Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Olson
    I saw the trail repair guy earlier this year blocking off the traditional technical line around an oak tree that had been there since I first rode it in the 80's. He made it so the cheater line is now the official trail.
    middle trail just past the toilet bowl? That one made me PO'd too; the change was good for not good for the trail or its users

mtbr member
    Vigilantly trail enforcement. You say some pretty funny ***** ShamWow! How about picking up a shovel and do some work instead of sitting behind your computer trying to be the trail police.
    That will be 60 buck, thanks.

mtbr member
    So anyone going to ride tonight? I'd be down even for a quick park road run, or maybe secret.
    "Got everything you need?"

Ride Life.
    heading out to oroville.
    maybe i'll see someone out there?
    BIKES: ZERO GALLONS PER MILE.

Ride Life.

Water Bars

Does anyone have any knowledge of building water bars on trails?
    Yesterday, I was trekking up in the park and noticed the lack of them; and as a result, noticed that one of the main reasons trails get so saturated with water is b/c of the fact that trails take on the effect of "streams" when it rains. I noticed the upper trails all transfer their water down to the middle and lower trails area.
    Water bars could help by stopping the water from turning the trails into streams and diverting it [water] to the natural gullies/canyons, to meet with existing seasonal hillside streams.
    Its pretty ridiculous that there are not more water bar features in the park. These are cheap to make; we don't need thousands of dollars projects to make trails "all season".
    Some info on water bars:
    http://www.watershed.org/?q=node/68
    http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/water_qua..._Spring_06.pdf

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I'm pretty sure that IMBA has moved away from water bars and is building rolling breaks instead now. I have one of their trail building books if you want to take a look.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Anyone up for a group ride in Oroville this weekend? Saturday and Sunday both look to be partly cloudy and temps in the mid-60s...perfect! I've been wanting to head out Potter's Ravine to North Fork and seeing the trails out there. I've never been past the Potter's Ravine loop, and I hear the North Fork goes all the way out to the Bloomer Primitive campground area. That's about 18-20 miles out, which is a bit far for me but I'd be down for a 15-20 mile round trip ride.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    The trail out to Bloomers is pretty new and bumpy with some debris on it. Not too bad, but slow going.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58971492

mtbr member
    I'm going to skip out tonight on the ride with it being so wet and rainy. I'm sure even the park road is an inch deep or more in slop. However, forecast for Thursday looks good, anyone up for a loop or park road up and back? Just got some new tires and pedals and want to give them a try.

EDIT: Disregard above...I got shamed into going. Ah well, it should be an interesting and super wet ride.
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 12-14-2010 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, ride was awesome and the rides since have been too! Weather is looking nice for tomorrow...see you all at 6pm at the parking lot. As an aside, anyone feel like driving out to Oroville to meet up with their night ride group sometime?

mtb57jim
    Come on over to Oroville Thursday 6:00pm meet at the bathrooms above the Dam. The ride will be a bit muddy, put your fenders on and charge up your lights
    Biker Buddy 57jim
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." Kenji Miyazawa

mtb57jim

Come on over

How about a couple of pictures
    Biker Buddy 57jim
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." Kenji Miyazawa

mtbr member
    WTF trails are still closed! How long has it been since it rained in Chico?

mtbr member
    About a week. Hopefully they'll be open this weekend if the weather holds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ctownposse
    WTF trails are still closed! How long has it been since it rained in Chico?
    When was the last time you were up in the park? I hiked a good portion of north rim on Sunday and it was still pretty wet. With all the fog and cold weather we've had it's not drying out. Also, water pools and runs on the lava cap right under the dirt. Even if it hasn't rained in over a week there can still be water on the lower trails - it all runs sideways rather than down.

That being said, it's been forever since I've hit up middle and I'm itching to get out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sevkev
    Woo hoo! This is like putting a desert buffet in front of a bulemic! Time to binge, but without all that guilt, only sore legs and exhaustion

mtbr member
    The only problem figuring out what to ride. I think I'll start with a little North Rim and move on to a nicely bermed B-Trail (Thanks north rim adventure sports!). After that a spot of Middle Trail will round out the ride nicely...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Trails are awesome. Hit up North>B>Middle yesterday. Busy today but hopefully I'll make it out again on sunday. Ride it while you can!

mtbr member
    i have a question guys..

what would you say an easy (beginner) loop would be in upper park? roughly 10-15 miles starting from downtown....i just got a mountain bike and want to check it out tomorrow. is north rim to B trail to middle a good loop?

thanks

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by m1356guy
    i have a question guys..

what would you say an easy (beginner) loop would be in upper park? roughly 10-15 miles starting from downtown....i just got a mountain bike and want to check it out tomorrow. is north rim to B trail to middle a good loop?

thanks

Great loop, but probably not considered "easy". If you're a beginner in terms of technical ability, I would recommend you start by riding up the park road. Park road to Middle Trail (@ Salmon Hole) is pretty popular for beginners. Or just play around on Lower Trail to see how technical some of the easier stuff in Bidwell can be.

mtbr member
    Stoked for an actual night ride in Bidwell tonight! As usual, meet at Hooker Oak parking lot at 6pm. I vote for a South Rim->Bloody Pin->Guardian loop, but I'm up for anything...all the trails up there are good right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by m1356guy
    i have a question guys..

thanks
    You can take the lower park trails up along the North side of the creek, then when you hit upper park, Middle trail from the North Rim parking lot out to Bear Hole and back on Lower Trail. Not all 'beginner' but easy to see lines and a good route to learn on. I would also look to hook up with some other riders, seeing the line to take makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    The weekend was way too short! I had a blast playing around with my new "cross" bike on North Rim, Maidu and Middle, but never did get a longer ride in

TwoHeads, are you planning a group night ride any other nights this week?

mtbr member
    Tonight is the only one I'm going to, but the group usually does both Tuesdays and Thursday nights. I'll be riding again this weekend, hopefully both days if the weather holds on Sunday. What's your new "cross" bike? SS rigid 29er?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Tonight is the only one I'm going to, but the group usually does both Tuesdays and Thursday nights. I'll be riding again this weekend, hopefully both days if the weather holds on Sunday. What's your new "cross" bike? SS rigid 29er?
    Close! It's a geared rigid 29er I built with spare parts and half a year of watching for deals. The frame and fork combo has almost exactly the same geo as a normal cross bike and I'm using cross tires, higher gearing (42/26 and 11-28 cassette), and a racier body position (though still using flat bars) so it flies on the road almost like a road bike, but it handles surprisingly well on the trails too. The 160mm BB7s definitely help with that vs. canti's on a normal cross bike. I built it to be my road bike and gravel road explorer, but I think it should be a blast for trails like Oroville too. Riding skinny cross tires in Bidwell is a fun challenge, but maybe not one I'll do regularly.

mtbr member
    Dude, I'm jealous! Sounds like an awesome bike for a Lake Almanor to Chico bike packing trip. BTW, I'm going to start planning that for this summer. So far, I've got a couple friends interested but it would be fun to get a big group to go. I'm thinking to split it up into a couple days.

Day 1: (Friday afternoon/evening?) Get dropped off at Lake Almanor, Ride 8.5 miles to Yellow Creek Campground. Hang out, fish, play cards, etc. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/113269
    Day 2: Ride 21 miles, 2900' of climbing over the Humboldt Summit from Yellow Creek to Jonesville. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/113274
    Day 3: Ride 38 miles, over 6,000' descent from Jonesville to Chico, dropping into the park for the last bit. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/113278
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 01-25-2011 at 01:48 PM.

May the Force be with you
    Stoked for an actual night ride in Bidwell tonight! As usual, meet at Hooker Oak parking lot at 6pm. I vote for a South Rim->Bloody Pin->Guardian loop, but I'm up for anything...all the trails up there are good right now.

I was going to suggest we ride that tonight also

mtbr member
    Dude, I'm jealous! Sounds like an awesome bike for a Lake Almanor to Chico bike packing trip.
    Ooh, that would be cool. It all started because my family got a cabin near Mt Lassen and I was realizing how many miles and miles of fire roads and jeep trails there are as well as the paved roads that can be all be combined into huge, beautiful loops. Since it's a 29er frame and fork I can always throw in some 2.1 Nanos or similar if cross tires are too rough for some loops. I'm really excited about my new steed

organically fed
    I had a thoroughly enjoyable ride on Sunday, North Rim to Blue Oak to Middle, and then Lower was so muddy I hiked back up to Middle. It was my first mtb ride in over a year but I haven't missed a step, aside from the three dabs (that's 75 push-ups).

As usual, I saw minimal trail damage from some irresponsible mtb'ers and some atrocious bullshiz from the equestrians.

mtbr member
    "nicely bermed B-Trail (Thanks north rim adventure sports!)"
    +1 much appreciated. For those that have been riding weekly for years on B-trail, how long do you anticipate the berms to hold up? Are these new or re-constructed? What can be done to make sure they last? How can I help?

What is the deal with the equestrian use? Sh#t in the middle of the trail, tracks all over off the designated routes, and glaring looks (as if I'm not allowed to use the trail). Not so much as a wave or an attempt to let me pass, even though I slow waaaaaay down. Tired of it. /rant

Skiing sucks right now so I’m stoked the trails are open. Strange weather this winter.

mtbr member
    I always try to start up a conversation with equestrians, even if they're non-conversational. Usually I ask how they are doing, then ask if their horses are afraid of bikes. I let them know I don't want to scare their horse as I ride past (hint hint). They usually get the point, and on Friday a rider wanted me to ride slowly up to their horse so that they could smell the bike, me, and get used to the idea of sharing the trail. I had a good conversation and hopefully helped the horse and rider feel more at ease about bikes. Nobody likes worrying about getting launched out of their saddle.

I hate the piles of poo on the trail, and personally I think they should have to wear a poo bag, just like dog owners have to pick up their dog's poo. BUT, I doubt that is going to happen, and the equestrian community has done a lot to develop and maintain trails in the Bidwell Park. I say we work together to make things better, and try to be civil when we can.

organically fed
    I was pretty disappointed to see the damage done by the horses. I started taking a bunch of photos, but then I realized that since I don't have the time to try and do anything positive about it, it was just ruining my ride and stealing my energy to even focus on it.

I deleted the pics I did take, but I wish I'd kept a few that showed barely-perceptible mtb tracks next to the horse craters...just to illustrate the difference in typical impact from the two activities.

Butcher
    Horse sh1t is just reconstituted grass, fruit & veggies, so I don't mind it nearly as much as getting dog sh1t on my bike (and me).

mtbr member
    I'll take option 3) No $hit on me or my bike.

mtbr member
    Too bad about the rain yesterday. I wonder how long it will take for them to reopen the trails with the forecasted sunny weather for the next while.

mtbr member

Question for fellow Bidwell riders….

What is a good loop for climbing and descending the south side of the park? I went up Guardians on Friday, made it fine until daylight ran out, had to walk a few sections due to the slippery rocks and a few quick climbs I was not prepared for. While coming down the hill it was getting dark, I was super stoked and rolling quick, and I ended up going Guardian to the lower section of Annie B. Only a few minor spills, had a total blast overall.

On the way up, many riders were on their way down. Was I going against the flow? Is it more proper to just ride Annie B all the way up to 10 Mile then ride Guardian down or just stay on Guardian each way?

Sorry for the newb-ish question. I’ve grown competent on North Rim to B to Middle and just wanted to mix it up before the trails closed again.

Also noticed most riders were on 26” FS with flats, am I crazy for riding a 29”HT with clips? I can’t be the only one right? Is Guardian considered the “downhill” part of the trail network?

Not trying to start a flame war or get criticized for my weak riding abilities, just looking for advice and feedback. Thanks.

mtbr member
    A LOT of people like to shuttle Guardian's because their bike is too heavy to ride up . JK, I think going down Guardian's is WAY more fun. A good way to go is to head up Annie Bidwell/South Rim, take Bloody Pin up to Guardians, and then take that back down. You'll be going with the flow more, and enjoying the best downhill in Bidwell.

Another option is to take Annie Bidwell all the way up to 10 mile house road (gravel double track), then head up the trail to Guardian's. That will give you a bit more downhill at the cost of hauling your butt up the road. It's a great workout, but honestly I prefer riding up Bloody Pin.

And as for clips/flats, it's whatever you're comfortable with. More of the downhill/shuttle riders like flats, but almost everyone you see riding Bidwell will have clips. I find it much easier to climb with clips, but to each their own. As for full suspension, it's not a requirement but I just recently transitioned to a FS from a 29er HT and all I can say is that I'm having a LOT more fun, and going faster especially downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swill'n
    Also noticed most riders were on 26” FS with flats, am I crazy for riding a 29”HT with clips? I can’t be the only one right?
    Nope, right there with you buddy!

Is Guardian considered the “downhill” part of the trail network?:
    Pretty much. Lots of people shuttle up Hwy 32, park at the "Green Gate" lot, and only ride downhill. The Annie Bidwell/Bloody Pin loop that TwoHeads described is probably the best way, but if you're really feeling adventurous try North Rim to B Trail, wade across the creek, climb up Ten Mile House road, and down Guardians (otherwise known as the Bidwell Bump xc race long course)

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I've left my hardtail for smoother trails and ride my 5" travel FS only in the park, more fun, much faster, less jammed wrists and compressed vertebrae. Clipless for me and I rarely go UP Guardian.

mtbr member
    Anybody going out tonight?

mtbr member
    I'm going to pass tonight, but I'll be out there Thursday night. Hopefully the trails will be open by then.

mtbr member
    Trails Are Open!

Three Wheeler Expert
    I got yelled at by one pissed off lady a few months ago riding up north rim. She was building a cheater line up one of the volcanic rock hill climbs that is fun to do and technical. Anyways she was stacking rocks on these two rock "steps" that you have to climb up to, but she couldn't make it so she decided to make the main route everyone takes easier. I asked her to stop and she started screamed at me saying that not every can afford a "5,000" dollar bike and that she had been "riding bidwell" for 20 years. All I did was ask her to not make a cheater line on something everyone rides up. I started moving her rocks away and she became really pissed. Watch out for her, she rides a trek and does not like her cheater lines messed with!
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjohnny
    I got yelled at by one pissed off lady a few months ago riding up north rim. She was building a cheater line up one of the volcanic rock hill climbs that is fun to do and technical. Anyways she was stacking rocks on these two rock "steps" that you have to climb up to, but she couldn't make it so she decided to make the main route everyone takes easier. I asked her to stop and she started screamed at me saying that not every can afford a "5,000" dollar bike and that she had been "riding bidwell" for 20 years. All I did was ask her to not make a cheater line on something everyone rides up. I started moving her rocks away and she became really pissed. Watch out for her, she rides a trek and does not like her cheater lines messed with!
    sounds like the same lady I saw digging out rocks from the middle of middle trail to "make it easier"

mtbr member
    Well, nobody should be doing any "building" at all unless it's been pushed through the parks department. She may not like it, but trail modifications need to be planned and approved before trail work can begin. Personally, I wish it were easier to get things through, but this story kind of makes me think otherwise. By the way, what part of North Rim was it?

mtbr member
    Was it this step? Because I could use some help there

mtbr member
    Yep, that's a challenging one especially when it's dry and slippery. Right now it's not bad as the soil is nice and tacky. The red line is my normal line, the blue line is my "too tired to build up speed" line.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's a challenging one especially when it's dry and slippery. Right now it's not bad as the soil is nice and tacky. The red line is my normal line, the blue line is my "too tired to build up speed" line.
    I haven't gone all the way up North Rim since I put some gears back on my main bike, but when I was riding SS I was usually cooked enough by the time I got to that section that I had my blinders on and always attacked the red line even when it didn't make sense. My gearing was always too high for my tired legs to keep the bike moving after I lost momentum getting the front wheel up. I might have to try the cheater line next time up, then again I've got all these cheater options on my bike now

Three Wheeler Expert
    Yep thats the step she tried to screw up. She was trying to make it "easier" and boomn it was probably them same lady. She was on an older full suspension trek cross country bike and livid! That step is fun to climb once you get the hang of it.
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It's difficult but rideable. She needs to be an adult.

mtbr member
    Rode last night, tacky and perfect. I'll be out there tonight too, 6pm @ Hooker Oak parking lot. B-trail is calling my name...

mtbr member
    As the weather gets warmer and the sun comes up earlier, I want to start riding 2-3 days during the week in the morning before work. With a family, it gets tough to take 2 nights out of the week but mornings for me are a bit easier. Anyone interested in hitting the trails at 5:30am for a 1-2 hour ride once the weather gets a bit warmer?

It's still in the 30s before sunrise, but in the next 3-4 weeks that should be increasing into the 40s making it a lot more enjoyable.

organically fed
    looks like about 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

mtbr member
    I wish we had a larger network of fireroads nearby. It's certainly not nearly as fun as singletrack, but at least I can be outside in nature, turning the cranks, and getting in a lot of good miles of exercise. Hitting 30 on the downhills is it's own kind of fun too

Does anyone know where bike tires can be recycled in Chico or Oroville? I did try to throw one out a while ago and the trash guys picked it out and put it back in my can, plus I'd rather recycle anyway if possible

mtbr member
    I don't know about fire roads, but there are tons of dirt/gravel roads starting from 10 Mile House and also from Honey Run. It takes a bit to get up there on a bike but there are many miles of dirt roads between Chico, Forest Ranch, Cohasset and Paradise.

mtbr member
    I don't know about fire roads, but there are tons of dirt/gravel roads starting from 10 Mile House and also from Honey Run. It takes a bit to get up there on a bike but there are many miles of dirt roads between Chico, Forest Ranch, Cohasset and Paradise.
    cool, time to explore some more Too bad there aren't more Saturdays during the week

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I'm all for the gravel roads too.
    Here's a route i've been doing that is gravel and paved, it's a good workout and remote: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25382583

Recycle tires here: AS Chico Recycling Donation Center, Corner of W. 4th St. & Cherry St., Chico

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    I'm all for the gravel roads too.
    Here's a route i've been doing that is gravel and paved, it's a good workout and remote: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25382583

Recycle tires here: AS Chico Recycling Donation Center, Corner of W. 4th St. & Cherry St., Chico
    Thanks for both. That does looks like a good challenge; I didn't even know you could connect around like that. Do you know if any of the roads through the bottom of that canyon are decent alternatives to make a shorter loop as well (map says Stilson Canyon and Doe Mill)?

mtbr member
    If you're up for a drive and just want to explore a bit, take Garland Rd at Forest Ranch to where it intersect Doe Mill. Take a left (almost a u-turn) onto Doe Mill and head down into the Butte Creek Canyon. There is a short section of single track at the bridge if you want to ride it on the downstream side of Butte Creek. The trail continues for a few miles, but it get so rough and there are some stairs so it's hike-a-bike for a lot of it. BUT, there are some incredible views of the canyon and it's well worth the drive.

Blaino
    Anyone have some GPS (.gpx) files of some sweet single track in the Chico Paradise area or even KMZ's or KML's??? I will be down from Redding visiting my inlaws this weekend March 5th & 6th. I see on the website that Bidwell trails are closed. It seems I have read of a Honey Run DH ride??? Im mostly a XC rider but wouldnt mind doing a Downhill since I may have someone to Shuttle me.
    Blaine
    Blaino

mtbr member
    Open singletrack is going to be hard to find this weekend, since Bidwell is going to be closed. If you're OK with a bit of a drive, there are some great trails in Oroville and they're open all the time. It's about 20 minutes from Hwy 99 to the top of the Oroville dam, and you've got a pretty good choice of trails. Check these rides out:

1. Diversion Pool below the dam -> Up to the Dam (great singletrack): http://goo.gl/maps/Tr4t
    2. Potters Ravine (wide smooth trail from North side of dam): http://goo.gl/maps/wsOk
    3. North Fork (same side as Potter's, but 9.5 miles one way with one good creek crossing): http://goo.gl/maps/xVqQ
    4. South side of dam (no map for this one, but there are lots of horse and bike trails that extend many miles)

It's a bit of a drive, but it will be the best riding around with the trails closed around Chico. AFAIK, there isn't a whole lot of sustained riding trails in Paradise except for the flumes, which I wouldn't ride alone for the first time. Some of the catwalks are very narrow and extend over 100 foot cliffs, so if you eat it you run the risk of injury or death. You can always walk the sections with sharp turns just to be safe.

Flume ride video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l803qEkow
    Garmin map showing a section of the flumes (from Magalia down to Pentz Road): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70287149

Blaino
    Thanks for the heads up TwoHeads! I'll deffinatly not be on the flumes..... I need more practice before I go riding catwalks...
    Blaino

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    a few new rules for upper park you should know.

1. trails are closed to bikes on all federal holidays.

2. rain now only closes trails named after numbers.
    (eg. trail 2)

3. people with a first name for a last name, are no longer welcome in upper park at all.
    (eg. george michael, michael vick, sean tracy ect..ect)

4. bikes are only allowed on the trails if the air temp. is over 92 F

like always report all infractions to the parks dpt.

thank you
    scot-tea
    president
    best friends for forever of bidwell park
    now get out there and ride! (as soon as it is 92F)
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by scot-tea

3. people with a first name for a last name, are no longer welcome in upper park at all.
    (eg. george michael, michael vick, sean tracy ect..ect)
    Vick is a first name?
    Last edited by highdelll; 03-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Yea did you see the new rule posted on the park web site " No Mountain Bikes allowed in Upper Park If Hikers are Walking on trails or Stretching in the parking lot "

new member : best friends for forever of bidwell park
    Bring the THUNDER !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

it's short for victor

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Vick is a first name?
    fill free to add rules.
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. needs more rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty crosley
    Yea did you see the new rule posted on the park web site " No Mountain Bikes allowed in Upper Park If Hikers are Walking on trails or Stretching in the parking lot "

new member : best friends for forever of bidwell park
    we are looking for new members. with new ideas. we need rules.

would you like to be on the rules committe?

scot-tea
    president
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p

mtbr member
    we are looking for new members. with new ideas. we need rules.

would you like to be on the rules committe?

scot-tea
    president
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p
    I don't know about that, it's a bit hasty don't you think? How about we make some rules first about making new rules? Maybe we should schedule a discovery committee to appoint the scheduling committee and seek out a meeting location? If something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

~Disc~Golf~
    fill free to add rules.
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. needs more rules
    "Vic", yeah, short for victor - "Vick" - not so much - new rule perhaps?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    highdell,
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. would you to be our internet sentinal.
    this will put you incharge of internet moutain biking.
    its pretty simple really. all we ask is for you to respond to every post in a slightly condesinding tone. wile showing your comand of the english langage by correcting spelling and gramer.
    thank you
    scot-tea
    president
    best friends for...forever of bidwell park

mtbr member
    If you're up for a drive and just want to explore a bit, take Garland Rd at Forest Ranch to where it intersect Doe Mill. Take a left (almost a u-turn) onto Doe Mill and head down into the Butte Creek Canyon. There is a short section of single track at the bridge if you want to ride it on the downstream side of Butte Creek. The trail continues for a few miles, but it get so rough and there are some stairs so it's hike-a-bike for a lot of it. BUT, there are some incredible views of the canyon and it's well worth the drive.
    I learned to trail ride in Butte Creek Canyon, rough and dicey. This was the 80’s until ‘98, through fire, floods, and grows. In addition to position oak and mountain lions, speeding cars were always of critical concern. Center Gap Rd became one of my favorite rides up and back from my childhood home on Honey Run Rd. Always had a decent ridged 26” MTB Giant or Nishiki around. I’d pump the well abused tires to max for the roads then air down. Occasionally, I would take HW32 to the valley by way of Doe Mill Rd. to what is now Wilder Dr, Canyon Shadows Rd and out.

Thinking about all this, I realized I would not mind doing a longish cross type ride from town up HW32 over to the Centerville and back. With the current unstable weather this could scratch the itch this weekend. Anyone down?

mtbr member
    I'm going to be hitting the road this Saturday, but if the weather holds I'd definitely be down for a gravel road tour.

Butcher
    Any news on the Trek Remedy that some dirt bag stole from one of the CATS members while he was working on B-trail? That was f'cked to say the least.

mtbr member
    Dude, what??? I hope it wasn't Daniel's. He JUST got his bike put back together after getting the frame warrantied from Trek. Did it happen just this last weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    Any news on the Trek Remedy that some dirt bag stole from one of the CATS members while he was working on B-trail? That was f'cked to say the least.
    No update as of the Monday CATS meeting and I haven't heard anything more, but I'm not too connected with those guys.

I've heard some people talking about how we might have been staked out, sold out or something as a very nice carbon bike was nearly stolen month too but a latecomer happened to see the thief riding it down the park road and got the bike back, and then this bike which was one of the nicest in Chico gets jacked.

mtbr member
    Dude, what??? I hope it wasn't Daniel's. He JUST got his bike put back together after getting the frame warrantied from Trek. Did it happen just this last weekend?
    Nope, it's Loren's. Black Trek Remedy, RS Revelation World Cup with carbon crown and white lowers, XX drivetrain, XTR crankset, DT Swiss Tricon wheels. Keep your eyes out

No it's not Daniel's bike. I guess someone tried to walk off with a bike last time they did trail work on B. That guy was caught in the act. It's a shame !

I'm planning a ride on Saturday if anyone wants to get out. Not sure when or where yet.
    I have the race on Sunday in Cool..

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's time for a bait bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the best friends for...forever of bidwell park
    recomend always locking your bike when out of sight.
    we do feel bad about this event.
    remember this hapend deep in upper park
    they are not hikers, they are suspects!

Ride Life.

'Ville

Anyone for an Oroville XC type ride later on today?
    I'm going out that way in about 1-2 hours (sorry, last min. decision).

mtbr member
    Okay...Just got back from a quick park road training ride. The road was dusty due to car traffic. Talked with the ranger, asked about north rim. Rumor has it, will be open tomorrow! Just thought I'd share the good news. Best, swill'n

Okay...Just got back from a quick park road training ride. The road was dusty due to car traffic. Talked with the ranger, asked about north rim. Rumor has it, will be open tomorrow! Just thought I'd share the good news. Best, swill'n
    Thanks for the Info

mtbr member
    Arrrghghhgh!!!! I've been getting some road miles in, but my trail bike is in the shop. My fork needed to go back to Fox in Watsonville to be rebuilt/replaced, so I'm stuck riding on the road for the time being. I know the trails are just going to be perfect too, nice and tacky! Have fun out there, do an extra run for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Was in the park this morning just before 8am. The park ranger passed me on his way out of upper park as I was heading in, all trail signs still said closed. Hopefully they will check and open this afternoon.

Butcher
    tick tock

mtbr member
    I went out hiking yesterday evening with my family and had a picnic up on monkey rock. The trails are hard packed and a bit DUSTY. I only saw standing water in a few areas, and those were tiny puddles. If they don't open the trails today, I'd be very surprised.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Open....go get it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Trails Are Open!!!!

mtbr member
    You think my 1987 Fuji Tahoe survive a north rim / B-trail run?

Butcher
    Beautiful sight

mtbr member
    You think my 1987 Fuji Tahoe survive a north rim / B-trail run?

Hell Yeah it will. I started riding those trails on a fully rigid back in the day. Not as fun as a fully though.

mtbr member
    My first ride up North Rim was in 1990 on a fully rigid Bridgestone. Now I'm on a 6" Commencal. I don't know why anybody would ride a fully rigid bike up there. Have fun with that. Maybe take the fenders off.

mtbr member
    Nah, I'll keep the fenders on just for the funny looks I'll get!

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinercom
    My first ride up North Rim was in 1990 on a fully rigid Bridgestone. Now I'm on a 6" Commencal. I don't know why anybody would ride a fully rigid bike up there. Have fun with that. Maybe take the fenders off.

Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Weekly Chico Rides?-surlybw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yep, rigid isn't bad at all here, you just can't expect to let loose and bomb the trails at the same speed. Ride it a bit slower and pick your lines more carefully through the rocks. Even cross tires can be fun in Upper Park

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mxracer33x]Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?[/QUOTE
    Soon I hope. Warm evenings call for beer and pump track fun. Your Surly is bada$$. Even if the bars are as wide as some of those gay fixies people ride around. Lets ride soon Jim.

Busted!!!
    [QUOTE=tinercom]
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?[/QUOTE
    Soon I hope. Warm evenings call for beer and pump track fun. Your Surly is bada$$. Even if the bars are as wide as some of those gay fixies people ride around. Lets ride soon Jim.
    LOL, they are actually a full 30" now! Lowell needed some skinny ones for his moms rig. I guess I was riding with sissy bars.

mtbr member

Downed Tree/Inpirational Photos.

On the start my ride yesterday up AnneB on the south side I can across this:

No way I can hop over that thing!

Anyway...trails are amazing right now. Thought I'd share some pics.

So smooth right now after the light rain...ahhh

Went up 10mile to Guardians and had a blast. Now get out and ride before it's 100degrees! Happy Trials.

mtbr member
    Yep, that tree is a definite obstacle. On my Tuesday ride, we found a way through the olive trees around it. Nice pics!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7