mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Olema: Bolinas Ridge

This might be a rowdy question, not sure what this trail is like yet... but, has anybody ever done shuttle runs from the Fairfax-Bolinas RD trail head, down to Olema @ Sir Francis Drake? Let me know if this is kosher, or a faux pas.

Thanks!

aka baycat
    Would be a kosher shuttle and good point to point ride. If you are not familiar with Bolinas Ridge, it is a fireroad trail that flows from the BoFax trailhead on Tam down to near Olema. Depending on your level of riding a shuttle would be wise, done it with my gf and others who are new to the sport. Beautifully scenic trail for all to enjoy.

Riding it as a loop requires some climbing back to where ever you left your car. I have parked in downtown Fairfax or Mill Valley. Climb up Tam, ride along Ridgecrest, out Bolinas Ridge, drop Jewell trail to cross marin trail through Samuel P. Taylor and then climb up into Pine Mountain back to the car.

Like a boss.

mooo!!!!

Kosher, but watch out for cows!!! One of my friends got knocked off their bike by a cow on that fire road a few months ago. They're freaking huge and really dumb... not a great combo. Sure are tasty, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I bikepacked in the headlands last tuesday night at hawk camp stayed the night.
    Headed up Tam in the morning on Wed. Rode out to the Bolinas Ridge fire road. I continued my bikepcking trip through the lovely forest there. I found lots of mud, roots, tire ruts and rocks as I rode slowly upward. Got out to the the rolling green pastures with lots of fast, wet cycling ahead. I had a nice lunch of coffee with a tuna tortilla sandwich next to a large slit rock with a dead oak tree growing in the middle of it. Fixed my blackberry thorn induced flat tire. And continued my muddy decent towards Jewel trail. There was so much water that a small run off stream was going a cross the trail in a pretty large section.
    I head down jewel which was really grassy and wet at a nice fast paced decent. Stayed that night at camp Taylor after returing from the market in Lagunitas with a few Boonts. The experience was a lot easy climbing, fast decent, with enough mud for a pig to be happy wallowing in. I would recommend coming one way from the Tam side being the beginner that I am. Less work more reward. I did not see even 1 cow. Putting a loaded MTB over the gates was a small chore for a short guy like me.

Air Pirate
    Good little travelog on some rides at Bolinas Ridge:

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2005...rail-ride.html

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2006...l-ride-ii.html

Ben's site gave me some good ideas of what the area is like.

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Would be a kosher shuttle and good point to point ride. If you are not familiar with Bolinas Ridge, it is a fireroad trail that flows from the BoFax trailhead on Tam down to near Olema. Depending on your level of riding a shuttle would be wise, done it with my gf and others who are new to the sport. Beautifully scenic trail for all to enjoy.

Riding it as a loop requires some climbing back to where ever you left your car. I have parked in downtown Fairfax or Mill Valley. Climb up Tam, ride along Ridgecrest, out Bolinas Ridge, drop Jewell trail to cross marin trail through Samuel P. Taylor and then climb up into Pine Mountain back to the car.
    Whew, I'm getting winded just reading the route!

I like to go through Samuel P. Taylor>up Jewell> Up Bolinas Ridge and either go out to Willow Camp Trail to Stinson or out to Laurel Dell or Coastal and then get a shuttle home with the family from the beach.

Shuttling Bolinas Ridge is doable, but from the Bo-Fax junction you still need to climb a bit before you head down. So if you're on downhill bikes be prepared.

workless.
    Apr 2007
    With all the rain the other day, Bolinas ridge is definitely a muddy mess. Still can be ridden, but would be better if it had some time to dry out. Head down on the Jewell trail and skip the muddy cow (pie) pasture before SFD, if going in that direction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks all!! Did Oathill Mine with 2 buddies in Calistoga today. All the way to the top, wicked climb, and back down for a pretty fast rocky descent. I was just looking for some new rides other than demo/tamarancho/water-dog/typical bay, within 1.5 hrs from SF. Let me know if you have any other suggestions? Sounds like Bolinas is a wet fire road. Maybe Auburn is next...