Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ride Life.
    rode it earlier this evening, and as nice as it flows, it may be a bit too easy now....i'll take the high road still. good work nonetheless; was it park approved?
    BIKES: ZERO GALLONS PER MILE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    there has been a quite a bit of trail sanitizing going on lately. a lot of people need to adjust their skill level to the trail and quit adjusting the trail to their level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicohigh5
    there has been a quite a bit of trail sanitizing going on lately. a lot of people need to adjust their skill level to the trail and quit adjusting the trail to their level.
    I agree, lets enjoy the gnar gnar while we can cause someday all the trails may be like that crap down by horseshoe lake.How about making the trails more challenging by building some jumps and stuff? Let's not contribute to the wussification of mountainbiking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have to go check it out first hand, but looks like a nice technical section was removed. The area needed a little work, not removed. From the look of the picture, it will washout in a hurry, maybe this weekend. From what I heard of the work off line roots were cut and rocks removed, typically not good if your trying to prevent erosion.

A agree, leave the technical sections technical, middle trail had to many bypass trails made this summer!

May the Force be with you
    Challenging trails are great, but we don't want to give the city counsel more reasons to complain about Mountain bikers.If you make the trails too challenging people will go right back to cutting in new lines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    dont be a wuss ther is nothing in upper park that is so technical it should be changed if you think hard trails will get complained about think about all of the complaints that will come in about 100 year old tree roots getting cut to widen the trail so some gaper can ride it instead of walk.

mtbr member
    No need for name calling as Nor Cals intentions were good. How about we keep the south side rough and tumble and let the north side be sissyfied, since it's already on it's way to being that.

Butcher
    Haven't been able to get out and ride the last couple weeks, so I gotta get over to that root section and see what it looks like. Maybe I'll walk in later today or tomorrow and see if it stood up to the rains.

I have to agree with one thing though... cutting out those roots cannot be a good thing.

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    This section wasn't broken.

Another challenging and fun section bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by norcalchico
    The rooted area on south rim has been fixed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    there have already been a bunch of complaints to the city about the south rim trail work i really hope that this doesn't become the final reason the city needs to kick bikes out. i don't think a lot of people get it the park is not meant to be changed we are lucky enough to be there in the first place and the last thing we need is a group of unskilled riders that change the trails so they can finally ride them please don't do any un sanctioned trail work definitely don't cut out any small trees or roots and please stay on the main trail. trail widening has been going on a lot lately and we all need to just be more respectful of the park.i cant even tell you how many times i have been in the park and seen bad tubes and empty goo packets on the side of the trail i can honestly see how a lot of people want bikes out of the park with all that's been happening lately.

mtbr member
    NOBODY should be doing any unauthorized trail work. I totally agree that the trails need to remain rugged. That's what makes the park special. I've been riding the park since 1989 and it would be disastrous if that privelage was taken away. Get the proper authorization to do work. If you can't ride a section, get off and walk. There is no shame in that. Don't create cheater lines period.

P.S. If you take your dog up there, pick up the sh*t bags!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Weekly Chico Rides?-oz_003.jpg  

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by tinercom
    NOBODY should be doing any unauthorized trail work. I totally agree that the trails need to remain rugged. That's what makes the park special. I've been riding the park since 1989 and it would be disastrous if that privelage was taken away. Get the proper authorization to do work. If you can't ride a section, get off and walk. There is no shame in that. Don't create cheater lines period.

YES... to all of this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tinercom

Also no shame in pushing your bike uphill

mtbr member
    I just think that too many people want to adjust the trail to their riding skill. Take the root section for example, I typically don't clean that section. My skill level is not up to it. Tim Olson makes it look easy, he has the skill. It's up to me to build up to it not change the trail because I can't clean it. This is an easy concept.

mtbr member

Not Good !!!

Went up to see the " improvements " on the south side today and DANG !!!#%$#%%#
    looks like a twister ripped that place a new one.
    Sorry to see that they removed the drop before the waterfall ( don't know the name of that cool slick rock face section ) I lost a good bit of skin there learning the drop and loved the line once I learned it.
    Who ever did all this did not know what they were doing and the rain has turned it into a mud slide, mud bog disaster.
    Hope someone on here can talk to who ever is responsible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Weekly Chico Rides?-southrim-fix.jpg  

New Weekly Chico Rides?-roots-cut.jpg  

New Weekly Chico Rides?-falls.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Too Funny Marty, I was just going to post pictures of the same thing. Perfect example of why people that have no idea about trail work should do work of this magnitude. It's mush worse than it was and this is after one storm. Now that it is a sloppy slog of mud, more will wash down for sure.

ps, the person who did the work will surely see the damage they did as well as catch flack from fellow riders, plenty know who he is.

I didn't do the work. Just because I came across the section first and thought it was a faster line?
    I really haven't had time to get out much lately with working so much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    change of Pace, here is a quick video I put together for Team Chico riding the flumes - do you get vertigo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l803qEkow

organically fed
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15
    change of Pace, here is a quick video I put together for Team Chico riding the flumes - do you get vertigo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l803qEkow
    I couldn't hang beyond 40 seconds...too slow to start, didn't grab me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    I couldn't hang beyond 40 seconds...too slow to start, didn't grab me.
    Stays slow too. Nothing I've ever seen about that trail sounds like ripping fast descents, just terrifying looking trials-like balance acts (maybe I've missed something though?). Nothing wrong with that, just different trails for different folks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Stays slow too. Nothing I've ever seen about that trail sounds like ripping fast descents, just terrifying looking trials-like balance acts (maybe I've missed something though?). Nothing wrong with that, just different trails for different folks
    Not sure what led you guys to expect ripping single track, just adventures beyond Bidwell.

mtbr member
    Not sure what led you guys to expect ripping single track, just adventures beyond Bidwell.
    Never said I did, and I didn't say slow and trialsy is bad either. I knew that's what the trail is like, I was trying to clear it up for w00t

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I liked it tomass15.

It's been a long time (10 years?) since I've ridden those flumes and that video makes me want to go back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The whole flume trail is basically level from start to finish, so no vertical drop. But it has great scenery and the balance required to ride the catwalks is a worthy challenge. Good chance to see some wildlife too. When the Chico trails are closed, the flumes are a nice alternative. Unless you're prepared to do an out and back on the flume, you will get a monster climb up to Magalia at the end. From there you can loop back through Paradise or straight back down the Centerville gravel road or cross over to Forest Ranch on Garland road.

And all those sections of south rim trail were already rideable in both directions.

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sevkev
    I liked it tomass15.

It's been a long time (10 years?) since I've ridden those flumes and that video makes me want to go back.

Night ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RadChad
    Night ride?
    yes please.

organically fed
    lawlz. I wasn't expecting "ripping singletrack". I just couldn't get beyond the first 40 seconds of intro in the video.

YOUZ GUYZ READY?

CHECKZORZ!

THUMBZ UP!

WE'Z READY!

LET'Z DO DIS!

CHECK!

THUMBZ UP!

BOO-YA!

HERE WE GO!

WE'RE GONNA GO NOW!

ERRYBUDDY READY TO GO?

LET'S GO!

ROLL THE PHAT BEATS, THIS IS GONNA BE EXCITIN'!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Olson
    And all those sections of south rim trail were already rideable in both directions.
    Says the guy who can do the bump in damn near an hour.

Serious how did you up up that rock "waterfall" thing? I couldn't imagine carrying enough momentum to get up that and then be in a position to clear the little rooted drop part. But I guess that is why you're a pro rider and I am not

Tim, Can you ride that rock face when its wet (but trails are open)?

Cool video of the Flumes, Aaron is an amazing rider.
    Last edited by Renovatio; 12-14-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Butcher
    I hiked up to this afternoon and got a look at that section Marty just posted.

Horrible.

It looks like the work of children.

So yes, Norcalchico... I know it wasn't you or anyone you ride with. I got your back.

I also saw fresh tire tracks. As in... they look like they're from today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Says the guy who can do the bump in damn near an hour.

Serious how did you up up that rock "waterfall" thing? I couldn't imagine carrying enough momentum to get up that and then be in a position to clear the little rooted drop part. But I guess that is why you're a pro rider and I am not

Tim, Can you ride that rock face when its wet (but trails are open)?

Cool video of the Flumes, Aaron is an amazing rider.
    I've ridden that tons of times with lots of people(including Tim) and I've never seen anybody clean that whole section. Damn near impossible I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've seen my brother Nick clean that whole thing uphill. Look for a video of it soon.

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    I've seen my brother Nick clean that whole thing uphill. Look for a video of it soon.
    Something about the Olson name and cycling super powers.

mtbr member
    I hear there's a "How to succesfully ride the Bidwell Bump in under an hour" DVD coming out. Look for it.

mtbr member
    there needs to be " How to ride Bidwell for dumbies"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petedog_h
    Seriously

mtbr member
    That work on the south BAD! I "rode" those flumes a long tome ago and the water was running wich caused me some serious vertigo. Look's like it might be fun when it's dry.

Busted!!!
    I think we need to have a Chico Riders meet and greet one night. Pick a time and place to throw back some beers. Then I'll know who to kick in the nuts after reading some of these posts.

I havent been out much this year, but damn it sounds like some tools are really out to get the MTB trails under some serious scrutiny. "Rogue" maintenance used to be where it was at, typically it was well thought out and used to keep our trails functioning, now we have the pussification and sanitization of some of the best MTB trails in Northern California. Ill tell it the same way I do to some of the Idiots I work with, IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, LEAVE IT THE **** ALONE! If you want to "help" get with the park trails department and they can put you in touch with an adopted trails sponsor. Work within their goals and guidlines. Lisi Peters is the Adopt-a-trail contact. lspeters@ci.chico.ca.us

There is no shame in walking a section, or not being able to clean a section. Keep working at it, progress as a rider and a person. Making "cheater" lines around obstacles is only going to bring the haters down on us and get these trails limited more and more.

Maybe the Thunderbringers can have a clinic to show the newbs how to ride over the cobble so they wont keep digging it up? (and i still want to go photog for you nutjobs one day when your coming down humboldt and off disc golf. I'll bring the Jagerator and redbull.)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    I think we need to have a Chico Riders meet and greet one night. Pick a time and place to throw back some beers. ...
    MAN!!, I wish that happened before..
    maybe when I'm back to Chico that can happen (for me)
    -Great Idea
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Ride Life.
    Quote Originally Posted by petedog_h
    Hah. I could used one of these about 7 years ago...
    Quite an intimidating trail system if you ain't used to it.

BIKES: ZERO GALLONS PER MILE.

mtbr member

Oroville sunday ?

Anyone know about a ride sunday in Oroville ??? Cherokee ?? I heard about it third hand but no info. Thanks....marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marty crosley
    Anyone know about a ride sunday in Oroville ??? Cherokee ?? I heard about it third hand but no info. Thanks....marty

Hey Marty, Glad you made the ride today, good to have you as part of the crowd.

mtbr member
    Hey Marty, Glad you made the ride today, good to have you as part of the crowd.
    That was EPIC!!!
    Thank you and the whole dirty dozen for my favorite Chico/Oroville group ride yet. Look forward to many more.
    These mad dogs led us on close to five hours of Oroville trails and ...COW TRAIL !!
    OOOOOO She is so SWEET.....
    Great to meet you all Please keep me in the mad dog loop
    marty@crosley-photography.com

someone had a photo or two????

We got a late start.
    It was Great running into some of you guys on the way out yesterday. We got caught in the rain on the way back to the car.

mtb57jim
    Great ride norcalchico the trails were great just a little mud, You wanted those upper rocks I could tell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Weekly Chico Rides?-100_0988.jpg  

Biker Buddy 57jim
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." Kenji Miyazawa

mtbr member
    Are you all still riding Tue/Thurs nights in Bidwell, or taking a break with this rain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Are you all still riding Tue/Thurs nights in Bidwell, or taking a break with this rain?
    It feels like its been forever since I've ridden in Bidwell (thanks for the reminder ). Trails are currently closed to bikes and horses and have been for about two weeks I think. They close whenever it rains and for a few days after so the trails can dry properly.

Hopefully they will open again very soon Unless the forecast changes we should get a small window of opportunity this Christmas weekend

We Rode Oroville last night. Great group of guy's. The trails are in pretty good shape over there.

Butcher
    I haven't ridden since Thanksgiving.

Gonna hit Henry Coe on X-mas eve morning... and hopefully a few more times while I'm down there for the holidays.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    fun little video me and my friend adam put together im in the red shirt

<object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/115709/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/115709/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicohigh5
    fun little video me and my friend adam put together im in the red shirt

<object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/115709/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/115709/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>
    nice video, nice riding skills

I know you'll think i'm a stupid stick-in-the-mud for this (i don't care), but please please don't tell me the caption is true and the video is from today on our closed trails? Please?!

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast