Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by ender
    Looks like I'm going to take 2 trips to Whistler.
    same here...probably early july and late aug.

and if this is a precedent and they close N* for good, I might have to move back home.

aka baycat
    Guess I will stick to D'ville, toads, hole in the ground and some other haunts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    same here...probably early july and late aug.

and if this is a precedent and they close N* for good, I might have to move back home.
    I'm probably going late July, race in colorado after that. Maybe go again late August.

Yeah, n* was a large factor in me staying in the bay area.
    "Identify your real master."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pissed about Northstar not opening.

But I'm more pissed about how few days I got in at Granlibakken this year. That place is sooo fun. Its got a few thousand vertical feet and its sheltered location keeps it isolated from the wind.

mtbr member
    Anyone know how Mammoth or Kirkwood compares to Northstar? I'm looking forward to my first Downieville trip this summer, but I don't picture it being the same in terms of the terrain.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Who cares if stupid rockstar will be open next summer? I'll spend the extra hour to drive to Mammoth. They did waaay more trail maintenence last summer than N* to keep me coming back for more. What has N* done for me lately? So they built a couple of bridges two years ago, big whoop. Nothing was changed last year. They need to get their act together and build trails that are challanging AND fun.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Kirkwood is very small time compared to either. Chairs 1 & 2 are open to bikes. Chair 1 is a beginner lift, while Chair 2 offers a few different options, none very challenging. Downieville has lots of sweet trails for different levels. The Lakes Basin area is quite rocky and technical, but you have to earn your turns so to speak. I've been riding there for the past ten years and still not tired of it. Except for the main shuttle run, Butcher Ranch, you can often ride without the crowds.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Who cares if stupid rockstar will be open next summer? I'll spend the extra hour to drive to Mammoth. They did waaay more trail maintenence last summer than N* to keep me coming back for more. What has N* done for me lately? So they built a couple of bridges two years ago, big whoop. Nothing was changed last year. They need to get their act together and build trails that are challanging AND fun.
    Please enlighten me if I am wrong: There are no other trails like Sticks and Stones nor STD. Slow and super technical.

I train up all year to take my N* riding to the next level. I was really looking forward to it this year.

Mr. P

Sweat is just fat crying.

Who cares??

Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Who cares??? From reading the posts here and on the DH board, quite a few of us. And the trails are challanging (sic). You're just not riding fast enough.

Selfish bunt.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Coors, the american beer.
    fucc i go and spend hella money on a rig and now the place isnt gonna be open

so is mammoth sick or what?
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Medium?

You can still ride there.

North* is all national forest. They can't close the trails, just the lifts. Squaw Valley, OTOH, is all private property.

JFR
    mtbr member
    Unbelievable. The year I finally get a N* bike, they close. Fortunantly it's more like "almost got" since I'm looking at the cashiers check scheduled for mail today. The sellers gunna be pissed. (Edit: The bike purchace is not ebay.)

This is truly an unfortunate situation and I'm super bummed.

On the bright side. I understand the original plan was to close for TWO years, but last year they managed to stay open. It's also rumored they are indeed planning to cater to mtbers in the future and have been looking at you know where as a model.

KBA
    Seasonal Lama

Heads up

I passed this thread on to the POWERS THAT BE at NS, and they've promised to post some offical responses and explenations. From what I've heard internally, NS is no happier about this than any of us. Hell I don't even ride there in the summer, I ride the other side of the ridge, but if NS is closed it means my favorite trails get even more traffic.

And who's been ripping on Gralibakken. . .home of the National Championship Downhill Ski races! Dear lord, just riding their tow ropes and magic carpets scares the crap out of mortal men. I hear Warren Miller won't even go there (wuss).
    Crap. . .

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    North* is all national forest.
    As I understand it, it's actully under thier ownership where the dh trails are. Just lookout mountain is still usfs lease.

I think that's why the trails are there in the first place. They don't have to deal with the same gripes that mammoth and kirkwood do as far as new trail construction since it's under lease. The irony of a path through the woods being an issue at these places vs. putting in a chairlift kills me.

That said I've ridden there a bunch after work (my office is right over the backside) and never once been confronted. Their trail network is treated like an amenity for people living/staying there so it's fair game. I've even shuttled it without problems.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KBA
    And who's been ripping on Gralibakken. . .home of the National Championship Downhill Ski races! Dear lord, just riding their tow ropes and magic carpets scares the crap out of mortal men. I hear Warren Miller won't even go there (wuss).
    I'm mad. Even if Northstar isn't the greatest, its the loss of one NOrcal DH spot.

I've been shredding G-bak (thats what the hardcore folk call it) all winter this year. Miller filmed me jibbing it up on the sled hill.

Warren got broke there though, the tow rope touched him in a bad way.

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... Northstar Shmortstar - WHO CARES ... DOWNIEVILLE !!!

Who can beat the trails and then a beer at St. Charles place bar with a bunch of 50 year old women with their t1ts on the floor.... CAN'T BEAT IT WITH A STICK !!!

Obi
    mtbr member

Wink I still think this is an April Fools Joke, but...

..on that note, Tahoe's going too upscale anyhow. Read my bumper sticker, it says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Private Property

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    North* is all national forest.
    Totally wrong. Northstar is 100% private property.

KBA
    Seasonal Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    I'm mad. Even if Northstar isn't the greatest, its the loss of one NOrcal DH spot.

I've been shredding G-bak (thats what the hardcore folk call it) all winter this year. Miller filmed me jibbing it up on the sled hill.

Warren got broke there though, the tow rope touched him in a bad way.

Ya didn't happen to catch that on film did ya? I see dollar signs everywhere. . .

Yeah I know, just like N*. . .give it a rest.

BTW, it's not a total loss. The scrambling I'm hearing tells me that it's a temporary thing. The head of Marketing is going to the mat to see if some reciprical stuff can be setup with other resorts. The more you guys bark, the more likely you are to get it back soon. Me, I'm going TC-Watson Lake - Western States. I like to pedal and don't like to pay (go figger).
    Crap. . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    To add to this, I was told by a liftie at Kirkwood, yesterday, that their bike park would also be closed this summer. For the same reason: Construction. In Kirkwood's case, they're putting in a restaurant (at the top of 2) and a chondola (a detachable lift with both gondola cars and chairs on it at the same time).

I wouldn't plan on the Mammoth bike park opening anytime soon either. 20+ feet of snow base is going to take a while to melt. This is more snow than they had at this time last year. Mammoth's current ski season has already been extended through the 4th of July. They made the 4th last year for skiing, and were operating the lower bike(main lodge to town) park at the same time - with some detours around snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt
    To add to this, I was told by a liftie at Kirkwood, yesterday, that their bike park would also be closed this summer. For the same reason: Construction. In Kirkwood's case, they're putting in a restaurant (at the top of 2) and a chondola (a detachable lift with both gondola cars and chairs on it at the same time).
    Yeah, Mammoth definitely beats Northstar, but I don't think anyone cares about Kirkwood. Do they have anything besides fireroads to ride down? I've never seen any pics or anything. If they had more that would be great though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2