Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nvdc! (napa Valley Dirt Classic!)

10K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  spaak 
#1 ·
Anyone else headed to Angwin this weekend for this "Classic" race?

This was my first race ever last year and it's the one that really hooked me on nor-cal xc racing.

As a true "beginner" I logged a miserable time of almost 3 hours last year. After a year of racing and training i'm headed back for sport class and hope to trim about 45 minutes off of that time....

Looks like the weather will be nice and the trail should be dust free - I'm having a hard time controlling my excitement!

-B

#29 ·
nvdc

hey guys, I've been riding the race route all week, and the trail is looking super sweet! There still a bunch of mud/water on the lower loop and sand hill is deeply rutted. Unfortunately, its supposed to rain sat night/sunday morning-so get ready for some mud. See y'all here on Sunday!

#31 ·
marty crosley said:
Anyone race here in the rain ? Just want to know what tires to have ready....thanks
If it's muddy, nothing too fat. 2.0 or thinner with nice sticky rubber and wide spaced nobs. A Kenda small block 8 is a BAD choice. You want it to slice into the mud, not float on top of it. Then you need the sticky rubber to grip any wet roots or rocks.

#32 ·
ziscwg said:
If it's muddy, nothing too fat. 2.0 or thinner with nice sticky rubber and wide spaced nobs. A Kenda small block 8 is a BAD choice. You want it to slice into the mud, not float on top of it. Then you need the sticky rubber to grip any wet roots or rocks.
I got SM8 on the rear and too lazy to change tires :nono:

I ran Nevegal 2.1 front and SM8 2.1 Rear at Boggs last weekend in the mud and it worked well, but wish me luck! :eek:

#33 ·
iRoNeTiK said:
I got SM8 on the rear and too lazy to change tires :nono:

I ran Nevegal 2.1 front and SM8 2.1 Rear at Boggs last weekend in the mud and it worked well, but wish me luck! :eek:
that climb at the end could be "fun" with a SB8 back there.

#34 ·
ziscwg said:
that climb at the end could be "fun" with a SB8 back there.
Yeah "fun," if we had motors we could remove the "" around fun :D

Last year, I was on a HT and Panaracer XC Pro's, but I had mechanical issues and couldn't shift all the way down to the lowest granny, so a goal of mine this year is to make it up all (or most) of the hill without stopping.

For those who did Friends of Tamrancho race last year, remember that grueling uphill section? I barely made it up that up, some girl even pushed me up a part of it so I could keep going! I feel like the NVDC climb is very close to that grade but only longer! :rolleyes:

Oh and it's time to go to REI and get a rear fender, I bought a SKS front fender for Boggs and it worked well, but I want to join the crowd of riders who spit dirt in peoples faces who are behind you ;)

#45 ·
Borrowed Mini-Tool

That was rough. What a mess. My derailer hanger broke off just before the big climb and I had to hike out. Of course, with all that mud, pretty much everyone had to hike up the big climb. :rolleyes:

To the guy that gave me his mimi-tool so I could yank off my chain and derailer.... send me an email and I'll get that back to you. Thanks so much for that! Love the good will out there today.

chrisk (at) vidog (dot) com
Team Sheila Moon

#46 ·
NoBalance said:
Yeah, all over the place. Did Boggs 5 just get owned?
Sounds like it did. The ONLY saving grace from Boggs was that it didn't rain (only a short hail shower)! I stayed home, watched the Masters, Paris-Roubaix and the Giants game. To all those who raced today, way to "harden the f*ck up. Ronnie Johns would be proud :thumbsup:

#47 ·
Everyone who raced today is top notch in my book. Way to tough out the elements! You all rock!

Overall, I had an excellent race. Once you embraced the rain and the mud, it was a great time. I hardly noticed the 'poor conditions' once my blood got pumping. It didn't take long for the Curse of Chainsuck to kick in, but I kept it under control and didn't snap my chain. Big ol' Kenda Nevegals worked out well for this one! I noticed a few people having a hard time out there with less aggressive tires.

This was my first Napa Valley Mud Fest and definitely not the last! I heard there's a "dirt classic" next year?

I finished in 2hr12min for 5th (of 15) in 19-34 sport.

So. F'in. Fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Carmen for capturing the aftermath of this most muddy day.

#48 ·
Hard as nails!!

That's what all you rippers are who raced today! I was in Napa for a wedding think'n how close I was to my favorite xc race, yet so far... Spoke with an older rider at the wedding who owns two Ottis Guy's,,,

,,,then I'm driving through St.Helena in the pissing rain and what do I see on the roof of a Suby? A sweet Ottis Guy, muddy as all hell, brown number plate. Damn.... Nice ride to whomever drove solo to race on that v-braked classic!

Can't even begin to think about how brutal that climb outta the hole was... oh, wait, I've been in there on a very similar day to today! Stupid fun.

#49 · (Edited)
If anyone has pictures, please post up links. I'm especially interested in seeing #247. ;)

Well, what can I say -- mudworm finally got to play in the mud. Total immersion style, head to toe and inside 'n out. I was one of those lucky ones who finished the ride safe and sound with a big smile though. A plastic grocery bag outside of my helmet and a free oversized plastic poncho (got it from last year's Death Ride) kept my head and core dry, which turned a would-have-been-miserable ride into a just-a-bit-uncomfortable ride.

My real ordeal started after the ride though when I found out that my saddlebag was gone with all my keys inside, so I couldn't get in the car and couldn't buy any food or beverage. Dripping mud, I stood in the shower in my riding gear and then waited through the entire awards ceremony hoping someone had picked it up and turned it in. Eventually, the course sweep came back without good news for me. By then, despite having a towel and a fashionable blouse donated by two kind ladies, I was shivering uncontrollably. The race organizer, Michael's wife and two beautiful daughters took me into their house, put dry clothes on me and fed me with the best soup I had ever had in my life. I gradually thawed.

Oh, that earlier message was posted by my hubby from my computer before he started to drive north with a valet key to my car (and later he edited it to remove his phone number). In the mean time, Michael and one of his daughters went back out on the course to start taking down the signs.

My luck then suddenly turned. Michael phoned home saying they found my saddlebag right at that first Wall. I must had lost it by the end because I was able to hear my keys rattling inside for the most of my ride. It turned out that the entire clip broke from my bag probably just from the constant vibrations. That was the first and last use of that ToePeak bag. Lesson learned: always keep the essential stuff on your body when riding.

This is my first NVDC ride. 2:52 on my GPS, which I stopped a couple minutes after passing the finish, placing me 2nd in my Sport age group. I guess I'll have to come back to do it on a nicer day to see another side of the area. One guy commented that he had been racing NVDC since 1994 and this is the worst ever condition, so there is hope.

Kudos to everyone who finished the race and I'm sorry for anyone who could not finish due to mishaps (mechanical or physical). Thanks everyone who helped me when I was feeling miserable, especially Michael's family! You all are such beautiful people! :thumbsup:

P.S. Once I finish with my full report (bike and tire talk), I'll post up the link here.

#50 ·
jdubsl2 said:
Everyone who raced today is top notch in my book. Way to tough out the elements! You all rock!

Overall, I had an excellent race. Once you embraced the rain and the mud, it was a great time. I hardly noticed the 'poor conditions' once my blood got pumping. It didn't take long for the Curse of Chainsuck to kick in, but I kept it under control and didn't snap my chain. Big ol' Kenda Nevegals worked out well for this one! I noticed a few people having a hard time out there with less aggressive tires.

This was my first Napa Valley Mud Fest and definitely not the last! I heard there's a "dirt classic" next year?

I finished in 2hr12min for 5th (of 15) in 19-34 sport.

So. F'in. Fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Carmen for capturing the aftermath of this most muddy day.

You sure you were there? You look a little too clean to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.