Mulleticious

New question here. Norcal MTB guided holidays?

Anyone know of a reputable MTB holiday outfit in Norcal?
    Coming from the UK for a week and wanting to do some of your awesome trails, but looking for a package with accomodation, meals, guiding, uplift (if necessary) built in. Does anything like that exist?

mtbr member
    I don't know of one yet, but maybe someone here will correct me.

I do know of reputable business owners in the NorCal MTB scene that have floated the idea, but I haven't seen anything materialize. Do you think there is enough of a market/demand for it? For example, why would you or your mates come here versus other N. American destinations like Whistler, Bend, Moab, Fruita, Park City or Idaho? Would you want to ride the Sierras or the Coast? How many days would make it worth it?

Sorry for the thread-jack if this does already exist in NorCal, but if it does they are doing a terrible job marketing it.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

just another bleepin SSer
    If you are willing to go a state north from NorCal, Cog Wild does tours in Bend/Oakridge area of Oregon.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours in Bend, Oregon 97701Cog Wild Bicycle Tours & Shuttles | Bicycle Tours & Shuttles

Or you could set something up with daily shuttles up in Downieville.

Of course, both of these are summer things. Snow melt (and trails open) in Downieville between May and July. Bend may be more of a year round place to ride.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

dude with orange car
    I don't know of anything like that.

As stated, a place like Downieville is almost as good, but not right now due to snow. Places to stay in town. Shuttle companies to drive you uphill. Lots of trails.

This might be the closest thing I know of, and it's still not that close to what you're looking for:
    Shuttle Smith Adventures Price List $$$$ | Shuttle Smith Adventures

Might be worth giving him a call though.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    We don't really have Mountain Bike Holiday companies like they do in Europe. I went to Verbier for a week, with Bike Verbier, stayed in the Chalet, rode my bike, got fed.

Like a few poeple said there are some companies which do shuttles, and they will recommend places to stay and eat.

The terrain and riding locations are different than the Alps. There are many places where you can go in California from mountain to another, and there are trails covering everything. And there is snow in the winter, in the high country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I know of One

It's called Mendobikesprite and we do multiday trips just like you are hoping for. The riding is in the redwoods and is XC type riding on tight and twisting single track.We can and will cater the riding to your exact wants and skill level. All the best food and beverages you can stand. Mendocino is a world class tourist destination not known for Mtn bike riding yet. We have 200.000 acres to explore with no crowds.I have guided plenty of people from around the country and everybody likes it because it's so primitive and under developed.Check out our web site and book a ride I promise you will not forget this trip to Nor Cal. The big Sprite

mtbr member
    They REALLY need to get this sorted out in Downieville. All the components are there, but not stitched together in a nice all-inclusive package. Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters really needs to offer this. You could always call either of those places and they might be able to hook you up with at least lodging, shuttles, and guides.

I did an awesome MTB vacation trip this last summer in Oakridge, OR at an event called Mountain Bike Oregon. Hands down some of the best trails I've ever ridden, and they take care of EVERYTHING. On top of that, they had several bike companies offering free demo bikes: Intense, Giant, Specialized, Pivot, Santa Cruz, etc. Just get there and for 3 days they take care of everything else: camp spots, food, shuttles, guides, and of course the ever popular beer garden and associated entertainment.
    "Got everything you need?"

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendobikesprite View Post
    It's called Mendobikesprite and we do multiday trips just like you are hoping for. The riding is in the redwoods and is XC type riding on tight and twisting single track.We can and will cater the riding to your exact wants and skill level. All the best food and beverages you can stand. Mendocino is a world class tourist destination not known for Mtn bike riding yet. We have 200.000 acres to explore with no crowds.I have guided plenty of people from around the country and everybody likes it because it's so primitive and under developed.Check out our web site and book a ride I promise you will not forget this trip to Nor Cal. The big Sprite
    Great stuff. I'll check it out.

TwoHeadsBrewing - I'll check that out as well.

Thanks everyone. Hope to get there next summer.

And yes, there's a market for it, (I think). From where I sit near London, the US (and CA in particular) is considered the dream MTB location, and flights don't cost that much if you book far in advance. That said, I guess Bend, Moab, Fruita would be just as good - I've heard of them but they're probably not as well regarded as CA is here.

It would need to be for at least 6 days to make it worthwhile.

Sierra's or coast - not sure - I guess both have to be ten times better than what we have here. Must be cool to ride amongst the giant redwoods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check these guys out. They might be able to put together a package. I highly recommend Richard Bothwell as a guide and bike rider. He lives in Truckee Ca and knows the good rides. He's just getting back from a guiding surf trip in Costa Rica . What a life!
    Bay Area's Outdoor Adventure Club Activity Trip Calendar

mtbr member
    Western Spirit Bike Trips & Cycling Vacations | Western Spirit

This is a first class outfit that doesn't do mtb trips in NorCal. They'll take you to some of the best trails around, though, if you're into camping and haute camping cuisine.

Not to deter you from coming to Cali, though!

mtbr dismember

Guide not necessary

Tahoe, with perhaps a day trip to Downieville, or even Mammoth Mountain, is the only place in California worth spending a week at. You did not specify what type of riding you are interested in. But plenty of quite varied riding to keep you busy. But you would not need guides.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    If you're coming in the summer and heading to Tahoe area give the folks at Tahoe Mountain Guides a shout. They just do tours but have a lot of local contacts and should be able to point you to some good places to stay etc. They're based in Truckee. I used them for a private tour last summer. Good folks.

(530) 686-5895 info@tahoemountainguides.com
    Mountain Bike Tours and mtb guides and trails, Lake Tahoe
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about these guys as a tour group, but they are a good bike shop and I recalled that they list guided bike tours as a service they offer. They carry nice bikes (Yeti, Niner) and have demos available:

Big Swingin Cycles

And if you're up for a less structured, DIY approach, you can always find an MTBR contact to show you around if you post something up close to your trip. I've done this several times in various locations and always meet some great guides and people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendobikesprite View Post
    Highly recommended. Not only are they great guides in a great place, but they actually built most the trails you'll be riding on. I did it last summer with a meetup group, and we had a blast.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There is a a guide service availble for the Marin /SFarea it's called Mountain Biking Marin Celia can set you up with a bike and lead /guide rides. She does clinics also .