mtbr member
    Feb 2009

noob chain guide question: MRP lopes on 1x9 SC jackal

posting here because of the higher traffic, and experienced locals

so i have a 2010 santa cruz jackal w/ a 1x9 drivetrain. i hadn't been running a chainguide of any kind, but started to lose my chain here and there (my LBS also recommended one for trail riding).

i bought the MRP lopes chainguide, and its designed to work w/ the ISCG05 tabs that the jackal frame has. i followed all the instructions, including in the vid below, and got everything installed. the chainring is aligned w/ the centerline of the top/bottom guides.

it seems to be working fine in most gears, but when i'm in the largest rear cog, it really starts rubbing and pulling the lower guide inwards (see pix below). because i installed it w/ just one set of spacers, i could remove them and mate the chainguide directly to the frame, and see if that helps. also, my chainguide didn't come w/ markings to set the upper, lower guides, so i consulted pictures online to position them (its a 32 ring)

before i pulled everything apart, however, i wanted to query the forum:
    -is it a case of too short chain?
    -is the rubbing just normal for a 1x9 w/ chain guide (and the short chainstays of the jackal)?

thanks in advance everyone! hope the pix come out out ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails noob chain guide question: MRP lopes on 1x9 SC jackal-2012-01-11-18.17.10.jpg  

noob chain guide question: MRP lopes on 1x9 SC jackal-2012-01-11-18.17.58.jpg  

noob chain guide question: MRP lopes on 1x9 SC jackal-2012-01-11-18.18.29.jpg  

94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    oops, forgot to paste the link--this is the video i consulted:

Tech Tuesday - MRP G2 SL Chain Guide Install - Pinkbike.com

aka dan51
    I would add a chain link even if you weren't having that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I would add a chain link even if you weren't having that problem.
    thanks---i'll def pick up an extra link or two at the LBS tmrw and put it on

Urban Ninja
    Are you riding trails a lot on this bike? It's pretty normal to tighten the chain like that if this is a dedicated dual slalom bike but if you are mostly riding trails then adding a link makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    Are you riding trails a lot on this bike? It's pretty normal to tighten the chain like that if this is a dedicated dual slalom bike but if you are mostly riding trails then adding a link makes sense.
    thanks for the response. nope, no plans for dual slalom, i wanted to mainly use the bike for a few things:

-calabazas BMX park (use 1 or 2 gears at most while there, and also riding there from work)
    -trail riding (waterdog, skeggs, saratoga gap and maybe demo forest if i get my courage back up)
    -various urban/skills (riding around work, or near home, just messing around learning how to bunnyhop properly, etc)

i'll check w/ the LBS where i bought the chainguide later today and see if i missed anything during installation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Like suggested above, try adding chainlink/s and see if that makes a difference. You can also try playing around with the chainline between the crank and cassette if there's still room for any adjustments (adding/removing spacers), make sure the crank chainring is inline with the middle cog of your cassette. I have an e13 lg1 (iscg mount), I had to play around with spacers on the chainguide and at the bottom bracket. A little rub when on the smallest/biggest cog is okay but not to the point where the guides are being pulled inward or outward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3N View Post
    Like suggested above, try adding chainlink/s and see if that makes a difference. You can also try playing around with the chainline between the crank and cassette if there's still room for any adjustments (adding/removing spacers), make sure the crank chainring is inline with the middle cog of your cassette. I have an e13 lg1 (iscg mount), I had to play around with spacers on the chainguide and at the bottom bracket. A little rub when on the smallest/biggest cog is okay but not to the point where the guides are being pulled inward or outward.
    thanks for the suggestions M3N.

actually, i just got back from the LBS--the mechanic said he had the same 1x9+ guide setup on his Blur LT, and said that w/ such a wide set of ratios in the cassette to expect some rubbing. after playing around w/ it in different gears, he said not to add any new chain links or mess w/ the chainline, but to adjust the rear derailleur b-limit screw and also to move the lower guide close to the chainring. let me try that first, and if no improvement, i'll add a few links and try it w/o spacers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did you resolve the issue? I am planning to convert from 3x9 to 1x and considering either the MRP lopes or g2sl guide. Curious to know if you are happy with your setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    go e13

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ek33 View Post
    Did you resolve the issue? I am planning to convert from 3x9 to 1x and considering either the MRP lopes or g2sl guide. Curious to know if you are happy with your setup.
    i ended up taking it to the bike shop where i bought it--they looked it over and said everything was ok. the mechanic has the exact same setup on his blur LT2, and said he got the same amount of rub in the biggest cog. at some point, the upper and lower guides (which are plastic), will have to be replaced.

other than that, no issues so far. i was going to add a link to the chain but haven't gotten around to it.