Spin-stabilized

NSX - Canadian adventure part 3

My first North Shore Experience that is. I had plans to ride the Mt. Fromme trails today but bike rental and transport logistics didn't make that convenient. I rented a Norco Fluid LT from a shop at the base of Mt. Seymour and rode that mountain instead. I decided to ride the 6 or so road miles to the start of the CBC trail near the top, a decision I soon regretted. The road ride was hot in the late morning sun. There was a long fire road and probably some pushing up some steep singletrack as an alternate route. I opted out of it to save my strength for the crazy trails. In retrospect, I think climbing dirt in the shade and some pushing would have been better. Anyway, I climbed up in the heat while watching countless cars bristling with freeride bikes go up the mountain. One dude driving down gave me a "Right on!" pressumably for not being a shuttle monkey that day and freeing up some parking lot space. If only he knew that I would have preferred a shuttle myself. The heat was no fun.

Stopped to take in the view at the Deep Cove viewpoint
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

After a few more miles, I was finally there. Here we go...
    Photobucket

Some nice rockwork...
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    ...and woodwork
    Photobucket

I was concentrating on this skinny so much that I forgot that I was in the wrong gear for the steep ladder climb at the end.
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    I stalled and put my feet down and put the brakes on. No good, I just slid backwards and fell into the bog. It was a good fall, about 5 feet, at least it was a soft landing

Not everything was both high commitment and high consequence. There are the skinny planks that are only a couple of feet off the ground or the logs that are 10 or so feet up but are pretty wide.
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Too many fun (and funny named) trails, so little time...
    Here's the bottom of Ned's Atomic Dust Bin at the intersection with Dirty Diapers.
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

I rode only a handful of trails but I was worked. I survived the crazy Shore trails with just a few pedal-pin scrapes from the awkward dismount at the bog skinny. The bike didn't blow me away like the Enduro SL that I rented in Whistler did (the SL climbs and descends very nicely). I guess it was mainly suspension setup to blame. Too much monkey motion and the brakes also engaged a little too close to the grips. That just about killed my confidence. If I ever come back to this unique trail system I'll be sure to bring my own bike. Fear of damaging the rental kind of made me a little tentative. I'd hate to spend more money for busted parts on top of everything. It was a fun but mentally exhausting ride. However, once you find your groove (and have good equipment) and learn to silence your upper body, the skinny planks and ladders are really a lot of fun to ride. I like the xylophone-like sound that the ladders make when you ride them fast. It would be a perfect group ride since it's like riding in one big playground. It's like being a little kid again out there. The Mt. Fromme trails are supposed to be more pristine as there is no way to shuttle to the top. Maybe someday...
    Last edited by bailout; 07-01-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    So awesome. I only got to ride Mt Seymour when I was up there, but it was incredible.

banned
    Jul 2008

Bike Mania !!!!

I have been dreaming to visit Fromme. Well due to shortage of time i was unable to do the needful.. but my first experience was by visiting Mt. Seymour... when i reached at the top it was so so beautiful indeed and is another creative scene of nature.
    ================================================== ================
    Steve
    Addiction Recovery California

Urban Ninja

O Canada!

I just finalized our accommodations for a Whistler/Squamish/Vancouver/Oregon trip in August. I'm getting psyched looking at all you photo's. Thanks for the post. Did you ride Bogeyman? It's scary

mtbr member

Canadians don't mess around

I was just up that way, however, the only riding in Vancouver I did was on a wheelchair in the hospital. I demo'd out of my vacation at Whistler my 6 day of the trip. If anybody is thinking about heading up there here is my advice: Get Pads. My knees are thanking me for buying the shin/knee pads I got the day before, and my ribs are yelling at me for being cheap about the pressure suit. I ended up breaking 5 ribs and fracturing my back.

However, I still can't wait to get back.

mtbr member
    I will never get sick of looking at pictures or video from the North Shore. Thanks for putting these up. If only we could build trails like those around here.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    I just finalized our accommodations for a Whistler/Squamish/Vancouver/Oregon trip in August. I'm getting psyched looking at all you photo's. Thanks for the post. Did you ride Bogeyman? It's scary
    Nice!

Nope, didn't ride Bogeyman. I think I rode CBC, TNT, DD, Ned's, Incline, Pingu and Empress. I wish I had a few more days to ride there and maybe a dialed bike would have been nice.

Have fun and post better pictures than mine. It got kinda lame and tedious setting up timed shots.

☠☠☠
    May 2008
    awesome pics and trails. Wish we had stuff like that in the bay

Lusus Naturae
    Total playground! Doubt I can ride most of those logs and planks right now but I'm gunna learn for sure, some day ... I need to work on my, umm.. balance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    for a moment I thought you were referring to this....

awesome scenery

We need more wax
    Very impressive riding up to the Top of CBC. Next time you might try hanging around the Safeway parking lot. That is a standard meeting place for shuttling. Lats year we looked for some riders who were interested in sharing a shuttle. We took our truck to the top and then used their car to collect the truck after the ride.

Thanks for sharing the pics. It takes a lot of work and time to do the action shots solo.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob
    Very impressive riding up to the Top of CBC. Next time you might try hanging around the Safeway parking lot. That is a standard meeting place for shuttling. Lats year we looked for some riders who were interested in sharing a shuttle. We took our truck to the top and then used their car to collect the truck after the ride.

Thanks for sharing the pics. It takes a lot of work and time to do the action shots solo.
    Ah, if only I knew. The dude at Different Bikes that rented out the Norco to me didn't even mention that. He made it sound like the ride up to the top of CBC was a routine thing. I did look like a stupid GORBi that day pedaling up the shoulderless highway in the heat. I kept putting my full-face on and taking it off again, couldn't decide if I was better off not overheating or being protected if an inattentive driver hit me.

As for the pics, I could've done better really. I was just in a bit of a hurry because I needed to make it back to downtown Vancouver by 5 for dinner. There were so many stunts/structures that I wanted to take pictures of. I think I was too pre-occupied by being so stoked that I'm cleaning the more difficult options and then realizing how ugly it could have been if lost my cool and aborted.

That place is sick!