Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Anyone have experience and suggestions about wheelbuilders in Chico?
    You ride a 29er right? I would definately ask anyone who builds them if they have built 29ers before.

organically fed
    I was gonna post a negative comment about a certain bike shop, but the last time I did that, regarding a different shop in a different region, their star employee turned into a bleeding mangina and had a huge meltdown on the forum and I got banned for a week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theilluminati
    I second that, and might I add that if you throw in a six-pack they will do it with a smile.
    They've done me pretty well in the past with other repair work; I'll have to stop in this week to talk it through with them. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    You ride a 29er right? I would definately ask anyone who builds them if they have built 29ers before.
    Ooh, good point. I guess that is the reason I was leaning towards builders well known on this forum for 29er wheels. Homegrown Chico wheels would be nice though

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ooh, good point. I guess that is the reason I was leaning towards builders well known on this forum for 29er wheels. Homegrown Chico wheels would be nice though
    I'm not saying there aren't builders in chico who couldn't build a good 29er wheel, but you ought to be careful who you choose. 29er wheels are inherently a bit weaker and a solid builder can overcome that. Check around with the main shops but I wouldn't go to Campus or Bike and Board expecting a master wheel smith.

Oh if you want the wheels built by an idiot who has no experience, hit me up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    I'm not saying there aren't builders in chico who couldn't build a good 29er wheel, but you ought to be careful who you choose. 29er wheels are inherently a bit weaker and a solid builder can overcome that. Check around with the main shops but I wouldn't go to Campus or Bike and Board expecting a master wheel smith.

Oh if you want the wheels built by an idiot who has no experience, hit me up.
    If I wanted that I would try it myself

I was unclear in my last post I think. I was trying to say that I had been attracted to certain well known wheel builders specifically because I've heard great things about their 29er wheels, so it really makes sense to ask the local builders what they've done with 29ers too. I hadn't thought about asking that right upfront though, so thanks

organically fed
    I would ask Paul of Paul Components if he has any recommendations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    justin @ cyclesport builds a damn fine wheel, doesn't matter what size. throw in some coors light and he might even say you have a sweet 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would guess you could find a master wheelbuilder at several shops in Chico, including a few you might not expect. For instance if you went to Bike and Board and got big Mike to build your wheel, he would build you a good wheel. He's been doing stiff wheels for bmx guys for like 30 years. Built me a set when I was a kid that was really nice. He's a big dude and I'm sure he knows what it takes to make a strong wheel. John at North Rim has a Wheelsmith certification from like 1969. I guarantee there are a couple of good builders at Pullins, Cyclesport, and Campus too. Maybe even North Valley, if anyone even shops there anymore. Mostly it's going to depend on how precisely even you get the tension while still maintaining trueness and roundness, on the right wheel components for the type of riding you want to do. Like everyone else on here said, just ask around and be nice and you'll get a high quality build.

Butcher
    Trails OPEN... and sweeeeeet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

get ready for the fight

Hey,

Iím sure a most of you have heard about the upcoming meeting on Monday to discuss Upper Park trails at the park commission. If not, hereís the time and date.

Meeting for Discussion on Trail Conditions and Use on Monday Oct. 26th @ 6:30PM at the City Council Chambers - 421 Main St .

Iím fairly confident that the meeting originated from a letter sent to the Park Commission by the Big Chico Creek Watershed Alliance (Iíve included it below). Their concerns were primarily leveled at mountain bike use of the trails. Itís also noteworthy that the ďallianceĒ includes as a board member the person who originated the effort to remove disc golf.

If you appreciate access to trails in Bidwell Park for mountain biking, this is a meeting you should attend. The best way to prevent your park use from being painted with a broad, and sometimes negative, brush is to speak up. Please spread the word to other park users so they have an opportunity to attend.

Thanks,

Lon Glazner

President Ė Chico Outsiders

>LetterÖ

May 19, 2009

Dear Bidwell Park and Playground Commission,

This letter is to express concerns the Big Chico Creek Watershed Alliance has

over trail erosion occurring in the vast network of hiking/biking trails in Upper

Bidwell Park. Although foot traffic on the trails causes some erosion, the majority

of the degradation to the trails is coming from mountain bike traffic.

Erosion damage can most notably be seen on the Middle Trail, but erosion is not

exclusive to just this one trail. There seem to be two main causes for trail erosion

in Upper Park . First, whenever there is a geological pattern or outcrop, the area

is used for jumping or veering off the trail to increase the challenge of riding over

rough terrain. This mainly happens in the summer. Second, there is a lot of

mountain biking while the ground is wet, even though there is a Park policy

stating that the trials are closed during wet conditions. Mountain bike use during

the rainy season, along with some irresponsible summer use, has created a

widening of the trails and increased soil erosion.

Another Park policy that is often being ignored is the one stating the Yahi Trail is

for pedestrians only, yet bike traffic is not an uncommon sight on this trial. Even

when bikes are not visually observed on this trail, bike tracks can be seen. There

is one portion of the Yahi Trail (located between Alligator Hole and Day Camp)

that is now completely eroding into Big Chico Creek. This segment of the trail will

most certainly disappear this summer, dumping a significant amount of sediment

into the creek.

We look forward to your response to our concerns over Park policy violations.

Sincerely,

Chris Colson

Big Chico Creek Watershed Alliance Board Member
    ReplyReply AllMove...chipscotts
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

cue the rocky theme music

I'll be there.

Oh, and props to whoever cleaned up B-Trail after the storm, rode it last night and was pleasantly surprised to see the blow down was removed.

mtbr member
    for my information and to get it out there more visibly, what are the group night ride options in Chico right now?
    Tues/Thurs Hooker Oak group still meets at 6pm right? Medium pace?
    I've heard something about rides meeting at North Rim downtown but wasn't sure about the pace and if they ride or drive to the park
    Any other groups?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Tue/Thur is always a standing ride, but don't think many people show up now that it is dark. I rarely ride that ride and only 1 regular showed up lastnight. Only saw 3 other lights in the park, 2 on South Rim and 1 on Upper trail.

Wednesday from North Rim at 6pm, they ride up from the store. The pace is definetely faster than the tue/thr group on average, but again depends on who shows up. Usually about 18mph up the lower park trails to give you an idea of the pace.

Coors, the american beer.
    figured id poke my head in here

since i had veterans day off i decided to go and relive the old days and bar it up tuesday. Hit rileys, normal, ubar, the bear, normal again, and a few house parties

this morning did north rim, btrail, middle to lower thru the hangover .... seemed to get worse when i was done riding ... damn that whiskey
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'd have to say that upper guardians is almost perfect. Super tacky, love it. Sure a bit of the trail is blown out but who needs it with dirt like this!

Anyone ride Guardians at night? How sketchy is it?

organically fed
    Here's an action shot of me "shredding the gnar" today...

Who's rollin' tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Here's an action shot of me "shredding the gnar" today...

Who's rollin' tomorrow?
    Tomorrow night....

organically fed
    I'm thinking like 9-10-ish in the morning.

organically fed
    Did somebody (some group?) sanitize the rock garden on Middle Trail?

mtbr member
    Did somebody (some group?) sanitize the rock garden on Middle Trail?
    what?? Which one? Is it in the long one maybe 3/4" from the lake that goes downhill and dips back up, right by a connecting trail to Lower?

organically fed
    what?? Which one? Is it in the long one maybe 3/4" from the lake that goes downhill and dips back up, right by a connecting trail to Lower?
    nah, it's a quite a bit further out than that.

It's between the Valley of Death and Moonraker. I'll see if I have any pics...

mtbr member
    nah, it's a quite a bit further out than that.

It's between the Valley of Death and Moonraker. I'll see if I have any pics...
    haha, you lost me there. Is this before Middle connects back to the road or after?

I assumed the one I mentioned because I saw some middle aged lady out there last weekend trying to dig a rock out to "make it better for the kids"

organically fed
    Moonraker is right at or after the powerlines, if I'm not mistaken. This is right before Moonraker, similar but smaller:

Now that I think about it, maybe you were referring to the one I'm asking about. I thought you were referring to this:

But after re-reading your post, prolly not.

The one in question had a lot of loose cobbles...smoover than the rest of the rocks typically encountered. I'd swear somebody came and cleared out a whole bunch of 'em.

organically fed
    btw, that second photo I just posted...that section is called "Triple Dip". Buy my book.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast