mtbr member

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack

Hello my Norcal Tacoma owner friends.

I have the first batch of RTT bed racks available for sale. Currently they are not powder coated. The design is a bit different from other bed racks currently out there. It's designed for a mountain biker, by a mountain biker.

modular layout, easy to store when not in use
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9449.jpg

High enough for the bikes, and low enough to keep the drag down while travelling with your RTT mounted. Shuttle runs with the RTT isn't and issue.
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9407.jpg

With the RTT mounted and unfolded, the bike is pretty much locked in the bed of the truck, not tied to a tree.
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9454.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9457.jpg

the whole rack only weighs 90lbs. The hardware are stainless steel, button allen head bolts, 8 t-nuts for the bed rails and stainless washers and locking nuts.

In the near future, panels will be available for different side mounted accessories. The first one will be for a Rotopax (fuel, water, and tool storage containers) and a blank panel that can be drilled for what ever you need to have mounted.
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-rotopax2.jpg

It can be used for both the 5ft and 6ft beds. We've tested this rack on a 6ft bed with (5) 29er bikes with the tent mounted. I haven't tried a 5ft bed yet to see what the limits would be.

They will be priced at $750 not coated and $850 powder coated. If you're interested, send me a message. Thank You.
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9448.jpg

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Very cool! It's hard to find a quality rack that will work for RTT and mountain bikes without the tent being way over the roofline.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    If you raised that thing an inch or 2, you cold cary 24/32 ft ladder or lumber, diagonally resting on front bar and top of tailgate. It would rest on front cross bar, go UNDER rear cross bar to rest on tailgate. As a professional house painter, I carry ladders on my Dodge Ram truck as described all the time. Im too lazy to install my rear ladder rack, and have found that the tailgate works well if stuff is tied down well.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    If you raised that thing an inch or 2, you cold cary 24/32 ft ladder or lumber, diagonally resting on front bar and top of tailgate. It would rest on front cross bar, go UNDER rear cross bar to rest on tailgate. As a professional house painter, I carry ladders on my Dodge Ram truck as described all the time. Im too lazy to install my rear ladder rack, and have found that the tailgate works well if stuff is tied down well.
    Good idea. Just above cab level would make it work for that purpose. Great rack by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    An $800 rack to mount my $2500 tent to my $45000 truck! Sick!

Only kidding...kinda.

.02: At this price point, you need to practice up on the welding, and grind and DA the corners.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post

Only kidding...kinda.

.02: At this price point, you need to practice up on the welding, and grind and DA the corners.
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-aa5bd437-3169-4713-8e5c-6d3fe6f79045.jpg

mtbr member
    Those are welds that dont need no grinding, just weave em alone

Contains no juice.
    A $2500 tent?!? Wtf.
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if youre on a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    A $2500 tent?!? Wtf.

But just think of how well your rig will handle them corners with 400lbs on the roof!

Formerly dvo

Only kidding...kinda.

What an overly critical asshole. See the product and meet the man behind them before you shit on him.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Maybe I should've offered a bag of bolts and uni-strut then jacked the price.
    Last edited by RANDELS; 01-01-2018 at 10:49 PM.

ask
    user
    Looks sweet! I like how it is lower than the cab but still accommodates bikes over the tailgate. But at this price point.... haha. Kidding looks legit to me.
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    5ft bed
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9461.jpg
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9462.jpg
    NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9463.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDELS View Post
    5ft bed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9461.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	1175133
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Fwiw that is a very nice rack and at a extremely reasonable price point! You can tell engineering and thought had gone into it. After seeing in person I have to say, pictures dont do it justice. If I had a taco, Id be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    Can anyone explain to me the appeal of overpriced three season tents that have to be used on a vehicle, which constrains you to roads and designated campsites?

Looks like a well thought out design, I just don't understand the product it's used with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Randels, are your racks only available for Tacoma's? Looks very well done.I have a Silverado and think something like this would work for me.
    Just to be clear, I also manufacture truck racks, but mine is a tailgate rack that replaces the tailgate pad and has lockable, secure mounting options for bikes, boards, ladders, kayaks, etc.
    www.exodux.com
    EXODUX Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Can anyone explain to me the appeal of overpriced three season tents that have to be used on a vehicle, which constrains you to roads and designated campsites?

Looks like a well thought out design, I just don't understand the product it's used with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Pros
    • Not having to sleep on the ground (2.5"-4" memory foam is nice)
    • Not having to find a spot for the tent
    • Not having to worry about water getting in the tent
    • Can pitch the tent on the side of the road or parking lot (great for quick naps or sleeping at events without campsites
    • Some people feel more secure from animals (questionable)
    • Bedding stays in the tent when folded up. Takes up less room in the bed/cab.
    • Setup and take down is generally quicker and cleaner (no dusty/muddy hands from rolling up a ground tent.
    • Very durable and insulated options
    • Good resale value
    • May help prevent/deter bike theft if bikes hang over tailgate
    • Gets a lot of positive attention

Cons
    • Expensive compared to cheap ground tents
    • Less room than a typical "family" tent
    • Stuck to vehicle so limited to drive up camping
    • Subject to more wind (could be a Pro if you need ventilation due to heat)
    • May decrease fuel economy although I don't notice an appreciable effect
    • Maybe negatively affect vehicle handling (varies by vehicle) but may improve ride quality in trucks
    • Ingress/Egress worse than a ground tent
    • Have to pack up the tent when you need the vehicle for shuttling or store runs (about 2-5min)
    • Larger and/or old dogs maybe not be able to sleep in the tent with

Just a quick list. It's not for everyone. It's just a different way of doing things.

I love mine but Jeni has mixed feelings. We may go with a Softopper under a rack with the RTT on top depending on our trips and if we have the kid with us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-519201775055.jpg  

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-43020178634.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Randels, are your racks only available for Tacoma's? Looks very well done.I have a Silverado and think something like this would work for me.
    Just to be clear, I also manufacture truck racks, but mine is a tailgate rack that replaces the tailgate pad and has lockable, secure mounting options for bikes, boards, ladders, kayaks, etc.
    www.exodux.com
    Only for now. It would just be a matter of having a Silverado in front of me to fit the rack. Not much to change for it to fit other makes, cross bars and base plate, that's it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Show the rack on Tacomaworld!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    What an overly critical asshole. See the product and meet the man behind them before you shit on him.
    And to you, an overly presumptuous, hair line triggered snowflake (again, only kidding.......kinda). Cheese and rice there are some sensitive folk around these parts.... Listen...

I shat on nobody, Sally.

I offered an (experts) opinion; disclaimer included.
    I did see the product, thru the pics posted, ya dummy.
    I dont need to meet the manufacturer of a product to judge its worthiness, ya dummy; get over your obviously biased opinion. How much stock you own at Tepui, anyways? lol

Sorry (not sorry) for not giving my credentials, but Im *literally* an expert on the subject of metal mfg (not trying to get all PVD on ya, I swear, but I know a thing or one about a thing or two on the subject)

Spending $3k+ on a phucking tent set up is god damm ludicrous. At least as ludicrous as spending $5k + on a bike (Ive got 3 carbon bikes in my garage; I should know). That doesnt make it not a worth while purchase to the buyer, nor an unjust price by the seller; but those are two very different things. At NO point did I even insinuate that the price was unjust. Check yo' self...

If I was an 'asshole,' (or at least, a bigger one) I woulda said 'those welds look like bird shit and theres no way a few feet of box tube and a couple bent pieces of sheetmetal equate to $750...' (which, in all honesty, is a statement I could argue to be very true, btw)

But I didnt do that, cuz thats not me, nor the case I was trying/care to make... In my experience, '.02' on the interwebs roughly equates to 'take this for what its worth.; or heres some free feedback; etc'... sooo, add some sodium to your diet....

Maybe I should've offered a bag of bolts and uni-strut then jacked the price.
    What I did suggest was that, given the high end price, and the quality design, that to promote/sell a product with what are, in all honesty, some fugly welds, is something to at least consider working on...

More than 2, less than 5. Thats the amount of minutes Id quote it would take, per assembly, to grind and finish those corners in a semi-professional manner. Thats nothing given the price....

Only for now. It would just be a matter of having a Silverado in front of me to fit the rack. Not much to change for it to fit other makes, cross bars and base plate, that's it.
    Youre welcome to use my '04 if youre in the Sacramento area and can provide help to take off the camper shell; and maybe a 12'er of Fresh Squeezed

Ill even throw in welding/grinding lessons for free (assuming the beer is there)

(no joke^)

mtbr member
    And to you, an overly presumptuous, hair line triggered snowflake (again, only kidding.......kinda). Cheese and rice there are some sensitive folk around these parts.... Listen...

I shat on nobody, Sally.

I offered an (experts) opinion; disclaimer included.
    I did see the product, thru the pics posted, ya dummy.
    I dont need to meet the manufacturer of a product to judge its worthiness, ya dummy; get over your obviously biased opinion. How much stock you own at Tepui, anyways? lol

Sorry (not sorry) for not giving my credentials, but Im *literally* an expert on the subject of metal mfg (not trying to get all PVD on ya, I swear, but I know a thing or one about a thing or two on the subject)

Spending $3k+ on a phucking tent set up is god damm ludicrous. At least as ludicrous as spending $5k + on a bike (Ive got 3 carbon bikes in my garage; I should know). That doesnt make it not a worth while purchase to the buyer, nor an unjust price by the seller; but those are two very different things. At NO point did I even insinuate that the price was unjust. Check yo' self...

If I was an 'asshole,' (or at least, a bigger one) I woulda said 'those welds look like bird shit and theres no way a few feet of box tube and a couple bent pieces of sheetmetal equate to $750...' (which, in all honesty, is a statement I could argue to be very true, btw)

But I didnt do that, cuz thats not me, nor the case I was trying/care to make... In my experience, '.02' on the interwebs roughly equates to 'take this for what its worth.; or heres some free feedback; etc'... sooo, add some sodium to your diet....

What I did suggest was that, given the high end price, and the quality design, that to promote/sell a product with what are, in all honesty, some fugly welds, is something to at least consider working on...

More than 2, less than 5. Thats the amount of minutes Id quote it would take, per assembly, to grind and finish those corners in a semi-professional manner. Thats nothing given the price....

Youre welcome to use my '04 if youre in the Sacramento area and can provide help to take off the camper shell; and maybe a 12'er of Fresh Squeezed

Ill even throw in welding/grinding lessons for free (assuming the beer is there)

(no joke^)

Cool, you don't like the RTT thing. Got it.

Thanks but, I don't need any lessons on grinding at welding.

As for being over critical, you are. You're looking at the pics of the test fitting, no sanding was done, and some oxide is still on the welds. They do need a wire wheel and sanding time, that will be done before coating and handing off.
    Everyone has a right to their opinion, not matter how many .02 you hand out, over and over and over. The nice part about the forums, is that, a lot of opinions, no matter the credibility.

fc
    head minion Administrator

Thanks but, I don't need any lessons on grinding at welding.

As for being over critical, you are. You're looking at the pics of the test fitting, no sanding was done, and some oxide is still on the welds. They do need a wire wheel and sanding time, that will be done before coating and handing off.
    Everyone has a right to their opinion, not matter how many .02 you hand out, over and over and over. The nice part about the forums, is that, a lot of opinions, no matter the credibility.
    Nice reply Randy. #respect.

Some trolls don't deserve one. But insulting someone's initiative is kind of a low blow.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This looks like a perfect Idaho backcountry camping/riding/fishing setup. Hmmmm....

In case I have to use my truck bed to haul gravel, how long do you estimate the removal to be (excluding a tent)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    This looks like a perfect Idaho backcountry camping/riding/fishing setup. Hmmmm....

In case I have to use my truck bed to haul gravel, how long do you estimate the removal to be (excluding a tent)?
    Minutes. The sole reason I've built it this way. For the easement of removal and storage when not in use.

mtbr member
    Minutes. The sole reason I've built it this way. For the easement of removal and storage when not in use.
    Now if you want to build a roof rack w/ ladder for a 5th gen 4Runner youd have another customer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa5bd437-3169-4713-8e5c-6d3fe6f79045.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1175094
    Are these your welds? These are beautiful socket welds.

fc

Less than 5 minutes. 8 bolts for the rack anchors, 8 bolts for the crossbars if one wants to collapse it. There's also the option of just removing the crossbars for tall items.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nice product, RAND.... I'd have one if I had a Taco. I'd go for a clear powder coat for the raw look.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    Nice product, RAND.... I'd have one if I had a Taco. I'd go for a clear powder coat for the raw look.
    That is what I was thinking too... wirewheel it to clean it up a bit then clear it. Looks sweet on the silver Taco as-is.
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    Cool! One more question, any drilling into the bed required? I can't really see based on the pics. BTW- I have a 2001 Tacoma Doublecab.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Nice reply Randy. #respect.

Some trolls don't deserve one. But insulting someone's initiative is kind of a low blow.
    Oh come on Fc, I get Randy's your bro and all but lets have some perspective here. He's posting a business in the NorCal forums (I bet you wouldn't let me do that) and offered up an item for sale and a fairly premium price. At no point in his original post did he mention that the pictures shown were of a prototype, his very first line was "I have the first batch of RTT bed racks available for sale." which would make me think they're ready for delivery. I too saw the welds and thought they looked like they could use to be cleaned up.

Rynaxj offered some criticism and Randy shot back an sarcastic reply which he's now edited out. Here's the thing.. Ryanxj wasn't wrong.. it is silly that we put 3k tents onto our 40k trucks to drive to the woods to ride our 5-10k carbon bikes. That's arguably a silly thing to do when we could use $200 tent in a $10k used pickup with a $2k aluminum bike, but that doesn't mean there isn't value in those products to people who want to live their lives like that.

I have probably $3k worth of homebrewing equipment in my garage. When you think about it that's pretty silly when I could go to the bottle shop and drink all the high quality craft beer I want for $9-14 a six pack.

When you throw a product out there that you've put yourself behind, it's hard to take criticism without taking it personally, but you won't have a fun time running a business if you can't do so.

Is Randy's rack worth $850? That's up to the market to decide. I'm still considering one if I go the RTT route, but lets not fool ourselves that it is a premium price and there are more reasonable priced alternatives out there and when you throw out a top priced product, people will find and pick apart any flaws wether real or perceived.

#respect goes both ways mate.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Oh come on Fc, I get Randy's your bro and all but lets have some perspective here. He's posting a business in the NorCal forums (I bet you wouldn't let me do that) and offered up an item for sale and a fairly premium price. At no point in his original post did he mention that the pictures shown were of a prototype, his very first line was "I have the first batch of RTT bed racks available for sale." which would make me think they're ready for delivery. I too saw the welds and thought they looked like they could use to be cleaned up.

Rynaxj offered some criticism and Randy shot back an sarcastic reply which he's now edited out. Here's the thing.. Ryanxj wasn't wrong.. it is silly that we put 3k tents onto our 40k trucks to drive to the woods to ride our 5-10k carbon bikes. That's arguably a silly thing to do when we could use $200 tent in a $10k used pickup with a $2k aluminum bike, but that doesn't mean there isn't value in those products to people who want to live their lives like that.

I have probably $3k worth of homebrewing equipment in my garage. When you think about it that's pretty silly when I could go to the bottle shop and drink all the high quality craft beer I want for $9-14 a six pack.

When you throw a product out there that you've put yourself behind, it's hard to take criticism without taking it personally, but you won't have a fun time running a business if you can't do so.

Is Randy's rack worth $850? That's up to the market to decide. I'm still considering one if I go the RTT route, but lets not fool ourselves that it is a premium price and there are more reasonable priced alternatives out there and when you throw out a top priced product, people will find and pick apart any flaws wether real or perceived.

Point taken. Randy's a good guy with a full time job and mouths to feed. He's making this on the side and posting it here is a decent way to guage if there's interest on it.

Feedback comes both ways of course. But to straight up mock and belittle someone's work and effort with little understanding of the products in that arena is not the best.

There's better ways to give input IMHO.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Constructive criticism is one thing but, just shooting from the hip without knowing what is being said is another, just plain wrong. I'm not gunna sit here and explain welding, not gunna explain opinions, here's my rack, you like great, you don't, fine.

I except that the racks could've been cleaned up. The coating process will address that. But, I'm not going to except that my welds are week due to the why they look in the picture. You can't even see them clearly. #1 rule is making sure the welds are safe, strong, and penetrated correctly. The way they look is second and possibly last. I've seen welds look great but, look close and they are sitting on top of the material, not bonded or penetrated, smack it with a hammer, won't hold at all. I've met people that speak about how good they are, how much their fab abilities are, and the work doesn't match. Look at all other products out there, welds are not perfect, they hold and are safe.

I removed my comment because I didn't want to get caught up in the normal forum bashing that goes on. This is why I don't spend too much time in forums.
    I have years of building products and people to back up my skill and ability even outside the MTB community. I don't need a "troll" to bash me because that's what they do. Sure, everyone has their opinion. fine, I'm cool with that. I'm not gunna bash on you because your brewing setup doesn't look up to my standard, without tasting the beer. If you got the skill, even with a pot and a burner, then you got the skill, more power to ya. That's my outlook. More people should do what they love and not get hated on by haters. Wearing pro gear doesn't make the rider, we all know that.
    If you don't like the whole RTT thing, fine, you like the rack fine, move on. I'm still gunna do what I do, and build quality products for the people that ask me to build.

mtbr member
    Cool! One more question, any drilling into the bed required? I can't really see based on the pics. BTW- I have a 2001 Tacoma Doublecab.
    no hole drilling at all. The 2001 Tacoma though has a small bed rail, this will be too big. I'll have to build a smaller scaled version for the older Tacomas.

Well this has certainly gone well.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    RTT interest is a niche market. Narrowed down to fit only Tacoma's and the interest is even smaller. I would do what another poster recommends and hit up Tacomaworld if you really want to sell these.

Best of luck

mtbr member
    no hole drilling at all. The 2001 Tacoma though has a small bed rail, this will be too big. I'll have to build a smaller scaled version for the older Tacomas.
    Thanks! Great product. My Taco may have to take a Cali road trip this year (I keep my truck in Idaho).

mtbr member

Man, tough crowd...

I like your rack, I think it looks stout, functional, and well thought out. I never said or insinuated anything to the contrary. And I think the RTT thing is a bitchin option, imo. Granted, I dont think its for me, but thats only an assumption as Ive never used one.

You didnt say it was a proto, you posted pics and said they were for sale; thats your bad if thats the case.

fc
    Man, tough crowd...

I like your rack, I think it looks stout, functional, and well thought out. I never said or insinuated anything to the contrary. And I think the RTT thing is a bitchin option, imo. Granted, I dont think its for me, but thats only an assumption as Ive never used one.

You didnt say it was a proto, you posted pics and said they were for sale; thats your bad if thats the case.
    Right on, all good. Randy is a good friend of many of us and he's the most humble and talented guy we know. You came at his effort a little strong but point taken, ride on.
    IPA will save America

As suggested Randels should throw these on www.tacomaworld.com He will sell a ton off there.

fc
    Here's some info on my tent and the rack Randy built for me. Tent is $1200 3-man with a mattress and pillows/sleeping bags that stay on the truck all season long. Pop-up and tear down now takes about 5 minutes.

The rack has the perfect height so I can fit 5 bikes on the tailgate. Have good visibility too while the tent is as low as possible. Removable crossbars means it can still haul a Piano in 2 minutes.

I'm not a camper but I went out on it many times this year. Kids love it too since it's a treehouse. Wife loves the double mattress inside.

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-b0a6009f-2f64-4fdf-8249-694b2e00e76b-2428-00000486fc300102.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_1474.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_6478.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_6480.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_8287.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_9857.jpg

Name:  P3080001.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  17.5 KB

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb080033.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack

My rack is a little different style with hand-bent tubes.

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb110019.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_4877.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb050045.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb070008.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb050019.jpg

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-pb080027.jpg
    Last edited by fc; 01-03-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Here's some info on my tent and the rack Randy built for me. Tent is $1200 3-man with a mattress and pillows/sleeping bags that stay on the truck all season long. Pop-up and tear down now takes about 5 minutes.

The rack has the perfect height so I can fit 5 bikes on the tailgate. Have good visibility too while the tent is as low as possible. Removable crossbars means it can still haul a Piano in 2 minutes.

I'm not a camper but I went out on it many times this year. Kids love it too since it's a treehouse. Wife loves the double mattress inside.
    Do you wish you had gotten a different Tepui? What's your favorite thing about the one you got? What's your least favorite thing about it?

In your pictures it looks like the windows and entrance are perma open. Is that the case, or does it have a mesh screen window and a nylon fly like a normal tent? Have you used it in the rain?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    As suggested Randels should throw these on www.tacomaworld.com He will sell a ton off there.
    For sure bud. Overlander forums too. Waiting for him to get one powdercoated
    Last edited by fc; 01-04-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Oh come on Fc, I get Randy's your bro and all but lets have some perspective here. He's posting a business in the NorCal forums (I bet you wouldn't let me do that) and offered up an item for sale and a fairly premium price.
    You make bro sound like a dirty word. Randy is a friend and I can vouch for him. If you have a product, services you to promote or recommend here, it's ok. Established companies should advertise but we're not interested in policing everything.

Do you wish you had gotten a different Tepui? What's your favorite thing about the one you got? What's your least favorite thing about it?

In your pictures it looks like the windows and entrance are perma open. Is that the case, or does it have a mesh screen window and a nylon fly like a normal tent? Have you used it in the rain?
    This Kukenam Sky is good for $1200 but I wish these things were under $1000. They're first generation product from China and not a lot separates all the players in terms of mounting, quality or innovation. Tepui at least has good brand, accessories and support... run by a bunch of mountain bikers in Santa Cruz. New products are coming out now, including from Yakima

On a truck, it works really well when the mounting is dialed. It's 120 lbs, not too high so it doesn't affect mileage, noise or handling much. It weighs down the rear so the back actually has better traction and skids less with that monster toyota torque. Rack is 70 lbs. The tent is up there all season and the rack is on all the time and it looks so dialed/personalized.

I love the lifestyle and all the conversations I've had about it as everyone is curious. It takes a while to learn pop up and fold down so that is a pain. But now, it takes me less than 5 minutes. So even when I have to pack up and use the car as a shuttle vehicle, it's fine. I love that all the pillows and bedding is in there 100% of the time. My Playboys and booze too. . I like that my kids want to camp now that this is around. Mom and dad sleep on a mattress on the truck bed. Yes, there's screens everywhere and it's fine in a rainstorm.

It's really perfect for biking in Downieville and Tahoe type areas. Park, sleep and ride anywhere. Free! It's most perfect application is 'overlanding' which is 4-wheelin/campin for days. I would love to explore the landscape like that.

I don't like that you really can't pop up the tent too much by the coast since it's too obvious. I don't like the main big zipper since it is so critical when closing it but it gets hung up a lot. On a sedan or van, it looks so funky. So folks take it off and on for trips and that is just not worthwhile since it's heavy. Oh, I don't like drinkin all that beer and having to pee in the middle of the night and going down the ladder. Must design a pee station....
    IPA will save America

*snip*

This Kukenam Sky is good for $1200 but I wish these things were under $1000. They're first generation product from China and not a lot separates all the players in terms of mounting, quality or innovation. Tepui at least has good brand, accessories and support... run by a bunch of mountain bikers in Santa Cruz. New products are coming out now, including from Yakima

On a truck, it works really well when the mounting is dialed. It's 120 lbs, not too high so it doesn't affect mileage, noise or handling much. It weighs down the rear so the back actually has better traction and skids less with that monster toyota torque. Rack is 70 lbs. The tent is up there all season and the rack is on all the time and it looks so dialed/personalized.

I love the lifestyle and all the conversations I've had about it as everyone is curious. It takes a while to learn pop up and fold down so that is a pain. But now, it takes me less than 5 minutes. So even when I have to pack up and use the car as a shuttle vehicle, it's fine. I love that all the pillows and bedding is in there 100% of the time. My Playboys and booze too. . I like that my kids want to camp now that this is around. Mom and dad sleep on a mattress on the truck bed. Yes, there's screens everywhere and it's fine in a rainstorm.

It's really perfect for biking in Downieville and Tahoe type areas. Park, sleep and ride anywhere. Free! It's most perfect application is 'overlanding' which is 4-wheelin/campin for days. I would love to explore the landscape like that.

I don't like that you really can't pop up the tent too much by the coast since it's too obvious. I don't like the main big zipper since it is so critical when closing it but it gets hung up a lot. On a sedan or van, it looks so funky. So folks take it off and on for trips and that is just not worthwhile since it's heavy. Oh, I don't like drinkin all that beer and having to pee in the middle of the night and going down the ladder. Must design a pee station....
    Agree fully.

Speaking of Downieville and Tepui. If you skip to time 12:20 you'll see what fc means about people and their curiosity about the tent. Don't mind I put the ladder up wrong. I was too busy talking. lol

mtbr member
    No dogs allowed, unless you can carry them up.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Oh, I don't like drinkin all that beer and having to pee in the middle of the night and going down the ladder. Must design a pee station....
    Im partial to the middle solution. Lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i think it looks awesome..the rack.

however, i am in the boonies quite often with my tacoma and i would hate having my "camp" connected to my truck. there are times we have dragged a deer to the nearest road, and hiked back to get a truck. in my group, i have the only tacoma, and it gets the nod to go back there and do the load. big diesel rigs have their disadvantages..size is the main one.

in AZ, i drive up a big hill to find cell service to call my wife.

i like the tent on the ground..and i can drive away.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i think it looks awesome..the rack.

however, i am in the boonies quite often with my tacoma and i would hate having my "camp" connected to my truck. there are times we have dragged a deer to the nearest road, and hiked back to get a truck. in my group, i have the only tacoma, and it gets the nod to go back there and do the load. big diesel rigs have their disadvantages..size is the main one.

in AZ, i drive up a big hill to find cell service to call my wife.

i like the tent on the ground..and i can drive away.
    This + for $1200 I could create a lux camp, with a freestanding tent that takes minutes to set up or tear down and literally have the best camping equipment anyone would want or need. To each their own but at at 6'4' , 190 lbs I really wouldn't want to climb/descend a rickety narrow ladder to use my tent. Questions: Can you stand in one of these and change clothing etc? Does it rock the truck suspension when someone moves at night? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    This + for $1200 I could create a lux camp, with a freestanding tent that takes minutes to set up or tear down and literally have the best camping equipment anyone would want or need. To each their own but at at 6'4' , 190 lbs I really wouldn't want to climb/descend a rickety narrow ladder to use my tent. Questions: Can you stand in one of these and change clothing etc? Does it rock the truck suspension when someone moves at night? Just curious.
    I'm 6'3" 186lbs and have no problems climbing up the sturdy ladder.

Getting down is usually no problem, however, for those less nimble I can see this type of tent as being dangerous. I almost slipped once and that could be quite disastrous for some less able folks.

You cannot stand in the tent unless you're a "little person" or have the Sky Roof option. Lying down to change is quite easy and pretty much how I change in regular tents anyway.

I don't notice the tent moving when Jeni moves BUT I do notice the tent moving if Riley bounces around too much while sleeping below us in the bed of the truck. Normal tossing and turning isn't an issue. This will be highly dependent on your vehicle's suspension though. A stiff suspension won't allow the tent to move much. A Baja-style trophy truck would likely allow the tent to sway more.

I've tent camped all my life. There are benefits and drawbacks to ground tents and RTTs which I listed above. You have to choose what works best for you or better yet, have both options available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    No dogs allowed, unless you can carry them up.
    That's a big consideration for me. I want a swanky weekender option to get out there with my kid.. but my dog is 55lbs+ and there's no way I'm hoofing him up a ladder and I'm not sure how I feel about him just sleeping in the bed of the truck while we're up in a tent.

That's a big consideration for me. I want a swanky weekender option to get out there with my kid.. but my dog is 55lbs+ and there's no way I'm hoofing him up a ladder and I'm not sure how I feel about him just sleeping in the bed of the truck while we're up in a tent.
    Good point. I added that to my Cons list. As well as the fact they are not a good choice for "family" camping. It's a 2 person camp unless the 3rd is tiny. When Riley camps with us we set him up with his own space under the tent in the bed of the truck with our pup. That doesn't work well with rain though.

In these cases an annex can help solve the problem. People can sleep in the annex below the tent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-autana_sky_tan_rooftop_tent_2.jpg  

fc
    Test fit!!!! Pretty darn dialed.

NorCal Tacomas, RTT rack-img_0946-collage.jpg
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Agree fully.

Speaking of Downieville and Tepui. If you skip to time 12:20 you'll see what fc means about people and their curiosity about the tent. Don't mind I put the ladder up wrong. I was too busy talking. lol

Sweet vid. Thanks for keeping it with natural ride sounds instead of a music background. Good times and good friends. And the tent rack demo was a plus.