mtbr member
    Sep 2006

NorCal guys - recommend a shop to me, please!

Hey guys,

I am looking for a good, knowledgeable place to buy a bike. I don't have a whole lot to spend (looking to spend no more than $350 or so on a hard tail, front suspension only), so no "upper tier" shops please.

I live in San Francisco, but am willing to travel 30 miles or so for the "right" shop.

P.S. currently, Cyco cycles SF is having a closeout sale, but I found no reviews for them. Will another store be able to match their prices? What's proper store etiquette in that situation?

Feeling a little taller
    That kind of dough isn't going to go very far in a bike shop. However, if you start looking on CraigsList.org for a used hardtail in your area, you might be able to get more bike for the buck.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Try the bicycle garage in Fremont. Take 80-800S, you can get there in bout 30. They are a great family shop who focus on all customers, just not high-end guys. Plus, free lifetime tuneups! (adjust brakes, gears, and true wheels).

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Plus, free lifetime tuneups! (adjust brakes, gears, and true wheels).
    Wow! That's pretty cool.

Uncle

$350 won't even go very far on the internet, let alone inside a shop...

I second Dan'ger's recommendation for craigslist. Can probably find a nice m2 stumpjumpeteer for that. I see some nice steel HTs occasionally as well (have purchased more than one ) There was a nice Kona FS on there for $450 not too long ago, but that was then...

Good luck with the hunt, and "mad props" for stickin' with the HTs.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

No Justice = No Peace

Mike's in Berkeley

I like Mike's Bikes in Berkeley. Nice, knowlegeable guys who are not dealing with millioaires every day. I think they do life time service as well.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moscow
    Hey guys,

I am looking for a good, knowledgeable place to buy a bike. I don't have a whole lot to spend (looking to spend no more than $350 or so on a hard tail, front suspension only), so no "upper tier" shops please.

I live in San Francisco, but am willing to travel 30 miles or so for the "right" shop.

P.S. currently, Cyco cycles SF is having a closeout sale, but I found no reviews for them. Will another store be able to match their prices? What's proper store etiquette in that situation?
    Save your money on the bike, by stealing one.

Use your dough for upgrades!

pedal faster!

Breakaway Bike Shop!!!!!

Breakaway Bike Shop in saratoga carries good quality entry bike that you are looking for. they are trying to get rid of their 06' bikes to make room for the 07's so theres usually some really good deals on the weekends. they carry mostly giant and a couple marin bikes. check out their website http://www.breakawaybikeshop.com/

mtbr member
    You can get a Specialized Hardrock in the 350 range, and I'm tellin ya, the free tuneups are a lifesaver. After about 3 weeks of consecutive riding on a new bike, ALL the cables stretch. So the der.s and brakes become loose and out of adjust. Usually done on the spot for free at the bicycle garage. Plus, the tuneups cost regular customers (like if you buy yourself a used bike) 70$. BTW, Mikes does a plan where its 100$ for five years, and you get either unlimited or limited amount on tuneups, which I guess is cool if you like spending money...

player hater
    Oct 2006

shop in SF

Liked the folks at Roaring Mouse - solid, knoweldgable, not a fixie or a SF attitude bike shop

Also freewheel over on upper Hayes. Not the one on Mission.

Cheap used bikes abound in SF

just another bleepin SSer
    Don't forget to check out the bike shop reviews online at http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/. And for those who posted thoughts here, if you haven't yet - please post a review on the shop.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Try the bicycle garage in Fremont. Take 80-800S, you can get there in bout 30. They are a great family shop who focus on all customers, just not high-end guys. Plus, free lifetime tuneups! (adjust brakes, gears, and true wheels).
    free lifetime tuneups for someone who's not very mechanically inclined, or someone who's buying their first bike, is worth it's weight in gold.

I had it on all my bikes and they'd encourage me to bring the bike in on a monthly basis just cause it made their lives easier to do a quick tune and lube rather than a complete overhaul tuneup several months down the line.

It also gave me the opportunity to start working on my bike bymyself without fear of creating a nightmare, and if I couldnt get it right, or I messed things up, they'd fix it for free (provided I didnt break anything).

You'll definately get more for your buck buying a used bike, but you have to considere other things like lifetime service, and warantee which could prove to be way more valuable than the value in buying used.

Also buy the best frame you can with the shobbiest components as possible. You'll be upgrading as you break things durring your learning curve. Get a good base and it'll serve you better down the road as you replace/upgrade parts, versus outgrowing the limmits of a cheaper frame.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"