mtb'er

Wink No bicycles allowed... but dirt bikes are fine!

This was an odd sight to see on my ride yesterday...

mtbr member

No bicycles allowed... but dirt bikes are fine!

Were they looking for you?

enjoying the scenery
    That's a steep drop they are approaching. EB, You are in my backyard. I have seen dirt bike patrols in Shell Ridge (city), but this is EBRP. Must be fun for them I figure.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

eBiker
    Locally, we have "no humans - open space preserve" and they keep the weeds down with 200+ sheep fenced in a couple hundred yards at a time :-/

Redefines "goat trail"

P

mtbr member
    Looks like fun. Do they have a job opening?

The upside of being a cop is speeding with the lights on, riding where you legall can't, maybe fly in a helicopter. Oh yea, help the public. Not enough time to type up the downside, starting with getting shot.

mtb'er
    I was riding from Shell Ridge to Diablo and stopped at this trail to look at my map and get my bearings when I heard the motos coming from the south. They stopped by the Stonegate Trail and were discussing where to go. I had no idea they were cops and was thinking "these guys have balls!" So naturally, I snapped a photo:

Then they cruised up towards me and I saw they were the police... and here I was eyeballing a no-bikes trail We said "hi" and they still seemed to be discussing route options.

Then the guy closest to me see's this sign and says (in a truly friendly tone): "You weren't going on that trail, were you?"

I said, "I was thinking about it, since I'm on a mountain bike and that trail doesn't allow road bikes, but I don't think that trail will get me to Mt. Diablo."

The cop looked at the sign again and laughed, "Hey you're right! That defense might actually hold up in court!" We laughed about it and then they went on their merry way...

They seemed to be exploring more than anything. I don't think they were looking for a missing person or were trying to find illegal mt. bikers. I think if I had actually been caught on that trail, they wouldn't have cared... but I'm glad I didn't find out.

mtbr member
    Pot patrol no doubt.

mtbr member
    LOL on the "drop bar road bike" defense. Cops often enjoy a good joke.

I did a ride along several years ago. The first thing we did was check out the main streets to make sure there were no surprises so if he was going fast to a call, such as flying around a corner and finding a road being torn up that day.

They were probably issued bikes and told to get familiar with the area, just in case they get a call.

I wonder if they do "ride alongs"? I have a dirt bike.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

Then the guy closest to me see's this sign and says (in a truly friendly tone): "You weren't going on that trail, were you?"

I said, "I was thinking about it, since I'm on a mountain bike and that trail doesn't allow road bikes, but I don't think that trail will get me to Mt. Diablo."

The cop looked at the sign again and laughed, "Hey you're right! That defense might actually hold up in court!" We laughed about it and then they went on their merry way...
    LOL! Classic. Well played.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

Cheesiest
    Looks like some well-equipped KLRs. Those are fun bikes to ride!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    I've seen Oakland PD on bikes similar to those in JMP from time to time over the years.... But I don't think they go down the single track trails though
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Yep, I've been seeing those guys recently as well in the foot hills and las trampas...its amazing what the budget gets spent on.

Actually I think they are patrolling and you would have been warned or ticketed.

It will end soon enough when a equestrian rider gets ejected as the moto comes down the narrow trail...

Total ********, should have spent the money on building more trails...

Lets see what do we patrol Dick? Well Larry The Sunset Trail on Strava has 100 rides in the last 2 days....perfect...braaap
    Last edited by RipRoar; 05-13-2013 at 11:13 PM.

mtb'er
    I did HAB up that ridiculously steep trail at the end of the day, and there was a nice, big 30' long skid mark from a fat moto tire going right down the pipe. Need to teach those guys to "ride it, don't slide it"

jrm
    mtbr member
    I guess the helicopter patrol deemed too expensive.

"Under the command of the Operations Division, the Special Enforcement Unit applies intensive enforcement efforts on significant policing issues that occur in District parklands. This unit utilizes a variety of methods and tools to carry out its mission, including the use of off-road vehicles and motorcycles, bicycles and foot patrol. Officers often change their patrol routines to provide the best enforcement options needed to address the identified problems.

Members of the Special Enforcement Unit work as a team to provide added investigative support for the Investigations Unit in high profile criminal cases. Additionally, officers are assigned to public special events within the District where they provide security and crime prevention functions"

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys