Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It's difficult but rideable. She needs to be an adult.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Rode last night, tacky and perfect. I'll be out there tonight too, 6pm @ Hooker Oak parking lot. B-trail is calling my name...

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    As the weather gets warmer and the sun comes up earlier, I want to start riding 2-3 days during the week in the morning before work. With a family, it gets tough to take 2 nights out of the week but mornings for me are a bit easier. Anyone interested in hitting the trails at 5:30am for a 1-2 hour ride once the weather gets a bit warmer?

It's still in the 30s before sunrise, but in the next 3-4 weeks that should be increasing into the 40s making it a lot more enjoyable.

organically fed
    looks like about 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

mtbr member
    I wish we had a larger network of fireroads nearby. It's certainly not nearly as fun as singletrack, but at least I can be outside in nature, turning the cranks, and getting in a lot of good miles of exercise. Hitting 30 on the downhills is it's own kind of fun too

Does anyone know where bike tires can be recycled in Chico or Oroville? I did try to throw one out a while ago and the trash guys picked it out and put it back in my can, plus I'd rather recycle anyway if possible

mtbr member
    I don't know about fire roads, but there are tons of dirt/gravel roads starting from 10 Mile House and also from Honey Run. It takes a bit to get up there on a bike but there are many miles of dirt roads between Chico, Forest Ranch, Cohasset and Paradise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    I don't know about fire roads, but there are tons of dirt/gravel roads starting from 10 Mile House and also from Honey Run. It takes a bit to get up there on a bike but there are many miles of dirt roads between Chico, Forest Ranch, Cohasset and Paradise.
    cool, time to explore some more Too bad there aren't more Saturdays during the week

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I'm all for the gravel roads too.
    Here's a route i've been doing that is gravel and paved, it's a good workout and remote: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25382583

Recycle tires here: AS Chico Recycling Donation Center, Corner of W. 4th St. & Cherry St., Chico
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    I'm all for the gravel roads too.
    Here's a route i've been doing that is gravel and paved, it's a good workout and remote: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/25382583

Recycle tires here: AS Chico Recycling Donation Center, Corner of W. 4th St. & Cherry St., Chico
    Thanks for both. That does looks like a good challenge; I didn't even know you could connect around like that. Do you know if any of the roads through the bottom of that canyon are decent alternatives to make a shorter loop as well (map says Stilson Canyon and Doe Mill)?

mtbr member
    If you're up for a drive and just want to explore a bit, take Garland Rd at Forest Ranch to where it intersect Doe Mill. Take a left (almost a u-turn) onto Doe Mill and head down into the Butte Creek Canyon. There is a short section of single track at the bridge if you want to ride it on the downstream side of Butte Creek. The trail continues for a few miles, but it get so rough and there are some stairs so it's hike-a-bike for a lot of it. BUT, there are some incredible views of the canyon and it's well worth the drive.

Blaino
    Anyone have some GPS (.gpx) files of some sweet single track in the Chico Paradise area or even KMZ's or KML's??? I will be down from Redding visiting my inlaws this weekend March 5th & 6th. I see on the website that Bidwell trails are closed. It seems I have read of a Honey Run DH ride??? Im mostly a XC rider but wouldnt mind doing a Downhill since I may have someone to Shuttle me.
    Blaine
    Blaino

mtbr member
    Open singletrack is going to be hard to find this weekend, since Bidwell is going to be closed. If you're OK with a bit of a drive, there are some great trails in Oroville and they're open all the time. It's about 20 minutes from Hwy 99 to the top of the Oroville dam, and you've got a pretty good choice of trails. Check these rides out:

1. Diversion Pool below the dam -> Up to the Dam (great singletrack): http://goo.gl/maps/Tr4t
    2. Potters Ravine (wide smooth trail from North side of dam): http://goo.gl/maps/wsOk
    3. North Fork (same side as Potter's, but 9.5 miles one way with one good creek crossing): http://goo.gl/maps/xVqQ
    4. South side of dam (no map for this one, but there are lots of horse and bike trails that extend many miles)

It's a bit of a drive, but it will be the best riding around with the trails closed around Chico. AFAIK, there isn't a whole lot of sustained riding trails in Paradise except for the flumes, which I wouldn't ride alone for the first time. Some of the catwalks are very narrow and extend over 100 foot cliffs, so if you eat it you run the risk of injury or death. You can always walk the sections with sharp turns just to be safe.

Flume ride video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2l803qEkow
    Garmin map showing a section of the flumes (from Magalia down to Pentz Road): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70287149

Blaino
    Thanks for the heads up TwoHeads! I'll deffinatly not be on the flumes..... I need more practice before I go riding catwalks...
    Blaino

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    a few new rules for upper park you should know.

1. trails are closed to bikes on all federal holidays.

2. rain now only closes trails named after numbers.
    (eg. trail 2)

3. people with a first name for a last name, are no longer welcome in upper park at all.
    (eg. george michael, michael vick, sean tracy ect..ect)

4. bikes are only allowed on the trails if the air temp. is over 92 F

like always report all infractions to the parks dpt.

thank you
    scot-tea
    president
    best friends for forever of bidwell park
    now get out there and ride! (as soon as it is 92F)
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by scot-tea

3. people with a first name for a last name, are no longer welcome in upper park at all.
    (eg. george michael, michael vick, sean tracy ect..ect)
    Vick is a first name?
    Last edited by highdelll; 03-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Yea did you see the new rule posted on the park web site " No Mountain Bikes allowed in Upper Park If Hikers are Walking on trails or Stretching in the parking lot "

new member : best friends for forever of bidwell park
    Bring the THUNDER !!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

it's short for victor

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Vick is a first name?
    fill free to add rules.
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. needs more rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

thanks marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty crosley
    Yea did you see the new rule posted on the park web site " No Mountain Bikes allowed in Upper Park If Hikers are Walking on trails or Stretching in the parking lot "

new member : best friends for forever of bidwell park
    we are looking for new members. with new ideas. we need rules.

would you like to be on the rules committe?

scot-tea
    president
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p

mtbr member
    we are looking for new members. with new ideas. we need rules.

would you like to be on the rules committe?

scot-tea
    president
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p
    I don't know about that, it's a bit hasty don't you think? How about we make some rules first about making new rules? Maybe we should schedule a discovery committee to appoint the scheduling committee and seek out a meeting location? If something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

~Disc~Golf~
    fill free to add rules.
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. needs more rules
    "Vic", yeah, short for victor - "Vick" - not so much - new rule perhaps?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    highdell,
    b.f.f.f.o.b.p. would you to be our internet sentinal.
    this will put you incharge of internet moutain biking.
    its pretty simple really. all we ask is for you to respond to every post in a slightly condesinding tone. wile showing your comand of the english langage by correcting spelling and gramer.
    thank you
    scot-tea
    president
    best friends for...forever of bidwell park

mtbr member
    If you're up for a drive and just want to explore a bit, take Garland Rd at Forest Ranch to where it intersect Doe Mill. Take a left (almost a u-turn) onto Doe Mill and head down into the Butte Creek Canyon. There is a short section of single track at the bridge if you want to ride it on the downstream side of Butte Creek. The trail continues for a few miles, but it get so rough and there are some stairs so it's hike-a-bike for a lot of it. BUT, there are some incredible views of the canyon and it's well worth the drive.
    I learned to trail ride in Butte Creek Canyon, rough and dicey. This was the 80s until 98, through fire, floods, and grows. In addition to position oak and mountain lions, speeding cars were always of critical concern. Center Gap Rd became one of my favorite rides up and back from my childhood home on Honey Run Rd. Always had a decent ridged 26 MTB Giant or Nishiki around. Id pump the well abused tires to max for the roads then air down. Occasionally, I would take HW32 to the valley by way of Doe Mill Rd. to what is now Wilder Dr, Canyon Shadows Rd and out.

Thinking about all this, I realized I would not mind doing a longish cross type ride from town up HW32 over to the Centerville and back. With the current unstable weather this could scratch the itch this weekend. Anyone down?

mtbr member
    I'm going to be hitting the road this Saturday, but if the weather holds I'd definitely be down for a gravel road tour.

Butcher
    Any news on the Trek Remedy that some dirt bag stole from one of the CATS members while he was working on B-trail? That was f'cked to say the least.

mtbr member
    Dude, what??? I hope it wasn't Daniel's. He JUST got his bike put back together after getting the frame warrantied from Trek. Did it happen just this last weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelbolt
    Any news on the Trek Remedy that some dirt bag stole from one of the CATS members while he was working on B-trail? That was f'cked to say the least.
    No update as of the Monday CATS meeting and I haven't heard anything more, but I'm not too connected with those guys.

I've heard some people talking about how we might have been staked out, sold out or something as a very nice carbon bike was nearly stolen month too but a latecomer happened to see the thief riding it down the park road and got the bike back, and then this bike which was one of the nicest in Chico gets jacked.

mtbr member
    Dude, what??? I hope it wasn't Daniel's. He JUST got his bike put back together after getting the frame warrantied from Trek. Did it happen just this last weekend?
    Nope, it's Loren's. Black Trek Remedy, RS Revelation World Cup with carbon crown and white lowers, XX drivetrain, XTR crankset, DT Swiss Tricon wheels. Keep your eyes out

May the Force be with you
    No it's not Daniel's bike. I guess someone tried to walk off with a bike last time they did trail work on B. That guy was caught in the act. It's a shame !

I'm planning a ride on Saturday if anyone wants to get out. Not sure when or where yet.
    I have the race on Sunday in Cool..

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's time for a bait bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the best friends for...forever of bidwell park
    recomend always locking your bike when out of sight.
    we do feel bad about this event.
    remember this hapend deep in upper park
    they are not hikers, they are suspects!

Ride Life.

'Ville

Anyone for an Oroville XC type ride later on today?
    I'm going out that way in about 1-2 hours (sorry, last min. decision).
    BIKES: ZERO GALLONS PER MILE.

mtbr member
    Okay...Just got back from a quick park road training ride. The road was dusty due to car traffic. Talked with the ranger, asked about north rim. Rumor has it, will be open tomorrow! Just thought I'd share the good news. Best, swill'n

May the Force be with you
    Quote Originally Posted by swill'n
    Okay...Just got back from a quick park road training ride. The road was dusty due to car traffic. Talked with the ranger, asked about north rim. Rumor has it, will be open tomorrow! Just thought I'd share the good news. Best, swill'n
    Thanks for the Info

mtbr member
    Arrrghghhgh!!!! I've been getting some road miles in, but my trail bike is in the shop. My fork needed to go back to Fox in Watsonville to be rebuilt/replaced, so I'm stuck riding on the road for the time being. I know the trails are just going to be perfect too, nice and tacky! Have fun out there, do an extra run for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by swill'n
    Was in the park this morning just before 8am. The park ranger passed me on his way out of upper park as I was heading in, all trail signs still said closed. Hopefully they will check and open this afternoon.

Butcher
    tick tock

mtbr member
    I went out hiking yesterday evening with my family and had a picnic up on monkey rock. The trails are hard packed and a bit DUSTY. I only saw standing water in a few areas, and those were tiny puddles. If they don't open the trails today, I'd be very surprised.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Open....go get it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Trails Are Open!!!!

mtbr member
    You think my 1987 Fuji Tahoe survive a north rim / B-trail run?

Butcher
    Beautiful sight

mtbr member
    You think my 1987 Fuji Tahoe survive a north rim / B-trail run?

Hell Yeah it will. I started riding those trails on a fully rigid back in the day. Not as fun as a fully though.

mtbr member
    My first ride up North Rim was in 1990 on a fully rigid Bridgestone. Now I'm on a 6" Commencal. I don't know why anybody would ride a fully rigid bike up there. Have fun with that. Maybe take the fenders off.

mtbr member
    Nah, I'll keep the fenders on just for the funny looks I'll get!

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinercom
    My first ride up North Rim was in 1990 on a fully rigid Bridgestone. Now I'm on a 6" Commencal. I don't know why anybody would ride a fully rigid bike up there. Have fun with that. Maybe take the fenders off.

Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Weekly Chico Rides?-surlybw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yep, rigid isn't bad at all here, you just can't expect to let loose and bomb the trails at the same speed. Ride it a bit slower and pick your lines more carefully through the rocks. Even cross tires can be fun in Upper Park

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mxracer33x]Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?[/QUOTE
    Soon I hope. Warm evenings call for beer and pump track fun. Your Surly is bada$$. Even if the bars are as wide as some of those gay fixies people ride around. Lets ride soon Jim.

Busted!!!
    [QUOTE=tinercom]
    Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Oh come on, its not that bad! Oh yeah, hows it goin? when is it time for pump track and :beer: at the LM residence?[/QUOTE
    Soon I hope. Warm evenings call for beer and pump track fun. Your Surly is bada$$. Even if the bars are as wide as some of those gay fixies people ride around. Lets ride soon Jim.
    LOL, they are actually a full 30" now! Lowell needed some skinny ones for his moms rig. I guess I was riding with sissy bars.

mtbr member

Downed Tree/Inpirational Photos.

On the start my ride yesterday up AnneB on the south side I can across this:

No way I can hop over that thing!

Anyway...trails are amazing right now. Thought I'd share some pics.

So smooth right now after the light rain...ahhh

Went up 10mile to Guardians and had a blast. Now get out and ride before it's 100degrees! Happy Trials.

mtbr member
    Yep, that tree is a definite obstacle. On my Tuesday ride, we found a way through the olive trees around it. Nice pics!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast