Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post

Any recommendations for a family friendly brewpub? We had lots of those in CO and I like what I experienced in Portland. So far, its drunks, attitude and too loud in most places I go to around here.

_MK
    I haven't been in a while but I really enjoyed Hops and Barley Tavern in Occidental the few times I've been.

I like mtn biking, too

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I haven't been in a while but I really enjoyed Hops and Barley Tavern in Occidental the few times I've been.
    I went there in Feb - they had Pliny on tap! Nice spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Stopped by this place last night so adding it to the list:

Southern Pacific Brewing (D+) - so disappointed I wanted to love this place; the space / decor are great, bartenders were really nice, they have 2 bars & lots of indoor / outdoor seating so it's easy to get a drink and a place to sit (esp. by SF Mission District standards), a generous taster flight of all the beers they brew is super cheap ($7 for a lot of beer!), and they have pretty good food as well, but unfortunately the beer absolutely blows - it is abysmally bad - the D+ is accounting for all of the good stuff; Hipster factor is even low for SF Mission, but that is probably b/c the beer sucks

On a positive note, they do serve some half-decent guest beers so you could go there to eat and drink other beers!
    I agree with everything except the food; food is ok at best. They do have some tasty guest beers, although I usually go to breweries for their beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Right on. Open for 8 months and rave reviews. We must meetup.

Clandestine Brewing
    Heck yeah! And since this post (I am a bad checker of replies) they've added Thursday night to the lineup. Might have to ride over tomorrow and catch the Movable Feast food trucks along the way. Not in the same spot, but within a mile or two.

mtbr member
    Checked out a pretty good spot last night - adding to the list:

Barrel Head Brewhouse (A-): Good house beers, really good food, nice decor & vibe, very cool bartenders / staff, they name their house brews after Giants players, the beer tap is an old torpedo, they have quite a few good guest beers, and they brewed a Pumpkin Peach IPA as an FU to that Budweiser commercial - and it is delicious! - oh, and I don't usually like Pilsners that much but they have a killer Pils

The only minor knocks are that they only brew a few beers so there is not a lot of variety of their own beers, and the prices are just a wee bit steep.

Name:  torp.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  75.2 KB

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-fl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mraz Brewing- A - one of the best breweries in Sac area in my opinion. Great ipas, belgians, and sours + a coffee porter. No food but you can bring in whatever, get a burger from the mexican place next door (Cascada) and you wont be disappointed. The mexican food is really good there too. Go ride Salmon falls and Mraz is right there on the way back

EDH Brewing - n/a - literally just opened a few days ago and they only had one of their own beers on tap, a grapefruit ipa, that was ok but not hoppy enough to call an ipa. Owner says he wants to focus on english style ales. I'll withhold judgement until they've had a chance to brew a few batches. Food was just brats not sure if they're planning a full menu or not. Across the street from Mraz.

Cool Beerworks - B - decent beers and standard pub fare. Its in Cool so its just across the street from the Olmstead Loop or just on the opposite side of the canyon from all the Auburn rides. Definitely worth a stop.

Goathouse Brewing - C - Definitely doing some interesting brews, some that work and some that didn't. Their place out in the country near Lincoln is cool. They were even growing some hops. No food and when I was there they were only selling tasters and growlers, no pints. Definitely lost some points for this. A little out of the way but you can swing by after riding Hidden Falls.

Knee Deep - A (as long as you like hoppy) - Great IPAs what else do you need? Food trucks fairly regularly. If you dont like hoppy they have nothing for you, at least last time I was there, but I did hear that they might start doing some saisons. Great stop after riding Auburn.

Auburn Alehouse - B+ - Good food and decent beers.

Other breweries in Sac area that arent necessarily near a ride.

Loomis Basin Brewing - B+ - Loomis. If you can hit them up in December for some Jacked Up or around St Patty's day for their barrel aged oatmeal stout definitely do it. They also have some nice ipas and alohahawk a very easy drinking ale at 8%. No food. Cool vibe.

Dragas - B - Rocklin. really liked their chili stout. No food.

Boneshakers Community Brewery - B - Rocklin. great food and decent beers. The boneshakers pub (seperate place from the brewery) also always has some really good beers on tap.

Out of Bounds Brewing - C- - Rocklin. from some comments in this thread I may need to give them another shot but last time I was there the beer was completely meh and everything tasted the same which is kinda impressive since they had a cream ale which tasted like their red ale which tasted like their pale ale which tasted like their ipa and none were good, the only difference was the colors. No food/ food trucks. Amazingly nice facility though.

Monks Cellar - B - Roseville. decent belgian style beers. The clams and duck fat fries are cheap and great. Havent tried any of their other food. Little more upscale than other places Ive mentioned.

New Helvetia - A - Sac. Great beers. Cool patio. No food

Track 7 - A - Natomas or Sac. Some great beer. My wife is currently obsessed with Nukin Futz, a peanut butter chocolate Porter. It's definitely exactly what it claims to be as it is like a full on desert. no food/food trucks

Bike Dog - B+ - west sac. Pale ales and milk stout. no food/food truck

New Glory - stopped here with friends after we had already been drinking. I remember that they had a ton of different stuff on tap, I think at least 16, but that nothing stood out as amazing. no food/food truck

Berryessa - A - great beers and cool atmosphere. no food/food truck

There's more:
    Greater Sacramento Beer Map | Hops to Table Publishing | Covering the Greater Sacramento and Chico Beer Scene

Proud lame eBiker
    Berryessa Brewing generally has music and food trucks going. Friday and Saturday afternoon/evenings at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

enjoying the scenery
    Just off the freeway past Davis, right before the lanes merge and the backup starts, is the Ruhstaller Brewery. Some hay bales, a bar, cornhole, two IPAs and a great Kölsch. They do have a taproom in Sac but we like stopping here on the way home from wherever. Cool place.
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

Trail Gnome
    I met up with a couple friends the other night at Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley. Pretty cool spot, it's about a block or two from Pyramid...Fieldwork is dog friendly, no kitchen, but you can bring food or take out/delivery...they had some tasty grapefruit IPA when I was there. Tried the Sour Diesel...I don't know how people can drink those type of beers? It's worth checking out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Tried the Sour Diesel...I now know how people can smoke that type of weed!!!!! It's worth checking out.
    Fixed it for you.

That makes me smart
    When you say no food/food truck, does that mean no food, no food truck, or no food but there IS a food truck?
    Hail, Satan!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i meant they don't have their own kitchen serving food but that they often have food trucks in the parking lot.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I wrote a piece on the issue of Holiday Beers!

BEER GUIDE | Check out our best beer guide for the holidays. What's your goto beers and beer accessories? 2015 Holiday Gift Guide: Best beer ? and beer related stuff - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    That hydroflask set looks like a great gift. We have one of their growlers and it super nice.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    New Year's last year, I got good Christmas beer for cheap at Costco.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_0332.jpg  

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_0333.jpg  

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_0344.jpg  

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-12274208_10153645825473213_7807566855027420172_n-1-.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No love for the dark side during the holidays? How about some Bourbon County, Black Tuesday, or Firestone Anniversary.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jxl118 View Post
    No love for the dark side during the holidays? How about some Bourbon County, Black Tuesday, or Firestone Anniversary.
    Very good suggestions. I'll try and add those. Thing is I don't drink those anymore so I don't think about them. Only Belgians and IPAs.

But... darker, chewy beers are quite appropriate with this arctic weather.

fc
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome
    New Year's last year, I got good Christmas beer for cheap at Costco.
    That Alpine "Duet" is a solid IPA

Trail Gnome
    I checked out two new breweries this weekend. Saturday we rode Annadel, then went to Cooperage Brewing in Santa Rosa...it was ok. I'll give them another shot. Today was State Room Brewing in San Rafael; they took over the old Broken Drum location. IPA was solid and the pizza was too; the only gripe I have was the bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Debating continuing my SARA membership...was out of town for the "initial deadline"... But I'm finding myself less enamored with needing to be on the cutting edge ... be it wine or beer. Debates persist.

That makes me smart
    If you're coming back to the Lodi area after a ride at Hogan or New Melones, stop in at Lodi Beer Co.

Atmosphere, depends on where you sit. Booths are fair, bar is good, pub tables near the front are better, and if it's warm, sit in the patio out front. Great for people watching.

Food is fair to good, I like their burgers best, I think. But they have pizza and some hoity-toity specialties.

It's in an old building, lots of history, I'm sure. Can get very loud, lots of hard walls & floors with a high ceiling. Kind of dim, too, unless you sit by the front windows. Big ol' copper brew vats n the center of the room. Be sure to check out the two HUGE mirrors behind the bar. I'll bet those were a beeyotch to hang!

Beer-wise, best bet is their Plowshear Porter, I think. I also LOVE their cherry wheat, but be forewarned, it is TART, and its hard to drink anything else after that tartness boils your tongue.

Prices are pretty high. Ask about happy hour beer prices, but you have to be sitting at or near the bar.

Lodi Beer Co. | Lodi Beer Company

Also in Lodi, at the south end of town, is Tap House Pizza. Not a brewery, but they have a pretty exotic selection of beer. They have food, but I think they're known for their pizza. Never had it. Pricey, small place with a well-lit ambiance. More of a younger crowd than the Beer Co.

TAP HOUSE PIZZA

Oh! Almost forgot. If you like cigars and Guiness on tap, try Stogies, near downtown on Pine Street.www.stogiesoflodi.com <----- this site was jacked when I was looking at it. No food, but sometimes the regulars will have a potluck going. Other good beer on tap, along with a good selection of bottled beer as well. Pool table, and across the street is an awesome little park with a Veteran's Memorial fountain with an eternal flame. Check out the HUGE granite ball in the fountain, the thing weighs 16 tons and it was shipped here from China (go figure, huh?). Info here: Granite sphere swings into Lodi as veterans memorial centerpiece - Home - Mobile
    Hail, Satan!!

jrm
    mtbr member

I'd like to add Cleophus Quealy Brewery

Really small place open only Thurs thru Sunday. There is usually a food truck to be had and sometimes local music. Beers are mostly belgium quads and Saisons with some sours and pales mixed in. The place is totally rideable from San Leandro BARTable and a pretty short ride away from Drakes and 21st.

Cleophus Quealy Beer Company

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What's the word on Lupulin in Santa Cruz. I saw a beer list that was like dayum!

https://www.facebook.com/Lupulosc/
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What's the word on Lupulin in Santa Cruz. I saw a beer list that was like dayum!

Lupulo, not Lupulin. Those are my friends so I can't be objective but you should check it out and share your thoughts.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've plugged this before on this thread, but after some dabs trying to clean some rough trails, 2Tread Brewery didn't go over the bars and if finally going to open in Santa Rosa this Spring.

2 Tread Brewery | Eatery & Craft Brewery

Will review the beer in a few months.

BTW- lines for Pliny the Younger are still long every day.

That makes me smart

Lupulo! What, do they all look the same to you?
    Hail, Satan!!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Lupulo, not Lupulin. Those are my friends so I can't be objective but you should check it out and share your thoughts.
    hmmph... big help you are.
    IPA will save America

orthonormal

Food is good, beer selection is always interesting/different. I haven't been in a while because every time I get close, I can hear the octopus and gyro sandwiches at Mozaic calling my name from a couple of blocks away.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    New Bohemia Brewing - Santa Cruz/Capitola - New Bohemia Brewing Co Good folks who own this joint, good food, good vibe, & most importantly good brews! Only 1 or two IPA & pale ales but some great stouts, lagers, Belgians. Check em out you won't be disappointed.
    Discretion Brewing - Already mentioned, great food, great beer, cool vibes!

Beer Thirty - Not a brewery but a fun place to try some different brews, dog friendly as the above breweries are also. Fun games, pong, darts, etc....

Love lagunitas, love Russian River, check out Petaluma Hills Brewery, kitty corner to Lagunitas, good brew good people, not many people either drinking brews!

Love Anderson Valley - Disk Course is a fun activity, grab a six pack or 12 and off you go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    East Cliff Brewing in Santa Cruz is opening today!! East Cliff Brewing Company
    FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/East-Cliff-...90165/?fref=ts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thmp Thmp View Post
    I peaked in the window yesterday before opening. Looks like a nice little space. Did you check it out?

I like mtn biking, too
    WHAT???!! Yay. Oh geez. Not a good month for ditching beer.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah we checked it out. The location is great and the beer was good... you must remember that it is more of an English style (lower ABV with mellower flavor and a bit warmer then we are used to). I think they need a bit more time to work out some of the kinks. With that being said I will be back in about a month. I think they will do well.

mtbr member
    Yeah we checked it out. The location is great and the beer was good... you must remember that it is more of an English style (lower ABV with mellower flavor and a bit warmer then we are used to). I think they need a bit more time to work out some of the kinks. With that being said I will be back in about a month. I think they will do well.
    Cool. Yeah, from what I read everything is on hand pump right?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Lupulo! It's right beside Spokesman bikes. It's got quite a bit of indoor seating. Appetizers served. Coolers are stocked with bottles too.

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_8983.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_8984.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_8985-1-.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_8986.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_8987.jpg
    IPA will save America

I like mtn biking, too
    Yeah, and Lupulo regularly has the coveted Rustic Ales on tap - 831 & lately the Simpletons - single-origin hop IPA's. Great rotation, I like the varieties.
    ~Fairfaxian

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Yeah, and Lupulo regularly has the coveted Rustic Ales on tap - 831 & lately the Simpletons - single-origin hop IPA's. Great rotation, I like the varieties.
    I had the Fieldwork Sawhorse for the first time. It was legit. All flavor, no bitter.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    duplicate

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool. Yeah, from what I read everything is on hand pump right?
    We did a flight of all 6 beers and 3 were hand pump. For both me and my wife the porter was our favorite.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    S.O.T. (slightly off topic):

O´Flahertyś Irish Pub in San Ho has a keg of Pliney the Younger tonight! Theyŕe selling tickets at the door starting at 4. The word on the street is $6 for 4 ounces, and all proceeds go to help Jake McCluskey from Santa Clara Brewing (great story) on his 100 mile run for the Silicon Valley Childrenś Fund. We´ll be there around 4:30. Cheers!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 02-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

Trail Gnome
    We stopped by Plow in Santa Rosa last weekend, and Carneros Brewing today. Plow is very tiny. They had a good selection of beers, and they fill their own 32 oz. growler cans. No food offered.
    Carneros has a decent Stout , it's called Chupacabra Stout; how could I not try it They did not have any food other than small bags of pretzels. I will go back to both places and try more of their offerings.

The pic is from Carneros.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-img_0672.jpg  

Trail Gnome
    There are new breweries popping up monthly...doesn't anyone drink anymore?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i like Fogbelt for their RED ALE. great beer for me. they were doing some open fermentation and invited me back to take a look. that smell that hit me in the face was like bread baking!! it was a cool experience. really nice people..service does not favor the meek. you need to get in their face.

i've been loving the pilsner at Crooked Goat in Sebastopol..really good. the place is okay. couple of cuties pouring the beer, despite i always seem to end up with the one dude pouring beer. whatever. food is from the places around the place..never ate there. service is okay. bring a jacket and get ready for a echo-y interior.

Prospector Beer in Mariposa. this is my beer place i hit up when i do my annual spring turkey hunt. GREAT BEER!! cool ass folks..bring a bag of microwave popcorn and they have let me go in the back to pop it up. i like the place and you can steal WIFI from Subway next door.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

orthonormal
    Shanty Shack is open in Santa Cruz, near Costco. I had an IPA, my wife tried a red ale. Both were good. I understand barrel aged beers are their main focus and there are lots of barrels stacked behind the bar but they're not currently pouring any of those. Tables inside, picnic benches outside, food truck out front.
    Last edited by andy f; 01-18-2017 at 12:56 PM.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Heard Fieldwork is opening in the Peninsula? Their beer is good. Very good.

Fieldwork Brewing to open San Mateo beer garden in Spring 2017 -

Also, there's an incredible brewery in Monterey called Alvarado St. Brewing. Great restaurant. And now they have a brewery tap room in Salinas. Another amazing brewery.

San jose.... nothing still.
    IPA will save America

Air Pirate
    Stopped at Highway 1 Brewing Company on the Slow Coast near Pescadero a little while back. Had the "Minted IPA"...was pretty nice. They are on SR1 a little south of Pigeon Point Lighthouse (just south of Gazos Creek Road). Very friendly staff, comfortable mellow place.

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-20160908_132044.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-20160908_132110.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-20160908_132121.jpg

I didn't get a photo of the front of the place (you can Google it), but I did take a couple of crappy photos as I was riding on the old road to the rear of the brewery heading toward Costanoa.
    Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-20160908_132917.jpg

Norcal Brewery reviews and photos-20160908_133243.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Heard Fieldwork is opening in the Peninsula? Their beer is good. Very good.

Fieldwork Brewing to open San Mateo beer garden in Spring 2017 -

Also, there's an incredible brewery in Monterey called Alvarado St. Brewing. Great restaurant. And now they have a brewery tap room in Salinas. Another amazing brewery.

San jose.... nothing still.
    Fieldwork is also opening another tasting room down the street from Alvarado St. in Monterey supposedly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think Hapa's opened last night, anyone go?

Formerly of Kent
    Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

Won't rate it because one of my best friends is a brewer there. Good food, wide variety of good beers. Sours in particular, if you like them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

Won't rate it because one of my best friends is a brewer there. Good food, wide variety of good beers. Sours in particular, if you like them.

Crap food, hellish weekend traffic. Good IPA!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Good seafood shack across the street. Awesome fresh crab at the pier when in season.
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    The traffic in and out of there was insane. Back ups for miles.

Death from Below.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    The traffic in and out of there was insane. Back ups for miles.

Only one major artery to get back to the peninsula, Highway 92. And there's no side street escape routes. Cray, cray.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome
    Dont forget about the outdoor fire pits

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Santa Rosa is hopping... my favorite newish spot is Henhouse. Small casual room with some tables and bar seating and a nice outside area. They have a yummy pizza food truck on most fridays and saturdays. For tasting room only, Plow is great, Moonlight nearby is also excellent, but has a tiny tasting room and limited hours. Usually no food either. Fogbelt seems to be improving but I am not too impressed by their beer. Haven't tried Cooperage in that area yet. Downtown, Russian River continues to create great new ipas and pale ales if you can stand the crowds, might be worth waiting until their new facility opens which will probably be a year away. 2 Tread is opening downtown 'soon' and trying to appeal to a bike crowd, we'll see. Further west Crooked Goat in Sebastopol is ok, but not worth going out of your way for, especially when there are lots of better options nearby to get a pint. Woodfour in Sebastopol - don't bother. Crazy how many options are up here, there are some old classics like Bear Republic and Third Street which aren't keeping up with the competition in my opinion. And then there is Petaluma.....

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Shanty Shack is open in Santa Cruz, near Costco.
    Another brewery near the SC Costco? Between the beer and the riding, it's an embarrassment of riches.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Santa Rosa is pretty on point for beer and bike options. RRBC is old news as far as I'm concerned.....Pliny who? Too many other great options now.
    Every Cooperage beer I've tried has been great, very low key spot in industrial part of town.
    TrailHouse is awesome, great beer list, solid food and its actually a bike shop plus its next to Annadel. $7 pints though.
    2 Tread has taken soooo long to get going, will be interested to see how that place turns out. I think Trailhouse is stealing their thunder with the bike community a bit.
    I like Fogbelt too, the beer is good (Screaming Giant is my favorite) and they actually have really good food options. Never too crowded and overall easy going place.

Fieldwork has become my favorite brewery overall. Great mellow vibe at the brewery (gets crowded on the weekends though), good small food options and they make so many different IPAs and they all are fantastic. When I was there 2 weeks ago they had 5 DIPAs on! Plus 3 single IPAs and 2 very hop forward pale ales, can't think of any brewery that can compete with that. They are expanding like crazy with all the satellite taprooms but quality has not faltered a bit.

Anyone been to Temescal Brewing on Telegraph in Oakland yet? They're on my list of new spots to check out. Head brewer there used to be assistant brewer at Cellarmaker, so I have high expectations for their IPAs.

orthonormal
    There are a couple of new options for good beer in Scotts Valley. Malone's has been on Scotts Valley Drive since dinosaurs roamed the town but it's now under new ownership. They've expanded the number of taps and it's clear they're taking the selection seriously. Last night I had a Humulus from The Bruery and a Lost and Found from Lost Abbey. Also, it looks like the place that was most recently the Hop Head Public House will open next month with 16 taps. The place has been completely redone and looks good through the new roll-up garage door style front windows.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I'm glad to hear that something is replacing the Hop Head! They were just starting to be part of our rotation when they closed.

orthonormal
    I heard they're going to call it Two Doors Down (it's next door to the Next Door Tavern).

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I heard they're going to call it Two Doors Down (it's next door to the Next Door Tavern).
    Boycott! They played Trump's inauguration!

Edit: Oops, wrong number of doors.

For fun, read the comments section.

This Is Why 3 Doors Down Said Yes To The Inauguration | The Huffington Post
    Hail, Satan!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=fc;13002282]Heard Fieldwork is opening in the Peninsula? Their beer is good. Very good.

[url=http://www.liquidbreadmag.com/fieldwork

They're pretty good. Although you were complaining years ago that Rustic had hella expensive Growler fills at $18.00. Alvarado is $20.00 for most IPA's. Their Taproom in Salinas (Industrial part of town) is a pretty happening spot since it's opening. The Restaurant in Monterey is Ok but there are many better options in a VERY food-rich town.

***Strange - The reply with quote didn't quote what you had to say about Alvarado St. Brewing. System issue???
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    "Toby Keith...3 Doors Down...Jackie Evancho. We’re a Ferris Wheel and a few funnel cakes shy of a State Fair."

Thanks for that, Finch!

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    "Toby Keith...3 Doors Down...Jackie Evancho. We’re a Ferris Wheel and a few funnel cakes shy of a State Fair."

Thanks for that, Finch!
    Hail, Satan!!

mtbr member
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dirtvert again.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    North-east Cal - but the Brewing Layer in Blairsden-Graeagle just near the intersection of 89 and 70. Solid beers, good peeps.

Not so much riding this time of year.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ That would be the Brewing Lair! It's one of the coolest places anywhere, and the best place to hang out after riding one of the best trails in the state, Mt. Elwell (or Mills Peak or other local trails). I was thinking about it today as I was washing my Howling Dogs (LBS) shirt.

mtbr member

Thanks for that, Finch!
    That was a good one - I like this one as well:

"I was planning to boycott 3 Doors Down for playing Trump's inauguration, but then I realized I'd already been boycotting them since 2001"

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    How about midpeninsula? I'm planning to check these out:
    Alpha Acid
    Blue Oak
    Freewheel

I've been to Devil's Canyon a few times over the years, but I haven't found an IPA there I love recently, and my focus is narrow enough that I am not going to review it. (mostly looking for juicy IPAs, like Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, or Green Flash West Coast IPA)

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Okay, not a brewery (sue me), but had dinner tonight at Good Karma in downtown San Ho. It's a very small vegan joint, but they always have a great selection of beers on tap. My g/f had an aged-in-Scotch-barrels mead (14%) that was delicious and I had the Fortem DIPA from Firestone, which was like liquid crack. 4 thumbs up.

Trail Gnome
    Humble Sea Brewery, Santa Cruz
    It was hella crowded, hot, and they need more shade' they are West facing. The beer selection was ok; about 25% of the beers were guest beers. I went for the Fieldworks option of course
    The was a drunken beer tour there, with lots of loud dudes struggling to stay upright...
    I think this place just opened up' I'll give them one more try in a few months. By the fc rating system, I'll give this place a C-

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Just picked up a case of Stone from the San Jose Costco: Ruination, Ripper Pale Ale, Revolver Single Hop IPA, and their classic IPA for $31.99. Summer has unofficially started!

That makes me smart
    ^^ Nice to see Lagunitas score so high (35th). It put me off with its hop level when I first tried it a few years ago. Now I have to pick up a case at Costco every 3 weeks! And cool to see San Ho's Hermitage Citra scoring high (18th).
    Boycott Lagunitas! Farkin' sellouts!
    Hail, Satan!!

That makes me smart
    Just picked up a case of Stone from the San Jose Costco: Ruination, Ripper Pale Ale, Revolver Single Hop IPA, and their classic IPA for $31.99. Summer has unofficially started!
    God, Stone is soooo good. I found a couple of closeout 6-packs of Go-To IPA for $6. 16oz cans, too. Num.

So, if you're in the Elk Grove area, be sure to check out Old Town Pizza And Tap House. I don't know what's better, their selection of beer (they aren't a brewery), or their pizza. Good people working there, too. Great rustic setting. Like ye olde Straw Hat. Anyone remember those?

Home

Also in Elk Grove: Flatland, Tilted Mash and one I haven't tried yet, Waterman Brewing Company.

Flatland has pleasant people really trying to sell beer. Nice warehouse-type environment, same goes for Tilted Mash. Beer is fair at both. Can't wait to try Waterman. Or I could just drive 1/2 hour more to Sacramento and lose myself at Track 7. Their beer is a whole 'nother level.
    Hail, Satan!!

wretch
    I came here to rep Brewing Lair which has already (justifiably so) been done. The owners are fantastic, the property is beautiful and dog friendly, and the beer is top notch. Pair that with whatever you've done all day leading up to drinking their beer and you can't go wrong!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12