Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NorCal ticks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Our Vet just told us that we dont need to vaccinate our dogs for Lyme as it never happens in NorCal, we live in the LG foothills with lots of ticks, Ive yet to find one on me--No idea if this is accurate--Thoughts?
    Got a tick in me from QS/LG area last year and the Doc sent it off to get "tested'. It came back positive. I got to start antibiotics right before a trip to Mexico. You are supposed to stay out of the sun while taking the antibiotic. It was awesome.

So yes, it is possible.

NedwannaB

Agree with TBC

Our Vet just told us that we dont need to vaccinate our dogs for Lyme as it never happens in NorCal, we live in the LG foothills with lots of ticks, Ive yet to find one on me--No idea if this is accurate--Thoughts?
    Though I'd say it's "not" not so rare. Bro in law got it from working around livestock (sheep shearer). It's not a good thing to have. I think he opted for non-antibiodic way of curing and did a life changing regimine to health and diet, fasting/cleansing/lottsa garlic . Not saying that's "the" way just what he's been doing for the last few years since contracting the disease.

I didn't think you ever got rid of it in your system?? Maybe TBC can elaborate??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I didn't think you ever got rid of it in your system?? Maybe TBC can elaborate??
    If treated right away it is curable and gone from your system from what I understand if left untreated for a long time (You might not even know you have it before it's to late) then it can become chronic and difficult to deal with. Been awhile since I've researched it so my memory may not be 100% correct.

I also understand that most of the time if the tick is removed properly within 24 hours the likely hood of transmission is very low.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Your vet needs to go back to vet school.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Got bit by a little guy on my ride on Tuesday night in Granite Bay. Something was hurting/aching on my left inner ankle and I saw him. Stopped and got him out before he dug in very far. There's hardly any tissue on my leg there, just skin then vein and bone. And he was diggin' for the vein! The spot is still sore with just a little red bump where the bite was. Think there's any chance on Lyme? Just keep an eye on it?
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Your vet needs to go back to vet school.
    Yeah he was kind of DR anti-vaccine--Ive been vacinating my dogs for Lyme forever, hes the first vet that said I didn't need to and that it didn't work well--weird. We use frontline for the dogs--but even with that the occassionally auger in.

mtbr member
    My wife was diagnosed two years ago and has been fighting Lyme ever since.
    By the number of patients the local Lyme docotrs have It doesnt seem that uncommon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post
    Got bit by a little guy on my ride on Tuesday night in Granite Bay. Something was hurting/aching on my left inner ankle and I saw him. Stopped and got him out before he dug in very far. There's hardly any tissue on my leg there, just skin then vein and bone. And he was diggin' for the vein! The spot is still sore with just a little red bump where the bite was. Think there's any chance on Lyme? Just keep an eye on it?
    PM Finch Platte to suck out the nasty stuff and you should be good

I typically pull around a dozen out a year then just keep an eye the area for a couple weeks. I'm no Doc so take my advice with a grain of salt, but definitely contact Mr. Platte
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    pulled on off our dogs from Glen Ellen trail and another off my shaft from a vineyard pond I snuck in to go bassin'...karma?

NedwannaB

Curious

Quote Originally Posted by c-wal View Post
    My wife was diagnosed two years ago and has been fighting Lyme ever since.
    By the number of patients the local Lyme docotrs have It doesnt seem that uncommon.
    How long was tick in and how long did symptoms take to show up?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    We don't know how long the tick was in. It was found in her belly button...
    I think it was 2 or 3 years before she started seeing symptoms; seemed like stress brought them out.
    At the time she was planning our wedding, working full time and then some, finishing up her masters degree/teaching credential, and still riding a horse four days a week.
    After diagnosis she was on a bunch of orals before getting a PIC line and going the IV route.

middle ring single track

Tick sex?

So I needed to re-install a sign for this weekend's Volunteers for Outdoor California on the Jim Donnelly Trail at Coe; I had literally only gone one step up the trail and was into ticks---I first noticed one on the sign after I had knelt down to pick it up.
    :Photobucket

Checking my person I found about a half-dozen of these little buggers already crawling around. I figured this would be a good time to try to photograph the ticks in their "ambush" position; no problem---every other clump of grass had ticks on it:
    Photobucket

The weather must have been perfect for the ticks in this location; these were concentrated in a mostly shady area for about 15' along the trail:
    Photobucket

The next 100 yards up the trail I only saw a couple of ticks. Returning back down Hunting Hollow Road I found some out in the sunshine; quite often the ticks seem to be stacked up in clumps---is this when they are having sex!?!?:
    Photobucket
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Nov 2009
    Those are some great, yet horrifying, pictures. Thanks. I guess :P

brownpow! (?)
    Wow. Never going to Coe now....
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

Inspector Gadget
    Evil evil little f'n bastards!!! Wife found one on our daughter last night, didn't bite her... but pulled it off and flushed it down the toilet. Guess what I found crawling on the toilet seat this morning!
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    uggh makes me not want to ride!!!

mtbr member
    Ticks and PO. There is nothing worse...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    dos repellent work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank god I haven't gotten any, no medical insurance, but I have been using a repellent spray with 25% DEET and so far nothing and I try to get out and ride 3-6 days a week (Granite bay and Lake natoma)

mtb'er
    Great pix pliebenberg. Yuck! I flicked at least 40 buggers off me today in a place near my house that I've never ridden before. I mostly picked them up on a h-a-b section, and after flicking 20 off me, I was truly looking for them on the tall grasses, but never saw any (like your photos show). 4 hours later, I still feel like they are crawling all over me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal ticks-img_0154.jpg  

I know of two NorCal cases where it effed both women up bad for years. Rare, but it happens.Both two beautiful women I have known whose lives have been altered dramatically.

Dropshot Champ!
    caught 2 crawling on me at salmon falls, and found one had bit earlier this week. Then brushed a few off in auburn yesterday, but came home to this one that had bit. No red rings yet, scary **** tho.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Though I'd say it's "not" not so rare. Bro in law got it from working around livestock (sheep shearer). It's not a good thing to have. I think he opted for non-antibiodic way of curing and did a life changing regimine to health and diet, fasting/cleansing/lottsa garlic . Not saying that's "the" way just what he's been doing for the last few years since contracting the disease.
    oh dear God why? Was he raised in the 16th century? Fasting doesn't kill bacterial infections, neither does garlic.

mtbr member
    They have been nuts on Diablo the last few weeks. I have been covered the last few weeks and had two stuck in me last wee. I took the antibiotic, and so far no Lyme symptoms.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    They have been nuts on Diablo the last few weeks. I have been covered the last few weeks and had two stuck in me last wee.
    On your nuts and wee? Damn bro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast