mtbr member

Night Riding Near Los Gatos

Is there any good and preferably legal places to night ride near Los Gatos? I don't really want to be a ****** to the residents around Kennedy and El Sereno plus I hear tickets are bank but I'd like to ride at night. Thoughts ? Ideas ? Do the rangers really patrol at night? Is it considered "uncool" in the MTB world?

mtbr member
    Not uncool but not legal. The only good legal night riding around here is Mission peak in Fremont. I can't really answer your other questions in a public forum.
    Peaut butter Tuesday, if you kow what I mea!

mtbr member
    Just go out and ride wherever you want whenever you want. You're on a bike so there's about a 100% chance that the neighbors will never hear or see you. Tickets are bank but you just gotta learn the schedule of the rangers. A police scanner and knowing the frequencies for MidPenn helps too.

mtbr member
    Really why bother riding boring mid penn stuff at night, if your gonna take a chance on getting busted, might as well make it more interesting.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Really why bother riding boring mid penn stuff at night, if your gonna take a chance on getting busted, might as well make it more interesting.
    Because a lot of Midpenn lands have the rad illegal downhills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    A police scanner and knowing the frequencies for MidPenn helps too.
    Best $90 I ever spent.

Fortunately, most of the agencies don't have the bucks to buy the Motorola Digital System, which encrypts the convos; only SJPD narcotics use those units, AFAIK, around here. Which makes me wonder why MidPen doesn't have them, as they seem to get new Ford trucks every two weeks and can outfit rangers with radar detectors and have high enough staffing levels to have two to four rangers sitting around their fat trucks at the bottom of Canyon Trail in Montebello for hours on end just to catch a measly speeding biker or two.

They obviously got their engorged public agency training from the Santa Clara Valley Water District.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I saw about 6 riders at night with a ton of lights on riding towards Lexington on the bike path between Cats and the first overpass in town a few months ago. I was jealous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Best $90 I ever spent.
    They obviously got their engorged public agency training from the Santa Clara Valley Water District.
    Funny you should mention the Water District in this thread. There is some excellent night riding on some of "their" (our?) lands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWorship View Post
    Funny you should mention the Water District in this thread. There is some excellent night riding on some of "their" (our?) lands.
    Not to mention the San Jose Water Company, which maintains miles and miles of killer fire road in the Lexington Reservoir basin and beyond.

In Santa Clara County if it isn't private or MidPen, it's probably SJWC.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian View Post
    Not to mention the San Jose Water Company, which maintains miles and miles of killer fire road in the Lexington Reservoir basin and beyond.

In Santa Clara County if it isn't private or MidPen, it's probably SJWC.
    Agree! Lake Elsman, above Lexington, and those sweet, sweet trails climbing skyward!
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois