Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New YT Capra

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I don't need a big bike but the bike I had the most fun with was my Titus el guapo. Was a big of a pig but so much fun on the downhill. This looks like the modern version of the EG.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Are you el guapo?
    IPA will save America

huck to flat
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    it's good to get more bike than you need.
    Sure a bigger bike will save you in certain situations but that also instills bad habits, bad technique and line choice. I don't see how that can help a riders progression.

Paper or plastic?
    Are you el guapo?
    That's what she said!

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    Sure a bigger bike will save you in certain situations but that also instills bad habits, bad technique and line choice. I don't see how that can help a riders progression.
    I see your point, but for me, successfully riding techy stuff is as much about confidence as it is about skill. I think the confidence boost from a bigger bike can sometimes help progression.

For example, when I had a hardtail only, there were sections of trail that I thought were beyond my ability and I always walked them. Got a trail bike and rode them without problem, which showed me that these sections really were not all that difficult. Went back and rode them with a hardtail without problems. Similarly, stuff that I once thought I "needed" a mountain bike for, I now ride on a gravel bike.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Kind of like the new Nomad, an awkward bike that's too big/heavy to be a "one" bike and no dual crown fork so not really a dh bike replacement either. I see a fairly narrow range of riding and trails where this is going to be the most fun bike to be on. But if you already have a trail/enduro and a dh bike, and unlimited funds... oh, then you'd prolly just get a Nomad CC.

So, IDK about it being all that compelling and the hype seems undeserved, except for the pricing. I do appreciate the pricing, and hope this might bring things back down to earth a bit. Top brands bikes coming in at $10k-ish is a bit much. I can see getting this just because it's the best bang for the buck, not because it's the best choice possible.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    That's what they said about suspension. Exact, same, words.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    The Capra is engineered for a dual crown - read the review on Pink Bike. The carbon layup is reinforced where the fork bumpers would strike. My 1st gen Capra has proven to be a great all around bike "for NorCal" and the couple of DH and enduro races I do each year ( SOC, Mammoth, and N*). Plus they are sexy.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    Any money involved in promoting this? Anyone who is not a retard should be asking this. I personally hope not.
    "retard"? bruh.......2018. I work for a school district and, well, c'mon now.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Kind of like the new Nomad, an awkward bike that's too big/heavy to be a "one" bike and no dual crown fork so not really a dh bike replacement either. I see a fairly narrow range of riding and trails where this is going to be the most fun bike to be on. But if you already have a trail/enduro and a dh bike, and unlimited funds... oh, then you'd prolly just get a Nomad CC.

So, IDK about it being all that compelling and the hype seems undeserved, except for the pricing. I do appreciate the pricing, and hope this might bring things back down to earth a bit. Top brands bikes coming in at $10k-ish is a bit much. I can see getting this just because it's the best bang for the buck, not because it's the best choice possible.
    This is a lot of bike for Norcal. It will encourage some to pursue illicit trails. And, it will compel some to leave the Bay Area.

But for the category that this bike competes in, it is good.

And Norcal is a big area. And there are a lot of very progressive riders out there. Think Sierras, Downieville, Pinecrest. Man, I'm drooling about this on that new hella rocky Mills Peak trail.

But really, Moab, Oregon, Seattle, the whole British Columbia, Alps, Pyrenees, Madeira, Portugal... I'd hit it. 27 or 29 though?
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    "retard"? bruh.......2018. I work for a school district and, well, c'mon now.
    Reminds me of 'Something About Mary" and Matt Dillon. Clothesline....
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Reminds me of 'Something About Mary" and Matt Dillon. Clothesline....
    Pat Healy: I work with retards.
    Mary Jenson: isn't that a little uhm, politically incorrect.?
    Pat Healy: well heh to hell with that, no ones gonna tell me who i can and cant work with right.?

lol

Ride On!

Read a review on Enduro Magazine where they said that "All CAPRA frames are compatible with dual crown forks but unfortunately, a water bottle cage is still not an option.". Good review, worth a look.

Paper or plastic?
    That's what they said about suspension. Exact, same, words.
    Bigger bike enables average riders to hit bigger stuff with a higher safety margin. Still have to haul it to the top though.

Oh, So Interesting!
    This is a lot of bike for Norcal. It will encourage some to pursue illicit trails. And, it will compel some to leave the Bay Area.

But for the category that this bike competes in, it is good.

And Norcal is a big area. And there are a lot of very progressive riders out there. Think Sierras, Downieville, Pinecrest. Man, I'm drooling about this on that new hella rocky Mills Peak trail.

But really, Moab, Oregon, Seattle, the whole British Columbia, Alps, Pyrenees, Madeira, Portugal... I'd hit it. 27 or 29 though?
    For the category, ok... it's the category I'm questioning the validity of.

I recently got an '18 Trek Slash and simply can't imagine needing another 20mm. I feel like the bike is already at the limit of being too much bike for "normal" trails and it's under 29 lbs. The highest spec Capra is right at 30 lbs, probably for a small 27.5, and it's likely a lot less efficient vs a Slash too.

I also had an '09 Session 88 (sold in '14 after buying a 27.5 Slash) and my '18 Slash is probably better for a vast majority of dh situations. How much more do you need? I just see a tiny little niche for a bike like the Capra and Nomad V4.

IMO the Capra is too much bike for any regular trail in Moab too.

mtbr member
    I've been hearing the "too much travel for the riding around here..." argument from folks ever since I got my first suspension fork (the original Manitou handbuilt by Doug himself and ordered directly from his wife). Personally, in my old age, I like the slack and more travel trend. It saves my ass when I make bad decisions.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I see your point, but for me, successfully riding techy stuff is as much about confidence as it is about skill. I think the confidence boost from a bigger bike can sometimes help progression.

For example, when I had a hardtail only, there were sections of trail that I thought were beyond my ability and I always walked them. Got a trail bike and rode them without problem, which showed me that these sections really were not all that difficult. Went back and rode them with a hardtail without problems. Similarly, stuff that I once thought I "needed" a mountain bike for, I now ride on a gravel bike.
    This sums it up for me. If i have the confidence that the bike is more than capable then I'm more likely to give stuff a try instead of walking it.

Not everyone has the time or drive to become the most skilled rider out there. For me it's about having a bike that will compensate for my mistakes without throwing me over the bars.
    - Jen.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Read a review on Enduro Magazine where they said that "All CAPRA frames are compatible with dual crown forks but unfortunately, a water bottle cage is still not an option.". Good review, worth a look.
    Pinkbike's got some pretty pictures. too.

Formerly of Kent
    For the category, ok... it's the category I'm questioning the validity of.

I recently got an '18 Trek Slash and simply can't imagine needing another 20mm. I feel like the bike is already at the limit of being too much bike for "normal" trails and it's under 29 lbs. The highest spec Capra is right at 30 lbs, probably for a small 27.5, and it's likely a lot less efficient vs a Slash too.

I also had an '09 Session 88 (sold in '14 after buying a 27.5 Slash) and my '18 Slash is probably better for a vast majority of dh situations. How much more do you need? I just see a tiny little niche for a bike like the Capra and Nomad V4.

IMO the Capra is too much bike for any regular trail in Moab too.
    Yep.

I'm wondering where these mystery trails in Moab are that have one desiring a 170mm 29er.

Unless you're shuttling TWE every day, that sounds like a miserable bike for that area. Now, if your "climbs" are 5%, nicely graded fire roads, ok. Otherwise, I imagine people will be getting off and pushing, or riding up Gemini Bridges Road when trying to get back to the Mag 7 trailhead. I'd love to see a picture of FC riding this bike UP Mag 7 or Hymasa (which aren't particularly steep, technical or hard climbs).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    32T chainring/9-46T e-thirteen cassette on all builds, including 29er?!? Not only is e-thirteen mixed reviews, but this gearing is race breed. Average joe will likely need to swap out for 30T chainring at a min, especially on 170mm enduro rig.

No Eagle option is definitely a cost cutting measure with bulk discount on e-thirteen across the line.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Yep.

I'm wondering where these mystery trails in Moab are that have one desiring a 170mm 29er.

Unless you're shuttling TWE every day, that sounds like a miserable bike for that area. Now, if your "climbs" are 5%, nicely graded fire roads, ok. Otherwise, I imagine people will be getting off and pushing, or riding up Gemini Bridges Road when trying to get back to the Mag 7 trailhead. I'd love to see a picture of FC riding this bike UP Mag 7 or Hymasa (which aren't particularly steep, technical or hard climbs).

Even TWE I wouldn't want that bike. It would be much slower vs my Slash, I guarantee it. There's a crap ton of pedaling in there, including lots of gentle dh grades that you can pedal if you feel like it. I usually do.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Pat Healy: I work with retards.
    Mary Jenson: isn't that a little uhm, politically incorrect.?
    Pat Healy: well heh to hell with that, no ones gonna tell me who i can and cant work with right.?

lol
    Pat Healy: We got this one kid, Mongo... He's got a forehead like a drive-in movie theatre, but he's a good ship. So we don't bust his chops too much. So, one day Mongo gets out of his cage...

Mary: They keep him in a cage?

Pat Healy: Well, it's just an enclosure...

Mary: No, but they keep him confined?

Pat Healy: Right, yeah.

Mary: That's bullshit!

Pat Healy: Well, that's what I said! So, I went out and I got him, uh, I got him a leash.

Mary: A leash?

Pat Healy: Yeah, one of those ones you can hook on the clothesline, and he can run back and forth and, uh, there's plenty of room for him to dig and play. That kid is really, uh, he's really blossomed.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I know this guy who pedals a 180mm capra all over the place. He says that going from 165 to 180 resulted in almost no negative attributes, but makes the bike a blast to ride. When he wants to go really fast on cross country trails he rides this hardtail he has. When he just wants to have fun playing around, he always chooses the Capra. Oh, and to the people say a bike like this sucks on rides over 30 miles and 5,000 feet, he disagrees and does such rides almost every week. He also wonders why people bash a bike because it doesn't fit their needs and then question the intelligence or skill of anyone who would like said bike. Ride what you want, if this is too much bike, that's what the jeffsy is for. If that's too much bike also, then yt isn't currently the brand for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    32T chainring/9-46T e-thirteen cassette on all builds, including 29er?!? Not only is e-thirteen mixed reviews, but this gearing is race breed. Average joe will likely need to swap out for 30T chainring at a min, especially on 170mm enduro rig.

No Eagle option is definitely a cost cutting measure with bulk discount on e-thirteen across the line.
    Itís not a cost thing. SRAM has said for this season if you want to sell a bike with Eagle on it, itís got to have our brakes and suspension too. Obviously some bike manufacturers said f that. YT has chosen Rockshox for the lower end bikes and the bling Kashima Fox stuff for the highest end to stand out more.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    So I know this guy who pedals a 180mm capra all over the place. He says that going from 165 to 180 resulted in almost no negative attributes, but makes the bike a blast to ride. When he wants to go really fast on cross country trails he rides this hardtail he has. When he just wants to have fun playing around, he always chooses the Capra. Oh, and to the people say a bike like this sucks on rides over 30 miles and 5,000 feet, he disagrees and does such rides almost every week. He also wonders why people bash a bike because it doesn't fit their needs and then question the intelligence or skill of anyone who would like said bike. Ride what you want, if this is too much bike, that's what the jeffsy is for. If that's too much bike also, then yt isn't currently the brand for you.
    Is this guy you?
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    as someone who is looking at a new bike, these "too much bikes for norcal" comments have me wondering. I thought this looked good for Pacifica, carlmont and santa cruz. its not uncommon to see dual crowns at pacifica and carlmont although it is probably less common than it once was.

huck to flat
    Ride what you want
    This.

In the end it's more about the rider not the bike.

Moderator Moderator
    My "bad habit" is I ride almost everyday! It's a habit I'm not going to break, in fact I plan to make it an even worse habit.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Unless you're a pro the main question is what's going to be the most fun for you and what you ride, it is personal but otoh we're all mostly human so there are some similarities, hence forums and discussions.

Ride what you want is more than fair, but understanding what's going to be the best way to spend $5k isn't a trivial question for most of us, hence forums and discussions.

And, would you still choose the Capra if the XC HT wasn't available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Itís not a cost thing. SRAM has said for this season if you want to sell a bike with Eagle on it, itís got to have our brakes and suspension too. Obviously some bike manufacturers said f that. YT has chosen Rockshox for the lower end bikes and the bling Kashima Fox stuff for the highest end to stand out more.
    My bike came with Eagle and non-rockshox suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Unless you're a pro the main question is what's going to be the most fun for you and what you ride...
    I like this.

Eg. I ride an HD3 because I enjoy pinballing myself off any and all little features I can find, and trying to emulate JKW by manualling wherever I can. Sure it's short, but it's also pretty fun and easy to throw around.

The Capra seems like a bit more than what I'd want, especially since I have a Tues for shuttle, bike park trips and cartwheeling into rocks. But if how you get out your jollies is monster trucking down trails, seems pretty ideal!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Someone on the trail told me my water bottle game was strong. It made my day. I shoehorned a pump in too, along with a few other things. I got a 2017 right before the price dropped by $650, doh!
    New YT Capra-1.jpgNew YT Capra-2.jpg

It's the perfect Pacifica bike. Nearly identical specs (except geo) to my 2001 Joker which I setup 170/170 with a longer stroke shock/Jr. T and a 3 ring Heim guide of course.

New YT Capra-3-heim_charliehuck.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

And, would you still choose the Capra if the XC HT wasn't available?
    The Capra was my only MTN bike for 2 years. If I could have only one I'd sell the hardtail. But I was able to get the capra and a hardtail for the same price as one shop brand bike of the same quality.

Moderator Moderator
    The best bike is the bike you actually ride. A better bike is the bike that motivates you to want to ride it, even more. I saw a woman on a brand new DH rig and full body armor riding around Arastradero a few months ago. Big smile on her face as she walked one of the "steep" sections. I don't know who sold her that bike, but it was a success!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    My bike came with Eagle and non-rockshox suspension.
    Same here. GX Eagle / Fox suspension. Maybe SRAM won't give a big of OEM discount if don't buy the brakes and suspension - but I can't see why they won't sell them the Eagle drivetrain if the OEM wanted it.

Wēk SŰs
    no water bottle mount, isn't that what riding buddies are for? tubes, pump, food...a water bottle won't hurt neither. heck i don't even feel it when my buddy carries it for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    no water bottle mount, isn't that what riding buddies are for? tubes, pump, food...a water bottle won't hurt neither. heck i don't even feel it when my buddy carries it for me.
    Yeah something like that. Last week he had his 2 GoPros and gimballs - but no spare tube, no multitool, no pump, noor tire levers...and of course ran a flat...

fc
    stoked Administrator
    IPA will save America

Oh, So Interesting!
    The Capra was my only MTN bike for 2 years. If I could have only one I'd sell the hardtail. But I was able to get the capra and a hardtail for the same price as one shop brand bike of the same quality.
    Nice! I do like the direct-sale model... my business is also direct-sale. Isn't the old Capra much different? 160mm, shorter tt? A friend has one and I've rode it, it feels more trailbike-esque vs my '14 Slash and much smaller vs my '18 Slash. The new Capra looks much like a longer travel version of my '18 Slash.

Hella Olde
    I am one of those 'Capra is my only bike' guys. For nearly 3 years. I cannot afford both DH race bike and a carbon trail bike, but I like to do both (well I suppose I could if I tried- but why?). I ride Tamarancho frequently and it feels great just cruising around the loop. I never want to come up to something on less bike than I need, so this works for me on double black diamond big mountain runs as well. Love it for fun, Enduros, and the occasional DH race. I had some success in DH back in the day and the Capra would destroy any of the DH bikes I've owned including a Turner DHR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    so which one ď is not too much bike Ē for Norcal riding?

Hella Olde
    OOOOO Sintra! Lucky dogs! I've had beers with Herr Flossman at the Sea Otter. I'd be hard-pressed to give a bad review after that choice portugese junket, so I'm not sure how objective the review is.....

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    so which one ď is not too much bike Ē for Norcal riding?
    Well, Norcal is a big place with a large variety of skillsets. If you want pretty much guarantee never to be overbiked, this would be decent choice.

New YT Capra-25a_4_a.jpg
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    This is it. This is the one. Devastating bike and value.
    Yes! FC is mobbin on a YT!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    OOOOO Sintra! Lucky dogs! I've had beers with Herr Flossman at the Sea Otter. I'd be hard-pressed to give a bad review after that choice portugese junket, so I'm not sure how objective the review is.....
    I'm just happy they didn't fly me out for an ebike (which is what most euros invite me for.)

Hey, I didn't hide the warts of the bike. All I know is the bike made me look heroic. Kinda like that black dirt we have here. I was within a minute or two behind my kid's idol, the great POMBO. Of course it was only a couple minute trail.

New YT Capra-img_2352.jpg
    Pombo

New YT Capra-img_2353-1-.jpg
    The CEO and his wig/
    IPA will save America

Cheeseburgler
    Well, Norcal is a big place with a large variety of skillsets. If you want pretty much guarantee never to be overbiked, this would be decent choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25A_4_a.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	1182259
    New YT Capra-0817161808.jpg

This is my Mid-Pen bike.

mtbr member
    Anyone think Gwin will race a Capra 29 with a dual crown fork? Maybe at round 1 of the WC series in Croatia?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Not sure about brakes and suspension, but it is clear they require manufactures to purchase the entire eagle group. How much do you think next year they back off from this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The best bike is the bike you actually ride. A better bike is the bike that motivates you to want to ride it, even more. I saw a woman on a brand new DH rig and full body armor riding around Arastradero a few months ago. Big smile on her face as she walked one of the "steep" sections. I don't know who sold her that bike, but it was a success!
    This. If a person wants a DH bike for road use and rides it, more power to them. As long as they are having a good time, who cares?

mtbr member
    I am one of those 'Capra is my only bike' guys. For nearly 3 years. I cannot afford both DH race bike and a carbon trail bike, but I like to do both (well I suppose I could if I tried- but why?). I ride Tamarancho frequently and it feels great just cruising around the loop. I never want to come up to something on less bike than I need, so this works for me on double black diamond big mountain runs as well. Love it for fun, Enduros, and the occasional DH race. I had some success in DH back in the day and the Capra would destroy any of the DH bikes I've owned including a Turner DHR.
    Better than a DW-DHR? I love that bike, and admittedly have not ridden a Capra (my friend just bought one so now I have a chance). The DHR is low and slack, and I know the Capra isn't far behind, plus it has the bigger wheels and longer front. Are these the reasons?

mtbr member
    I like to go fast downhill. I like to go fast uphill. This bike will not be fast uphill. I will not get this bike.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Yep.

Are you kidding? I can think of a handful of trails where more travel is better. I ride my 35lb 160mm travel enduro up and down Mag 7 and Hymasa about a dozen times a year... I'm really psyched on this bike. Thinking of giving my enduro to my wife as a hand me down hahaha. If Push announces an 11-6 for it I'm sold.
    Front Range, Colorado

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Are you kidding? I can think of a handful of trails where more travel is better. I ride my 35lb 160mm travel enduro up and down Mag 7 and Hymasa about a dozen times a year... I'm really psyched on this bike. Thinking of giving my enduro to my wife as a hand me down hahaha. If Push announces an 11-6 for it I'm sold.
    Not kidding at all. There are plenty of segments on Mag 7 where 4 or 5 of the top 10 guys are on 100 or 120mm bikes. Unless you're reaching down to hit a climb switch a couple times a minute, a 170mm Horst link bike is going to be miserable for those trails.
    Death from Below.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Not kidding at all. There are plenty of segments on Mag 7 where 4 or 5 of the top 10 guys are on 100 or 120mm bikes. Unless you're reaching down to hit a climb switch a couple times a minute, a 170mm Horst link bike is going to be miserable for those trails.
    I did a Scott Cup Enduro there a few years ago, it was an XC pedal-fest more than an Enduro. Everyone was on XC 9'ers.

Moderator Moderator
    From a safety standpoint, shops should spend time going over the importance of rebound and dampening when they sell a full suspension bike to anyone. I'm always surprised at how many people don't even know there's an adjustment for rebound!

mtbr member
    Hmmmm Mears rides a 160/150mm bike and has most of the KOMís, Iím on a 160mm enduro and have a few top 10ís between porcupine/TWE, And portal. Thereís also jacksons/rockstacker and ahab. If youíre riding klondike/bar-m, or slick rock sure I guess but thatís not why I (or most?) go to Moab. Slick rock is fun to say you did it I guess.

The last Moab Ho-down pro and expert class had all 140mm + bikes (sb5.5, enduro, maybe a switchblade?) on the podium. Unless youíre talking about the climbs I disagree.

The scott enduro is a bit of an anomoly, I donít think most people go to Moab to ride klondike bluffs. Actually the only time I ride there is specifically that race and youíre right, 110-120mm rules there.

The new long travel bikes with steep STAís climb great. Theyíre not XC bikes for sure but they climb well enough. I have a sb4.5 and a Ď18 Enduro 29 and Iím usually always on my enduro according to strava. I really wanna try a Capra and see how it compares to the enduro. Geometry is very similar but a little bigger and more travel.

Since having dirt labs change to a heavier weight oil and overcharge the nitrogen in my X2 i donít touch the climb switch anymore. I think longer travel bikes really benefit from custom suspension tuning.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Hmmmm Mears rides a 160/150mm bike and has most of the KOMís, Iím on a 160mm enduro and have a few top 10ís between porcupine/TWE, And portal. Thereís also jacksons/rockstacker and ahab. If youíre riding klondike/bar-m, or slick rock sure I guess but thatís not why I (or most?) go to Moab. Slick rock is fun to say you did it I guess.

The last Moab Ho-down pro and expert class had all 140mm + bikes (sb5.5, enduro, maybe a switchblade?) on the podium. Unless youíre talking about the climbs I disagree.

The scott enduro is a bit of an anomoly, I donít think most people go to Moab to ride klondike bluffs. Actually the only time I ride there is specifically that race and youíre right, 110-120mm rules there.

The new long travel bikes with steep STAís climb great. Theyíre not XC bikes for sure but they climb well enough. I have a sb4.5 and a Ď18 Enduro 29 and Iím usually always on my enduro according to strava. I really wanna try a Capra and see how it compares to the enduro. Geometry is very similar but a little bigger and more travel.

Since having dirt labs change to a heavier weight oil and overcharge the nitrogen in my X2 i donít touch the climb switch anymore. I think longer travel bikes really benefit from custom suspension tuning.
    You're right...

Not sure why but I thought from the 1st vid and info this was a 170/180 bike, even 10 less, like a 160 9er is going to make a difference. So maybe I have the wrong impression and Capra is capable of fairly efficient pedaling. But when I see 180 and 4-bar I assume certain things that maybe are not true in this case.

I just see such large advancements in the 150/160 enduro bike's efficiency and question going backward in that department for a little more travel as current enduro bikes seem extremely capable on the dh, to where it's really the fork holding them back for the most part. So, why more bike when you're running a Fox 36/160 anyways?

I do think I made a possibly erroneous assumption though, I'll keep an open mind.

mtbr member
    You're right...

Not sure why but I thought from the 1st vid and info this was a 170/180 bike, even 10 less, like a 160 9er is going to make a difference. So maybe I have the wrong impression and Capra is capable of fairly efficient pedaling. But when I see 180 and 4-bar I assume certain things that maybe are not true in this case.

I just see such large advancements in the 150/160 enduro bike's efficiency and question going backward in that department for a little more travel as current enduro bikes seem extremely capable on the dh, to where it's really the fork holding them back for the most part. So, why more bike when you're running a Fox 36/160 anyways?

I do think I made a possibly erroneous assumption though, I'll keep an open mind.
    There's always going to be a compromise. I thought long and hard about a SB5.5 but after a handful of demos my riding style is faster on my enduro. I think 150-160 really is the sweet spot but I don't have any time on a 170mm 29'er to compare. The only real reason I would switch is to be able to run an 11-6 and because I'm a little intrigued by the bigger WB, reach, etc. The difference a custom tuned coil shock makes at race pace is very apparent IMO. Otherwise I'll be keeping my Enduro for the '18 season. My Push damper and coil insert was a game changer in the Fox 36. I'm not a fan of the TTX on the enduro. I've already reached out to Push to see if they're interested, with YT stating they've softened the leverage rate I'm not sure it'll be an option. The YT would allow me to run a true DH fork as well for the handful of DH races around here if I really wanted to. I have a hard time switching from my Enduro 29'er to my 27.5 Demo and I'm not forking out the cash for that Trek 29'er.
    Front Range, Colorado

Oh, So Interesting!
    There's always going to be a compromise. I thought long and hard about a SB5.5 but after a handful of demos my riding style is faster on my enduro. I think 150-160 really is the sweet spot but I don't have any time on a 170mm 29'er to compare. The only real reason I would switch is to be able to run an 11-6 and because I'm a little intrigued by the bigger WB, reach, etc. The difference a custom tuned coil shock makes at race pace is very apparent IMO. Otherwise I'll be keeping my Enduro for the '18 season. My Push damper and coil insert was a game changer in the Fox 36. I'm not a fan of the TTX on the enduro. I've already reached out to Push to see if they're interested, with YT stating they've softened the leverage rate I'm not sure it'll be an option. The YT would allow me to run a true DH fork as well for the handful of DH races around here if I really wanted to. I have a hard time switching from my Enduro 29'er to my 27.5 Demo and I'm not forking out the cash for that Trek 29'er.
    The Capra is an insane value. If it pedals efficiently I'd give it a go, and the ability to set the 9er at 160 might make that work out pretty well. Trek is pricey but so is everything else, the Yeti and SC carbon frames and builds are about the same price, and it's all a little out of hand imo.

A friend with a V3 Nomad has the push coil setup front and rear, it is nice and I totally see why people love it. I used a coil on my '09 Remedy when all air shocks sucked, but I'm impressed with the RS on my Slash... it's also part of the reason it pedals so efficiently, so switching that out will give up some of that. It's kinda cheating but it definitely has a subtle pedal platform in open mode. And the '18 Fox 36 is pretty impressive too, the new air spring is getting more coil-like.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FC,

How tall are you and what sizes did you try? Last Year purchased a medium Jeffsy per their sizing recommendations. I feel a large would've been a better fit. I'm 5"8-9ish. Thanks

mtbr member
    The Capra is an insane value.
    I'm hoping with YT, Intense now going rider-direct and Canyon coming to the US that more bike companies will be forced to lower their prices to compete in the future. Over the past 7 years, I've owned bikes from Trek, Yeti, Banshee, Pivot, Niner, Santa Cruz and Intense. If I'm going shopping tomorrow, I'd be looking only at companies selling direct to save $2-4000.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Hella Olde
    The DHR was pre Dave Weagle link, way too steep in the headtube.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by markd0nalds View Post
    FC,

How tall are you and what sizes did you try? Last Year purchased a medium Jeffsy per their sizing recommendations. I feel a large would've been a better fit. I'm 5"8-9ish. Thanks
    I'm 5'7". I was on a Small 27.5 with 170mm of travel. Perfect fit.

Then I was on a Large 29er with 160mm of travel. Too big but we made it work since their seat tubes are so low.

These bikes, you can size up if you want high speed stability. You have to be a lot more active during cornering to weight the front tire.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New YT Capra

The 11-6 for the new Capra should not be a problem and it should get along just fine with any coil shock. While less progressive than the old bike, it is still very progressive, more than many enduro bikes.

It is still on the lower end of the antisquat scale at 50-80% in the climbing gears, similar to Knolly bikes (who purposely designs them that way and wants the rider to choose if they want the extra low speed dampening from the shock). It will be more active climbing and want to squat slightly, so will benefit from a shock that you can increase low speed dampening, especially for longer, non technical climbs. Keep in mind the antisquat is still way higher than the old 2000s bikes that wallowed around without a platform and had antisquat percentages of 0%-50% in the 32 ring, but even in the 22 or 24t ring were still lower than the new Capra.

Y.Talent Capra 27.5'' 2018 - Linkage Design

mtbr member
    Can anyone say if the capra race 29er has a fox 36 RC2? Photos look like it but descriptions are vague. I got permission from the wife to put an order in tomorrow 🤘🏻

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Can anyone say if the capra race 29er has a fox 36 RC2? Photos look like it but descriptions are vague. I got permission from the wife to put an order in tomorrow 🤘🏻
    I agree it looks like it, as well as the lower model CF Pro, but then in the photo of the components of the Race they show a Fit4. Best to just call them before putting in your order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I agree it looks like it, as well as the lower model CF Pro, but then in the photo of the components of the Race they show a Fit4. Best to just call them before putting in your order.

Good idea, will do tomorrow.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7".
    Did you shrink bro? I thought you were 5'8".

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    It's cold today

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    My advice to all you folks getting old... measure yo height. You are shorter than you think.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The DHR was pre Dave Weagle link, way too steep in the headtube.
    Oh, ok. But I heard it was indestructible. =)

My buddy has the DW-DHR (I do too but I don't have a new enduro bike) and a Knolly Warden (the new one). His opinion is that as good as the Knolly is, there are some situations where the DHR still shines. But yeah, the overlap between the two types of bikes is probably past 90% (in the descending).

mtbr member
    Damn, Large race model sold out until July. Guess I'm out.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Well... I did some geometry comparisons. TT, reach, standover, etc. in an XL Capra is still smaller then a large GG Smash which I've ridden. The WB is .3" longer but that's ok with me. Ended up ordering an XL Race 29 model! Let's see what this "big" trend is all about.
    Front Range, Colorado

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Well... I did some geometry comparisons. TT, reach, standover, etc. in an XL Capra is still smaller then a large GG Smash which I've ridden. The WB is .3" longer but that's ok with me. Ended up ordering an XL Race 29 model! Let's see what this "big" trend is all about.
    Congrats. Large sold out already is pretty crazy.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You guys are brave....I'd need to take it for a spin first to see for myself if that innovation jives with my riding style.

Any word on demo opportunities? If not, then a referral bonus would be cool for those who already own one and turn others on to it by way of a quick spin during a group ride.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Oh, ok. But I heard it was indestructible. =)

My buddy has the DW-DHR (I do too but I don't have a new enduro bike) and a Knolly Warden (the new one). His opinion is that as good as the Knolly is, there are some situations where the DHR still shines. But yeah, the overlap between the two types of bikes is probably past 90% (in the descending).

There's nothing like a true DH bike, but these modern enduros are way better then what I had back then!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    You guys are brave....I'd need to take it for a spin first to see for myself if that innovation jives with my riding style.

Any word on demo opportunities? If not, then a referral bonus would be cool for those who already own one and turn others on to it by way of a quick spin during a group ride.

It's just the brave new world of direct-sales! I bought my first-gen Capra sight-unseen. They should have the range at the SOC but they don't do demos because the logistics are a royal PITA. That's what they said last year anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    They just posted their demo events, looks like they'll have the bikes at sea otter to demo (only NorCal event) but also will be at mammoth and some other places during summer

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by f0nz0 View Post
    They just posted their demo events, looks like they'll have the bikes at sea otter to demo (only NorCal event) but also will be at mammoth and some other places during summer
    Sea Otter is not the best terrain for this bike.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Manuel Beastley might disagree!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At least it would be helpful for sizing since you mentioned there's greater flexibility and overlap in choosing a size for a given height.

Hella Olde
    And there are races going on on all the 'terrain'

Link to Capra designer's take on the bike's 'DNA'. Not for the casual trail rider.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/feature...-yt-capra.html

Hella Olde
    Agree 100% Apparently we will be able to do so at the SOC.

mtbr member
    Sooooo..... Been thinking about the XL all day. Finally called YT. The guy I spoke to said he was 6'2 and the XL is a BIG bike. At 6' even he seemed confident I'd be really happy on a Large and that an XL was too big. I'm buying this thing as a race bike (2nd bike) but I still want it to be fun to ride. I always ride a large... enjoy "smaller" bikes so I think that's the right choice as well.

I ended up cancelling my Race order and putting an order in for a CF Pro in white in large. He said he expects those to be sold out in the next couple days. I also asked him about the fork and it's the RC2 damper.

I also spoke with Push this morning. They said they have a lot of bikes scheduled for fitment but if they get enough interest they'll add the new Capra. The best thing we can do is email them and ask to be put on a waiting list- sales@pushindustries.com ask them to add you to the list for an 11-6 for the new Capra 29er. I was the first person that called. Race season starts in May, if they don't have an 11-6 by then I'll probably but a DHX2 on it.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    So I am 6'1 and 185...was thinking the XL made sense...now you have me second guessing.

Also - if the bike is not available until March does that mean they charge your CC in March or do they charge it now?

fc
    stoked Administrator

New YT Capra

The key number you really understand is Reach. It determines how roomy the top tube is. Start to really understand that number, what your current one is and what it could/should be on your next bike.

All the bikes are now getting longer reach, which allows shorter stems. But it also lengthens the wheelbase.

The other numbers are to watch when selecting size are Stack and Wheelbase.
    Last edited by fc; 1 Week Ago at 08:46 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    They charged me immediately. Comparing geometry on the ski lift at winter park all day is really what got me to change to a large.

I've had a L 2017 Enduro- Reach 450mm WB 1205mm
    Current bike- L 2018 Enduro- Reach 462mm WB 1218mm

I've ridden a GG Smash Large and it feels really big TO ME. Reach 490mm WB 1245mm I've only ridden it around a lot, up a fire road but I think the reach would bother my lower back on long rides.

Another bike I've sat on- a L Transition Sentinel Reach 475, WB 1247. I didn't get a chance to really ride it but rolling around a parking lot if felt ok.

Large Capra- Reach 465mm WB 1223mm
    XL Capra- Reach 485mm WB 1252mm

FOR ME... I think that makes the large the clear choice. I really liked my 2017 Enduro, I really like my 2018 Enduro. My background is freestyle BMX so I like a smaller bike I can throw around. The L capra is not small by any means but the bigger bikes do seem a little faster. This thing will primarily be a race/lift access bike for me that I still want to have fun on at local trails with 2-3k of climbing. I really like a flickable bike. Racing Enduro expert/flirting with pro class this year so I feel like I have a good grasp of what a fast bike is.

The Capra geometry is really really close, almost identical to the enduro just slightly larger in almost every dimension. I'm really excited about the leverage rate of the suspension compared to the Enduro. I plan on bumping the fork to 170mm and either replacing the DPX2 with a X2, DHX2, or an 11-6 at 170mm almost immediately so that will make it even bigger/longer/slacker.

I really like the 65.5 HTA on the new enduro, I think 65 on the Capra will be sweet.

Luckily for me I'm 6' and my wife is 5'11 and she really likes my Enduro. She's coming from a Medium Hightower so I think she'll do well, be more confident on a bigger bike when descending. She's going to take over the Enduro, and it'll be my backup race bike. With the similarity in geometry it should be easy to switch back and forth if necessary.

For reference my exact measurements- inseam is 33", 6' 1/4" tall with an average ape index.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    I think the fox 49 A2C is the same as a 36 at 170mm which would make a ridiculous cheater bike at races like Keystone and Angelfire
    Front Range, Colorado

fc
    stoked Administrator
    They charged me immediately. Comparing geometry on the ski lift at winter park all day is really what got me to change to a large.

I've had a L 2017 Enduro- Reach 450mm WB 1205mm
    Current bike- L 2018 Enduro- Reach 462mm WB 1218mm

I've ridden a GG Smash Large and it feels really big TO ME. Reach 490mm WB 1245mm I've only ridden it around a lot, up a fire road but I think the reach would bother my lower back on long rides.

Another bike I've sat on- a L Transition Sentinel Reach 475, WB 1247. I didn't get a chance to really ride it but rolling around a parking lot if felt ok.

Large Capra- Reach 465mm WB 1223mm
    XL Capra- Reach 485mm WB 1252mm

FOR ME... I think that makes the large the clear choice. I really liked my 2017 Enduro, I really like my 2018 Enduro. My background is freestyle BMX so I like a smaller bike I can throw around. The L capra is not small by any means but the bigger bikes do seem a little faster. This thing will primarily be a race/lift access bike for me that I still want to have fun on at local trails with 2-3k of climbing. I really like a flickable bike. Racing Enduro expert/flirting with pro class this year so I feel like I have a good grasp of what a fast bike is.

The Capra geometry is really really close, almost identical to the enduro just slightly larger in almost every dimension. I'm really excited about the leverage rate of the suspension compared to the Enduro. I plan on bumping the fork to 170mm and either replacing the DPX2 with a X2, DHX2, or an 11-6 at 170mm almost immediately so that will make it even bigger/longer/slacker.

I really like the 65.5 HTA on the new enduro, I think 65 on the Capra will be sweet.

Luckily for me I'm 6' and my wife is 5'11 and she really likes my Enduro. She's coming from a Medium Hightower so I think she'll do well, be more confident on a bigger bike when descending. She's going to take over the Enduro, and it'll be my backup race bike. With the similarity in geometry it should be easy to switch back and forth if necessary.

For reference my exact measurements- inseam is 33", 6' 1/4" tall with an average ape index.
    brilliant analysis.

Love the input on the A2C as well. You know what details.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I couldn't decide on sizing since these new Mondraker bikes are soooooo long. They sent me both.

New YT Capra-img_4200.jpg

It's not an easy decision now since they both really work. It becomes a question of riding style and how active one wants to be cornering and in the air.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    The ETT seems a little short. Medium shows 22.9". Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    The ETT seems a little short. Medium shows 22.9". Am I missing something?

cause the seat tube is steep, ETT doesn't really matter IMO with the new geometry "standard"
    Front Range, Colorado

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12