mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Ohlone Wilderness Trail

A little off topic rant/question, but I've been doing more hiking lately and decided to explore the Ohlone Wilderness Trail, I parked at Sunol Regional Wilderness Park and hiked to Mission Peak, of course I noticed it said no bikes allowed so I was expecting it so be some pretty technical single track stuff, but I was always curious why there were no bikes. Anyway, it started off good, nice single track trail, nothing technical at all, then it crosses Calaveras Rd and the single track turns into fire road, so i'm thinking okay, the trail probably follows the fire road for a little ways then gets back onto single track, but no, I was wrong, it was fire road all the way to Mission Peak. So my question is does anyone know why there are no bikes allowed? Or if there is anyway we can try to petition to get bikes on there, as it would be a nice connector to get to Sunol Regional and beyond. From reading the trail map/permit and other online info, it seems like most of the rest of the trail is fire road too, why no bikes? Besides the fact that EPRPD are nazi's

mtbr member
    That land the Ohlone trail goes through isn't EBRPD land is it? That might be one reason it doesn't have the usual rules. Usual in this case meaning bikes are OK on fire roads.

The Sunol end of the trail is steep for a long way. There might also be concern that bikes coming down there would be flying and not mix well with other trail users.

But yeah, I hiked that trail once and was surprised at first to see No Bikes signage.

Devil Mtn Expeditions
    It's my understanding it's because the area is designated as wilderness. This means no bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it really wilderness from a federal designation standpoint? That isn't all that easy to get. My default assumption is that EBRPD is just pretty anti-bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not Wilderness, it's SF water land. The trail goes past Sunol park into California State Wilderness (nearly same rules as Federal Wilderness) which is what you have in north eastern Coe - that's where the "wilderness" in the trail name comes from.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh, that is interesting, too bad we can't ride it though :-(

Paper or plastic?
    You can ride it. You just don't want to get caught... Frankly, there's probably better places out there to roam than this.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member

Ohlone Wilderness Trail

Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    You can ride it. You just don't want to get caught... Frankly, there's probably better places out there to roam than this.
    Never ridden this, but boy would it be an epic day to ride Mission Peak - Sunol - Ohlone Wilderness. Have always wanted to try it, but not alone (and previous mtbr discussions of the area involving helicopters have kept me free and clear). The allure to me is just to check it off the list as another off the beaten path area to have explored...
    Last edited by plantdude; 02-27-2013 at 08:22 PM.