It's about showing up.

Next Master Plan Meeting in Concord

The second of 6 meetings to give meaningful input on the Master Plan review is in Concord this Tuesday, September 19 from 7-8:30 PM. 2727 Parkside Circle, Concord 94519.

We had a great showing at the Trudeau meeting and the format of the meeting worked for us. We need to keep our presence strong at all of the meetings.This is a great opportunity for us to have a powerful effect.

The Master Plan describes and defines how our parks are used and developed into the future. Currently there is new language to expand the trail system by providing more dedicated and shared-use narrow trails, and more multiple-use paved and unpaved trails. We want to support this and continue to encourage the fair sharing of current trails.

Seecomment #9 here for a description of the Trudeau meeting:

Represent MTB for East Bay Parks This Tuesday Evening In Oakland

Some points to focus communication:

1. Express your support for the proposed change to the Master Plan, indicating the District will provide more dedicated and shared use narrow trails. Itís always important to say good things when appropriate.

2. Ask the Board to add language to the Master Plan indicating a goal to provide more equivalent, narrow-trail experiences for mountain bikers on existing trails as well as new ones. This needs to be done to reflect demographics of the District, which have changed dramatically since the last revision of the Master Plan.

3. Let the Board know that Ordinance 38, which controls trails usage, needs to be changed to eliminate the rule prohibiting bikes on narrow trails, and that this needs to be done soon after the Master Plan is adopted.

4. Ask the Board to continue to encourage more participation from the public in their work, including efforts to prepare this Master Plan. Park users can be intimately involved in implementing policies, to the benefit of all.

If you live on that side of the tunnel, do your best to attend, support each other while you are there, and support the whole mtb community.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mike, this is kind of sad.

You can get two pages of replies for "Beer and Burgers", but few people will take the time to logon to the EBRPD site and log some PRO MTN BIKING comments.

It's forum format, you don't need to compose a long letter. Just say that you support more single track trails, access, and a mtn bike park if you want one.

mtbr member
    I will send my emails this weekend.

It's about showing up.
    This is all about redeveloping advocacy in a world of busy lives. That the general mtb community is not on board is a given, not a shame. Building support in the public is no different for just about any cause you care to think of.

On MTBR we have an opportunity to bring issues forward with enough grist to inform and direct. Pronouncing a need,a goal, an opportunity, and a commonality is just a part of it. I try to make supporting what we do as accessible as possible.

Most of the folks who step forward are already well known to me either in person, by reputation, or through this site.On occasion we get someone new and that is a victory.
    I don't rattle.

enter and win

I'm going.

I'll see you there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm going to try to attend.

It's about showing up.
    Thanks, Doc. It would be great to have you there. I really hope it works for you. My wife is having surgery that day so I will miss it but will make all the others. We will have several other folks from the BTCEB there, though. Let's be certain to make contact with each other in mutual support; that is one of the key functions of sharing this experience.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Remember to wear your jerseys and to talk to the staff while you are there.
    I don't rattle.

Feeling a little taller
    Any chance you can edit? Concord Meeting is on WEDNESDAY, September 19, not Tuesday.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    cr*p! i thought it was tonight, have plans i cannot move tomorrow. i might have to attend one of the other upcoming meetings instead.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    cr*p! i thought it was tonight, have plans i cannot move tomorrow. i might have to attend one of the other upcoming meetings instead.
    Come to the one in Fremont, we'll have a beer afterwards.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i am going to make one of the other ones j-c, just have to put it in the calendar so i don't forget.

It's about showing up.
    Bump. I want reports, too, from thsoe who attend.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Early reports have about 80-100 folks in attendance with about 15 of us. We had some pretty good folks from the BTCEB there and the bonds between us were clear and our relationships with the EBRPD folk were warm. More info as I get it.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.

The Concord Meeting

While I was unable to attend this meeting we were very well represented by some of our top people and supported by many of our riding friends who lived out in that area. Estimates put the overall attendance at about 100 with about 15 or so representing cycling. One of the benefits of having so many of us there is to share our bonds publicly and to feel a part of the advocacy movement as it actually happens. All of you who were there will remember who was in the room.

Reports indicate that the format for the meeting was the same as that used at the Trudeau meeting. In addition it looks as if the dog walking and OHV issues are the focus of the most stress. That is a good thing for us. It removes conflict for what we want to do and allows us to continue to be supportive and gracious.

Another feature noted by attendees is the number of mountain bikers that seem to be working for the EBRPD. Their presence and the growing awareness of the park district of us as a substantial and valued user group is making a big difference.

I wawnt to thank everyone who came out to support us and support each other. I also want to extend a special thank you to Dan'ger who brought his 2 kids to the event. As you know it it takes a little something extra to bring the little ones but the demonstration of the breath of our demographic by that kind of activity is powerful.

Onward to Oakley!
    I don't rattle.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Talked with a couple of the Stewards;

Who were very friendly and receptive to mtn. bike riders. I remember when it was not as warm a reception.

Very small voice of equestrian stance of "keep single track safe for equestrians by not allowing bikes". Only one comment noted actually.
    This is a huge turn around from the meetings I attended 10 years ago.

A fairly strong voice for "more dogs off leash area"

A huge showing for OHV use. They are fighting for expansion of Carnegie.

And now starts my Rant...

Bikes and everyone else should be kept seperate when ever possible.
    I agree we can all get along reasonably safely, but "reasonably safely" is a hard sell with a land management organisation. "Very safely" is the platform we want to push our agenda with.
    Even numbered days for bikes is a very good system used up in Tahoe for their heavily trafficked trails. It would be very easy to implement, requiring only signage at the trail heads.

It's not nirvana, but it's a pretty good compromise. If we could get the speed limit policy changed to "bikes operated in a safe and controlled manner" it would be even better.

Lastly, if we could get a portion of the trail maintenance budget dedicated to building "bike only" single track, the future of east bay riding will get progressively better.