Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hey Tinercom,
    I don't think that any of this crew is into steroids. I did have four Pale Ales and four slices of Pizza last night = 7:51 on B Trail this morning ( good carbs )
    Hope to see you out there Tiner ...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32623649

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marty crosley
    Hey Tinercom,
    I don't think that any of this crew is into steroids. I did have four Pale Ales and four slices of Pizza last night = 7:51 on B Trail this morning ( good carbs )
    Hope to see you out there Tiner ...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32623649
    Just want to clarify, I was joking about steroids. One look at Lowell Moural would tell you there are no steroids involved. So Marty, the secret is to drink a bunch of Pale Ale the night before? I'm gonna try it.

mtbr member
    Sorry Tiner .. Little slow sometimes on the dry humor. Yea you know Lowell has a 7:20 but he will kill that soon. Don't know if he will have to wait for the Carbon Nomad to show up first but we know he will be in the 6's. Yea Pale Ale should do the trick... Ha Steroids I thought you were serious ....

WE RIDE !!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marty crosley
    Sorry Tiner .. Little slow sometimes on the dry humor. Yea you know Lowell has a 7:20 but he will kill that soon. Don't know if he will have to wait for the Carbon Nomad to show up first but we know he will be in the 6's. Yea Pale Ale should do the trick... Ha Steroids I thought you were serious ....

WE RIDE !!!!!!!!!
    Ok, Marty, I'm not gonna say my time, it was not even close to yours. It was light years from Nicks. I went over the bars once but all in all I put in a decent run for me. I lose tons of time on the brief uphill sections. I have tons of respect for anybody who can do it in under 8:00. We should ride sometime.

Butcher
    A big THANKS to the trail gnomes who have done some nice trimming of the oak and various overgrowth.

Upper Middle was especially nice this morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    A big THANKS to the trail gnomes who have done some nice trimming of the oak and various overgrowth.

You're welcome! I was up there last night for a night ride, and I'm sure my front wheel and shins contributed to the trimming. My buddies and I joked that we should strap a couple of weed eaters to our bikes the next time we go out. Upper part of South Rim is ridiculous!

mtbr member

agreed, and a good reminder for me to take my clippers in my camelbak this weekend

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone shuttle Guardians regularly? I could use a lift up there more often and I'd chip in for gas or I can drive (only a 2 seater though, better for the return trip)

Butcher
    Mellow ride down middle

rock wall at 9:10 mark

First time using the $99 costco GoPro Hero.

I need the chest mount for sure.

mtbr member
    Very cool! Looks like you started the clip right after the two steep ravines after coming off B-trail? I want to see some footage from the big ravine right above Bear Hole.

Butcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Very cool! Looks like you started the clip right after the two steep ravines after coming off B-trail? I want to see some footage from the big ravine right above Bear Hole.

Yep. It was a mellow cruise... just up the road to B-trail/Middle intersection. There were several stops as I was messing with the cam, so I cut out that stuff and the uphill sections. Had to trim to under 10mins to make the youtube requirements.

Just wanted to get something on tape for now. Hadn't seen anyone post vids of these sections yet, so I figured what the hell.

Which "big ravine above Bear Hole"? North side or South?

mtbr member
    ah, i meant below bear hole. As you're going up it's a pretty technical section just past the power lines on middle trail. Going down I do all right, but going up I've still had trouble cleaning the whole thing. Actually heading out tonight around 7:30 with a buddy, probably hit middle trail and that "other" trail up by devil's kitchen.

Obi
    mtbr member
    nickelbot...nice! (You guys suck for letting that jealousy be induced in me.)
    *Sadly, after riding there for 3 years all I'm thinking in the back of my head though is "tick? tick? tick? tick?" and not in the cool freewheel noise kind of way.
    I miss Bidwell...

How bad are the goathead thorns anyhow? Trails are looking actually really nice despite the recent weather?

A friend just moved up there and I'm cc'ing this thread to him. If anyone goes "Hey, I know Obi.. can you show me some trails" be nice to him.

Obi..

p.s. Melty, don't feel bad about the layoff, lots of us are there right now. Been back to school myself, earned another degree with the added funds to unenjoyment coming from a B.O.G. waiver and some grants. Give it a shot, free education is always good.
    Last edited by Obi; 06-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    ah, i meant below bear hole. As you're going up it's a pretty technical section just past the power lines on middle trail. Going down I do all right, but going up I've still had trouble cleaning the whole thing. Actually heading out tonight around 7:30 with a buddy, probably hit middle trail and that "other" trail up by devil's kitchen.
    this one?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    this one?
    yeah, that's a tough one sometimes - I had a buddy of mine stall and fall into that drop-off/hole at the bottom - on his back; on some rocks.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah, that's a tough one sometimes - I had a buddy of mine stall and fall into that drop-off/hole at the bottom - on his back; on some rocks.
    ouch. That's what hydration packs are for... they're body armor for the self-respecting xc riders who never wear such a thing

Butcher
    I did that once, when I first moved back to Chico and started riding again. It was one of the first times I ever rode while clipped in. On my way up Middle... got to the bottom of that toilet bowl... swung around right... and my front tire slammed into that little dip. I stalled, figured I was going over... so I clicked out (barely)... threw my bike as far left as I could... and then I slid down into the pit. My entire left side of my torso scaped along that cliff as I went in. That hurt. But I was more worried about the snakes that might be in there. So I got out, licked my wounds and finished the ride.

since then I've learned to just keep pedaling when you're coming down and all the way through that spot. Stay focused on a spot about 20ft up the trail and keep pedaling no matter what.

I used to call that spot 50/50. But now I'm pretty much 100% every time unless I have a mechanical.

mtbr member
    Yep, that's the one. Last time I got to the very last hard part and then stalled out. My buddy fell right at the bottom, he landed on the trail, and his bike went over the side down the hill. Better than the other way around! So far I've been able to keep it sunny side up on that section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    nickelbot...nice! (You guys suck for letting that jealousy be induced in me.)
    *Sadly, after riding there for 3 years all I'm thinking in the back of my head though is "tick? tick? tick? tick?" and not in the cool freewheel noise kind of way.
    I miss Bidwell...

How bad are the goathead thorns anyhow? Trails are looking actually really nice despite the recent weather?

A friend just moved up there and I'm cc'ing this thread to him. If anyone goes "Hey, I know Obi.. can you show me some trails" be nice to him.

Obi..

p.s. Melty, don't feel bad about the layoff, lots of us are there right now. Been back to school myself, earned another degree with the added funds to unenjoyment coming from a B.O.G. waiver and some grants. Give it a shot, free education is always good.
    No ticks so far, and I've been riding some pretty overgrown trails; upper middle, B-trail, upper annie bidwell/south rim. Always good to check yourself afterwards (or have a good friend do it ). As far as goatheads, they are not quite hard enough yet to make it through the tires. Another 1-2 weeks and they will be though, so break out the slime or whatever, or just be very careful to stay on the main part of the trail.

I picked up my first goathead flat last Saturday. BUT, I was riding a bit trashed and may or may not have stayed on the trail at some points. I blame the chico brew fest...

~Disc~Golf~
    Yep, that's the one. Last time I got to the very last hard part and then stalled out. My buddy fell right at the bottom, he landed on the trail, and his bike went over the side down the hill. Better than the other way around! So far I've been able to keep it sunny side up on that section.
    ^^^ That pic above sure doesn't do it justice huh...

mtbr member
    ^^^ That pic above sure doesn't do it justice huh...
    Nope, not at all. It actually looks very rideable until you get into that toilet bowl and have the hard right hand turn. Too hot coming down and you can't make the turn, too slow and you don't have enough momentum to get out. I used to ride with a buddy that could do that no problem each time...but he could also ride up tennis ball hill.

~Disc~Golf~
    ...but he could also ride up tennis ball hill.
    I can barely ride down it!
    from my first attempt - I ended up with a tennis ball sized lump on my knee - how fitting

to top it off, as I cleaned out my wound at nude beach, I noticed something glaringly missing

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Mellow ride down middle

[awsome vid]Yeah[/awsome vid]

rock wall at 9:10 mark

First time using the $99 costco GoPro Hero.

I need the chest mount for sure.
    Love it
    My family is having a reunion in Chico mid July. We'll be camping out at the Elks Lodge for a weekend and I want to take a few of the MTBers on the middle trail on that Saturday. Problem is most of them are flying in from out of state and can't bring their bikes. I can only bring two bikes with me. Is there a place in town that rents decent mt bikes?

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Being
    Love it
    My family is having a reunion in Chico mid July. We'll be camping out at the Elks Lodge for a weekend and I want to take a few of the MTBers on the middle trail on that Saturday. Problem is most of them are flying in from out of state and can't bring their bikes. I can only bring two bikes with me. Is there a place in town that rents decent mt bikes?
    North Rim Adventure Sports and Sports LTD rent bikes. Id call ahead and see what may be available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Being
    Love it

North Rim Adventure Sports usually has current year Trek and Fisher Demo bikes, you may want to call them soon to see what they have and reserve what you can.

http://northrimadventure.com/

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast