mtbr member

Night riding in the Sacramento area?

Where do you local Sacramento area riders go to ride at night?

I used to work 6am to 2pm, so I never had to worry about riding at night. But, for the next 6 weeks my work schedule has changed to 8:30am to 5pm. I don't want to gain any more weight or loose any more fitness than I already have in the last 2 weeks due to the Holidays and the time change.

I'm pretty sure that Auburn is legal for night riding. Am I correct?
    How about Salmon Falls?

The easiest and closest way for me to get a ride in after work has been the American River Bike Trail. It's just 5 minutes from my office. I have noticed near dusk, that some riders have lights. Is it legal to ride the American River Parkway after sunset?

Thanks in advance or any and all suggestions.

another bozo on the bus
    Watch out for the "wildlife" on the American River around dusk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm pretty sure it's legal to tride the ART after dusk. It's a popular commuter route, I've ridden it at night and not had any issues.

Salmon Falls, not sure if it is legal, but there are hardly rangers out there as is, can't imagine there be any at night.

I know buddies who run night shuttles at Auburn weekly, and they haven't run into any problems.

So, I can't tell if if it is legal, but from what I have experienced, those three places seem pretty good.

feeling squirrelly
    The Folsom Breakouts meet every Tuesday night at 6pm in Old Folsom at the parking lot across from Bikes Plus (where the new parking structure is going up). Avg group size is any where from 20 - 40 peeps, ride usually naturally breaks up into groups based on skill/fitness level. We ride 3 different loops in Folsom area on a rotating basis, ride varies from 1 - 2+ hours depending on the loop. Bring a light. Loads of fun, super friendly and pizza and beer after for $12!! Can't beat that!

mtbr member

MTB or Road Bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by badjenny
    The Folsom Breakouts meet every Tuesday night at 6pm in Old Folsom at the parking lot across from Bikes Plus (where the new parking structure is going up). Avg group size is any where from 20 - 40 peeps, ride usually naturally breaks up into groups based on skill/fitness level. We ride 3 different loops in Folsom area on a rotating basis, ride varies from 1 - 2+ hours depending on the loop. Bring a light. Loads of fun, super friendly and pizza and beer after for $12!! Can't beat that!
    Is this an offroad mountain bike ride, or a road bike ride? I only have 1 working bike, a MTB.

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member

Breakout Ride

The breakouts are a MTB ride. they are fun and are no drop. There is always someone about your speed no matter how fast or slow you are. I hit them up every now and again.

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    Is this an offroad mountain bike ride, or a road bike ride? I only have 1 working bike, a MTB.

Thanks for the info!
    Like Darth said, mountain bike only. What's a road bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Trip, never realised Bikes Plus moved. Used to be @ Auburn Folsom and Greenback. Rain or shine every Tuesday? Would love to get out for some night rides.

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by ricthedick
    Trip, never realised Bikes Plus moved. Used to be @ Auburn Folsom and Greenback. Rain or shine every Tuesday? Would love to get out for some night rides.
    Haven't they always been at that location in Old Folsom, next to Q'bole (used to be Chevy's). They are right off the bike trail, next to the bridge just before you get to Greenback. Same location?

And yes, rain or shine year round.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They used to be on the other side of the river in the shopping center adjacent to the 76 gas station. Bought my first bike there in '93. May be mistaken on the location though. See you Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ya, they used to be on the other side of the river. I bought a Cannondale frame from them ~1995 at their old location.

Last summer a friend and I rode Twin Rocks late, and were hanging out at the point at ~11pm when a ranger came driving through shining her spotlight and announcing the park was closed over a loudspeaker, and everyone out. Dunno if it is legal to be riding there after the park is closed -- we didn't poke our heads up to ask.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna buy a lamp/light ASAP!!!
    i wanna ride at night with ya'll
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member

night time

the folsom breakouts are a good group to hook up with and probably the most realiable regular night ride going on.

it is my understanding that most or all of the stuff around the lake including salmon falls is closed at sunset. riding in Granite Bay at night seems to be a big nono. dyke 8 and browns ravine area seems to be a safer bet.

The Auburn State Rec Area is closed at Sunset as well but night riding has always been allowed. Some of the best trails are not available during the day but wide open at night.

I believe that Bicycle Emporium in Auburn has some sort of organized ride once a week but I do not know the day or time.

My night rides lately, have been at the home track but Tuesday nights I am available to ride anywhere. Whats up tonight Chris? You riding?
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    the folsom breakouts are a good group to hook up with and probably the most realiable regular night ride going on.

it is my understanding that most or all of the stuff around the lake including salmon falls is closed at sunset. riding in Granite Bay at night seems to be a big nono. dyke 8 and browns ravine area seems to be a safer bet.

The Auburn State Rec Area is closed at Sunset as well but night riding has always been allowed. Some of the best trails are not available during the day but wide open at night.

I believe that Bicycle Emporium in Auburn has some sort of organized ride once a week but I do not know the day or time.

My night rides lately, have been at the home track but Tuesday nights I am available to ride anywhere. Whats up tonight Chris? You riding?
    I'm just gonna hit the American River Bike Trail and try to get in a 2 hour ride. Plan to head up to Beals Pt. Gotta run...gonna be late to work!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    dyke 8 and browns ravine area seems to be a safer bet.
    I would watch that cuz last time i rode out there at around 8 pm a couple rangers where waiting for me by the time i got to browns ravine. I avoided them by jumping in the lake bed area but they looked for me for atleast 30 minutes, patroling the grounds back and forth. there are signs saying park closed at 7 pm so wouldn't that be a trespassing violation? thats mucho $$ but that was the only problem i had with those trails at night. so one night of excitment out of about 20 rides, not too bad i guess.

Elliot, performance has lights on sale right now if you want to get some. they have a nice set for $120.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedfatty

Elliot, performance has lights on sale right now if you want to get some. they have a nice set for $120.
    im trying to hold out til xmas, maybe santa will bring some light to my bike at night
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Park Hours:
    -According to State Parks, the ART is "closed" after 7pm east of Hazel Bridge. But I've never experienced rangers busting people riding on the paved trail. Ride at your own risk.
    -Granite Bay trails are "closed" after 7pm and rangers absolutely are on the lookout. Ride at your own risk.
    -Dyke 8 to Browns Ravine is "closed" after 7pm, but as long as you don't go to the paved part by the guard station at Browns Ravine proper, you shouldn't be hassled. Rangers are not known to chase you down the trail.
    -Beyond (east) of Browns Ravine is illegal to ride anytime, but great for night riding in this writers opinion. It's a bust either way if you're caught, but not patrolled at night as far as I know (8 years running). Ride at your own risk.
    -The Lake Natoma loop is fun and fast with some challenging section on the north side of the lake, but all those trails are illegal and rangers have been on the lookout lately. Ride at your own risk.
    -Salmon Falls is technically closed after 7pm, but I'd be shocked if rangers patrolled. Your vehicle, however, may not be safe due to the ongoing break-ins.

Doesn't all this make you say "Goddamn! I just want to ride my bike when I get off work! Don't taze me bro!"

Folsom Breakouts:
    -what everyone else said... good group and can show you the goods that make easy trails more fun/challenging.
    -However, if you plan on showing up tonight (12/11), nobody will be in the parking lot cause we're doing our annual "ride of lights", leaving from a guy's house. We stay off dirt on this one and visit all the crazy decorated houses in Orangevale while trying not to drink too much. Regular ride schedule next week.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Aren't we glad to live in the land of the "Free!" ????

Pathetic.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    East of browns ravine is safest bet cuz there is no where a ranger can get you. park here and ride down to the trail. This is the easiest way to get to it without the hassle of the rangers. drive to the end of Vista Mar Drive and park by the lyons sign. there is a trail to the main east trail that takes you to salmon falls bridge if thats how far you wanna go. Im thinking of doing this instead of dyke 8 to browns to sweetwater. so far i have parked here about 10-15 times and not one hassle from rangers or local popos.

Pic of "trailhead" - park at end of street and have fun!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    or talk to Edizzle cuz his backyard is the trail :-D

mtbr member
    We have rides that leave from Folsom on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Tuesday nights run a couple different routes, Granite Bay, Natomas Loop, etc.. Wednesday night is "Hump Day Wednesdays", with five brutal hill climbs on an 11 mile loop. Our group is loosely based off of the Bayside Adventure Sports mountain bike club. Ride groups vary from 10 - 20 riders.
    If you want to get on the e-mail list, PM me your contact info.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    We have rides that leave from Folsom on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Tuesday nights run a couple different routes, Granite Bay, Natomas Loop, etc.. Wednesday night is "Hump Day Wednesdays", with five brutal hill climbs on an 11 mile loop. Our group is loosely based off of the Bayside Adventure Sports mountain bike club. Ride groups vary from 10 - 20 riders.
    If you want to get on the e-mail list, PM me your contact info.

What he said.