Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NorCal ticks

NedwannaB

NorCal ticks

They sure grow 'em big around here. Found this one under the pups collar this morning. Gave her a bath on Sunday too and didn't have any signs. Heading to Petsmart now for some supplements.

Anyone else running into them more frequent while out and about?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal ticks-tick-alert.jpg  

Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's looking like a banner year. I got one Sunday and didn't find it until Monday night. I went to ER to get it out because it was in so deep and the doctor knew way less about dealing with them than I do. I'm on my second round of antibiotics for this in two years, cause Lyme desease is no fun.

All in all, it's way easier to get them off the dogs when they've been on long enough to look like the one in the picture, but can't say I could wait thatlong for one on me own self.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    They sure grow 'em big around here.
    That guy is so big because it has been chewing on your dog for a bit and is gorged with blood. I have noticed that they are getting pretty thick out there though (in populations).

NedwannaB
    Yah think? Yeah I'm aware.

My kid had fun but got grosed out, as I, when I let her smash it in the baggie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yah think? Yeah I'm aware.

imagine finding that guy on your marbles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah I pulled three off my dog yesterday after a real short walk on the path in our neighborhood. They are everywhere this year. Luckily I have not found any on me yet from riding, but I think I might have just junixed myself...

NedwannaB

Not sure....

Quote Originally Posted by markj2k4 View Post

imagine finding that guy on your marbles.
    ....could be a better marble. Ooohh now that's gross.....

Inspector Gadget
    Ticks, poison oak and rattle snakes... As a surveyor I encounter them all way too often From what I've seen already it's going be rough summer for me between the early blooming po and tall grass for ticks to hide in. Anybody hiring? Lmao

The nymphs (really fn tiny ticks) are the ones to look out for and give you the best chance of getting lyme. If one beds in and you pull it out, keep it alive in something so it can be tested if you start showing symptoms.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

~~~
    I'm guessing this thread will lead to Fc's next article?

Sometimes I'm glad I'm slow, because the lead riders pick up most of the ticks.

Doesn't always work, as this guy tried to come along for the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal ticks-img_9741.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    GREAT, now I am sitting here in the office (obviously skirting actually getting work done) feeling like I got creepy crawlies and PO all over me

NedwannaB
    Really. Tell me about it. I have my youngest home with me sick and we sent pic to her sisters who are now freaking and threatning not to come home after school. One can hope right.

Here ticky-ticky!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have puller quite a few off me already this year, they do seem to be out more than the norm.

mtbr member
    Ugh, I have poison oak right now and I pulled a tick off me a few weeks ago after it bit. First time in years I've had one actually lock in. My wife found it while at dinner with friends in city. She pulled it off at the table......kinda awkward. It hurt quite a bit for a couple of days after and there is still a small bump where we pulled it out. It appears to have healed and no rash so though, so I think I'm going to survive.

To answer original question: banner year for both ticks and PO and there hasn't been a really warm day in months. Wednesday whining done.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Anybody hiring? Lmao
    We're looking for a surveyor in Houston, wanna relocate . Kind of joking as I see you're in Lake County. I grew up in Ukiah and not too sure you could handle the culture shock, but if........ shoot me a pm.

08StumpyPro
    I found 6-7 of them on me while riding Ft Ord 2 weeks ago. Just yesterday I found one in my shower hanging out on the wall. Not sure if this one ever bit me. I was riding the Pleasanton Ridge 24hrs earlier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    They sure grow 'em big around here. Found this one under the pups collar this morning. Gave her a bath on Sunday too and didn't have any signs. Heading to Petsmart now for some supplements.

Anyone else running into them more frequent while out and about?
    That guy kinda resembles CHUM when he hasn't been riding much...

Or was it, he resembles the bugs CHUM picks up because he crashes too much after not riding for awhile?

In either case, when I ride with him, I let CHUM go first to crash into things and pick up the ticks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 08StumpyPro View Post
    I found 6-7 of them on me while riding Ft Ord 2 weeks ago. Just yesterday I found one in my shower hanging out on the wall. Not sure if this one ever bit me. I was riding the Pleasanton Ridge 24hrs earlier.
    dang i ride there all the time...i have never been bit, but have not been riding more than a year!.whats the best way to prevent getting them?

mtbr member
    The OP's pic shows the tick filled with food. It takes a few days to get that big. It is gross. I rarely walk my dog in tick territory just because of those things.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    whats the best way to prevent getting them?
    Stay home. Then again if you have a cat they drag em inside for you. Seriously though, stay out of tall grass and don't rub against trees or brush. Bright and light colored clothes really help for spotting them on yourself. There are days at work I stop and do a tick check like once an hour. Evil evil things!
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Coe is gnarly right now! I have pulled off at least 5 and gotten 2 bites in the last few weeks.

Cover up as much skin as you can and have someone do a full body check if you are riding Coe! For some reason they all seem to be on the HQ side.

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    .whats the best way to prevent getting them?
    Ride when the sun is high and hot and the grass is dry. Ticks like moist weather.

:-D
    picked off 15+ , mostly babies, last spring when hiking Cullen trail. Now I use off... even on my shoes!

mtbr member
    Our Vet just told us that we dont need to vaccinate our dogs for Lyme as it never happens in NorCal, we live in the LG foothills with lots of ticks, Ive yet to find one on me--No idea if this is accurate--Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    r Lyme as it never happens in NorCal,
    Not true, rare, but it happens, to me in fact, got it from a tick in Coe prolly around 10 years ago, got the classic bulls-eye rash and went on a two week regimen of antibiotics, key is to treat as early as possible.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    Ride when the sun is high and hot and the grass is dry. Ticks like moist weather.
    That's a bad time for me to ride...lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast