Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NorCal rider down...

Hello all--
    I know there is a "rider down" forum but thought it would be appropriate here as Steve is from NorCal. Mods, please move this if need be.

Local guy went down on Cantelow in Vacaville and broke his back. Right now he is in ICU and looks to be paralyzed from the waist down. Long road to recovery ahead.

His wife is the manager of a local running shop. With them both out of work for his recovery their family will need a hand with expenses.

If you can help in any small way, please consider a donation.

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/2OXZc...ref_map=%5b%5d

Thanks,
    Tom

mtbr member
    Very sad to hear when a rider is down, especially this bad of a fall. Gave a small donation to help. Hope Steve recovers back to health.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Dont know Steve,, gave anyways. Prayers and thoughts for Steve and the family.

Last edited by zon; 11-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Paper or plastic?
    What a sad story. Hope he recovers fully.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Lightly salted
    Awful, My thoughts go out to the family.

Let's Ride!
    wow, 7.5K raised!! Awesome.....will give a little........
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Cheesiest
    Godspeed to a full recovery!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    wow, 7.5K raised!! Awesome.....will give a little........
    Fantastic. It was at 5k when I anted up. It is times like these when you don't care about Democrat or Republican, Christian or Athiest or the controversial Spandex or Baggies. It is just too easy to empathize in a situation like this when you know that one day it might be you in that bed.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    $8,300 now!! Common MTBR community, lets show our compassion!

ESE
    viewer discretion advised
    Dec 2005

Best wishes

Sent a donation. Terrible, could be any of us anytime.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Like others have said, could be me or one of my riding buddies.

wishing Steve a speedy recovery.

donation sent

mtb_girl
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the link, Onthacouch - sent a donation. Sending positive thoughts and prayers to Steve and his family.

mtbr member
    donation sent and l shared with Facebook. this could happen to anyone , and many thanks to the good samaritan that intervened.

Proud lame eBiker
    My back yard basically. Heard about the accident and the outcome but didn't know there was a donation page set up so thank you to the OP.
    Made a donation. $9400 as of Saturday afternoon! Woot woot!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

pro leisure tour

Bump

I don't know him and you may not either but he could really use your help. Anything helps.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Donation sent. Sorry to hear this. Best wishes in recovery.

pro leisure tour
    Come on team reach for your credit card. This guy needs your help right now. Be the one to put the balance over the 10k mark. Even that won't be enough, but it's a good start.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

ESE
    viewer discretion advised
    Dec 2005

Just doubled it

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    Come on team reach for your credit card. This guy needs your help right now. Be the one to put the balance over the 10k mark. Even that won't be enough, but it's a good start.
    I just doubled my donation.

Get well Steve.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    10K now,, lets go for 20. If 1000 folks on MTBR (small number of registerted users) each gave just 10 bucks,, it would be 20 overnight.

Lightly salted
    Donated,

Proud lame eBiker
    Made a donation the other day and received this response from his wife. Figured it was worth a share. Looks like things are heading in the right direction now! Fingers crossed.

"Thank you for your donation to my family,

I want to take a moment to thank each and everyone of you for your love and support. As most of you know my husband was involved in a serious cycling accident on Sunday. Many of you have reached out expressing your condolences, prayers and well wishes. There has been a huge out pour of support and compassion for our family and for that I am so incredibly thankful.

Before this event, I thought my life was pretty perfect, and I had everything figured out. Sunday morning I went to my sisters house to hang Christmas lights. The kids were playing in the background and my mom and I were talking about my desire to start training for my first marathon. Moments later I received the phone call that would change my life forever.

Steve does a solo ride every Sunday morning. That morning his alarm went off and he dozed right trough (a moment I would grow to appreciate). I encouraged him to go out and ride even though he had gotten up later then planned. I kissed him goodbye, said a quick little "love ya" and away he went. After repeating two hill climbs up Cantelow Rd. (Biking Cantelow Rd Loop - Walking trip | EveryTrail) Steve made his final climb and began his decent. After reaching 38 miles an hour at the end of the decent a sharp turn came up quick (a turn he had journey'd many mornings before). After realizing he was traveling too quickly he grabbed the breaks and began to slide. Steve lost control of his bike which sent him careening off the rode. Steve flew back first off his bike into a tree. Since Steve had left late that morning there were other cyclist on the road. A woman who had been descending a few minutes behind him found Steve and dialed 911. Had he left at his usual ride time, he would have died on the side of the road that morning.

I received a call from the Fire Captain of Fairfield who stated Steve "had taken a spill" on his bike and broke his left leg. I hoped in my car and began frantically calling family to make them aware of the accident. After beginning the longest drive of my life, I received a call from the EMT in the ambulance stating the Steve was in route to a trauma center in Sacramento. Why was my husband headed to a trauma unit for a broken leg??? 15 minutes before arriving at the hospital I received a call from the Emergency Trauma room, Steve had arrived.... and he was beginning to get feeling back in his toes. Wait, what?? "OMG he broke both of his legs"... this is where my mind went. I walked into the trauma room and there laid the love of my life, lifeless. I walked up to him and put my hand on my head. His eyes welled up with tears and his lips parted "baby I'm so sorry.... I broke my back... I don't think I will walk again" And the earth cracked.

Moments later a doctor came in a stated that Steve had broken 14 ribs, a vertebra in his neck, bruised and collapsed his right lung, and had a burst fracture of his T10 vertebra. Steve was headed to surgery and the prognosis... he would most likely never walk again. After a long 5 hour surgery Steve was the proud new owner of 2 rods and 8 screws that would now stabilize his spine. They were unable to save the T10 Vertebra and it was replaced with a bone graft. And hour after surgery he had regained feeling and minimal movement in his right leg. Steve would have chest tubes to keep the fluid and blood from causing internal complications to his lungs and breathing treatments to warn off pneumonia. We had a long road ahead of us.

As the next three days crawled by we wondered if the motor function would ever come back to the left leg. The days were full of tests, x-rays, labs, MRI's and very little sleep. Steve fought a fever every night and they had a hard time managing the pain. Day Three... Day Three was magical. The day went great, minimal pain, no fever and new sense of strength. My husband never stops fighting. "babe... babe.. I think I'm moving my foot....will you look?" With little enthusiasm I walked to the end of the bed... and then suddenly a wiggle. Oh my GOD... he moved his left leg foot. A new sense of hope took over me.

Over the past 4 days my life has been changed! Rehab predicts 1-6 months before he is rehabilitated. Still unsure if he will walk, but life has a brightness now. A brightness I never knew it could have. God has blessed me with a new understanding of love. I owe it all to you, those of you who have rallied around my family. The prayer, well wishes and donations are what have kept us focused on the road to recovery instead of focusing on survival. I feel as though saying thank you doesn't do this feeling of thanks justice. So I leave you with this, a promise, to never stop fighting, to always pay it forward and never loose sight of why we live. Live for each other, live in the moment and cherish each breath you take, because in the blink of an eye.....it can be flipped upside down.

With Love,
    Elizabeth "Liz" Roehrs"
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    10.4K as of 130 on Monday.

mtbr member
    I am so happy to hear about the feet movement. Happy to donate and hope you get back on the bike soon!!!
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Donated. wishing him well

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who has been following my husbands story. I am truly amazed at the out pour of prayers, well wishes and donations. I had no idea this forum had been started, and my heart is truly full of thanks. You can follow his road to recovery on FB by searching for the Roehrs Family Fundraiser. Please keep sharing his story and keep the prayers coming. We start PT/OT today and the long road is truly beginning.

With Love,
    Elizabeth Roehrs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast