Thread: Night Riding

mtbr member

Night Riding

Some tips now that it gets dark at 5pm! According to this video I pretty much do everything wrong! I ride at twilight, alone at night, etc.

The only easy day was yesterday.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Night riding is awesome. I have a 20 mile loop in the Presidio that's about 35% dirt and perfect on a cross bike. And the headlands are both legal and much more fun at night, when the hikers are replaced by deer and rabbits. Both places are busy enough that I feel safe riding by myself. Other than the jerk skunk who likes to ruin my flow on Old Springs, it's all good.

Formerly dvo
    For now Alpine road above Portola Valley is still legal as long as you get out of the Midpen spaces above by a half hour after sunset, we have a pretty dialed loop that keeps us "mostly" legal.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Where is the best place to night ride legal-ish near San Jose?
    I have nice lights, but almost never use them.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Where is the best place to night ride legal-ish near San Jose?
    I have nice lights, but almost never use them.
    Pleasanton Ridge is open until 10pm as are most of the East Bay Regional Parks
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    Pleasanton Ridge is open until 10pm as are most of the East Bay Regional Parks
    PR currently closes at 4:30.

Know before you go/stop the spread of misinformation:

Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dustedone View Post
    PR currently closes at 4:30.

Know before you go/stop the spread of misinformation:

Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park
    You are wrong on this, Pleasanton Ridge park curfew is 10pm-5am!

Park gates have posted opening and closing times, click on the link you provided and see for yourself. Although gates are opened and closed by park staff at the given times, you are still allowed to enter the park before and after gates are locked.

mtbr member
    Interesting how they didn't mention helmet vs handlebar mounted lights. I have a feeling the preference is unanimous, but I could be wrong. =P

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Interesting how they didn't mention helmet vs handlebar mounted lights. I have a feeling the preference is unanimous, but I could be wrong. =P
    No such thing as unanimous.

Depends....
    - how wide the light beams are
    - how many lights one rides with
    - how tight the trails are or how wide and fast
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    No such thing as unanimous.

Depends....
    - how wide the light beams are
    - how many lights one rides with
    - how tight the trails are or how wide and fast
    Yeah, probably not the best word choice.

Very preferential to helmet-mount because the light illuminates where you look, especially when the pace is fast (irrespective of beam width).

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Cross bike, wide gravel trail, one bar-mounted light (1,000 lumens, triple lamp) is perfect. I'll take the hit on depth perception to have a little less weight on my helmet.

For more adventurous riding, I throw an Urban 800 on my helmet for added depth perception and backup in case my battery conks out early. The Bell 2R GoPro mount is placed *perfectly* for the L&M Urban series - it's balanced so well that the helmet doesn't tip up or down, even over bumps.

I like mtn biking, too
    They forgot the biggest tip about lights: Make sure they're fully charged before heading out, and save your brightest setting for the DH. And if you have an extra, bring it for one of your mates who didn't follow said tip.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Weíre just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Right on cue, here is another night riding video by GMBN. I think they do a great job with their videos, but they definitely reuse the same content over and over. I bet they have like 10 videos on flats vs clips.

mtbr member
    You can ride at Henry Coe all night long, no restrictions. Starting at Hunting Hollow entrance you can ride at least 10 different, very fun loops from 10 to 20 miles in length. You get the whole place to yourself. The biggest hazard would be the occasional skunk that won't yield the trail.

mtbr member
    So here's the obvious question that's probably been answered 1000 times.....what light set up do you guys like?

jct
    mtbr member
    i run a gemini duo on the lid and a LiM Taz 1000 on the bars. good enough for me in Santa Cruz.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

ISO one entry for Grinduro 2017!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i run a gemini duo on the lid and a LiM Taz 1000 on the bars. good enough for me in Santa Cruz.
    How long does the light last on the LiM Taz? I'm looking at the NiteRider and other external battery lights. Worth it for 2 hour rides?

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    How long does the light last on the LiM Taz? I'm looking at the NiteRider and other external battery lights. Worth it for 2 hour rides?
    i've had that light for about 3 years now and it's still going strong. it'll go 2 hrs easy and the new versions of the Taz have more lumens and better battery as well. there's 3 settings and i usually keep on low or medium.....high only for the sustained DH.

i really really like my Duo though. the remote on the handlebar is nice to change b/w the 3 settings and you can also blast a high beam with a push of the button. it's great for flashing down cars when riding home etc.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I havenít been on a night ride in probably ten years...I fall asleep when itís dark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I havenít been on a night ride in probably ten years...I fall asleep when itís dark
    That's not necessarily a good thing!

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^I canít really say whether itís good or bad...Iím fine with it either way

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Serfas TSL 1000 on the bars, battery on the top tube. 1.5 hours at 1000, 3 hours easy if you step down to low on climbs.

L&M Urban 800 on the helmet. Similar burn life.

I have a number of cheap Chinese cree lamps that don't come close to their advertised lumen output - Magicshine 808 is really more like 500 lumens, and BrightEyes 1200 is probably 400. Good on my commuter bike though and I don't worry if someone tries to walk off with the lamp or battery pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So here's the obvious question that's probably been answered 1000 times.....what light set up do you guys like?
    Gemini Titan on the bars and an Olympia on the helmet. Both controlled by the same remote.

Weíve come a long, long way from the Nightsun halogen that I started with in the late 80s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Light and Motion, Glowworm, Gemini. Check out the lighting forum.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/

https://www.rakclighting.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBP View Post
    You are wrong on this, Pleasanton Ridge park curfew is 10pm-5am!

Park gates have posted opening and closing times, click on the link you provided and see for yourself. Although gates are opened and closed by park staff at the given times, you are still allowed to enter the park before and after gates are locked.
    Bingo

mtbr member
    Serfas true 1000 on helmet and the true 1500 on bars.
    Currently waiting for my true 2500 to show up frome Sefas warrenty upgrade from 1500.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha43 View Post
    Serfas true 1000 on helmet and the true 1500 on bars.
    Currently waiting for my true 2500 to show up frome Sefas warrenty upgrade from 1500.
    Sounds like a terrible warranty, the product breaks and they send you a better one. Always nice to see companies take care of their customers.

Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Sounds like a terrible warranty, the product breaks and they send you a better one. Always nice to see companies take care of their customers.

$40 upgrade for a 5 year old unit..........totally bogus!

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Speaking of companies with great warranty departments...

NiteRider is at the top of the list. I put a rear Cherry Bomb light on my seatpost. Of my full-suspension bike. Like the idiot I am, I didn't check clearance at full compression. Hit a jump at speed and rrrrrrrrrriiiiip - the rear tire quickly disassembled the light into its component parts. I fessed up to my stupidity and asked if they had advice on repairing it. No questions asked, they sent me a new one.

L&M is in the running as well. The plastic tab that hooks the light into the mount partially broke on my old Urban 350 (don't get that light for night riding - it's way too dim). Again, no questions asked, they gave me a store credit for the full value and let me use it to upgrade to the 800, plus free shipping.

Knog is...meh...on warranty stuff. They're mostly a commute light company (and the Oi bell is a pretty piece of shit), but they do warranty their stuff within a short period of time after purchase. It comes from Australia though, and on a slow boat at that, so you get to wait 3 weeks to get back up and running.

Haven't had to warranty my Serfas lights, as they (and the battery) are going strong after 3 years (20 night rides/year and used every evening during the PM commute in the winter).

mtbr member
    I think I'm debating between the Gemini Titan and the NiteRider 1800 for bar mount. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I think I'm debating between the Gemini Titan and the NiteRider 1800 for bar mount. Thoughts?
    No experience with the NR 1800. Very happy with the Titan.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Not having personal experience with either light...

My general thinking is you want something that can put out at least 1,000 lumens (actual) and run at least 1.5 hours at that setting, with step-down settings to extend the battery life (while climbing) for longer rides.

Past that, it's a bar mount, so the weight and size of the lamp/battery matter less than for a helmet light. Assuming both meet the above requirements, I'd pick whichever one is less $$$.

I don't think 1800 lumens (or 4000, for the Gemini) is necessary. I'd rather have 1000 on the bars and 500-1000 on my helmet. Two points of light = depth perception.

If you've got $300 to spend on lights, I'd split it and try to find some deals on a bar and helmet light.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    And now having looked at Gemini stuff...

...assuming Gemini is good (lumen claims are valid; battery life is valid; warranty department is good) I'd think about getting two Duo lights and running one on your helmet and one on the bars. About the same price as the Titan, you get 3000 lumens at full burn, depth perception from having one on the helmet, and redundancy (because every so often, shit happens).

For anything short of bombing Braille at night (and you're not doing that...right?) 3000 lumens is plenty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    And now having looked at Gemini stuff...

...assuming Gemini is good (lumen claims are valid; battery life is valid; warranty department is good) I'd think about getting two Duo lights and running one on your helmet and one on the bars. About the same price as the Titan, you get 3000 lumens at full burn, depth perception from having one on the helmet, and redundancy (because every so often, shit happens).

For anything short of bombing Braille at night (and you're not doing that...right?) 3000 lumens is plenty.
    Great advice! I was thinking the same thing about the Duo.

jct
    mtbr member
    no complaints from my Duo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Running Light and Motion Seca 1800 on the bars and Imjin 800 on the helmet. Works pretty well and carry an extra battery on longer rides. They have the same connector so it makes easy. Run the Seca at 450 on longer climbs and 1800 on fast descents.

mtbr member
    I just do Aliexpress lights. One on the bars with the battery pack velcro'd to the frame, and one on the helmet with the battery dropped into my backpack.

That has worked well for the well trafficked local park that will not be named.

I'd prefer a wider angle and more juice on the bars, but for $20, I can't really complain.

I typically forget to charge the batteries, so the end of the ride is often on one light only.

mtbr member
    I prefer to avoid extra cables and battery packs so I went with Exposure lights and couldn't be happier.
    I run a Reflex Mk2 on the bars, good for 3 hrs on the highest setting which provides 2200 lumens when I need it and a Diablo Mk4 on my helmet. Good for 1100 lumens.
    Exposure lights are ridiculously expensive but also ridiculously high quality.
    Mr_Mojorisen