Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nvdc! (napa Valley Dirt Classic!)

10K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  spaak 
#1 ·
Anyone else headed to Angwin this weekend for this "Classic" race?

This was my first race ever last year and it's the one that really hooked me on nor-cal xc racing.

As a true "beginner" I logged a miserable time of almost 3 hours last year. After a year of racing and training i'm headed back for sport class and hope to trim about 45 minutes off of that time....

Looks like the weather will be nice and the trail should be dust free - I'm having a hard time controlling my excitement!

-B

#3 ·
Hell Ya!!
After a piss poor showing at Boggs, I'm ready to stomp on the competition at NVDC:arf:

Remember to bring some Technu and shower stuff. The trails in Angwin are solid PO right now. The showers at the college gym are open to the racers after the race which helps out with preventing massive PO breakouts.

#4 ·
rsquared28 said:
Hell Ya!!
After a piss poor showing at Boggs, I'm ready to stomp on the competition at NVDC:arf:

Remember to bring some Technu and shower stuff. The trails in Angwin are solid PO right now. The showers at the college gym are open to the racers after the race which helps out with preventing massive PO breakouts.
I will bring my Ivy Block and Technu and shower stuff, good to know, thanks!

The weather looks to be good for the rest of the week, give the ground a chance to dry up :thumbsup:

I did it last year (1st time) and came in at 2 hours 15 minutes which placed me 14th out of 30th in Beginner. I'm doing sport this year 19-34, competition will be harder!

I bombed out on the last hill, I guess I didnt pace myself too well. Oh well, I'm going to attack it like I did last year and hope I'm in better shape so I can go up that damn hill or most of it at least ;)

#5 ·
iRoNeTiK said:
I did it last year (1st time) and came in at 2 hours 15 minutes which placed me 14th out of 30th in Beginner. I'm doing sport this year 19-34, competition will be harder!
;)
A lot harder. NVDC is one of the few area races that is NORBA sanctioned. Not many of us carry annual licenses and NORBA does not allow one-day Expert licenses, so the CAT 2 Sport ranks are filled with CAT 1 Expert racers.:madman: Makes it real hard for those of us that are true CAT 2 Sport racers to reach the podium.:rolleyes:

#7 ·
rsquared28 said:
A lot harder. NVDC is one of the few area races that is NORBA sanctioned. Not many of us carry annual licenses and NORBA does not allow one-day Expert licenses, so the CAT 2 Sport ranks are filled with CAT 1 Expert racers.:madman: Makes it real hard for those of us that are true CAT 2 Sport racers to reach the podium.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the excuse!

#9 ·
12to29 said:
Is it the EXACT same course every year???
I don't think its exactly the same, but the basics remain. Climb up to the airport, a couple of high speed straight aways, a bunch of sweet singletrack, a lot of climbing, a super steep, sandy drop down into Pope Valley, a super steep climb out of Pope Valley, the big whoops section, then a high speed decent back to the college:thumbsup:

#14 ·
rsquared28 said:
Thats why I upgraded to Cat 1, to avoid the sandbaggers ;) But what sucked about expert/cat1 last year was that they eliminated the semi pro category. So those guys had the option of a free upgrade to pro, or could drop back down to expert/cat1. So I think all around, having one less category makes every category tougher.

#19 ·
iheartbicycles said:
How far in is the big climb?
I haven't done the race since 2006, but as I recall, it's basically at the end. On SS it's unrideable, at least for me. So once you get to the point in the climb where you can actually start turning the cranks again, there is a short, sucky bit of climbing left, and then it's all downhill from there to the finish (basically re-tracing the starting climb up to the airport). If I am mis-remembering, someone please feel free to correct me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.