It's about showing up.

Off Topic: Berkeley Mike is Department Chair

I know this isn't about cycling but I wanted to share that I have been appointed Chair of the Photography Department at Laney College. I have been teaching there once month for the last 3 years and picked up my own class this semester on Tuesdays.

I thought the department was poorly served by its leadership cadre leading a formally respected organization into mediocrity and impending termination. So I threw my hat into the ring. It got ugly. We had two elections which tied twice. Interviews with the President were the difference; vision and a sense of outreach and inclusion made the difference.

We were not optimistic but convinced of the need but I found out yesterday that I was selected. We are all a bit dazzled at the success and the acuity that came from the top. I think it a pretty ballsy move to select me over a team of 2 long-time department members.

It has some funny parallels with my cycling work. I will be rebuilding program with talented people within an institution that works at a slow pace with old investments that encumber it.

Sound familiar?
    I don't rattle.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I know this isn't about cycling but I wanted to share that I have been appointed Chair of the Photography Department at Laney College. I have been teaching there once month for the last 3 years and picked up my own class this semester on Tuesdays.

I thought the department was poorly served by its leadership cadre leading a formally respected organization into mediocrity and impending termination. So I threw my hat into the ring. It got ugly. We had two elections which tied twice. Interviews with the President were the difference; vision and a sense of outreach and inclusion made the difference.

We were not optimistic but convinced of the need but I found out yesterday that I was selected. We are all a bit dazzled at the success and the acuity that came from the top. I think it a pretty ballsy move to select me over a team of 2 long-time department members.

It has some funny parallels with my cycling work. I will be rebuilding program with talented people within an institution that works at a slow pace with old investments that encumber it.

Sound familiar?
    This is awesome! Congrats!

I hope to see better ambient information and document language within the next 25 years or so!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Congrats!

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Congrats Mike! Let's see some photos!

mtbr member
    Congrats Mike!
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

mtb'er
    Congrats! I'm sure there are the painting purists who scoff at photography. And then the film photographers who find solitude in their dark rooms must despise the mechanized cameras the kids are using these days.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    This is awesome! Congrats!

I hope to see better ambient information and document language in 25 words or less!
    Fixed!
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtbr member
    Very cool!

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Nice one!

Coming from a BFA in Photography, TAed, worked in the lab and later as a professional.

I risked/pioneered Photoshop/digital illustration in my commercial photography class. Risk done right = big reward! Get it!

P

I Got yer Activity Stream
    Like to take pictures then? <wink-wink, nudge-nudge>

Congratulations and enjoy your new role!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Congratulations Mike, but as I'm sure you know, academic infighting makes the trail access wars look like a walk or ride in the park.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly mac View Post
    Congratulations Mike, but as I'm sure you know, academic infighting makes the trail access wars look like a walk or ride in the park.
    Seriously. My wife shares with me the stupid, inane, childish emails that bounce around at the college she teaches at.

In any business, these turds would just be fired on the spot.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

That makes me smart
    Nice going! Congrats, mang!

It's about showing up.
    Thanks, gents. Infighting? I have read those emails and it just makes you roll your eyes. However, I have been trained here at MTBR to rise above the petty and clarify. I think I am equal to that. Mountain biking has taught me a lot.

From a business perspective, I agree whole heartedly. I work a lot with Venture Capitalists and they take no prisoners. At the same time I have met a number of really good folks who know how to work and look forward to becoming colleagues.

I have to say that, going in, the only chance I had was if the President "got" me. There was no handling this gal or being clever, there was only being dead straight up with her. I take strength from her decision.

I am taking bit of a pause for a few days even though this process has left me weeks behind in a major evaluation of our department. I'll lead a BTC gala ride,drink some beer. Shuffle some papers and files in my email folders and Monday....

Thanks for your kind worlds all.
    I don't rattle.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Psh, I call baloney.

"PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

Seriously thoh, LMK if/when I can use the lab?

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Nice one!

Coming from a BFA in Photography, TAed, worked in the lab and later as a professional.

I risked/pioneered Photoshop/digital illustration in my commercial photography class. Risk done right = big reward! Get it!

P
    Part of our challenge is to drag some folks into the digital age.
    I don't rattle.