mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Off-leash dogs at Waterdog allowed?

Just got back from a quick ride at Waterdog, and encountered around 10 different dogs off leash (only saw one on a leash). At least half of them were in my way, which isn't really a big deal, but I almost ran into two or three of them that were galloping around corners.

Are dogs allowed off leash there? I seem to recall they had to be leashed. I'm not a stickler for rules, but I'd feel pretty bad if I plowed into someone's dog and hurt it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dogs must be on leash there - it's the law. As we respect (most of us) hikers, people with dogs need to respect park rules - for our safety and the animal's safety.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Dogs must be on leash there - it's the law. As we respect (most of us) hikers, people with dogs need to respect park rules - for our safety and the animal's safety.
    Ok thanks, good to know. I didn't want to say anything, it was kind of ridiculous.

mtbr member
    During nice days WD can get really packed with hikers. I'm pretty positive that I almost never see dogs on leashes there even though its the law that they need to be leashed. I personally just expect there to be loose dogs there and keep an eye out for them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yah, especially pre-Superbowl.

I always figure there will be hikers around blind corners, but the dogs running at a fast pace seems a bit much. Anyway, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by monty797 View Post
    During nice days WD can get really packed with hikers. I'm pretty positive that I almost never see dogs on leashes there even though its the law that they need to be leashed. I personally just expect there to be loose dogs there and keep an eye out for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    People who seem to completely ignore leash laws are the worst... I always take advantage of those situations to give people a whole rash of ****.

like "hey... not trying to be a dick but I'm trying to get a nice bike ride in and don't really appreciate having to dodge dogs because you apparently can't read or chose to blatantly disregard the rules"... half the time they simply apologize and leash their dog, 25% of the time they trying arguing with me and try to make it seem like IM the one at fault for riding my bike, and 25% of the time they act like I don't exist.

One time a guy was a huge ******* so I told him "fine, don't leash your dog, but I'm not going to feel bad when I come around a corner and run that stupid thing over" He didn't look happy at all but I biked away before he could say anything lol.

All that being said, I LOVE dogs, but hate douches

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you come through a corner too hot, it doesn't really matter if the dog is on or off leash.

My experience is that dog owners know they are breaking the rules, and they know we are breaking the rules going over 15 mph. I find this creates a mutual level of respect.

Ultimately, Waterdog is a busy place with a lot of blind corners. Probably not the best place to be ripping.

sftrydr
    Personally speaking, I'd rather break bread than balls w dog folks.
    Me riding w anticipation of interactions pretty much alleviates most surprise encounters of all stripes,especially on wknds here in the bay area.
    Us cyclists are in the same category when it comes to access of any San Mateo Co parks trails as the lowly dog(yes,I know waterdog is a city governed park).
    When the time comes, which it inevitably will, for trails use policies within SMCo Parks to loosen, we'll need all the friends we can get... so be nice kids, even if it hurts to do so..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dogs off leash annoy me. I mostly keep it to myself as I know I do things, inadvertantly, that annoy other people. However, I rescued a dog from the shelter about eight years ago. She was never socialized with other dogs. From the start she has been great with kids and our cat. She is hit or miss with other dogs. So we trained the crap out of her. It meant so much to us that we even got her to pass the AKC canine good citizen test because we wanted to be reposnsible dog owners. So real dog training occurrs in the real world so we would take our dog to places where dogs were allowed to be on a leash. We have never owned a leash longer than 6 feet. With out fail, some clown(s) would have a dog off leash that would run up to our dog. The owner would say "its ok, he/she is friendly". I used to try to explain that we were training our dog bla bla bla and the the owner would try to to call their dog with no success. I would end up wrangling their dog for them and walking it over to the owner. Now, I just respond with "My dog isn't friendly and I am not paying your vet bill if you can't use a leash". BTW, my dog has never bitten another dog but, if they can't be considerate, they don't need to know that. My point in posting this, if you are a dog owner that like to walk your dog off leash, good for you, please be considerate of others that may be helping a shelter dog getting used to life outside a shelter by taking your dog to designated off-leash parks.

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeSmuggler View Post
    My experience is that dog owners know they are breaking the rules, and they know we are breaking the rules going over 15 mph. I find this creates a mutual level of respect.
    Not sure if Waterdog actually has an official speed limit for the trails.

Ultimately, Waterdog is a busy place with a lot of blind corners. Probably not the best place to be ripping.
    Official speed limit or not, I totally agree. Could be a dog off leash, kid, or a local Dentist hiker who likes to complain to the city about speeding bikes making her dive off the trail (yes, there is at least one of these there), riding in control especially when sight lines are limited is important.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

JHH
    mtbr member
    Dogs off leash no good. Waterdoog is full of them. Recognizing that it's illegal I don't get too upset over the lawless Belmontites.

There is a guy that does piss me off...... the mtb rider who let's his dog **** on the trial and not pick it up. Twice now I've had to deal with his dogs steaming pile wafting deep into my lungs on climbs. I really dis-like you law breaking smelly dog **** mtb guy. Karma is a female dog...
    Keep pedaling no matter what

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    If you come through a corner too hot, it doesn't really matter if the dog is on or off leash.

Agreed about ripping blind corners.

But dogs (unless they are white) are harder to see than people. And unleashed dogs are more likely to be further away from their owners. So you're creating a false equivalence there.

I'm a "she".
    Waterdog is indeed a busy place. I don't know if it depends on the time of the day or not, but I occasionally ride there before work. This morning on my short ride, I encountered about 15 hikers and 10 dogs, including 3 off leash. One woman picked up her little dog when I rode by saying "I don't want to mess up your riding" and then when she released the dog, she warned from behind me, "he might try to follow you for a little while because he thought it was fun." She was very cheerful, and I was cool with being followed. The other woman with two off leash dogs did not stop, so I stopped to let her and her two dogs walk by. The dogs just followed her and did not wander. I was cool with that too. Basically, I'd say that's how it is. Some dog owners try to do their best not to jeopardize your ride while letting their dogs enjoy the freedom of running as long as you give them time to respond; and some others feel more entitled to the trails so I accommodate. I'd say so far I've never had a bad encounter with dogs there and slowing down for them, or other trail users, was never an issue for me.

That being said, I disapprove this:
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    the mtb rider who let's his dog **** on the trial and not pick it up.
    ▁▂▃▄▅▆ Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    (❁◡`❁) Zenning...