mtbr dismember

No drinking water at Spooner Lake anymore

Yesterday I took another person on the Mt. Rose down Van Sickle ride. I told him there was water at Spooner Lake. However, the fountain and pump were shut off. Fortunately I brought some extra and he needed it at about mile 36. The climb from Kingsbury Grade to the top of Van sickle is only 1.75 miles, about half what I thought it was. So just keep pushing and you'll get there. Gale force winds on the Kingsbury Bench knocked me off my bike so we didn't stick around up there. Otherwise perfect day.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 06-14-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Over the Hill
    Reading your tittle I thought the lake was dry. You don't carry a water filter? Lots of opportunities to filter water in Tahoe.

mtbr dismember

No and depends on the route

Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    ..You don't carry a water filter? Lots of opportunities to filter water in Tahoe.
    I don't carry a filter because I always have plenty of water and I don't like stopping that long. Without the Spooner Lake pump the next water on this route is at mile 36, by which time it is too late for most people because they never take me seriously when I tell them to bring lots of water. This guy didn't but I had plenty for him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had the same problem when I went through there a week ago. Fortunately, we were able to buy water from that shuttle service that runs out of Spooner. If you look at my ride, you can see where their circular hut is right off the Spooner parking lot. For what it's worth, the guy working at the shuttle service said the water "hadn't been turned on yet".

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | TRT - Rose to Van Sickle near New Washoe City | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I also ran into this problem last weekend, remember you can get water at the hand pump at the campground above Marlette lake. I ended up pretty screwed as I didn't find out about this until my return leg of Rose to Kingsbury and back. I was out of water coming back into Spooner and had to ride all the way up to the hand pump dry. I paid for that the next day.....I had Iodine tablets but thought I would rather be dehydrated than have my stomach be wrecked for a few days, not sure that was a wise decision. I usually have a filter but broke it ( my second in as many years) on my last big ride. I can fill my camelback in under 3 minutes with one of these, CamelBak | HYDROLINK FILTER ADAPTER Attach a Filter to Your Reservoir so it's not really all that much of a time sink, plus the filter only weighs 200 grams, a lot less than carrying a ton of extra water. The quick connect makes it much easier since you don't have to pull the bladder, which can be a pain in the ass if you've got a bunch of stuff in your pack. Not sure when it will be back on, the Gal I talked to didn't have a date.
    Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

Dropshot Champ!
    They said it wasn't turned on but would be in a week...

for reference, this was over a month ago. Bastards

mtbr member
    Do you guys have any recommendations for water filters?

mtbr member
    Good info. A source of water being gone is important.

A thread on water filters would be good.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sawyer Squeeze or a Lifestraw both are light enough to put in your pack for a long ride. Aquamira water treatment drops are also another light option that use chlorine dioxide (not pool chlorine).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've hiked southern Sierras with the SteriPen for years, its UV light filter, works very well and small lightweight. Lifestraw and Aqaumira are my backup as well.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got one of these to carry but havent used it yet: Sawyer MINI Water Filter | Sawyer I got an extra quick connect for my hydration system on one end you just fill the bag and squeeze through the filter into the reservoir.