mtbr member

OHV Systems in NorCal

I know about Mammoth Bar, Georgetown, Chalk Bluffs...all good for mtn biking. Chalk is mostly flat and pedally, but I saw potential - haven't done much wandering off the main trails.

What others have you ridden that are mtn bike friendly? Which are worth a visit? Elkins Flat...probably too flat i'm guessing lol. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Burlington Ridge area moto trails south of highway 20 and the town of Washington. Deer Creek drainage for the most part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pinecrest area off 108.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Prairie City haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H View Post
    Burlington Ridge area moto trails south of highway 20 and the town of Washington. Deer Creek drainage for the most part.
    I believe this is what dchester is referring to as Chalk Bluff. Lots of interesting riding around the Burlington Ridge complex (Towle Mill, Stanton, Omega, Excelsior, etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Prairie City haha
    that place is way too advanced for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shonbo View Post
    I believe this is what dchester is referring to as Chalk Bluff. Lots of interesting riding around the Burlington Ridge complex (Towle Mill, Stanton, Omega, Excelsior, etc)
    I think so, all in the same zone. I've only done the tight n twisty stuff south of the hwy. The last 1/8 mile was fun, if there is more like that back there i'd go back. I might go back anyway...lots of trail. https://www.strava.com/routes/10639952

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    downieville

mtb'er
    stonyford riding ??

I still haven't done the full DH that I've wanted to do, but it seems like it would be really legit.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My go to is Sugar Pine and China Wall OHV above Auburn. I can pedal to them and there are Black and Double Black Diamond runs. Problem is you have to pedal back up a Black Diamond trail to get out of most areas. Not for the faint of heart or legs..... Hundreds of miles of trails and some big loops.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    My go to is Sugar Pine and China Wall OHV above Auburn. I can pedal to them and there are Black and Double Black Diamond runs. Problem is you have to pedal back up a Black Diamond trail to get out of most areas. Not for the faint of heart or legs..... Hundreds of miles of trails and some big loops.
    Some interesting and exciting stuff in here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49108 (updated just the other day).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Some interesting and exciting stuff in here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=49108 (updated just the other day).
    Damn i wanna see this.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Oooo, interesting. Thanks for the link. Looks like significant changes for Foresthill.

mtbr member
    stonyford riding ??

I still haven't done the full DH that I've wanted to do, but it seems like it would be really legit.
    It depends. There are great DH segments. But in my opinion you would do A LOT of pedaling to get to those descents.

If you are looking for sweet descents, I donít think the time/effort is worth the reward.

But if you enjoy logging miles simply for the sake of logging miles, then there is so many huge loops you can do with some great riding. Just have to be smart on what to climb/descend so you donít have to hike a bike.

It would be sick to get a moto buddy to ďshuttleĒ you around all day. Maybe Iíll find some friends to do that for me this fall/winter.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    It depends. There are great DH segments. But in my opinion you would do A LOT of pedaling to get to those descents.

If you are looking for sweet descents, I donít think the time/effort is worth the reward.

But if you enjoy logging miles simply for the sake of logging miles, then there is so many huge loops you can do with some great riding. Just have to be smart on what to climb/descend so you donít have to hike a bike.

It would be sick to get a moto buddy to ďshuttleĒ you around all day. Maybe Iíll find some friends to do that for me this fall/winter.
    I've never been afraid of pedaling. Or hike-a-bike. From a topo standpoint, the DH I've been eyeballing looks like a nice payoff for some pedaling.

mtbr member
    I've never been afraid of pedaling. Or hike-a-bike. From a topo standpoint, the DH I've been eyeballing looks like a nice payoff for some pedaling.
    If you want, you can send me a route you are thinking of and Iíll give you some feedback. I grew up riding motos at Stony and know every trail like the back of my hand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Interested, going camping at the lake in a caople of weeks. I didnít know there was anything close,

Can you tell me more?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
    Interested, going camping at the lake in a caople of weeks. I didnít know there was anything close,

Can you tell me more?
    Download the map from the Forest Service, American River Ranger District.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3852645.pdf

You can ride right from the campground if you'd like. Take the paved trail around the lake clockwise. Go left after the first bridge. This will take you up Shirttail Creek. This will take you to up to Elliott Ranch Rd and you can access trails from there. I don't know your skill level so I'll just let you explore on your own. Most of the trails in Sugar Pine OHV are pretty tame for a good technical rider. Trails 5 and 6 going south are the real deal though, hard technical riding with big descents and climbs. You will push your bike and yourself out there.....

mtbr member
    Prosser Hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Kernville

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Download the map from the Forest Service, American River Ranger District.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3852645.pdf

You can ride right from the campground if you'd like. Take the paved trail around the lake clockwise. Go left after the first bridge. This will take you up Shirttail Creek. This will take you to up to Elliott Ranch Rd and you can access trails from there. I don't know your skill level so I'll just let you explore on your own. Most of the trails in Sugar Pine OHV are pretty tame for a good technical rider. Trails 5 and 6 going south are the real deal though, hard technical riding with big descents and climbs. You will push your bike and yourself out there.....
    Great information! Thank you. We are going to the group camp with around 12 other couples. I'll put the word out to bring bikes.

We're at the Forbes Group Campground. Looks like we can go right across the road to Finning Mill Rd and hit the Trail 4 loop. Any idea how that one is? I'm not a great rider, but I'm solid with anything like Hole in the Ground or less but will probably have less skilled folks with me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
    Great information! Thank you. We are going to the group camp with around 12 other couples. I'll put the word out to bring bikes.

We're at the Forbes Group Campground. Looks like we can go right across the road to Finning Mill Rd and hit the Trail 4 loop. Any idea how that one is? I'm not a great rider, but I'm solid with anything like Hole in the Ground or less but will probably have less skilled folks with me.
    Yes, you can go across to Finning Mill and pick up 4. You can also go left up the pavement and head into the Parker Flat staging area and catch the trail up there One more access is you can go out the back of the group camp on trail down to the lake and go right over Forbes Creek and over to Shirttail Creek and up that road as described above. Typically the trails in Sugar Pine are rockier around Finning Mill and west of there and loamier to the east and south of Finning Mill. There will be rocks and steep trails wherever you roam out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes, you can go across to Finning Mill and pick up 4. You can also go left up the pavement and head into the Parker Flat staging area and catch the trail up there One more access is you can go out the back of the group camp on trail down to the lake and go right over Forbes Creek and over to Shirttail Creek and up that road as described above. Typically the trails in Sugar Pine are rockier around Finning Mill and west of there and loamier to the east and south of Finning Mill. There will be rocks and steep trails wherever you roam out there.
    OK, so 1 is likely less rocky than 4? I could get on 4 near Finning Mill to 1-4, then 1. Do 1 in clockwise. If folks want to bail it looks like there is a road near Big Res. and could ride road home. Any others just continue on 1. Decent plan?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Let us not forget Corral, Sidewinder, Cedar trails in South Lake Tahoe.
    Horse Canyon by Kirkwood.

And the trails that were originally built by motors: Toads, Powerline, Sayles.

mtb'er