mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Old Cabin Classic 2018

Signups are open... and filling up quickly.

Old Cabin Classic May 19, 2018

Looks like a new course this year, perhaps 2-4 laps of a 7.5 mile circuit? I'm a bit confused about the Sport designation which says 15-23 miles, but I'm signed up for Men's Sport 50+.

mtbr member
    I signed up for the 40+ beginner class, last night. This will be my first ever MTB race after starting riding just over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wtg steve, see you out there.

lets get some speculation going as to what the new course is going to be

mtbr member
    I'm in too. Expert 18-39 (for one more year). Hmm on new course. I am hoping they keep the Old Cabin enchanted stuff but I would be happy to not have that Zane Gray decent. That was miserable on a hard tail 3x. My kidneys still hurt!

Maybe we'll climb up that way!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Moderator Moderator
    I'll be there! Sitting in a tree heckling the riders!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm going to sign up. Same as steve, first MTB race after riding for 1 year, though I will be in the 30-39

My speculation on the route:
    1) agree 7.5 circuit is most logical. Especially if they are trying to limit impact. Cutting enchanted gets to 8. cutting zane grey gets to 7. can't figure out 7.5

2) could be a 15 mile route, with a 7.5 bonus for sport. This would be awesome, but I doubt it. Climbing further up to the twin gates would lose old cabin, which seems antithetical. Unless, somehow there was some other way back down that allowed one to loop over to old cabin after...

mtbr member
    Just signed up for the beginner 50+ class for my first ever mtb race. Looks like they don't have a class for my age group ( 60 + ) so I will have to race the " young guns ". :-)
    Was on the fence for the beginner or sport class but not sure what the 15 - 23 miles in the sport class is all about and 15 miles is a 2+ hour race and a 3+ for 23 miles. 2 hours without stopping to eat or pee or stretch sounds like a challenge on its own!! LOL
    XC racing is definitely not my strong suit but it sounds like a ton of fun and I know lots of people that will be out there helping keep the community strong and having fun. Enduro racing would be much more in my wheel house so maybe I will give that a shot sometime soon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Just signed up for the beginner 50+ class for my first ever mtb race. Looks like they don't have a class for my age group ( 60 + ) so I will have to race the " young guns ". :-)
    Was on the fence for the beginner or sport class but not sure what the 15 - 23 miles in the sport class is all about and 15 miles is a 2+ hour race and a 3+ for 23 miles. 2 hours without stopping to eat or pee or stretch sounds like a challenge on its own!! LOL
    XC racing is definitely not my strong suit but it sounds like a ton of fun and I know lots of people that will be out there helping keep the community strong and having fun. Enduro racing would be much more in my wheel house so maybe I will give that a shot sometime soon?
    Sign up for the Toro Enduro. Also local and I thought it was a ton of fun last year.

mtbr member
    You'll like it. At least, we've had a great time this year in the couple races we've done (Granite Bay and CCCX at Ft. Ord).

We have two signed up for Sport and one for Beginner.

I'll bet $$$ on you finishing faster than 2 hours for a 15 mile course. The adrenaline alone gets you going.

I don't know Wilder, so I'm up for a pre-ride once they post the course.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This is cool. It demonstrates to Wilder State Park that we can have an organized event and raise money for them. And it is a key revenue source for MBOSC and trail building.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    This is cool. It demonstrates to Wilder State Park that we can have an organized event and raise money for them. And it is a key revenue source for MBOSC and trail building.
    I heard a rumor of some possible weeknight short track XC races coming to Santa Cruz soon! I wonder if we might even be able to convince the landowners to reopen the defunct Treez and Breez race again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I'm in too. Expert 18-39 (for one more year). Hmm on new course. I am hoping they keep the Old Cabin enchanted stuff but I would be happy to not have that Zane Gray decent. That was miserable on a hard tail 3x. My kidneys still hurt!

Maybe we'll climb up that way!
    I'm with you. I signed up this year for the Vintage class and was dreading that thing. If its not there, I won't be sad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    The LaGrange Classic has 60 - 69, 70 - 74, and 75+ categories.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone need a registration? I'm assuming it is all full now. I signed up but am unable to race - I'd like to transfer registration to someone who can race:-)

UPDATE: Registration transfered
    Last edited by corwyn74; 05-08-2018 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitz1234 View Post
    I'm with you. I signed up this year for the Vintage class and was dreading that thing. If its not there, I won't be sad.
    Hmm, quick question, out of curiosity what vintage ride will be racing on? I'm not racing, but I'll be there with a vintage bike to display (89' fillet-brazed Rock Lobster). Cheers

Uncle
    Wise choice, perhaps. I haven't raced in years but signed up for sport 40-49 because I needed a kick in the ass to get out and ride. I'm not going to win, and am likely a contender candidate for dfl. Just starting to get more than 1 ride in per week, so I'm certain that 23 miles there will leave me with nothing left, and it'll be a long process of pain and energy management to get to that point.

Geez, now I'm kind of looking forward to it.

My money is on dp400 for the old guy beginner class. Ringer-dar is going off.

Uncle
    For folks that don't live in SC: Where will you park? Website suggests "parking in town" then pedaling out, which sounds dandy but... just anywhere in town? Are SC streets metered on Saturdays? Any locals have more specific suggestions?
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    There's a paved bicycle path that takes you from the northern (or western) edge of town to Wilder Ranch. It starts at the end of Mission Street. They might be suggesting parking on the streets leading to that path. On weekends many bicycle riders drive to and park on Mission St. and others, nearby the Santa Cruz Bicycles headquarters/factory. There are no parking meters on that part of Mission St.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I park on Shaffer Rd at the corner of Highway 1 and just ride the bike path down. Its easy, no meters, and I bring a pack and just stash my stuff.

mtbr member
    There was plenty of parking at the race last year on the west side of highway. It cost a few bucks for the park entrance fees but was convenient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hi, Id like to enter the classic. I'm not a racer, but I have been riding 3-4 times a week at delaveaga. If anyone has an extra registration, Id appreciate it.
    -
    Scott

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by basshack View Post
    Hi, Id like to enter the classic. I'm not a racer, but I have been riding 3-4 times a week at delaveaga. If anyone has an extra registration, Id appreciate it.
    -
    Scott
    https://www.facebook.com/events/5664...tab=discussion

Can find several folks here trying sell their registration.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    I heard a rumor of some possible weeknight short track XC races coming to Santa Cruz soon! I wonder if we might even be able to convince the landowners to reopen the defunct Treez and Breez race again.
    Please PM me if this happens

<3

mtbr member
    Spot for sale. PM me.

Thank you,
    Vb

mtbr member
    New loop announcement:

The Race – Old Cabin Classic – May 19, 2018

Anyone on here know the trails well enough to comment?

Racing expert and at first pass it looks more hard tail friendly with the subtraction of the Zane Grey descent. Waaay less climbing in expert too.

Id love any input if anyone knows the goods! Last year I rode the hard tail and regretted it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Glad to see the new 2018 course posted! I am currently signed up for the beginner but am hoping to switch into sport now after seeing the routes (Enchanted Loop way too fun to miss). By any chance does anyone know if this is possible?

Hoping to do a pre-ride of the course today after work, tomorrow morning and throughout the week, looking forward to seeing everyone out there! PM if interested in riding too!

etuck, I have rode these trials with only a HT and I sometimes have thoughts of a FS on the Enchanted Loop trail. I have yet, to ride the trails in reverse direction compared to last year's route.

mtbr member
    I have an entry for sale - I was hoping for a bit more of a mt biker's course featuring some of Wilder's more technical terrain (Zane, etc). Coastal trail, Up Baldwin, down a fire road, etc. isn't what I had in mind. PM me if interested. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree it's going to be tough to make this a fun ride. I'll see how the race plays out, but at first glance it does not look good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My description of this new route for those who care:

The the experts start on Cowboy Loop. Cowboy is rarely ridden. Unless it gets mowed, it will be overgrown to the point that those in front won't see the trail surface. But no worries, it's pretty smooth because no one, not even the horses, use it much. Cowboy CCwise goes down the park's steepest pitch, down a jeep trail, and finishes in a creek crossing.

The 8 miles along the ocean bluff are a snooze. It's a flat jeep trail all the way. People ride here because they are taking non-riding friends and family out to Wilder and the views are nice if you don't live by the ocean already. The worst obstacle is the wind, which usually blows stiffly from the north. Hide behind someone. There's a sandy stretch about 3/4th of the way which should cause a bottleneck as people struggle, give up, and dismount.

Baldwin climb is single track at the bottom, then more jeep trail. There's a rocky band 1/2 the way up which is slippery (the same rock band you descended at the top of Zane Grey Cutoff in previous years) and that's about it.

Enchanted is fun single-track in the shade. Too bad for beginners, they stay in the sun. Actually beginner class gets a snooze fest this year. :-(

This spring the big root drop (in this year's direction) on lower Eucalyptus is eroded away, and you can ride up and down it easily. But the roots-behind-the-tree bit after the 2nd bridge should be a pinch point. There's a fallen-log-across-the-creek bypass but my guess is it will be corded off. If it isn't then it should save you time, even if you dismount and run cross the log.

Old Cabin single-track in reverse is a harder (pitch) but shorter (elevation and mileage) climb than in last year's direction. For beginners this will be the highlight of the ride, and their only single-track in the redwoods.

Down Englesmans West is single-track at first, then finishes in jeep trail. It's the start of last year's race, but in reverse.

The Englesmans East and Long Meadow climbs and the Chinquapin and Eucalyptus descents are all jeep trail. Avoid trapping a wheel in the rills.

Twin Oaks is a dirt track in grasslands. It has lots of potholes and some very pumpable rollers lower down.

For the sport class the last descent is a washboarded jeep trail. The experts are the only ones who get to do the 2nd steepest climb in the park (the backside of Wilder Ridge), which in previous years everyone did.

The western end of Wilder Ridge loop is a single-track in the grass. Personally I find it long, dull, and not worth the detour, and prefer Zane Grey Cutoff. Hungry ticks too. They don't see a lot of customers.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this course is shit compared to last years. and no more transfers so you cant sell your entry to someone who likes fireroads

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hard to believe that one of the best trails of the park, if not the best trail - Zane Grey Cutoff - is not in any routes

Hella Olde
    Will Wilder be full of pre-riders this weekend or is the race pretty low-key?

mtbr member
    Thx Man. It sounds like hardtail just fine. I didn't mind for enchanted last year but zane grey was chattery to say least.

Personally, I'm happy to not be riding 3 loops of the same course again. It's a good event and a much better course than any other MTB races even remotely close to the Bay.

I'm in.

mtbr member
    Pretty bummed I won't be riding Enchanted! The one trail I was really looking forward to bombing down. Been a while since I've ridden Old Cabin this direction. I like the reverse of this a lot.
    Looks a little lame for us beginners? My first MTB race so I was hoping for a more fun and maybe a little more challenging course.
    Either way I will get my butt handed to me.
    Will be fun riding with friends and seeing everyone there.
    Looking forward to eating and drinking beer afterwards .......

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsd20463 View Post
    My description of this new route for those who care:

The the experts start on Cowboy Loop. Cowboy is rarely ridden. Unless it gets mowed, it will be overgrown to the point that those in front won't see the trail surface. But no worries, it's pretty smooth because no one, not even the horses, use it much. Cowboy CCwise goes down the park's steepest pitch, down a jeep trail, and finishes in a creek crossing.
    this will not be smooth! guaranteed!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    This is more than a little lame for beginners. The course sport/beginner course takes 8 miles to get to the mountain, at which point the beginners are past their half-way point.

Moderator Moderator
    Pretty bummed I won't be riding Enchanted! The one trail I was really looking forward to bumping down. Been a while since I've ridden Old Cabin this direction. I like the reverse of this a lot.
    Looks a little lame for us beginners? My first MTB race so I was hoping for a more fun and maybe a little more challenging course.
    Either way I will get my butt handed to me.
    Looking forward to eating and drinking beer afterwards .......
    Maybe just ride in the sport class? Better to enjoy your ride than worry about where you finish IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Maybe just ride in the sport class? Better to enjoy your ride than worry about where you finish IMHO.
    I agree. Or just drop out and ride whatever you want to ride. When you don't like the course and you don't like the competition why bother?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    MBOSC is still looking for MORE volunteer help for the Old Cabin Classic Race.
    (Volunteer – Old Cabin Classic – May 19, 2018)

"All volunteers receive complementary food, beer, t-shirt, and camping during Old Cabin. Youll also get an invitation to MBOSCs Volunteer Appreciation Party, and an entry into our annual volunteer raffle for a free Ibis bike!"

I'm working a vending booth (maybe beer!) from 8-11AM. Seeya Saturday!

Catfish ...

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Will Wilder be full of pre-riders this weekend or is the race pretty low-key?

I'll answer myself - it was chill.

mtbr member
    I'll answer myself - it was chill.
    I was there yesterday and ran into a total of 5 riders preriding the course. The climb up Baldwin should be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can understand people wanting more singletrack, but in last year's race in Sport, there were some pretty big jams on Old Cabin and elsewhere. It helped a lot to have the race start up the fire road since it gave people a chance to pass and find their own spot, but even then you had the younger groups ahead and that sorting process really lasted throughout the race. Almost all the technical spots had bottlenecks on one or both of my laps last year. With more riders on the course this year, it may be very welcome to have more wide trails.

I think some of the new terrain will be more interesting than people think as well. Riding the coastal trail casually may not be great fun, but riding it at race pace should be pretty exciting. It has some tricky parts as mentioned above, particularly the sand pit.

Baldwin is a cool addition for this race. The top half where it's rocky is fun to ride (well, for climbers!) and it's wide enough for different lines and passing.

I'm not sure how starting on Cowboy Loop will work out for Pro/Expert. It's a pretty skinny trail, though it's mown down to create about a 4' path up the hill and through the meadow. I guess there will be some aggressive passing there. As of yesterday the latter part through the thistles wasn't mown down... I trust they'll be getting to that!

My biggest regret this year is that they didn't split the races like last year. I would have loved to have watched the Pro/Expert up on Cowboy and then later on up the hill.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Sign up for the Toro Enduro. Also local and I thought it was a ton of fun last year.

Hey! A bit OT, but I came across your 2017 Toro stage preview vids on YouTube - thanks for posting those! How grueling are the transfers? My only frame of reference is the SOC and Kamikaze enduros. I raced at Toro when they had a DH race there about 10 years ago and tore my rotator cuff and never went back. There was a lot of climbing/pushing up the hill involved. Are the transfers all rideable for the weekend warrior? Pray for fog. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Any idea what's at the neutral aid stations? Trying to figure out my fuel situation.

mtbr member

Old Cabin Classic 2018

Hey! A bit OT, but I came across your 2017 Toro stage preview vids on YouTube - thanks for posting those! How grueling are the transfers? My only frame of reference is the SOC and Kamikaze enduros. I raced at Toro when they had a DH race there about 10 years ago and tore my rotator cuff and never went back. There was a lot of climbing/pushing up the hill involved. Are the transfers all rideable for the weekend warrior? Pray for fog. Thanks again
    last year it was pretty easy physically compared to the other enduros. It was roughly 14 miles and 2800 of climbing. The climbs have steep pitches in them, but its no big deal to casually walk those.

This year they did add pipeline for the expert/pro classes which is a though climb. Very steep 2nd half and almost no shade. Honestly since it will most likely be the last stage, Ill probably be walking up the steep part. No need to spend a ton of effort in the transfers.

I think youll be fine. With the nature of Enduro you can practically take the transfers as slow as you want. If you are racing expert, youll really enjoy pipeline Im sure. Legit trail thats probably a solid 10 minute run. For what its worth, this race is way more fun than the xc-Enduro at Sea Otter. But its nothing compared to Mammoth Mtn as Im sure you are aware.

Mtn View, CA
    Race was fun but I was disappointed they didn't have bacon at the feed station this time. They handed out goo packs instead.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Race was fun but I was disappointed they didn't have bacon at the feed station this time. They handed out goo packs instead.
    Hell yeah they had bacon. Just not the official aid stations

At the corner of old cabin and wild boar there was a crew giving out beer and whiskey soaked bacon. Those were some true heroes.

I passed on the beer but the bacon was some nice flavor for the way down. Definitely a good summary of the vibe there.. good fun, not too serious

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    They had bacon and whiskey at one of the unofficial aid stations

mtbr member
    Damn it! That sounds awesome. Pretty fun race, I had low expectations since Im not really an xc guy but had a lot of fun. Whiskey bacon would have been the cherry on top though

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    As a beginner I was 12 miles in and hollered back to the stranger behind me "Boy am I ready for a beer!".... low and behold as I pedaled out of the forest, an oasis of bread, olive oil and vinegar for dipping paired with a canner beer awaited me by the good forest people. I can't tell you how much my "I crashed at mile 2" mood was improved. Bike peeps are the best. <3 I pedaled the crap out of that last couple miles..

hopeless moron
    So bummed out to again have missed this race two years in a row. As if an invisible hand is keeping me from participating.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, its called sarcasm; youre soaking in it!

mtbr member
    The OCC was a lot of fun and the beginner class loop was just enough for my first MTB race.
    The event and festival were really well done and the vibe was awesome!
    I entered the Beg 50+ class with my buddy Mark.
    The race was kind of 2 races in one for me. We started off with a 8 mile section along the coast ( as well as all other classes ) into a pretty bad headwind! This section of the race was humbling and a bit painful for me. Who knew I sucked at racing on flat ground into a strong wind? Hey, Skeggs doesn't have anything that resembles flat and thats were I ride on the weekdays.
    Mt buddy flew past me early on to stay on the lead packs wheel. His race craft kicking in. I was in the top 3rd of the 23 racer pack heading into the 8 mile stretch. By the end of that stretch I must have been 18th? OMG I suck at this!! 5 Beg women had passed me by then as well. I averaged around 13 mph along there and it wasn't close to being enough. I just didn't want to blow up before the hill so I just did my thing. The sand pit was a cluster! The person I was behind took the left line that I was going to take so I followed. He couldn't make it half way so I had to go through the deep sand to the other side and then guys there were failing and walking. I zig zagged through from one side to the other and was determined not to put a foot down. I struggled through with a high heart rate and back into the windiest section before the first climb.
    I hooked onto the wheel of a guy in front of me and had the same climbing pace. We passed a lot of riders along that 16 min climb! I felt good at the top of the climb so I started pushing my pace.
    Finally back on trails that had ups and downs I felt way more at home and started passing several riders.
    I was bummed when we passed by the Enchanted Forest DH. I could have used a little fun factor at that time.
    Made several passes in the slightly more technical sections and again on the Old Cabin climb.
    Made my last pass right before the last downhill, where I guess the whiskey and bacon were? I was pretty focused at that time and had no idea what the hell all those people were doing up there!!
    I was pretty much by myself on the long downhill and had no carrot ahead to aim for.
    I ended up 5th in my class and 1 min. behind my buddy who got 4th - 1:19:50ish . I was kinda hoping to do better ( we all aim for the podium I think ? ) but Ill take it since I may have been one of the older guys in my class at 60 and riding a 31 LB Spec. Enduro - XC bike. LOL XC racing is not the kind of riding I enjoy doing really but it was a fun day all in all!!
    Thank to everyone for putting in the time so we could have such a fun day. The beer and food were VERY good!

Dan

Me, Kev and Mark
    Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0617.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0615.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0632.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0626.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0634.jpg

Marks sissy XC tire and my manly Endure tire
    Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0635.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0621.jpg

Old Cabin Classic 2018-img_0648.jpg

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I raced Sport, another friend did beginner, and another the expert course. We had a great time.

It's too bad the beginner course didn't go through Enchanted Forest.

Two of us crashed, including me. Some guy tried to squeeze right of me on the bluff trail near the beginning and hooked my handlebar and took both of us out. From full speed (into a headwind) to 0, but fortunately on grass. My shoulder is pretty pissed off, but it doesn't look like it's worse than bruised.

Not a great start to the race, but I finished.

We all had a good time, and the beer afterward was worth it. We'll be back next year.

On to Wente in a couple weeks.