moderate amount of climbing. That section of the TRT is only open to bikes on even days though, so it's going to depend on when you plan to ride.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Or, if you're whipped and want scenery, ride the Flume out & back.
    Must do.

mtbr member
    Toads is one of my favorite legal trails in California. It lives up to the hype.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I just did this two weekends ago for the first time and it was great. From the top of Freel to the bottom of Corral was almost a non stop 3k descent. IIRC it was just under 25 miles with 3k ft of climbing. Parked at Kingsbury and ubered back cuz I hate logistics but will try OTE next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Awesome, thanks for the help. It sounds like that will be my ride. I'll be contacting OTE shortly.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Start at Mt Rose and ride southbound to the flume (Spooner). Good shuttle ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We used to do this, start at Mt Rose and ride Flume to Spooner Lake. However, we found a better option for the finish to this Flume ride: Leave a car at the bottom of Marlette Creek Trail, and do the ride: Mt Rose to TRT to Flume to Marlette Creek Trail.

Marlette Creek trail (also called Chimney Beach) is an awesome downhill ride back to lake level. Way better than the fire road down to Spooner Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Start at Mt Rose and ride southbound to the flume (Spooner). Good shuttle ride.
    Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 07-10-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    We used to do this, start at Mt Rose and ride Flume to Spooner Lake. Howeverim we found a better option for the finish to this Flume ride: Leave a car at the bottom of Marlette Creek Trail, and do the ride: Mt Rose to TRT to Flume to Marlette Creek Trail.

Marlette Creek trail (also called Chimney Beach) is an awesome downhill ride back to lake level. Way better than the fire road down to Spooner Lake.
    MC/CB Trail is friggin' awesome. Grins the whole way down.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    MC/CB Trail is friggin' awesome. Grins the whole way down.
    Chimney Beach 4eva! Every Chimney Beach trail ride should end with beers on Chimney Beach.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Chimney Beach 4eva! Every Chimney Beach trail ride should end with beers on Chimney Beach.
    +1 on the Rose Meadows to Chimney Beach ride via the TRT. Remember the even/odd day mtb access rule applies. I think you can get a shuttle up to Rose and then just ride back on the lake to your car.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    +1 on the Rose Meadows to Chimney Beach ride via the TRT. Remember the even/odd day mtb access rule applies. I think you can get a shuttle up to Rose and then just ride back on the lake to your car.
    R u Jeebus?

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Start at Brockway Summit (you'll need to get dropped off), TRT to Painted Rock, follow TRT about another two miles look for unmarked yet heavily used trail to the right (Missing Link) to Western States, drop into River Ranch, get a beer and a burger, ride back to Tahoe City. This ride is about 30 miles, 95% single track, if you carry a water filter, you can get water at Watson Lake. Technical difficulty is high on Missing Link, you can pass that and stay on the TRT after Painted Rock and follow it into Tahoe City, less technical than Missing Link.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    R u Jeebus?
    Haha, does MTB Jesus turn water into IPA?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Thanks!

Just rode at Lake Tahoe for the first time last week. I've been following some posts on here to figure out what to ride. Ended up doing the TRT + Flume with a shuttle from Flume Trail Bikes. Many thanks to the members for all the tips!

-----------------------
    Enthuziast