Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is it ok to ride JM with this much rain?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  gergroy 
#1 ·
I am heading to Oaktown this weekend so my wife can visit her brother so was planning to sneak in a JM ride. Is this place better avoided when wet or is it ok? Crappy mud or fun mud?

Thanks all

#10 ·
Redwood, and almost all the East Bay Parks are a mess after a decent rain. It turns to slime that sticks to everything. Marin, Rockville, and some of the areas that have more granite-based soils that drain can be rideable, but after a solid week of rain, there aren't many places that are not going to make a mess of your bike and rut out the trails. Once the sun comes out, I plan on pulling out the road bike for a few days until things de-saturate a bit... Winter finally found us.

#16 ·
I'll probably catch some heat too but I rode today in the middle of the rain. I figured I'll follow the water to minimize my impact and I have to tell you that my tires did not pick up mud at all, and I didn't feel like I was doing damage to the trail. One loop of Cinderella, one Chaparral and one Big Trees (through Sequoia Bay View) before I couldn't stand the cold anymore. A couple of downed trees and branches hitting my face and that was it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.