Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Let's ride

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NoCal 29er demo at Waterdog Sunday 1/14/07 10am-3pm

29er demo this Sunday Jan 14th 2007 at Waterdog Park. After party at Passion Trail Bikes.

There are more available models here than at Interbike this year to ride. Beat that!
    This is a great way for anyone thinking about the 29" wheel, to hopefully throw a leg over 1 or more and get a test ride back to back, same trail, same day, etc. Some bikes are small enough for folks ~5'3".

This is lowkey, unsponsored, no insurance, self responsible event. If you don't have helicopter coverage, make sure you choose the Victor option when they have you on the gurney (he'll have to tell you, in his super Russian accent).

We have a slew of the very latest 29er bikes, and some that don't exist on the market yet. We have some owners that are trusting, and good hearted enough, to loan out their personal bikes. We'll be there at 9:30am, so early birds can get some fat worms and get on the trail.

Why Waterdog?
    Small laps, some jumps, tight stuff. Close to Passion Trail Bikes (also trails mostly built by PTB as well). Most importantly, Baycat doesn't have to drive too far.

Here's the dealio:
    1. You show up, If I recognize you, we set up on the bike that you pick and off you go. If I don't know you, I'll need your CDL and CC(please have enough room on the CC for me to charge a full bike to ).
    2. We'll make seat adjustments for you. We may or may not make bar/stem adjustments on the owner bikes (their call). We'll also make shock and fork air pressure adjustments.
    3. If you ride an owner bike, I'm holding you, the rider, responsible(I probably don't need to say that, but there it is).

What to bring:
    Pedals (we'll have eggbeater/candy pedals)
    Your favorite saddle
    Mojo
    All other biking stuff you normally ride with (no rides without helmets)
    Tubes 26" will work fine
    Bring a camping chair

Helpful measurements to know about your current ride (in CM):
    Seat height from center of BB to top of seat
    Cockpit length (back of saddle to center of handlebar)
    Handlebar height (top of bar to ground)

Hardtails:
    Confirmed:
    1 18" On-One Inbred 29er (Reba 1x9)
    1 21" On-One Inbred 29er (Reba)
    1 Med Raleigh XXIX Rigid SS
    1 Sm Niner Sir9 1x9 Reba
    1 Sm Niner Sir9 SS Rigid
    1 Sm Niner One9 SS Rigid
    1 XL Niner Sir9 SS Rigid
    1 XL Voodoo that you do Dambala Rigid SS
    1 Med Mary SS Rigid <-------(May need help with transport from Oakland/Rockridge to Waterdog)

Full Suspension bikes:
    Confirmed:
    1 Med-L Ti Titus Rx29
    1 Med RIP9
    1 Med Astrix Monk
    1 Med Ellsworth Epiphany
    1 Med-L Van Dessel
    1 Med Intense spider29
    1 Med Ventana El Rey
    1 Med Lenz Sport Leviathan
    1 Lg Gary Fisher Sugar 293
    1 Med(17.5") Custom Curtlo with Ventana rear sus!!!

Other:
    1 ~17" Chumba XCR (stiff as it gets for a frame, climbs so dang well with that $$$ shock)

Unconfirmed:
    1 Soulcraft custom ~18" (3x9) Reba
    1 GF Rig
    1 GF Supercalibre or other?
    1 Any Salsa products?

Folks, what did I forget?
    (I'm still working out the 29er tire demo, nothing fancy other than I'll have a pile of tires that you'll have access to and mount/dismount yerself)

Still need help with:
    Loaner bikes.
    Bike hauling from Saratoga to Waterdog and back. Bike cable locks.
    A fold up Table ~3x6'
    FC---Do you have the make shift bar/bike stand that MTBR uses at SeaOtter?
    Beverage Sponsor
    Swag!!!
    Last edited by rensho; 01-12-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: wrong date

Let's ride

Directions and maps

Waterdog and parking:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr

2692 Carlmont Dr, Belmont, CA 94002

At the Carlmont Drive dead end is a parking lot and a great entrance to the park. We'll party hardy there.

Quick food break: (You're on your own. I'm getting food to go and eat/lounge at PTB)
    http://www.guadgrill.com/guadLocation.htm

Passion Trail Bikes:
    I think there was mention of a keg and esspresso maker. We can kick in some $$ for beer and beans. This is a great shop, and a great place to lounge.
    http://passiontrailbikes.com/

Directions to shop are within the link. Take a look. Don't use The Force trying to get yourself there, it will suck and the Deathstar won't blow up and there won't be any ceremony with Princess Cinnamon Buns.

Someone can help with better formatting of the directions and links.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rensho; 01-11-2007 at 04:23 PM.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Saved
    There's a back entrance to the place at the bottom of 'Elevator trail'. It's got a decent sized parking lot. That should be the meeting spot.

Anyone have a map and directions of that?

fc
    IPA will save America

aka baycat
    Sounds great, test out some goodies!

Is there anything I can help with?

Thanks for being so considerate Tom

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    There's a back entrance to the place at the bottom of 'Elevator trail'. It's got a decent sized parking lot. That should be the meeting spot.

Anyone have a map and directions of that?

fc
    Once i get that specific location, i'll put it into the directions. thx.

mtbr member
    d'oh, I thought this was gonna happen monday.. Sunday morning I am planning to pick up and install a hitch (a wee bit late), then an afternoon ride. Maybe I will join the festivities late.

btw, that voodoo has a rigid surly fork on it (my personal mechanic wouldn't shove a pike upper into the reba lowers )

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    d'oh, I thought this was gonna happen monday.. Sunday morning I am planning to pick up and install a hitch (a wee bit late), then an afternoon ride. Maybe I will join the festivities late.

btw, that voodoo has a rigid surly fork on it (my personal mechanic wouldn't shove a pike upper into the reba lowers )
    Bring the Subby by, I install hitches.

Curse you Coe!
    Apr 2005
    Please edit Thread title "Sunday 1/13/07"... this shindig is goin down Sunday 1/14 right (not Saturday 1/13)?

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by wddung
    Please edit Thread title "Sunday 1/13/07"... this shindig is goin down Sunday 1/14 right (not Saturday 1/13)?
    How is it that I get that stuff wrong? I'm looking at the darn calendar. thx.

fc
    Waterdog:
    I'm not sure about parking, so someone edumacate me please.
    Here it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr

2692 Carlmont Dr, Belmont, CA 94002

At the Carlmont Drive dead end is a parking lot and a a great entrance to the park. We'll party hardy there.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Would love to

come down there and show you boys how to ride those things....we'll see if all my parts are working by then...
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    come down there and show you boys how to ride those things....we'll see if all my parts are working by then...
    I've seen you 'fly' on the 29ers.

Love to have you BB. Did we say there was beer on tap?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    yah, how's the damage big boy?

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    We'll add this Chumba bike to the test fleet since I have to return it on Monday.

Everyone who test rides should commit to helping clean the bikes either at the lot or at Passion Trail Bikes. They have to come back sparkling! Otherwise, Rensho will have to scrub a heckalotof bikes.

francois

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Just some bruises...

from my lil crash but my left knee has been acting up for some reason....need to let it calm down...although doing some tame laps at WDog might be doable. I'll make the call at the last minute.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Let's ride
    We'll add this Chumba bike to the test fleet since I have to return it on Monday.

Everyone who test rides should commit to helping clean the bikes either at the lot or at Passion Trail Bikes. They have to come back sparkling! Otherwise, Rensho will have to scrub a heckalotof bikes.

francois

fc

What the heck is that thing? Looks like a 32# XC bike with 22" wheels.
    We'll bring it along. Actually a good bike for the park. This is also a nice opportunity to try bikes like SS, and rigid.

Oh, and is there any budget left? I was hoping to hire the Hooters bikini carwash gals to wash the bikes.
    Last edited by rensho; 01-10-2007 at 03:16 PM.

bike dork extraordinaire
    Tom,

I can help ferry bikes back and forth if you need it. My hitch will carry up to four at a time.

I'd also be willing to add my Gary Fisher 293 (size large) and Raleigh XXIX (size medium) to the test fleet.

Alex

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    Tom,

I can help ferry bikes back and forth if you need it. My hitch will carry up to four at a time.

I'd also be willing to add my Gary Fisher 293 (size large) and Raleigh XXIX (size medium) to the test fleet.

Alex

Alex, thanks! You're coming through with the bikes that we didn't expect to find in the demo. So cool.
    Where have you been man, we haven't ridden with you for a while.

bike dork extraordinaire
    Alex, thanks! You're coming through with the bikes that we didn't expect to find in the demo. So cool.
    Where have you been man, we haven't ridden with you for a while.
    Got married at the end of November and went on a brief honeymoon over the holidays.

Hasn't kept me totally off the bike, but it did provide for a bit of a distraction from the riding schedule.

Should I just meet you guys at Waterdog, or should I swing by your or Francis' place to pick up a couple more bikes and then head over? Just let me know.

Let's ride
    Uhhhhh, we're at 17 bikes...

Sir Kramer, congrats man! Can't wait to hear about it.
    Drop by FC's at 8:30ish and we'll load 2 more if you don't mind.

VRC Illuminati
    Rensho, I'll still have the Van Dessel at that point unless I give it back to you after our Saturday Jones ride. I'm hoping to snag FC's Nomad for Sunday as we'll be Santa Cruz bound.

Hopefully it all falls into place correctly. I don't want to wrench up your test day at the Dog.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

jrm
    mtbr member

That SIR 9

can i raise you a curtlo...

Let's ride
    JRM, showing the Norcal crew some love!

Let's see some pics of that beauty. What size? How long have you waited for that thing; seems like eons?
    Last edited by rensho; 01-10-2007 at 06:43 PM.

bike dork extraordinaire
    Uhhhhh, we're at 17 bikes...

Sir Kramer, congrats man! Can't wait to hear about it.
    Drop by FC's at 8:30ish and we'll load 2 more if you don't mind.

No problem. I'll be there.

Could you PM me with directions to FC's place? I've actually never been to the Ultralord's Manor...

jrm
    mtbr member

Well..

JRM, showing the Norcal crew some love!

Let's see some pics of that beauty. What size? How long have you waited for that thing; seems like eons?

I dont have any pics of the bike in its 2nd revision. I havent ridden it since the 2nd revision due to sickness.

The geometry is 17/5" ST, 23.5 EFF, 73.5SA, 71HA, SO 28.7, WB TBD,

I waited a llloooooonnnnnggggggggg ttttttiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmeeeeeee

mtbr member
    Wow... my neck of the woods. I really should attend but I know to get on one of these bikes would torment me to no end. If I don't get committed to family duties on Sunday all day, I'll show up at the parking lot.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    Wow... my neck of the woods. I really should attend but I know to get on one of these bikes would torment me to no end. If I don't get committed to family duties on Sunday all day, I'll show up at the parking lot.
    See this is the wrong frame of mind...

Commit to the ride and your other busy-errands will go away. It's a subtle mindset change but important. We need Waterdog guides btw.

It's right by your house, you can ride your own bike, you haven't met most of us, you can leave after 2 hours, etc. etc.

Oh yah. bring a heater. Brrr....

fc
    IPA will save America

It's always greener
    Boy, you guys are killing me here...literally right around the corner from me, I'm in the market for a 29er FS, and you're going to hang out and drink espresso (and beer) at my favorite bike shop afterwords...brutal.

YET, I made plans in Santa Cruz for Sunday...me and the Soulcraft are out...ugh.

You guys are going to have a blast...I'm jealous. Just make sure you can get up Finch trail dab-free, good test for 29er agility as well as rider skill.
    Last edited by Cannonhead; 01-11-2007 at 11:53 AM.

dis member

Clean up at Passion

Francis

I plan on setting up a couple of repair stands in the parking lot at Passion, and will donate some Bike Lust, rags, and brushes to anyone that wants to clean thier bikes here. The big Kegorator is stocked with Silcon Blond and Full Boar Scotch Ale. R2D2 has the remains of a small batch, award winning IPA. That stuff needs to go.

We might provide snacks for post ride, or just plan on watching tipsy, tired, low blood sugared mountain bikers stumble about the place. Haven't decided yet.

Also, I am leaving Los Altos around 10:00 Sunday morning and heading down to Passion. Let me know if I can assist with shuttling bikes to either Passion or Waterdog from Saratoga or elsewhere.

Charles

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by backpedal
    Francis

I plan on setting up a couple of repair stands in the parking lot at Passion, and will donate some Bike Lust, rags, and brushes to anyone that wants to clean thier bikes here. The big Kegorator is stocked with Silcon Blond and Full Boar Scotch Ale. R2D2 has the remains of a small batch, award winning IPA. That stuff needs to go.

We might provide snacks for post ride, or just plan on watching tipsy, tired, low blood sugared mountain bikers stumble about the place. Haven't decided yet.

Also, I am leaving Los Altos around 10:00 Sunday morning and heading down to Passion. Let me know if I can assist with shuttling bikes to either Passion or Waterdog from Saratoga or elsewhere.

Charles
    Very nice Charles!!!

Can you give suggestions on a Burrito place or two. I think the best idea is for folks to pick up something on the way to your place.

fc
    IPA will save America

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonhead
    Boy, you guys are killing me here...literally right around the corner from me, I'm in the market for a 29er FS, and you're going to hang out and drink espresso (and beer) at my favorite bike shop afterwords...brutal.

YET, I made plans in Santa Cruz for Sunday...me and the Soulcraft are out...ugh.

You guys are going to have a blast...I'm jealous. Just make sure you can get up Rambler trail dab-free, good test for 29er agility as well as rider skill.

Can't you watch football any other time? There is Tivo.

You and your bike will be missed. We were looking to you for a lesson on getting up Rambler trail.

Come to the ride and then leave for watching the game after. ???

dis member

Guadalajara Grill

<Very nice Charles!!!>

<Can you give suggestions on a Burrito place or two. I think the best idea is for folks to> <pick up something on the way to your place.>

http://www.guadgrill.com/

19 Laurie Meadows Drive
    (Laurie Meadows
    Shopping Center)
    (Laurie Meadows & Pacific)
    San Mateo, CA

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by backpedal
    http://www.guadgrill.com/

19 Laurie Meadows Drive
    (Laurie Meadows Shopping Center)
    (Laurie Meadows & Pacific)
    San Mateo, CA
    I second this. Note, you drive past Passion to get to this place. Go up Old County to the next traffic light, and it is in the shopping center off to your right, next to the 7 Eleven.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

Bomber
    As a passion trail underling who unfortunately made plans for this weekend prior to knowledge of this demo I will chip in too suggest a second burrito joint right across the street from devil's canyon brewery (who stock our kegerator). Its called las mattates, located on harbor, right near the 101 on/off ramp. Have fun!!! on a second note, lorenzo's is a great sandwhich shop right off of ralston next to the shoe cobbler (whom you can see from ralston and the cmont shopping center.

mtbr member

I'll be there

Cool, I decided that enough snow hasn't fallen in Tahoe to tempt me this weekend. So I should be there (probably closer to noon than 10am) with another big wheeler, 21" On-One Inbred 29er w/ Reba.

fc
    ATTENTION ATTENDEES:

Carlmont lot has limited parking. So carpool as much as possible.

Also, that is a quiet, residential street with lil kids. Drive slowwwly.

francois
    IPA will save America

Let's ride
    For folks that are looking to try bikes, make sure you continue to look at the bike list. I'm keeping constant updates on it, as it continues to grow and shrink. I don't want you to show up looking for a specific bike/size, and have it not be there.

We're up to 20 confirmed bikes btw!!!!

dis member

Carpool Parking

Feel free to park at Passion and carpool or ride up to the park. We have plenty of parking in comparison, and want to impact Waterdog's neighbors as little as possible. This is sure to be great event, and we will want to be able to repeat it.

Ride time to Waterdog from Passion is about 10 minutes, drive time is about the same, and I will have printed maps here.

mtbr member
    Never been to Waterdog. Is it pretty easy to navigate? Maybe some copies of a map could be available?

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Never been to Waterdog. Is it pretty easy to navigate? Maybe some copies of a map could be available?
    There is a printable PDF mas of the park at http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/waterdog.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

Binford Specialist

Oh! My?

Camping Chair? Are you kidding me? Who has time to sit their arse down with all those bikes on hand. You have 20 chairs so far any way.

I do not understand the avoidance here. Some people will drive out of state for hours at a time to see this many or less of bikes, but when their in there own back yard no can do? I find this very odd. Or it could be a sing that the 29er revolution has taking over the Bay already. I am late for class again. I may have to change that.

My goal will be to take care of all the Hard tails.
    The climbs were greuling, never-ending sets of false summits and soul-crushing walls.

Code Monkey

Good job! Roaring Success!!

Look at that line up! Pretty good show for a spur-of-the-moment event. I'm definitely sold on the Sir9 SS ... gonna git me one. Thanks Jeff for letting me try yours.

Our plans to meet at Passion *and* clean the bikes didn't pan out too well. The beer was too tastey

more pics here ...
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery....&what=keywords
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Look at that line up! Pretty good show for a spur-of-the-moment event. I'm definitely sold on the Sir9 SS ... gonna git me one. Thanks Jeff for letting me try yours.

Our plans to meet at Passion *and* clean the bikes didn't pan out too well. The beer was too tastey

more pics here ...
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery....&what=keywords

That's pretty impressive!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Great grass roots event! Big thanks to Thomas, Francis, and anyone else who helped organize the event. It was good to see alot of familiar faces and everyone having a good time on the "big wheels". And thanks again to Passion Trail bikes for hosting us afterward with plenty of cold beer on tap And for those that were concerned, I'm fully recovered from my burrito coma...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MikeG]Look at that line up! Pretty good show for a spur-of-the-moment event. I'm definitely sold on the Sir9 SS ... gonna git me one. Thanks Jeff for letting me try yours.

Carmen and I had a great time today seeing all the 29ers and the good people from mtbr Norcal, never knew we had a gem of a place like Waterdog so close by.

Mike thanks for all the cool pics and I'm glad you like the bike and a BIG to the crew at Passion for hosting a great party afterword.

-Jeff

Uncle

S.O.T. -- 29er tire preference for NorCal?

I searched the posts, expecting that this had been covered, but couldn't find much.

29er riders, what's your choice of tire for this area? I ride XC mostly (Tam, 'rancho, JMP, Annadel, etc.), and I'm building up a KM (retaining the option for a squishy fork) in the near future. What's working well for you?

Thanks.
    105mm
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

fc
    Sometimes, things just go perfect. With the right people and the right attitude we were blessed with the perfect riding day.

It could have been a no-show ride on a small park on a cold day. Instead we had over 20 people, cookies, heaters, bagels, brew, esspresso maker and some FINE riding.

We had hours and hours of fun sharing goodies all day. Plus we capped it off with a fine party with Charles, Berry and Patty at Passion Trail Bikes. That brew was amazing! Happy 40th Sven.

francois

p.s. Everybody post a review at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/29er/
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sometimes, things just go perfect. With the right people and the right attitude we were blessed with the perfect riding day.

It could have been a no-show ride on a small park on a cold day. Instead we had over 20 people, cookies, heaters, bagels, brew, esspresso maker and some FINE riding.

We had hours and hours of fun sharing goodies all day. Plus we capped it off with a fine party with Charles, Berry and Patty at Passion Trail Bikes. That brew was amazing! Happy 40th Sven.

francois

~kicks can~

I was the dude in pants walking around with a little girl. Ended up eating lunch in Pescadero with the rest of the family... could have been worse.

Glad it went well!!
    ~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

aka dan51
    Damn, I missed out.

Internal server error.
    Guess it didn't like what I wrote, or everyone is busy posting reviews.

Paper or plastic?

When do we do a 5" FS shoot out?

It looks like I missed a good day yesterday. But what about a 26" 5" FS shoot out? That's the sweet spot of the market. I can contribute my weight weenie Motolite, who wants to bring their 5-Spot, Epiphany, etc?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast