mtbr member

Hope NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined

I'm lucky to live in one of the greatest areas in the US.

With this, I've found that riding and fishing is one really great enjoyable, exciting, then relaxing, then exciting way to spend the day is to ride to a fishing hole then back out.

I ride a pretty heavy pack with as much stripped down fishing gear as I can. One issue I have found is keeping stuff cold. Between an icy water bladder and a small insulated lunch pack I can generally keep my food and water cold, but have not found a convenient way to pack out any fish without thinking it can go warm on the way out and I'm not going to put fish in my lunch pack (too small anyway).

Anyone have any special packs they have that do this or am I the only one?

Let me know how you prepare for these trips and what you generally carry!

Also, if you would like to share some good sierra rides for MTB & Fisj=hing, please let me know!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Nice man. What area do you live in?

I'm thinking of trying this. I'm in the South Bay Area so maybe Henry Coe.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I use a soft sided lunch cooler with a small ice pack. works fine. Sometimes but sometimes not, I'm overly concerned about the fish dripping into my camelback so I strap it to the outside.
    Other times I have a bike rigged with panniers and a rod holder that I'll use as long as it is not too techy (rigid bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have you tried an Arcticreel? I have one and strap it to my top tube to sit inside my front triangle. Of course this might not work if you have a FS bike. But the Arcticreel acts like a swamp cooler. You soak the canvas creel in water and it keeps fish cool inside as the water evaporates.
    https://denvertent.com/product/arcticreel/

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Articreel delivers the freshest fish because it aeriates. It's not a fit for me because it drips fishy water and bounces off my knees. If I'm hiking definitely use the Articreel. How do you keep it from dripping everywhere?

Ariolimax columbianus
    trout fishing? let 'em live! right now erryone gettin salmon and halibut off the coast. white sea bass has been pretty good too. my uncle caught a huge bluefin tuna off da charters outta channel islands harbor in may/or early June. right now folks are gettin salmon all over even w/their kayaks. there was an old member here who used to post a lot KPD, he posts a lot on NorCal Kayak Anglers looks like he fishes a lot, dunno if he still rides.

I've fished a bunch a Henry Coe, either day trips or camping. Over backcountry weekend I fished Mississippi Lake and caught over 25+ fish in a few hours, using a 4" swim bait, outta a crappy packraft I bought off Amazon. Just gotta new packraft and been jonesin to use it so I might try and get out soon.

I like to be pretty minimal when I fish, but that's pretty subjective, but I enjoy fishin w/artificials. Spinning or casting rods, never fly fished.

You could probably get away w/a just a cheap drybag and some dry ice(?) strapped to your bars? I've seen knockoff yeti soft side coolers at Walmart fo hella cheap now, trickle down tech u know?

Lotta folks will probably chime in for some Sierra stuff, or not..ha. There was a thread here a few weeks ago addressing the same topic I believe. Breh, you really gotta lug ur cast iron pan, backpackin stove, and just fire up ur meal on da spot! Then u can blast it on da gram...way cooler than coffee outside. FISH On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Articreel delivers the freshest fish because it aeriates. It's not a fit for me because it drips fishy water and bounces off my knees. If I'm hiking definitely use the Articreel. How do you keep it from dripping everywhere?
    I put fresh grass inside the plastic lined fish compartment to keep the fish from drying out. Then wet the outside of the creel with water from the stream. What drips from the creel is stream water not fish water.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

fc

NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined

Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    trout fishing? let 'em live! right now erryone gettin salmon and halibut off the coast. white sea bass has been pretty good too. my uncle caught a huge bluefin tuna off da charters outta channel islands harbor in may/or early June. right now folks are gettin salmon all over even w/their kayaks. there was an old member here who used to post a lot KPD, he posts a lot on NorCal Kayak Anglers looks like he fishes a lot, dunno if he still rides.

I've fished a bunch a Henry Coe, either day trips or camping. Over backcountry weekend I fished Mississippi Lake and caught over 25+ fish in a few hours, using a 4" swim bait, outta a crappy packraft I bought off Amazon. Just gotta new packraft and been jonesin to use it so I might try and get out soon.

I like to be pretty minimal when I fish, but that's pretty subjective, but I enjoy fishin w/artificials. Spinning or casting rods, never fly fished.

You could probably get away w/a just a cheap drybag and some dry ice(?) strapped to your bars? I've seen knockoff yeti soft side coolers at Walmart fo hella cheap now, trickle down tech u know?

Lotta folks will probably chime in for some Sierra stuff, or not..ha. There was a thread here a few weeks ago addressing the same topic I believe. Breh, you really gotta lug ur cast iron pan, backpackin stove, and just fire up ur meal on da spot! Then u can blast it on da gram...way cooler than coffee outside. FISH On!
    good info!!

KPD is Peter Donohue. Single speed.org is his username. He's 100% kayaker right now so not much bikin.
    Last edited by fc; 07-13-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus
    yeh fc, u know they got deez pedal Hobie kayaks right? hella fast but hella heavy, can do real well in da ocean w/out a real motor or sail boat. pretty expensive too and some of them need to be registered! my uncles gotta few and he's won a bunch just buyin raffle tix at da local tourney's. I'm telling y'all, go kayak fish Albion then hit up Roo Harris to go ride da Mendo forest, camping all over da place.

mtbr member
    I recently got a collapsible telescope pole. last trip the dam pole was whacking brush constantly and my FS frame is short so some attachment of a standard pole isn't really an option. Never tried an arctic creel before. I was always leery it would heat up too much. I've usually bagged them in a large 1 gallon zip lock in a cooler with ice but without the cooler I've been unsure. Still feel like the fish water will permeate. Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by Felt Ryder; 07-09-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: auto corrects

fc
    yeh fc, u know they got deez pedal Hobie kayaks right? hella fast but hella heavy, can do real well in da ocean w/out a real motor or sail boat. pretty expensive too and some of them need to be registered! my uncles gotta few and he's won a bunch just buyin raffle tix at da local tourney's. I'm telling y'all, go kayak fish Albion then hit up Roo Harris to go ride da Mendo forest, camping all over da place.
    I'll give you a call soon. I'll have three weebikes in the stable so we can explore henry coe.

fc
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus
    Some kook shots some older n newerish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice!! Carmel Highlands never disappoints.. Getting the boat in and out sometimes does

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Nice!! Carmel Highlands never disappoints.. Getting the boat in and out sometimes does
    ahem...cough. dat would be pebble beach sir, Stillwater cove. funny thing, skiing at alpine meadows last season a (presumably hella rich) local woman was telling me that they had fixer upper in Pebble Beach, wtf.

@fc hmu. off fo da summer till 2nd week of august. got some trips planned in a few weeks (possibly dis week if I can my buddy out), workin on house, and ridin locally. also gotta extra kayak if you're into that. but beach surf perch fishin is really fun too, suckers are pretty vicious. coe gotta be hot AF right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt Ryder View Post
    I recently got a collapsible telescope pole. last trip the dam pole was whacking brush constantly and my FS frame is short so some attachment of a standard pole isn't really an option. Never tried an arctic creel before. I was always leery it would heat up too much. I've usually bagged them in a large 1 gallon zip lock in a cooler with ice but without the cooler I've been unsure. Still feel like the fish water will permeate. Thanks for the tips.
    Lately, been doing a lot of mtb/fishing rides. Generally trying to get most of the riding in first and then fish after. It is a good relaxing cool down after or during a ride.

I usually do a smaller ride to my local lakes and fishing spots. Don't pack a lot of stuff. Generally just small box of tackle, some plastics, and portable fishing pole.

The smaller portable travel rods are great for this. They have some decent portable fishing poles on the market now. Had a cheap telescoping pole but it broke, then a Shakespeare Travel rod (non-telescopic) which is a pretty good rod with better action than the telescopic rod, but broke it yesterday. Haha. Gonna probably get the same rod setup. I don't bring fish back. Just catch and release.

mtbr member
    Pedal kayaks are so awesome. Demo'd an Old Town and Hobie a year ago and was sold. Definitely like the propeller models better than the Hobie because with the propeller you can go reverse instantly without having to flip the fins like on the Hobie. Also, the prop ones can hold their position better. Gonna get one just haven't pulled the trigger on one.

mtbr member
    90% of the fish I've caught in the last fifteen years, I got there by bike. It usually goes Land Cruiser/bike/hike. I've got my backpack pretty dialed over the years but I still struggle with bringing too much tackle. I've tried really hard recently to limit myself to a few patterns. It all adds up pretty quick as far as pack weight. I strictly catch and release. No fish are coming back with me.

I fish with one piece rods in the 6'-8" -7' range so the only option I've ever come up with is strapping it to my backpack and being careful. I've ridden some pretty technical trails like this.

It's pretty rare for me to end up fishing anywhere near where I've stashed my bike so I've been thinking lately about building up an old 29'r frame I have as a fishing specific bike. Sometimes I ride my klunker Schwinn and I enjoy not worrying about it being stashed in a bush quite far from where I end up. The nice bikes being vulnerable is always in the back of my head while I'm fishing. Never had a problem with the exception of my dumb ass not being able to find the bike or the one time it was near sunset and I came out of the woods only to find a ranger putting my bike in the back of his truck. Dodged a bullet that night!

Check out some fishing pics at https://www.instagram.com/samsquanchgingerbeard/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-p1030743.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Lolz-I too have misplaced my bike.

I'm fortunate to live a quick ride from several trout-filled reservoirs and streams. I've caught and released for most of my life except when the fish are stocked or are introduced and impacting the resident species. I do wish trout tasted like halibut, but they do taste ok if done up right!
    NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-dscn2819.jpgNORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-img_3109.jpg

fc
    What are some rod recommendations that can be carried on the bike easily?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I've tried pier fishing a few times in SF but had no luck. I do see people pulling fish out of the water (mostly perch). Never used live bait which might be the issue. I've heard a bit about people surfcasting for striper etc. off Ocean Beach -- any beta on good spots you can ride to? I'd love to ride the trails in GGP or Presidio to go fishing the ocean and back. Would also be interested in recommendations in the East Bay. I have a touring setup that'd be perfect for hauling fishing gear and beers

gimme friction
    This thread is clickbait.

First, kayak fishing for rockfish is OG. My dream. I recall halibut fishing off Rodeo Beach 20+ years ago and seeing SOT kayakers fishing for big flatties and thinking WTF? Again, OGs...basically pre inter webs.

As far as MTB fishing, Coe seems good, especially if you can pack a float tube.

Myself, packable fishing equals Tenkara. Iím a hack, but damn itís good. My habit is Sierra bluelines, including North ForkYuba. And Silver Fork. And xxxxx. But Iíve a lead on local warm waters with hungry bluegills and smallmouth. Will report back.

mtbr member
    I normally pack a Tenkara rod when I bike to Alpine lakes or small streams to fish for Cutthroats. It folds down to about 20" so you can easily strap it on a hydration pack or to your top tube. No reels required with Tenkara. Just some lines, and assorted flies. Very minimalist. I do this mostly in Idaho though and almost always catch and releaseNORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-img_4174.jpg.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What are some rod recommendations that can be carried on the bike easily?
    There are a lot of telescopic poles that can be pretty small 15-18 inches, but most don't have very great action and not very well made. I broke mine quickly. I recently saw a few that may be better but I haven't tried them.

I have been using the Shakespeare Travel rod (6'6" medium). It is good becaue it is not telescopic, breaks down to about 15", has better action than the telescopic ones I have used, and pretty sturdy. However, it is not the easiest to find. Model # STM66PR. Also, it is pretty inexpensive which is good because you beat on rods when mtb-ing with them.

mtbr member
    I use a collapsible spin casting rod I got fairly cheap on Amazon, fits perfectly inside my camel back and I bring a selection of spoons and spinners.

NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-img_4313.jpg

Been up to Star lake a few times this year and have caught quite a few brook trout each time, typically I put em back but one time when there was still a little snow up at the lake this year I brought a big ziplock, put six fish in there and packed it with snow, got home and BBQ'd them really good!

NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-img_2889.jpg

NORCAL MTB & Fishing Combined-img_2896.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    90% of the fish I've caught in the last fifteen years, I got there by bike. It usually goes Land Cruiser/bike/hike. I've got my backpack pretty dialed over the years but I still struggle with bringing too much tackle. I've tried really hard recently to limit myself to a few patterns. It all adds up pretty quick as far as pack weight. I strictly catch and release. No fish are coming back with me.

I fish with one piece rods in the 6'-8" -7' range so the only option I've ever come up with is strapping it to my backpack and being careful. I've ridden some pretty technical trails like this.

It's pretty rare for me to end up fishing anywhere near where I've stashed my bike so I've been thinking lately about building up an old 29'r frame I have as a fishing specific bike. Sometimes I ride my klunker Schwinn and I enjoy not worrying about it being stashed in a bush quite far from where I end up. The nice bikes being vulnerable is always in the back of my head while I'm fishing. Never had a problem with the exception of my dumb ass not being able to find the bike or the one time it was near sunset and I came out of the woods only to find a ranger putting my bike in the back of his truck. Dodged a bullet that night!

Check out some fishing pics at https://www.instagram.com/samsquanchgingerbeard/
    I checked out your fish pics. Some serious chunks.

What lakes you fishing mostly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I checked out your fish pics. Some serious chunks.

What lakes you fishing mostly?
    Thanks man!

Let's just say that all the reservoirs in Marin county with the exception of Lake Lagunitas, are home to some very healthy bass and bluegill/sunfish populations. The fishing can be inexplicably slow and there have been many, many days that left me scratching my head but when you can figure out the pattern and it's on, it can be very rewarding. Hard work though. And don't forget about the Mountain lions, armed weed cartel, rattlers, widow makers, wild pigs, shape shifters, ticks, and hornets. Bass fishing in Marin is a dangerous game.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I carry two rods in a daypack. I have a two rod endorsement.
    I set up one as a heave and leave on the shore then walk up and down the shore working a lure.

I clean the fish before leaving, put them in plastic bag, and wrap them in my spare fleece pullover I carry with me. They seem to stay cool enough until I get home.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Thanks man!

Let's just say that all the reservoirs in Marin county with the exception of Lake Lagunitas, are home to some very healthy bass and bluegill/sunfish populations. The fishing can be inexplicably slow and there have been many, many days that left me scratching my head but when you can figure out the pattern and it's on, it can be very rewarding. Hard work though. And don't forget about the Mountain lions, armed weed cartel, rattlers, widow makers, wild pigs, shape shifters, ticks, and hornets. Bass fishing in Marin is a dangerous game.
    Yeah. Bank fishing, you definitely have to battle with all kinds of stuff. Summer months the bite has been tough, but I haven't got skunked often (knock on wood). Not much sizable bass but mainly the spastic smaller ones. Tougher to get the big ones in the summer heat bank fishing to get in the heavy cover or deeper water. Santa Clara county lakes have a few good ride/fish areas I go to but bank access can be limited unless you really trail blaze. Although, caught some good 5-8 pounders on bike/fish rides this year.