mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Old Haul Road Ride near Pescadero

I'm thinking of riding the Old Haul Road this week. Does anyone know anything about the road conditions on Pescadero Creek Rd and Wurr Rd to get to the Old Haul Road? Are the road conditions clear so I can drive my car from Highway 1 along these roads to the parking area for a ride along Old Haul Road? When coming from Pescadero, is it best to take the 1st right hand turn (in Loma Mar) onto Wurr Rd from the coast, or wait until getting to Memorial park and taking the second Wurr Rd access? Does anyone know the current riding conditions of Old Haul Road itself?

mtbr member
    I have no info about the trail's conditions, but for road closure status, I usually find that Google Maps is reasonably trustworthy. The trick is to turn on the "Traffic" layer of the map. Even when you'll be looking at very minor roads that don't display traffic congestion status, using this option allows you to see any closures in effect (shown by dash red line overlays). You might need to zoom in quite a bit in order to make the closure layer visible though. Try it with a known closure spot like the big one near Castle Rock on Skyline in order to gauge how much you might need to zoom in order to see the closure displayed.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you go to the pescadero creek redwoods park website and/or portala redwoods they will have the conditions. 2 weeks back it was on there that there was a wash out on haul road as I was scoping it out. Basically depending on where you are coming from, it is a long drive for not that much riding if you are keeping it legal. I don't think Wurr road is an issue since the trail head coming from the west side is 1/4 mile from pescadero road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How was the ride? I've been wanting to go check that one out...