Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Yeah, all over the place. Did Boggs 5 just get owned?
    Made Boggs look like a walk in the park!

Last edited by mtnmark; 04-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.

mind taking
    MuddimanMat got worked yesterday.

Had a great ride, legs felt awesome, toasted scores of my competitors on the technical downhills, and lived to get 3rd place in Cat 3. Scored a seat in the raffle, got a t-shirt to prove it, and had some kick-butt mexican food with Justin. A great weekend overall.

All that mud and rain, and this event was STILL EASIER THAN COOLEST 2009! Coolest 2009 set the bar for misery and filthy riding, everything else pales in comparison to that weekend, so I was in a totally happy place for the entire ride.

Mudworm: so glad you found your keys, I was bummed for you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nvdc! (napa Valley Dirt Classic!)-24393_376378191138_511436138_3898750_1701539_n.jpg  

Team Trail Head
    Jun 2008

Hell Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by lars@thc
    ...Stupid fun.
    Hey Lars,
    Matteo and I were out representin' THC on a day to remember. It seems like weather is always a factor at NVDC; either mud and rain, or brutal heat.

I broke my chain at the very bottom before the climb out, and by the time I got it fixed with frozen wet hands, I was cold and cramped for that climb.

I'm still pulling little bits of dirt out of my eyes... but no stop at the emergency room this year.

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Results are up! I didn't stick around to see where I placed since I was wet and cold and then more wet and cold

Open Pro Male 1 Aren Timmel 01:40:42 00:00:00 429
    Open Pro Male 2 Mark Weir 01:40:43 00:00:01 320
    Open Pro Male 3 Jim Hewett 01:40:45 00:00:02 103

Wow, wish I could have seen that man! Anyone got pictures they want to share? Thanks!

http://web2.puc.edu/Pioneers/NVDC/10%20results.htm

I got 7th out 24th Cat 2 19-34 with 2 hours 18 minutes, 5 minutes slower than last year, damn weather! I did Cat 3 last year.

19-34 Cat 2 Male 1 Frank Spiteri 01:51:03 00:00:00 342
    19-34 Cat 2 Male 2 Owen Ransom 02:05:01 00:13:58 212
    19-34 Cat 2 Male 3 Nathan Brown 02:07:02 00:02:01 255

Time to move up Frank? That time would have placed you easily second in Cat 1 19-34

Anyway, it was a fun race and it was fun at the end looking at people's brown faces while my face was clean, GO FENDERS!

I totally failed at this years goal of climbing most of the climb due to no traction and chain suck in granny gear. Although walking up the climb wasn't as painful as last year and I felt stronger and not as tired, so that's good!

Sea Otter shall be dry but that course only gets better with some rain a day or two before, tames the sand. See ya guys there, Cat 2 25-29, 7:30am Saturday!
    Last edited by iRoNeTiK; 04-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.

I'm a "she".
    Last edited by mudworm; 04-12-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Captain Trail Head

Way to fly the colors...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Trail
    Hey Lars,
    Matteo and I were out representin' THC on a day to remember. It seems like weather is always a factor at NVDC; either mud and rain, or brutal heat.

I broke my chain at the very bottom before the climb out, and by the time I got it fixed with frozen wet hands, I was cold and cramped for that climb.

I'm still pulling little bits of dirt out of my eyes... but no stop at the emergency room this year.

Brian
    Nice goin, mates! Yessir, "a day to remember" is always a good story... Bummer on the chain! Damn, sounds like you were not the lone ranger on that one, but right before the climb,,, ouch.

Stoked you got to head straight to the warm food...!! I bet Matt was too Roadside burger at Gotts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I am from the UK and these conditions were almost the worst I have raced in. The worst it was -6C before the start and we had to break the ice in the portable toilet!

I had a great time, the course was fun (apart from that last hill!). I managed to cycle straight into a creek at one point. Straight over the bars, completely immersed - quite funny.

Looking forward to doing a fast Californian race soon......

Lusus Naturae
    Crazy ride! I had my doubts about this once when I showed up at the venue but just shut my brain off and went ahead with the ride. Twenty minutes in I wondered to myself if perhaps I should just bail on this race.

Starting with the initial fireroad after the first singletrack, it was mostly the same mucky, peanut-buttery gunk for much of the fireroads. The singletrack was actually a bit better but still very beat up. I don't know what the trails were like for the Expert and Sport class but my god the trails when I got to them were a disaster!

Climbing up out of the Pope valley(?) was different this year from last -- not because I did any riding, mind you -- mainly because I could hardly get a grip on the trail with my shoes let alone any tires.

For a while there I thought chainsuck (granny) was going to get me but as the trail finally became ride-able I was able to make up good ground once again and pass a bunch of folks walking up a rather mild incline.

This was yet another "survival" race rather than one that really affected my cardio in any way. Amazing experience ... and I think we all knew going into this race that when we made it out, it would be quite rewarding.

My bro came along and took a bunch of pictures at the final single-track section. You may notice the accumulation of water change from when the Pros come through to when I came through. That was one big bog!

nvdc10_0006

nvdc10_0008

nvdc10_0017

nvdc10_0019

nvdc10_0022

nvdc10_0024

Seth

nvdc10_0065

Mei

mtbr member
    Great photos. I hoped that your brother was an event photographer. I would love to buy a photo of my self at that mudbog Please let me know if we can get photos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the photos, my face (#243) is so clean compared the others. A lot less fender use than at Boggs, strange.

I'm a "she".
    Yes, I remember seeing your brother. I thought he had to be paid to be standing out there in that cold and wetness. What an awesome bro you got there, NoBalance! I have never been so excited to see a picture of me on a ride. Please give your bro a big hug for me and tell him I said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Next time when we are at the same event, please be sure to find me. All you need to utter is "NVDC" and I'll buy you each a beer!

It just dawned on me that NoBalance, you and I have a long history. You were there at my first race, and you were there at my last race.

I love that picture of #355. That's the spirit!

P.S. I hope your brother has no issue with me reposting the picture in my blog. (Let me know if it's inappropriate.)
    Last edited by mudworm; 04-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Pro Race Report

Wow! It looks like the trail got nastier the farther back you started. I was the second person of everyone to get to most of the trails, and they didn't seem as bad.
    Check out my race report for the details of the heartbreak finish
    http://summitcallup.ning.com/profile/JimHewett
    Maybe it will be sunny for Sea Otter?

Lusus Naturae
    Marty, I am working on getting my bro to do photography and video for events and will probably eventually provide an interface for digital purchases. For now its free to use on Flickr but not all racers pics are up.

marty

mtbr member
    Let us know when the rest are up on Flickr. I loves me some race photos!

mtbr member
    NoBalance..Yo and your Bro Rock... This just made my week..I have told people about the rain/mud but this is IT !!!!!! I to offer beer in the future and look forward to his photography business. THANK YOU !!

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by breadly
    Let us know when the rest are up on Flickr. I loves me some race photos!
    Actually thats it. Give me your race # and I'll see if I have a pic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you have a pic for #141 that would be fantastic. I was the guy with no drivetrain pushing my bike.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm

It just dawned on me that NoBalance, you and me have a long history. You were there at my first race, and you were there at my last race.

I love that picture of #355. That's the spirit!

P.S. I hope your brother has no issue with me reposting the picture in my blog. (Let me know if it's inappropriate.)
    I think I actually saw you but wasn't sure. I wondered if you could even survive in that kind of weather. You can use the picture as you want. Its my camera and Flickr site so no problems there.

That was a difficult race to stay on your wheels for at least 30% of the trail ... I had to go extra slow just to keep on the bike, in some areas; with others, speed was your friend.

Its interesting that the pictures make that one spot look like perhaps it was the muddiest but honestly after enduring the entire course of peanut butter mud and dozens of huge puddles, it was really nothing.

Biggest problem for me was my prescription sunglasses had partially muddy water droplets on them the entire time, distorting my vision. I really had a hard time seeing anything clearly and that stressed me out all day. Just glad to make it out of there!

Here I am reaching the final puddles - I did have both front and rear fenders but those only helped so much ... say Hi if you see me at Sea Otter this weekend (40-44 Cat3 XC). I will probably do some pre-riding on Friday and find a spot on the course to take pics of the Cat1 racers, then same thing on Saturday for Cat2.

Kris

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here I am reaching the final puddles - I did have both front and rear fenders but those only helped so much ... say Hi if you see me at Sea Otter this weekend (40-44 Cat3 XC). I will probably do some pre-riding on Friday and find a spot on the course to take pics of the Cat1 racers, then same thing on Saturday for Cat2.
    I will be there for the Cat 2 race, 7:30am, blaaaaaah! Probably be wearing my CCCX or Pyramid Brew Jersey, just yell out when I pass you

mtbr member
    any of #120?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Any of #435, 101 or 102?

Thanks, Great pics from what i have seen so far!

Lusus Naturae
    Posted 120 and 435 to the flickr album. Number 102 was totally blurry and 101 doesnt even show up in the results on the PUC site. If you can give me the finish time of 101 I may be able to determine where in the photo set to look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kriscan...7623844427870/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Posted 120 and 435 to the flickr album. Number 102 was totally blurry and 101 doesnt even show up in the results on the PUC site. If you can give me the finish time of 101 I may be able to determine where in the photo set to look.

Thanks, thinking about it, 101 DNFed before the camera.

How about the other Chico boys, Aren 429 winner. Crumm 284 at 2:43

Thanks a bunch!

Lusus Naturae
    431 and 367 already are on flickr. the earliest pro rider we got was Nitish Nag at 1:47
    added #284 just now. check flickr site.

Also there are many other races on my flickr account - check the Sets.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks a lot! I hope i speak for everyone when i say that we really appreciate the effort of camping out in the rain to make these pics available for us!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast