Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Butcher
    Anyone have a used 20mm thru axle front wheel you wanna sell? Got a new fork coming. Thanks in advance.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    Anyone have a used 20mm thru axle front wheel you wanna sell? Got a new fork coming. Thanks in advance.
    Nevermind. Thanks again, Larry!

mtbr member
    FYI: More Trial Work

http://www.chicoer.com/breakingnews/ci_17928348

I'm sure it's a good thing long term, but it means Middle may be blocked or closed in some sections. Oh well. May have to spend some more time on the south side of the park.
    fresh out from the halfway-house

Ride Life.

Mtn. Lion on B-trail

Very large mtn. lion in front of me about 3/4 of way down B-trail today around 730pm.
    Must have not been hungry as ran down the trail a bit just before jetting down the hill.
    Be aware. (Though, the P.O. is scarier than a mountain lion)
    BIKES: ZERO GALLONS PER MILE.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Trails were closed today so I decided to hike down 10 mile house road to the creek, to check out the water levels. I don't know if it's crossable, didn't really feel like getting wet. BTW, does anyone know where 10 mile house road continues onto going east?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's been crossable for about a month now...and you won't even get the boys wet if you're careful.

mtbr member
    10 mile house keeps going up the canyon until you hit the nature preserve. There is a gate about 2-3 miles east and a sign that says no bikes .
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    HELLO anybody out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I would say everybody's busy riding, but I didn't see too many out on middle trail this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PA24 View Post
    I would say everybody's busy riding, but I didn't see too many out on middle trail this afternoon.
    Call me a wimp but I'd rather avoid the full strength of the sun this time of year so I always ride after 6pm if I can. Early morning or after dark are also popular with others

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Call me a wimp but I'd rather avoid the full strength of the sun this time of year so I always ride after 6pm if I can. Early morning or after dark are also popular with others
    Exactly! I rode North Rim/B/Middle last Saturday in 95F heat and it definitely took some enjoyment out of riding. Early AM is a great time to ride, not only because of the temperature, but because you almost get the park to yourself. And of course, there is still the Tues/Thurs group meeting at Hooker Oak Rec Area Parking Lot @ 6pm. Come on out and check out the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bidwell Bump - August 27th

Get fired up for the Bump!! Two months until the race on August 27th!! If you have not checked out the website here is the link: www.thebidwellbump.com Do us a favor and hit the "like" button for the Bump's Facebook page. Online registration is now open. Tell your friends and spread the word!!

Also, Rodney is doing pratice Northrim/B-trail/Middle-trail races on Mondays at 6:30pm.

Butcher
    Still haven't done B-trail in a while. Anyone clear the remaining oak overgrowth? C'mon... I took care of middle trail tunnel... someone please step up (or inform us that it's done) so I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night covered in the stuff... again. Thanks in advance. I have some tools stashed up there near bottom of b-trail in case you want to use them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt View Post
    Still haven't done B-trail in a while. Anyone clear the remaining oak overgrowth? C'mon... I took care of middle trail tunnel... someone please step up (or inform us that it's done) so I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night covered in the stuff... again. Thanks in advance. I have some tools stashed up there near bottom of b-trail in case you want to use them.
    Last week it wasn't too bad actually. There may have been a few encroaching branches, but there are easy enough to avoid. I'll bring some clippers next time. I'm trying to get below 9 minutes though, and that's really going to hurt my time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93272223

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Exactly! I rode North Rim/B/Middle last Saturday in 95F heat and it definitely took some enjoyment out of riding. Early AM is a great time to ride, not only because of the temperature, but because you almost get the park to yourself. And of course, there is still the Tues/Thurs group meeting at Hooker Oak Rec Area Parking Lot @ 6pm. Come on out and check out the trails!
    what trails are you guys riding? Been riding bidwell a lot and looking for some new people to ride with, just curious if i would be able to keep up.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    ... I'm trying to get below 9 minutes though, and that's really going to hurt my time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93272223
    TwoHeadsBrewing - you've got to get on Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/654313
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

May the Force be with you
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiRider1316 View Post
    what trails are you guys riding? Been riding bidwell a lot and looking for some new people to ride with, just curious if i would be able to keep up.
    I'm sure you would be fine. We are a casual group that takes off from Hooker oak every Tue/ Thur 6pm.

New riders are always welcome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    TwoHeadsBrewing - you've got to get on Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/654313
    Done, I'm MTBen on there. Damn dude, 24 minutes up North Rim??? Nice times!

mtbr member
    The Tue/Thurs ride is definitely a casual group, but we do get after it. There are frequent regroups and the overall pace is relaxed, but you still get a good workout. Well, I should say that I get a good workout...people are usually waiting for me! We pretty much ride all the trails in the park, up and down both sides.

Butcher
    Would like to find at least one other person who's up for doing the bump loop a couple times per week (1 weekday ride,1 weekend ride) for at least the next few weeks.

Thinking a 2-hour'ish pace to start off. During the week I have to be home by 7:45am at the latest.

Depature on weekdays has to be before 6am, weekends could be b/t 7am and 8am. Could start at Easter Cross or 5-mile gravel parking lot.

Lemme know or just start showing up and if we ride together so be it.

mtbr member
    Are you talking the entire XC course (North Rim and South), or the Sport(North, B, Middle) course?

Butcher
    Are you talking the entire XC course (North Rim and South), or the Sport(North, B, Middle) course?
    Sorry... Pro/Expert course. So yep, both sides.

mtbr member
    I'd be down for some early AM rides. I work at 8am weekdays, so would need to be back home by 7:30am...that puts me at a 5:30am departure minimum. Not sure if I'd be up to the 2 hour pace at this point but I'll give it a shot. My Sport course times are around 1:10 and at least starting out that 10 Mile House road climb is going to KILL me. I'm up for the punishment though...

Butcher
    I'd be down for some early AM rides. I work at 8am weekdays, so would need to be back home by 7:30am...that puts me at a 5:30am departure minimum. Not sure if I'd be up to the 2 hour pace at this point but I'll give it a shot. My Sport course times are around 1:10 and at least starting out that 10 Mile House road climb is going to KILL me. I'm up for the punishment though...
    Cool. I'll PM you my contact info and we can work something out. I rode NR --> B trail this morning and I was not good. Hopefully I can just chalk that up to too much Downieville action over the weekend... but probably not.

I wish I could get out with you boys.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico View Post
    I wish I could get out with you boys.
    Yep. Missed you @ Downieville. We went home early Sunday. Maybe a Sunday bump ride?

Yep. Missed you @ Downieville. We went home early Sunday. Maybe a Sunday bump ride?
    Sure.

Tom has is getting a group together for Sunday . Meet at 5mile 8:30am

Let me know we could just go at it together

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico View Post
    Sure.

Tom has is getting a group together for Sunday . Meet at 5mile 8:30am

Let me know we could just go at it together
    Crap. I have to switch to tomorrow (Saturday). 8:30am is still pretty late for me (even on weekends), but I can try for it. I'd prefer 7am.

Butcher
    7:30am departure from the cross @ North Rim if anyone wants in.

organically fed
    not sure if novice or sport, but my training for the Bump starts Monday. I haven't been on my mtbr in over a year, but I've been roadie-ing up to Centerville which I reckon is roughly akin to two trips up the North Rim Trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t! View Post
    not sure if novice or sport, but my training for the Bump starts Monday. I haven't been on my mtbr in over a year, but I've been roadie-ing up to Centerville which I reckon is roughly akin to two trips up the North Rim Trail.
    Plan on 30-40 minutes from the parking lot at easter cross to the top of north rim. Most of the fast guys ride it in the 20-25 minute range.

organically fed
    Plan on 30-40 minutes from the parking lot at easter cross to the top of north rim. Most of the fast guys ride it in the 20-25 minute range.
    Yeah, I typically roll up the N. Rim in 35 min. That's on a SS hardtail. I'm pretty sure I'll just ride in the Novice class...I fear that I would just be in peoples' way on B Trail and that wouldn't be cool. The Novice course is my playground though, perfect for singlespeeding, just a bit too short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My times are actually faster to climb Centerville from the Covered Bridge to the Gravel than to climb North Rim from the Bump start to B trail. Now add in the Centerville gravel and you have a road bike climb that would be similar to North Rim.

Really any climbing is good, just keep after it and having fun!

organically fed
    I actually posted my thoughts backwards regarding that comparison. :/ I meant to say that a trip up the N. Rim was like going to C'ville twice. Fricken' wine, I guess.

It's a really excellent road ride, though...I typically just can't hang with roading because I get bored and then my stamina goes to shiz quickly. If there ain't killer climbs and/or views, I'm out.

mtbr member
    I had an unfortunate surprise this evening: a large crew working on containing and cleaning up a fire on Guardian trail. Here's a ChicoER news story. We got rerouted off the trail onto the road through Cal Park right at the east edge of what had been part of the fire. That area looked like it was mostly just brush that burnt and the trail itself appears to have provided a useful firebreak without damage I could see from where we stopped. The fire in that area was on the hillside above the trail.

Here is the approximate location based on where I got kicked off and where they were describing the remaining active fire line.

On a side note the fireman we talked to give us a bit of accusatory bewilderment that we were on the trail when "the park is closed" because of the fire, which is funny considering that even an hour later all the park signs still said open

Butcher
    Boomn - nice head's up. I went to check it out this morning and took some video. Will post later. You're pretty much right on with the area. Fire crew has kept some of their gear and hoses up there and also hoses still stretched across the trail. So anyone riding Guardian's needs to look out for it right in the area that you've circled. I'm guessing they'll be up there soon to check out the situation and remove their stuff.

mtbr member
    Dang, just saw news about another fire later last night. I wonder where this one was and how much damage it did?!

Butcher
    Dang, just saw news about another fire later last night. I wonder where this one was and how much damage it did?!
    My guess is it just flared up in about the same spot as the one you came across and they accessed it from the point indicated on this pic I made from google earth:

That's where I found some of the crew's leftovers and tire tracks from the rigs.

Video is still uploading. You'll be able to figure out the fire perimeter as I start from where I find their stuff... ride a along the top... then took time to walk below the spot where they cut the bottom fire line.

mtbr member
    My guess is it just flared up in about the same spot as the one you came across and they accessed it from the point indicated on this pic I made from google earth:

That's where I found some of the crew's leftovers and tire tracks from the rigs.

Video is still uploading. You'll be able to figure out the fire perimeter as I start from where I find their stuff... ride a along the top... then took time to walk below the spot where they cut the bottom fire line.
    Yep, I think you're right. I must have missed the part in that news article about it being 1/4" east of the original

Butcher
    Here's the vid. Turn down the sound if you don't like Hendrix. (Disclaimer: horrible editing. sketchy production. Awful riding. Song choice shows poor judgement and lack of sensitivity. Other than that, enjoy!)

from Vimeo.

organically fed
    I would have said "GTFO if you don't like Hendrix..." but that's okay.

mtbr member
    Got out for some trail maintenance this morning with nickelbolt. We cleared the meadow section of South Rim at the base of Tennis Ball Hill. If you've ridden lately, you know that is choked with star thistle. Or I should say WAS choked with star thistle...it's all gone now!

Butcher
    Got out for some trail maintenance this morning with nickelbolt. We cleared the meadow section of South Rim at the base of Tennis Ball Hill. If you've ridden lately, you know that is choked with star thistle. Or I should say WAS choked with star thistle...it's all gone now!
    The Evidence. Good stuff, man.

The Evidence. Good stuff, man.

Next time bring the riding mower... Great job guy's

mtbr member
    Thank you for clearing the star thistle. Stuff was wreaking havoc on my shins. Next time you guys do some trail work shoot me a message and i would love to come out and contribute as i ride these trails often.

On another note, anybody interested in doing a shuttle run up 32 either fri or sat morning? Was thinking drop in at pine, take bloody pin, up annie, cross the creek and middle out.

mtbr member
    I'd be down for a Friday morning ride, as long as the shop has my bike back by tomorrow. Any interest in doing the Bump course? If not, a shuttle run sounds good too.

North Rim -> B Trail -> Creek Crossing -> 10 mile house -> Guardian -> Bloody Pin -> Annie Bidwell -> South Rim

mtbr member
    I've been kicking around this idea for a while, but I'm interested to hear what others think. Tennis Ball Hill is a monument of sorts, but it's also nearly impossible to ride and remnants of an old jeep trail. It's not hiker, biker or equestrian friendly and breaks up the nice flow of the lower south rim.

I think it would be a great project for the future to re-route the trail around Tennis Ball Hill to offer a more maintainable and usable trail. In the picture below you can see the existing trail which simply goes straight down the hill. The alternate route would run more along the ridge, almost parallel to Guardian Trail but then drops down in a short section and meets back up with the existing Annie Bidwell trail almost at the base. I'm interested to hear what your thoughts on this are, and whether this would be a good project for the CATS group to put forward.

mtbr member
    I've been kicking around this idea for a while, but I'm interested to hear what others think. Tennis Ball Hill is a monument of sorts, but it's also nearly impossible to ride and remnants of an old jeep trail. It's not hiker, biker or equestrian friendly and breaks up the nice flow of the lower south rim.

I think it would be a great project for the future to re-route the trail around Tennis Ball Hill to offer a more maintainable and usable trail. In the picture below you can see the existing trail which simply goes straight down the hill. The alternate route would run more along the ridge, almost parallel to Guardian Trail but then drops down in a short section and meets back up with the existing Annie Bidwell trail almost at the base. I'm interested to hear what your thoughts on this are, and whether this would be a good project for the CATS group to put forward.
    I'm grinning just thinking about it! I hate that hill and have honestly avoided racing the full Bump every year since I've been here so I don't have to run my bike up that long hill under the pressure of the clock, and my planning of normal rides on the south side is also limited to routes that avoid the hill. I would love to have more good climbing in Bidwell and I bet a route like that would carve really nicely going down it too!

mtbr member
    I'd be down for a Friday morning ride, as long as the shop has my bike back by tomorrow. Any interest in doing the Bump course? If not, a shuttle run sounds good too.

North Rim -> B Trail -> Creek Crossing -> 10 mile house -> Guardian -> Bloody Pin -> Annie Bidwell -> South Rim

Ide be up for the bump course but i dont think my endurance is up to par. I could probably gut it out if push came to shove but i hate being the guy that people are waiting on. I do have to be back in Paradise by 9am for work though but ultimately I,m down for whatever. I just want to ride.

As for the re route proposal tell me when and where and i will be there with a shovel cause that stretch of trail is major flow killer.

Butcher
    Bump Course purists will hate that idea, THB. Gotta either figure out a way to clean it up and make it sustainable, or reroute as you said. Not sure if the barbed wire fence indicates it's still privately owned in that section or if that's just remnants of the old property that has yet to be cleared.

I love the downhill techy ness of that stretch but as we discussed this morning the bottom is rutted out and beat to hell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for getting out there and clearing the crap, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bump Course purists will hate that idea, THB. Gotta either figure out a way to clean it up and make it sustainable, or reroute as you said. Not sure if the barbed wire fence indicates it's still privately owned in that section or if that's just remnants of the old property that has yet to be cleared.

I love the downhill techy ness of that stretch but as we discussed this morning the bottom is rutted out and beat to hell.
    Not so much a matter of bump course purists, it's a matter of people wanting to close section because they can't 'clear' it. It would be nice to have optional trails to make different loops and what not, but calling for a reroute is suggesting closing parts of it which is just more trail sanitization and is not what is needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15 View Post
    Not so much a matter of bump course purists, it's a matter of people wanting to close section because they can't 'clear' it. It would be nice to have optional trails to make different loops and what not, but calling for a reroute is suggesting closing parts of it which is just more trail sanitization and is not what is needed.
    Good point, that definitely makes sense, though I do agree that it needs work on the sustainability front even without sanitizing it. That bottom half is what frustrates me the most anyway, so maybe I'd fall in love all over again.

Or not. Like yami said, if some can get an approved plan to build an alternate trail I'll be there with my tools. I would love a better option
    Last edited by boomn; 07-27-2011 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    I've cleared it and I still hate it. And I'm definitely not talking about closing that part, just providing an alternative. A re-route is not a trail closure, I see no reason to reduce the amount of trail in the park.

mtbr member
    How long is the bump course and whats the elevation gain?

mtbr member
    It's about 14 miles and 2,000ft of climbing. Here's a GPS of the ride, but includes a few extra miles on the road. Laps 2-7 are the course.

How long is the bump course and whats the elevation gain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's about 14 miles and 2,000ft of climbing. Here's a GPS of the ride, but includes a few extra miles on the road. Laps 2-7 are the course.

14 miles should be about right for this year. I think they are going to start a little closer to 5 mile and end at 5 mile. You will have the dirt road along the creek and pavement to 5mile beyond last years finish. The thought is to get more of a big gathering area for everybody to hang out.

mtbr member
    14 miles should be about right for this year. I think they are going to start a little closer to 5 mile and end at 5 mile. You will have the dirt road along the creek and pavement to 5mile beyond last years finish. The thought is to get more of a big gathering area for everybody to hang out.
    Interesting. That will add a big sprint finish and a lot more overtaking opportunity at the end

mtbr member
    Interesting. That will add a big sprint finish and a lot more overtaking opportunity at the end
    Perfect, right when I'm on my last legs! Well, tired or not I'm hitting that jump after the shooting range and riding the wall!

Is the start going to be group start with everyone, or Pros first, then Expert, then XC, etc.?

Butcher
    I see on the website that it indicates finish line to be @ 5mile. But It was posted on the Bump Facebook page in July that finish line would be shooting range again. Start will be in the gravel parking lot @ 5 mile.

Guess we'll go with what the actual website says.

organically fed
    bummer for singlespeeders.

mtbr member
    trails were empty this morning. Felt like i had the park to myself which was kind of cool. Figured there would be a lot more people out with the bump being right around the corner. Saw like 2 people when i was headin down NR and that was it. First time ive ever ridden up B trail. That was interesting.

Butcher
    trails were empty this morning. Felt like i had the park to myself which was kind of cool. Figured there would be a lot more people out with the bump being right around the corner. Saw like 2 people when i was headin down NR and that was it. First time ive ever ridden up B trail. That was interesting.
    Yeah, I thought I'd see more riders too. Saw a couple guys riding up park road, but that was it. I was going down B-trail @ about 8:30. What time did you go up?

mtbr member
    Early. Prob around 7 30 or so. Gonna hit the POA trails in Magalia tomorrow. Its short and fast but if anybodies up for a quickie its a pretty neat little ride. Good little climb coming out too. heres my buddies go pro from the last ride there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSve8Tg9HWA

mtbr member
    Rode the Bump course yesterday and only saw to others. Course sure seemed bumpy and loose. I'm out of practice though.

mtbr member
    Today I learned that the "B" in B-Trail stands for Bear. Right at the bottom of B I saw a dust cloud and then shortly after that I was chasing a big ole black bear down the trail!

It's a good reminder that there is some big wildlife out there. I'm just glad they have good hearing and I didn't surprise it. In the past 2 weeks I've seen a fox, coyote, bobcat, and today a bear. Pretty damn cool park we have, and so close to town.

mtbr member
    Today I learned that the "B" in B-Trail stands for Bear. Right at the bottom of B I saw a dust cloud and then shortly after that I was chasing a big ole black bear down the trail!

It's a good reminder that there is some big wildlife out there. I'm just glad they have good hearing and I didn't surprise it. In the past 2 weeks I've seen a fox, coyote, bobcat, and today a bear. Pretty damn cool park we have, and so close to town.
    Woah, that's pretty close and personal! I saw bear droppings right on middle trail last night and it got me thinking about how much wildlife really is in the park hiding out in the quiet areas between trails or constantly on the move to avoid people.

Butcher

I thought that was your dust! You were on it today, man. Good work.

Head's up people... if you find a stray inner tube anywhere along the bump course, keep it. it's my karma donation. Might also be a lever or two with it. Fell out of the saddle bag (which I decided to use for the first time). :stupidme:

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    man, been in chico for years and never saw this thread - though I'm not on mtbr much. thought I'd post to get updates. Hope all chico folks are well.

mtbr member
    Just FYI, Rodney is hosting a North Rim mountain bike R.A.C.E. event at 6:30pm on Wednesday. It's basically the XC-Sport course for the Bump, so some great practice. North Rim -> B Trail -> Back on Middle Trail. Come on out and support the events, they are a LOT of fun, and the more people the more fun!

Chico Cyclist

mtbr member
    Had a cool encounter with a bobcat on Guardian yesterday. It darted out in front of me causing me to crash then just stopped and watched me. Managed to shoot a little vid of it with my phone which i will try and post later.

mtbr member
    Whoa, crazy...hope you're OK. I saw a juvenile bobcat a couple weeks ago down by Wildwood Park on the bike path.

Butcher
    My father in law saw a bobcat outside of his place near the Sterling Oaks Apts on Bruce Road. It was hunting birds at the neighbor's feeder early morning.

Critters is funny... 'specially when they mock you after a crash.

mtbr member
    So what's up with Chico Area Trail Stewardship? I just read on Facebook that the entire board of directors resigned? No reasons stated either. So is CATS now dead? I know there hasn't been a meeting in ages, and attendance and trail work days petered out there at the end of Spring.

Coming up to fall and the inevitable wet winter, I'd like to get a crew together to give some love to these wonderful Chico trails.

mtbr member
    heres the vid i shot of the cat. Showed it to my buddy who works for fish and game and he thinks its a cougar. It did look big for a bobcat but im not sure so you be the judge.
    bobcat/cougar? in upper bidwell. - YouTube

Butcher
    heres the vid i shot of the cat. Showed it to my buddy who works for fish and game and he thinks its a cougar. It did look big for a bobcat but im not sure so you be the judge.
    bobcat/cougar? in upper bidwell. - YouTube
    Cool footage, man. See, told you he was mocking you.

mtbr member
    Middle and b trail were lookin clean today goin up. Somebodys been doing some serious work im assuming in prep for the bump. Didnt see a single soul in the park till i started descending North Rim where i saw a whole bunch of bumpers heading the other way. It was nice to be the guy goin down.

organically fed
    I vote Bobcat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    May of been a WeirWolf out getting ready for the Bump tomorrow!

Just Ride
    Boothe has seen this bobcat a few time recently, he said it appears to be about 40lbs!

organically fed
    so the Chico State's mtb group (club, team, whatever?) has its flags backwards.

on the right sleeve it should be like this:

just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Wrong way

Middle and b trail were lookin clean today goin up. Somebodys been doing some serious work im assuming in prep for the bump. Didnt see a single soul in the park till i started descending North Rim where i saw a whole bunch of bumpers heading the other way. It was nice to be the guy goin down.
    Why would you go back down North Rim???
    You're supposed to go down B-trail!!!
    That is where all the fun is!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    so the Chico State's mtb group (club, team, whatever?) has its flags backwards.

on the right sleeve it should be like this:

just sayin'.
    Yeah, they are not the smartest of the bunch...I'm not surprised.

Besides, is the flag really necessary? This isn't the NFL, after all...
    What's next, a "GU" on the sleeve for Gene Upshaw??

Also, it's pretty evident that the student riders are back- the trails are pretty messed up, lots of people sliding off the trails mostly on the South side...dummies, going too fast for their abilities.

organically fed
    well, let the record show that I was merely pointing out a bit of flag etiquette trivia...not making any further extrapolations/judgement/speculation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamWOW View Post
    Yeah, they are not the smartest of the bunch...I'm not surprised.

Besides, is the flag really necessary? This isn't the NFL, after all...
    What's next, a "GU" on the sleeve for Gene Upshaw??

Also, it's pretty evident that the student riders are back- the trails are pretty messed up, lots of people sliding off the trails mostly on the South side...dummies, going too fast for their abilities.
    I think the trails are mostly messed up from the Bump, and this happens every year. It's just a lot of traffic compressed into a short amount of time. We need to get CATS to schedule some trail days and get up there for some maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamWOW View Post
    Why would you go back down North Rim???
    You're supposed to go down B-trail!!!
    That is where all the fun is!
    LOL. I always go down B trail. Its nice to change things up in once in awhile. Plus North Rim is a lot of fun descending. Dont even have to use the brakes, pinned the whole time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    we need rain to do work.
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

Butcher
    I've fattened up a bit following the bump race, so it might be me who's ruining the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scot-tea View Post
    we need rain to do work.
    Who do we talk to about getting some rain up here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think the trails are mostly messed up from the Bump, and this happens every year. It's just a lot of traffic compressed into a short amount of time. We need to get CATS to schedule some trail days and get up there for some maintenance.
    Nah! the bump was 3 weeks ago. This shittz is very very recent, like a couple days ago.
    The only trail work that should even be remotely considered is maybe raking the loose rock shittz off the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

"Closed", who woulda thunk?

It rains 0.01" and they close the trails.
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/...dew=49&wind=11
    Thanks City of Chico for infringing upon my desire to enjoy the weather on my bike!
    I guess we should expect a week or two of trail closure at this rate.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I figured this would happen. But since people won't be able to ride, now is the time to get up there and do some trail maintenance. Some parts of Guardian are getting washed down the hillside and need some love. And the upper part of middle trail is also pretty blown out. When is CATS going to schedule the next trail work day?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, I figured this would happen. But since people won't be able to ride, now is the time to get up there and do some trail maintenance. Some parts of Guardian are getting washed down the hillside and need some love. And the upper part of middle trail is also pretty blown out. When is CATS going to schedule the next trail work day?
    Is CATS even still active. I haven't seen an update on their website in months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNine3 View Post
    Is CATS even still active. I haven't seen an update on their website in months.
    They did go through some internal conflict and changes, but I also know they have been waiting for this rain to start so that we can do real trail work. There really isn't much trail work of any substance that you can do during the summer besides temporarily moving the dust piles around. We need this rain to turn it all back into workable soil

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Chico grad here and sure wish I could join in. Recognize the photos well. Enjoyed living in Chico with the exception of the summer heat. One could fire a canon down Main street during the summer and not hit anyone. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 74hc View Post
    Chico grad here and sure wish I could join in. Recognize the photos well. Enjoyed living in Chico with the exception of the summer heat. One could fire a canon down Main street during the summer and not hit anyone. Have fun!
    You CAN help, donate some money to CATS!! mmmk, thanks bye!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Do you guys still put together group rides?

mtbr member
    Yes, Tues/Thurs at 6pm @ the Hooker Oak parking lot. There are actually two groups that meet at the north end of the parking lot. It does get dark pretty quickly after 6:30pm, so bring a light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sweet... I am dropping my bike off at North Rim today to get my crank/petals fixed (long story), if I get it back in time, I will join you guys

Edit: Bike wont be done until at least Wednesday... So I won't be showing up tomorrow unless I go for the impulse purchase and pickup my Trek EX8 early.
    Last edited by GoingOffRoading; 10-17-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Yes, Tues/Thurs at 6pm @ the Hooker Oak parking lot. There are actually two groups that meet at the north end of the parking lot. It does get dark pretty quickly after 6:30pm, so bring a light.
    Get on out and ride with is!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7