Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 62 of 62

Thread: NorCal ticks

  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KevXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    677
    I've walked my dogs in the grassy areas daily for 12 years. One thing I have noticed is ticks are more abundant after a rain storm. A couple days of rain/showers, followed by sunshine... it must trigger hatching the tick eggs.

    Preventik tick collars are the only thing that have worked for my dogs. We use them and stay out of tall grass a few days after a rain storm.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    922
    does off and stuff work for us?

  3. #53
    GASing
    Reputation: funkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    439
    I got my first CA tick 3 weeks ago at Tamarancho. I didn't see anyone about it because I removed it within an hour and haven't developed any symptoms. I hear most cases of Lyme's come from the tiny nymph or dear ticks, and most people who get Lyme's never noticed the tick. Not to common in this area, but scary stuff. repellant might not be a bad idea - not sure which is worse, the risk of Lyme's, or exposing myself & family to deet on a regular basis.

  4. #54
    Save Jesus
    Reputation: beanbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,706
    I have read varying reports on whether DEET actually works on ticks. They seem to be pretty durable buggers and will crawl over stuff regardless. I had clothes with permethrin on it (the type that you are supposed to spray onto clothes and the same stuff in Raid). I put a tick on it on purpose, and it didn't seem to affect it too much. On the other hand, ants and flying bugs that land on that will die within 2 minutes or so.

    The best protection I have found is to wear leggings and a tight long sleeve shirt to make sure you are sealed all the way around.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Uncle Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    532
    Got two off me today at Hogan in the foothills. They are all over this year!.

  6. #56
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,288
    Quick question to those who know more than me, AKA everyone else. I pulled a real tiny one off of me yesterday. Looked like it could barely fit on the tip of a pen. I thought it was a fleck of dirt at first until I couldn't scrape it off my body. I stopped riding about 3 PM, and pulled it off about 8 PM, so I should be fine. Couldn't have been on longer than 12 hours. I pulled it out with my fingers too, so it wasn't in deep. It died within a couple hours when I had it trapped on the counter. I think it got stuck in my waistband so it was like it had just started burrowing when I was getting ready to shower. I can't even tell where it was, but I know the general area to keep an eye out for a red bump.

    Basically, do I have anything to worry about? I'm guessing no.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  7. #57
    Blargen
    Reputation: PACS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    136
    No.

    Only a small portion of the ticks in the bay area test positive for the bacteria that causes lyme disease (something like 5% or less, i believe). Regardless, the tick really needs to be on you for 36-48 hours to become sufficiently engorged to begin to reflux bacteria from its stomach into your blood stream (pretty freakin gross right). At 5-12 hours max you are absolutely fine.

    If you get a rash that looks like a bulls eye (red rash which begins clearing from the center, you should got get checked out. Otherwise, don't lose any sleep over it.

  8. #58
    most memberable
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    434
    Must be a problem with trail maintenance "up there"....I live in SoCal and in the 20 years I have been riding, hiking, trail running down here, I have only encountered ticks twice on me. Both times it was on trails that were in wilderness areas and with trail head signs stating some parts of the trail system are not maintained due to low useage...buyer beware and all that! That is pretty good for 20 odd years. We have PO down here, but probably not in the concentrations you guys have up there. I have caught it twice down here. When I used to live in San Jose back in the 60s/70s, I'd catch PO 3-4 times a year on average....not fun.

  9. #59
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,302
    Ft. Ord usually has a bunch, but I didn't get any from there this year.. but I found two from Wilder this year. Lower Zane Grey has been really bad with the high grasses. One tried to bite me through my sock, but it didn't work.

    They definitely seem to be more active this year, but that pic at Coe makes me not want to ride there.. Ugh.

    For those in the know, ticks have an active season right? Usually the spring? Also, I know there's a Lyme disease vaccine for dogs--is there one for people?

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13
    My mom popped one on my dog trying to get it out after going to wilder ranch. How likely is lyme disease if this happens?

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    266
    I posted earler on this forum about my son getting a tick at Salmon Falls. He got Lyme and never showed the bullseye rash. He responded well to antibiotics and is good as new after a couple painfull weeks. A Month later he was back on the bike. We are using Jungle Juice now, riding of hiking. Got it at REI it's expensive for a repellant but it is 98% DEET and it works. My youngest son picked 2 off himself next week while Dustin recovered and that was it we got the Jungle juice. No more ticks. READ the directions you don't want to get this stuff in your eyes!

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,356
    Quote Originally Posted by aldave View Post
    My mom popped one on my dog trying to get it out after going to wilder ranch. How likely is lyme disease if this happens?
    Hopefully your dog is vaccinated for Lyme. It is optional at the vet. It isn't very common around here, but is a possibility. More likely if the tick is in for more than 24 hours.

    All these ticks are making me wonder if I should put Frontline on and maybe get the Lyme vaccination.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •