Thread: Oat Hill

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Oat Hill

Just read the reviews on Oat Hill Mine Road in Calistoga and was appalled. There is no such thing as "The Rollers". The "Girl Scout Loop" does not exist either. This trail is an out and back. Period. To whom it may concern, don't post reviews for which there are NO TRAILS! You are going to get the place closed to bikes. Ride Safe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re:Oat Hill

Quote Originally Posted by LARGE
    Just read the reviews on Oat Hill Mine Road in Calistoga and was appalled. There is no such thing as "The Rollers". The "Girl Scout Loop" does not exist either. This trail is an out and back. Period. To whom it may concern, don't post reviews for which there are NO TRAILS! You are going to get the place closed to bikes. Ride Safe.
    Calm down a little, "appalled", is just a little over the top don't you think?.

I just read that review and that guy knows way more about this area than you do. Granted, I don't know where the GS Loop is either but I trust that it exists. Also, this is definitely not just an out and back, try the Pallisades trail sometime (but don't wait too long or the Star Thistle will be back).
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    Calm down a little, "appalled", is just a little over the top don't you think?.

I just read that review and that guy knows way more about this area than you do. Granted, I don't know where the GS Loop is either but I trust that it exists. Also, this is definitely not just an out and back, try the Pallisades trail sometime (but don't wait too long or the Star Thistle will be back).
    Not over the top at all. I have been exploring this area for eight years now and know it just as well, if not better than "that guy". The land owner at the bottom of the rollers is pissed off because of erosion. He has gone into the local bike shop to complain. Somebody got caught on private land last year and started dropping names to the owners. The Palisades trail is a hiking trail only. Don't ride it. Posting illegal trails is going get the place closed off. Yes, I'm appalled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re:Oat hill

Not over the top at all. I have been exploring this area for eight years now and know it just as well, if not better than "that guy". The land owner at the bottom of the rollers is pissed off because of erosion. He has gone into the local bike shop to complain. Somebody got caught on private land last year and started dropping names to the owners. The Palisades trail is a hiking trail only. Don't ride it. Posting illegal trails is going get the place closed off. Yes, I'm appalled.
    First you said that "Rollers" doesn't exist, now apparently the land owner at the bottom of it is not so happy...so it does exist after all but no one should ride it. That's OK I probably won't since going down the regular trail is fairly fun and I really don't want to run across any land owners. I know the Pallisades trail is hiking only...that is part of the attraction and I plan on riding it occasionally(1-2x/yr) for the next 15-20 years provided I don't kill myself on it first. The section past Lasky Point is very challenging.

Ever heard of another one called Pickett's?...I hear that's fun too.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    First you said that "Rollers" doesn't exist, now apparently the land owner at the bottom of it is not so happy...so it does exist after all but no one should ride it. That's OK I probably won't since going down the regular trail is fairly fun and I really don't want to run across any land owners. I know the Pallisades trail is hiking only...that is part of the attraction and I plan on riding it occasionally(1-2x/yr) for the next 15-20 years provided I don't kill myself on it first. The section past Lasky Point is very challenging.

Ever heard of another one called Pickett's?...I hear that's fun too.
    What's your favorite daily/weekly mountain bike ride? Something close to home that you like to ride often?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm not sure...

What's your favorite daily/weekly mountain bike ride? Something close to home that you like to ride often?
    I'm not sure of the point of your question but....Mt Diablo,Yes
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm not sure of the point of your question but....Mt Diablo,Yes
    Right on. Maybe I'll run into you at Diablo some time. Until then I will stick to the ol' out n back.
    Later, fourskin.

banned
    Right on. Maybe I'll run into you at Diablo some time. Until then I will stick to the ol' out n back.
    Excellent!

Less people in the backcountry on the good stuff then.

The out and back is so short once you've spent some time exploring all of that land back there.